Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 23-01-13, 12:32 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoonk View Post
Just watched your vids and pics. I'd have to say that things look better than ever now with your rig. Quality hardware has been used, cable management is outstanding, lighting is one of the best I have seen, it came out great. Your rig is quiet, I watched your noise vids and with all that ambient noise I don't think that the rig was the source. Air flow started to become noticeable only when you put the cam right against it.

I was looking at your noctua fans and a question hit me hard... "what were they thinking when they build those fans?" . I would really like to sit down with a noctua designer or whatever, and listen to what he has to say about it. It looks different, pretty much all of their fans have exactly the same colors, I like them.

That Samsung SSD is gorgeous! I think they should use that kind of design for their smart phones too.. I bet they'd have bunch of success with that type of design.

I like the looks of the 650D case... I think I have mentioned this before. When I look at it it looks flimsy. I am really curious about how it feels... does it feel heavy? Does the build quality compare to the first original flat IBM's ( like mine ) with heavy and strong steel? I am guessing yes, cause it's 150 bucks, and that's not cheap at all.

Anyway, How are you?

hey man!

thank you for watching the videos! i am excited about my new hardware channel and i have lots of videos lined up, and ideas for more videos. i'm planning on doing about 1 per day and maybe 2 on some days.

with the lighting i really like the look of the phobia RBG flexlights with the IR controller so you can control and change the lighting color any time, but i don't know if i will go for that or not. i like the white and i like how it makes the yellow accents on the motherboard look in real life, but sometimes i find myself wishing i could just change it a bit and that is what the RBG flexlights allow you to do.

the mic on the camera does pick up a lot of ambient noise more so than the mics other people are using, but i guess that is just how the built in one is designed. you can only really hear the airflow noise when you are within about 1 or 2 feet of the case and even then you can barley hear it at all. any further than that and it is fairly silent.

i have always really liked the looks of the noctua fans too because i really like earthy tones. that is what originally drew me towards them way back before i really knew how good they really were. they have been my favorite fans for a few years now and i always use their coolers and fans in builds when i can.

i agree the ssd looks very minimal which is one of the things that drew me to it vs the crucial m4 that i was originally planning on getting. i went to the store and i was going to get an m4 but when i saw they had stock of the new 840s (they had just been released a week or so before at the time) i liked the look a lot so i decided to pick one of those up instead.

i was also pleased with their migration software, it took exactly 5 minutes to transfer the OS instillation data from my old 128gb m4 drive to the new drive and then the samsung drive was ready to boot as soon as that was done. it could not have been easier.

I have been taking down a list of notes regarding the 650D and soon i am going to record another video about it that is more comprehensive, but basically my feelings about it are that for the normal price of $200 you can't really do much better (other cases in the same price range include stuff like the CM Storm Stryker and NZXT Switch 810/Phantom, all of which i dont like because of all the plastic and the design), and some places have it for $149 now and its a steal for that price. most of the nit picky stuff i have found about it a lot of the other cases in the same price range have the same issues and none of them are really a big deal.

The build quality of it is good, the entire frame is all steel, it's not quite as thick as something like an old IBM case, but it's very similar. I don't know exactly how heavy it is when it's empty but it's substantial. The issues I have with it are mainly things like the plastic hdd trays i'd like to see steel ones like on the fractal r4, but more on all those things later in my video.

i am doing well! i recorded another video earlier today which i will release at some point soon and i have one uploading right now. i also activated my account with this new channel so i won't have any time limits on videos and so i can do some really long videos in the future potentially

how are you doing?

Old 23-01-13, 01:42 AM
OC3D Elite

New video (this is a much more comprehensive version than the last one i made)

Old 23-01-13, 03:20 AM
OC3D Crew

Hey!
I just finished playing some game... ( already forgot what it's called ) that I downloaded free to play from steam heh... and I've been playing since I last posted and it's been fun...
That is what I call speed!

That thing is pretty amazing... I saw some SSD's on one of the romanian online shops... they were about 85USD , 60gig or so when I looked a couple of months back. Was pretty determined to get one back then but then I thought that I needed more space, cause... for example playing BF3 off my HDD doesn't help, as you already know. I was surprised to see good prices but I guess it was because of the low storage capacity.

I've been busy these days ... I have been meddling with my graphics card, and I found out that there is no such thing as soft voltage increase. SO I was writing BIOS values for the voltages with no effect. So... I tried hard modding it! Saw a few mods on the internet and all I needed was a couple of 50ohm variable resistors. Thing is all the variable resistors i had were not what I needed so I used 2X4.1Ohm resistors and with a measuring machines I measured the voltage before the mod and after. The mod worked I had more voltage on the cores, but no stability because whenever I started furmark, it would crash, and I don't understand why. Well Anyway, it was a little experiment that I did mostly out of boredom I guess.

Yeah, well my case is so badly designed that... the cutout hole for the back plate of the cpu is actually lower .. and I don't know if it's cpu cutout hole but it looks close to one. The cable management holes are so small that you can't fit a molex trough... it's weird.

Ahh and the game's name is Arctic Combat, I remembered. Keep those nice videos coming brother
GFX: Sapphire HD3870x2 857/1053
RAM: 2x2Gb Kingston HyperX Blu 1600 MHZ 1,65 V
PSU: Inter-Tech SL-700 700W
Old 23-01-13, 03:55 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldog49 View Post
Thats one classy system you built yourself Andre.
thank you! looking forward to updates with your build

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoonk View Post
Hey!
I just finished playing some game... ( already forgot what it's called ) that I downloaded free to play from steam heh... and I've been playing since I last posted and it's been fun...
That is what I call speed!

