Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 30-06-17, 08:18 AM

[Build Log] Ryzen "SKYWALKER"

Greetings,
I am venturing into my very first PC build. However this is not going to be any ordinary build. This is a customized build themed around Luke Skywalker.

Skywalker is a multi-purpose build used as a work station and gaming machine. I am an engineering student using big CAD files. softwares that utilize 3D Rendering and 1080p gaming which I want to venture into Twitch streaming aswell.

Parts List

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X
CPU: Ryzen 1700X
GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ftw2
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
RAM: G.Skill 32GB (2x16) 3200mhz CL14
Boot: Intel 600p 1TB NVME M.2
Storage: 2x Seagate Firecuda 2.5" 1TB SSHD
Cooling: Alphacool Eisbaer 360 AIO Liquid Cooler
Fans: 9x Corsair ML120 Blue LED
Power Supply: Corsair HX850i
Cables: GamerChief Elite Sleeved Cables- White/Light Blue/ Light Grey

Customizations:
- Powder-coat the case white (minus the black plastic parts giving it a two-tone look)
- Thermoplastic plate for the power supply shroud.
- Modified lightsaber toy with green LEDs.

Old 30-06-17, 08:32 AM

The 360 AIO will be at the front of the case in push/pull using 6x ML120 fans. They will be connected to the mobo using a Corsair Link Fan Controller. This will allow me to get enough air-flow into my case despite the resistance of the radiator.

A 30mm Radiator with 2 sets of fans greatly reduces how long my GPU can be, eliminating any 3-fan GPU's I may want. But that's okay because the EVGA ftw2 is only a 2-fan GPU and the perfect colour coordination to fit a Star Wars build.

It also means that in order to fit the cooling in, I need to remove the front portion of the PSU Shroud and the Drive Cage. That is also okay because my storage drives utilize the 2.5" caddies behind the mobo.

This does however leave a portion of the PSU and cables exposed on one side so I am making a custom thermoplastic plate to cover it with a rubber gromit for cable pass-through.

The remaining 3 fans will be at the top and back of the case for exhaust. They will connect to the mobo using the 3-to-1 PWM splitter that comes with the AIO to minimize how many PWM Headers I am using on the mobo. Only using 2 PWM Headers will greatly help setting up my fan curves later.

For lighting. The blue LED fans will produce a sufficient blue glow over the front and top half of the interior. This will however leave a shadowed part underneath the GPU. Instead of simply placing an LED strip there, I decided to go further with my Skywalker theme by customizing a Lightsaber toy to sit horizontally underneath the GPU and illuminate this area. A Blue lightsaber would blend in too much with the other lighting so I have opted to go with Luke Skywalker's green lightsaber from Return of the Jedi to really make it stand out.

Extremely happy with the powder coating. Couldn't completely coat it because after spraying, it is baked in an oven to make the coat stick where any plastic components will melt but I am very happy with the 2-tone look.

**Protip. Buy screws to fill the screw holes before coating otherwise you will need to buy expensive tools to re-tap the threads.

The Lightsaber came in the mail. Trying to find the right sized toy was very difficult. They are either a full-sized lightsaber or a small keychain.

On ebay I found what is called Disney's Bladebuilder toy which comes with small Lightsaber attachments called "Lightdaggers"

The handle is too long and would extrude the light too far forward so I need to whip out the hacksaw and do some ghetoo modding. Also during the modding, the gold button fell out which needed to be glued back in place. Also some paint required touching up.

The idea is that I will take a green LED strip, wrap it tightly in thin packing foam and slide it into the tube. The foam will defuse the light from the LEDs so you wont see individual globes but rather a solid beam of light.

Gutted it out and drilled a hole through to the blade tube without damaging it. removing the battery cover creates a hole at the back for cable pass-through.

Old 03-07-17, 06:38 AM
OC3D Elite

This should be interesting to watch
NZXT Phantom 630 White=AMD Ryzen 1700X=Asus X370 ROG Crosshair VI Hero=16gig 3200Mhz GSkill Trident RGB= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=Corsair K95 RGB=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Creative Soundblaster ZXR=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Corsair MM800 RGB CE
Old 03-07-17, 08:51 AM

It's alive! Didn't get as much diffusion as I wanted but still enough. Despite the green plastic, other colours still work great.

Old 03-07-17, 05:52 PM
OC3D Crew

It looks interesting.
Old 08-07-17, 09:46 AM

Needs a rework on the PSU shroud as it clashed with the cables. Still not finished but looks amazing so far.

Old 08-07-17, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

I am getting worried about my mental health now. I took one look at those pics and thought "this needs to be a full custom water loop.".

Looks great so far though.