Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 13-10-16, 08:58 AM
The Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfie View Post
The rad to rad (which was where i cheated initially), is now a u shaped hardline bend. I don't like it though.
Sorry I must have skipped that when reading My bad!! You not cheating no more!

Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | Corsair RM1000i | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro
Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 13-10-16, 09:45 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
Aye fittings are the most marked-up, hyped-up thing on the market right now, they cost pence to make and cost the earth for us meer mortals. Really annoys me how restrictive they are because of the prices. Yet when they 'sponsor' someone they throw literally thousands of pounds worth of fittings their way because realistically they cost pittance to make.

FYI Surfie, I had to bend hardline for my rad-to-rad gap lol So cheating is still cheating :P
I really couldn't agree more. Want to see what happens when you use cheap fittings?

It's actually not the latest American hand gesture but me showing how badly these fittings have ripped my fingers apart. That cut on my pointer finger hurts like all hell. Every time I bend my finger...

And you want to see my right hand....

And they couldn't prevent Jack from being happy
Old 13-10-16, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Ha! My thumbs look quite similar!

Ok I've given this a lot of thought, and i think the solution is to change the order a bit, forcing more tubing to be visible, with the aim of making the runs, run parallel as much as possible (using 90 degree bends).

Proposed order, pump/res to gpu to top rad to cpu, to front rad to pump/res. I figure all the up and down. And back and forth will bring in some good opportunities for nice parrallel runs.

What do you guys think?
Old 13-10-16, 02:50 PM
OC3D Elite

More looks good IMO. Water cooling is a very mechanical thing, so the more of it you see the better I reckon.

Old 13-10-16, 06:34 PM
OC3D Elite

With tube behind the mobo, I was thinking you could reverse both rads port location (flip the top one around so the ports are near the CPU, and put the front rads ports on bottom). In that config, you could run a tube from the top rads rear port, behind the mobo, and return to one of the bottom ports on the front rad. But you'd need a lot of room to pull it off. I've done this with a build or 2 and it really cleans up the tube runs, and you can use soft tube behind the mobo to make it easier.

Old 13-10-16, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
More looks good IMO. Water cooling is a very mechanical thing, so the more of it you see the better I reckon.
There's two schools of thought here. With soft tubing, the idea was always to use as little tubing as possible, and keeping runs as short, straight and clean as possible. This is the approach that I was taking into this build.

Perhaps, because of its rigidity and hence it's straightness, with hard tubing that approach changes to the one you have above: More tubing is fine, as long as your bends are as few as possible, and 90 degrees where-ever they can be, and the tubes run horizontally or vertically, only. By extension, this should also reduce the number of connectors needed at the blocks, since if you are following this philosophy, you are also ensuring pretty much straight runs into the blocks/rads (which I need with my fittings). You've gotta be pretty much SPOT ON with your measurements though. One bend or cut in the wrong place, could mean having to redo a series of bends.

This is also the philosophy that I used in my revised loop order. In fact, up to a point, when viewed from certain angles, it could mean LESS visible tubing, since the tubes could be running parallel directly behind each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
With tube behind the mobo, I was thinking you could reverse both rads port location (flip the top one around so the ports are near the CPU, and put the front rads ports on bottom). In that config, you could run a tube from the top rads rear port, behind the mobo, and return to one of the bottom ports on the front rad. But you'd need a lot of room to pull it off. I've done this with a build or 2 and it really cleans up the tube runs, and you can use soft tube behind the mobo to make it easier.
This is a nice idea. Unfortunately, there are a couple of reasons that I don't think it can work for this build. One: the case is not really designed for that - I would need to punch some holes (not really a deal breaker - I can do it). Two: Whilst I did "cheat" initially and use some soft tubing, part of me (probably the OCD part) always hated the idea of mixing the tubes like that, so I really want to use hard tubing throughout the loop. Fill port/drain ports are ok to be soft - as they are not (technically) part of the loops daily operation (as an aside: I am in the process of obtaining a drainage tap to remove even the drain line from the scenario). Three: I don't really think that there is that level of space available behind the mobo tray - with my cable mismanagement, I am struggling to get the case back put on properly. Whilst I can fix that (and intend to) with some time, this tends to suggest that there is not that amount of room readily available.
Old 13-10-16, 08:24 PM
Hagrid Look-A-Like

Quote:
I really couldn't agree more. Want to see what happens when you use cheap fittings?

It's actually not the latest American hand gesture but me showing how badly these fittings have ripped my fingers apart. That cut on my pointer finger hurts like all hell. Every time I bend my finger...

And you want to see my right hand....
Don't fool yourself that this is limited to cheap fittings. I'm yet to find compression fittings that don't slice through your fingers when tightening them up lol
Old 16-10-16, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

New purchases!

Got some mdf and some blue marble wrap. What are these for? A roof mod, a psu cover and wrapping the entire case (maybe, maybe just parts of it).

Might need to rename the build though. Blue marble wrap doesn't fit with redlight district does it?

Any ideas for a new name?

Edit: I'm sorry Redlight District. It was a good name - still apt in some ways, but blue marble..... just looks SO GOOD.
Old 16-10-16, 11:57 AM
OC3D Elite

Yay modding materials

Old 17-10-16, 12:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yay modding materials
Indeedy.

I've also purchased a few other bits and bobs. Thinking about switching the radiators around (i.e. 360 inn the top).

Don't need to decide yet, but will need to soon.... Anyone got thoughts on this?