Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 01-05-17, 11:46 AM

Time to use the router again!

Got a problem while shaping the opening for the front panel. I could not reach the deeper areas with mounted guidance of the router. So I had to do them free handed. I don’t like the result but don’t know if I should risk damaging the main contour.

Front panel mounted, but backside front. Don’t want to get scratches on the grinding pattern.

Next step was to cut the panel for power and network cable. It too is made from 2 mm stainless steel, with a nice grinding pattern on it. The openings for the cable will be sanded and filled to look better.

Old 02-05-17, 10:19 AM

How much budget do you need to have all the needs!?
Old 02-05-17, 05:05 PM

The new bought watercooling components: 300 €
MDF-plates: 30 €, aluminium and other raw material 50 €, furniture foils 30 €, glas tubes 25 €, 50x RGB-LEDs 3 €, 10 m RGB stripes 20 €, fibre optics 20 €, screws, sleeving, silicon O-rings, other stuff ~30 €,...

I did not had to pay for all the raw material, I am using a lot of restover pieces from work. And I do not have to pay for the use of the machines, even the help with the CNC is for free. Even some suppliers from work help me, I'll get the anodization of the aluminium parts for free, same with the energie chains. Without these possibilities this project would not be affordable for me. I hope to keep my budget for the case itself (without watercooling stuff) around 250 € overall, but I am not shure if I'll reach this goal.
Old 02-05-17, 05:24 PM

The front panel has to be fixed from the backside. There’s only room for the fixing screws at the lower end. So I have to use a strong U-shaped profile and two M4 screws. To prevent the upper end to swing, only the lower screw has a limit stop. The upper screw pulls the upper end of the front panel back and guarantees a strong fixation.

I had to adapt several of my aluminium profiles and to add some nuts. But then I had a long awaited premiere: first time MB mounted in the new case.

GP and soundcard had to join. I removed some parts of the energy chains to get the perfect length.

I used an old power supply for adapting the mounting profiles. Picture shows work in progress (power supply still in oblique position).

To mount the top plate of the reservoir I first had to add some threads.

Old 07-05-17, 04:34 PM

Next step was to work on some long awaited parts, since I had to wait again for some help with the inner T-slots. I did all other manufacturing steps on the manual milling machine. The upper part of the reservoir is made from aluminium. I finished the cover for the lower part as well. Don’t mind the quality of the surfaces, they will be glass-bead blasted and anodized later.

Now all parts for my reservoir are finished. Time for test sitting!

Old 07-05-17, 08:58 PM

Looking sweet dude.subbed
Old 08-05-17, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADmodz View Post
Looking sweet dude.subbed
Thanks!

I turned my focus back to the energy chains and some minor issues which aren’t easy to photograph. I had to rework the end part of the energy chains to increase their bend angle to 90°.
I milled a framework for the ATX and USB energy chains. Photo shows work in progress, grinding of the inner edges isn’t finished.

Then I got impatient, couldn’t wait anymore and assembled all three energy chains. I have to unmount them again, but that’s worth it.

Old 08-05-17, 05:39 PM
Average Penis Too

Getting along very nicely mate, consider me subbed! Great work on those cables too, they look very unique.
Nr. #00 (Club Owner)

Old 08-05-17, 07:32 PM

Thanks! Can't wait to see them mounted, but this will take some time. One step by another...
Old 09-05-17, 02:15 PM
The Webmaster

huh, never thought I'd say this, but that's a damn-fine use of cable chains... that's a wicked idea.. stealing that for sure.
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | Corsair RM1000i | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro
Notice: Don't feed the trolls!