Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 11-10-20, 11:53 AM
firstbuild firstbuild is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 46
Motherboard for i9-10850K or i7-10700K

Hi, I looking advice for a motherboard, either for a i9-10850K or i7-10700K.


Its for video editing and encoding, and using Handbrake as well.


I would like a motherboard with as many Sata sockets as possible, 8 plus.


I seen the Z490Taichi, it has 8 Sata sockets but its a bit pricey so something along those lines.
Im happy with an SSD for system drive BTW.


I'm not sure about the CPUs as well If the i7-10700K will do the same job only a little slower at encoding, I'm OK with that.


Any thoughts and thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 27-10-20, 04:34 PM
firstbuild firstbuild is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 46
I bought an Asrock Z490 Taichi
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 27-10-20, 05:05 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 18,984
Can't believe that nobody replied to this until now. Have you bought a CPU, or are you still looking for advice on that?

For encoding more cores are helpful, but it's ultimately up to you and how much money you want to spend. The i7-10700k will definitely get the job done.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 27-10-20, 07:33 PM
firstbuild firstbuild is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Can't believe that nobody replied to this until now. Have you bought a CPU, or are you still looking for advice on that?

For encoding more cores are helpful, but it's ultimately up to you and how much money you want to spend. The i7-10700k will definitely get the job done.
Yes, I'm surprised too, that's why I wanted to update it regarding motherboard

Yes, still would like advice on the CPU I'm far from being an expert, that's what I need you guys for

I would have thought the i7-10700k would be bang on myself, I know the i9-10850K would have a bit more "poke" but regarding video encoding, it couldn't encode a 2hr timeline that much faster than the 10700K, could it? what, 10 mins faster or less?

I'd like this new system to be able to handle 4K footage, not that I record in 4K, I still record in HD but thinking ahead.

I've 32GB of
Corsair DDR4 Vengeance PC4-25600 (3200) and a
Corsair H100i RGB XT Cooler sitting wait

So, thanks for the advice WYP, looks like the 10700k is the CPU for me then

When the time comes, I'll need advice on the cooler, push,pull etc
Should I keep the thermal paste on it? or take it off and use another paste? and of course maybe a few bios settings for my MB.

Thank you again
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 27-10-20, 07:54 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 18,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbuild View Post
Yes, I'm surprised too, that's why I wanted to update it regarding motherboard

Yes, still would like advice on the CPU I'm far from being an expert, that's what I need you guys for

I would have thought the i7-10700k would be bang on myself, I know the i9-10850K would have a bit more "poke" but regarding video encoding, it couldn't encode a 2hr timeline that much faster than the 10700K, could it? what, 10 mins faster or less?

I'd like this new system to be able to handle 4K footage, not that I record in 4K, I still record in HD but thinking ahead.

I've 32GB of
Corsair DDR4 Vengeance PC4-25600 (3200) and a
Corsair H100i RGB XT Cooler sitting wait

So, thanks for the advice WYP, looks like the 10700k is the CPU for me then

When the time comes, I'll need advice on the cooler, push,pull etc
Should I keep the thermal paste on it? or take it off and use another paste? and of course maybe a few bios settings for my MB.

Thank you again
As far as the cooler goes, fan configuration won't change things that drastically. Just mount it the way that you think it will look best.

The stock thermal paste should serve you well. The cooler is designed to run well out of the box. The difference won't be that large, especially if you are keeping the CPU at stock clocks.

If you are just starting out, my advice is to keep things simple and move from there as needed. Nobody becomes an expert system builder overnight.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 27-10-20, 08:43 PM
firstbuild firstbuild is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
As far as the cooler goes, fan configuration won't change things that drastically. Just mount it the way that you think it will look best.

The stock thermal paste should serve you well. The cooler is designed to run well out of the box. The difference won't be that large, especially if you are keeping the CPU at stock clocks.

If you are just starting out, my advice is to keep things simple and move from there as needed. Nobody becomes an expert system builder overnight.
Thank you WYP I will indeed keep it plain and simple.

Thanks for now
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 03:17 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.