That thing is pretty amazing... I saw some SSD's on one of the romanian online shops... they were about 85USD , 60gig or so when I looked a couple of months back. Was pretty determined to get one back then but then I thought that I needed more space, cause... for example playing BF3 off my HDD doesn't help, as you already know. I was surprised to see good prices but I guess it was because of the low storage capacity.

I've been busy these days ... I have been meddling with my graphics card, and I found out that there is no such thing as soft voltage increase. SO I was writing BIOS values for the voltages with no effect. So... I tried hard modding it! Saw a few mods on the internet and all I needed was a couple of 50ohm variable resistors. Thing is all the variable resistors i had were not what I needed so I used 2X4.1Ohm resistors and with a measuring machines I measured the voltage before the mod and after. The mod worked I had more voltage on the cores, but no stability because whenever I started furmark, it would crash, and I don't understand why. Well Anyway, it was a little experiment that I did mostly out of boredom I guess.

Yeah, well my case is so badly designed that... the cutout hole for the back plate of the cpu is actually lower .. and I don't know if it's cpu cutout hole but it looks close to one. The cable management holes are so small that you can't fit a molex trough... it's weird.

Ahh and the game's name is Arctic Combat, I remembered. Keep those nice videos coming brother

I will check out Arctic Combat now

I may have gone for the pro version if they had it in stock at the time (the write speeds for the pro is about 520 MB/s instead of 250 and I think it has better IOPs) but not a big deal really.

I definitely would not recommend a 60gb SSD even at $86, since you can get a 120gb for about $85-100

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-2-5-In...ords=128gb+ssd

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=77210&promoid=1338

My last drive was a 128gb and it only lasted me about a month before it was completely full, so I'd say 120/128gb is probably the smallst you'd want to go with one.

Also, I don't know if I would recommend it for a motherboard without SATA3 - I'm not sure exactly what performance is like for all SATA2 motherboards, but you won't be getting the most out of it. I even noted a noticeable increase in speed with the same drive on the X58 platform Vs Z77

I've actually seen fairly new cases (like the HAF X) that still have a very small CPU cutout that doesn't line up with any modern socket (it's the same cutout location as the HAF 932, which only lined up with LGA 775, but nothing newer) The newer CM cases like the Storm trooper/ stryker have a larger better cutout, though.

I'm sorry your voltage mod didn't work out. it sounds interesting though! do have any pictures of it?

Thank you for the support! I have lots of videos ready and lots of ideas, I just want to pace the uploads a bit
Old 23-01-13, 05:27 AM

Great log mate! Thoroughly catalogued
Old 23-01-13, 05:34 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrevautour View Post
New video (this is a much more comprehensive version than the last one i made)

Hi Andre , your pushing that cpu to it's limit there, I thought 90c is the limit for the 3770k. Pretty cool experiment though.

I noticed that hardware monitor doesn't give the correct 12v settings compared to the bios, on my system it's giving a 9.064v and in the bios it says 11.880v .
And the 3.3v is a little low and the 5v is a little high compared to the bios.
So I'm not sure if I'll trust what CPUID Hardware Monitor says , maybe it's just a glitch in the program.

I used the overclock button on the motherboard and I got 4.2 ghz at 1.200v , one day I want to try a manual overclock but I need to read more on it before I do it.
Corsair 650D, MSI Z77A-GD65 , I7-3770k, Corsair H100i w/sp120 QE ,G.Skill Ares 16gb 2133 c9, Asus Blu-Ray Burner, Asus Xonar STX ,Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb ,W.D. black 1TB ,Seagate 3TB, MSI GTX 680 Lightning, Corsair AX760i ,Case Fans : Front : CM 200 blue,Rear : Corsair AF 120 PE , Klipsch 2.1 , Sennheiser HD650 , 2 x Samsung 23" 1080p , Logitech G710+
Old 23-01-13, 07:26 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark3Max View Post
Hi Andre , your pushing that cpu to it's limit there, I thought 90c is the limit for the 3770k. Pretty cool experiment though.

I noticed that hardware monitor doesn't give the correct 12v settings compared to the bios, on my system it's giving a 9.064v and in the bios it says 11.880v .
And the 3.3v is a little low and the 5v is a little high compared to the bios.
So I'm not sure if I'll trust what CPUID Hardware Monitor says , maybe it's just a glitch in the program.

I used the overclock button on the motherboard and I got 4.2 ghz at 1.200v , one day I want to try a manual overclock but I need to read more on it before I do it.
hey there,
as far as heat i was keeping an eye on it - it didn't get to the high 80's until the 30 min mark right when the test was ending. most of the time it was around 80-85'c. i never let it go above 90 though, i ended it right when the second part of the video ends.

yes i know the hwmonitor doesn't display the correct voltages for some msi boards-- i also had msi control center open which does though

as far as overclocking it is really easy with ivy all you do is set the multiplier, voltage, and LLC if you want and turn off speed step and turbo for a fixed clock speed. you can also overclock the turbo so it turbos to what you set it instead of the stock 3.9 - both methods are very easy

have a look at master and puppets great guide, it's very good --

http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=45604
Old 23-01-13, 03:28 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrevautour View Post
I will check out Arctic Combat now

I may have gone for the pro version if they had it in stock at the time (the write speeds for the pro is about 520 MB/s instead of 250 and I think it has better IOPs) but not a big deal really.

I definitely would not recommend a 60gb SSD even at $86, since you can get a 120gb for about $85-100

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-2-5-In...ords=128gb+ssd

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=77210&promoid=1338

My last drive was a 128gb and it only lasted me about a month before it was completely full, so I'd say 120/128gb is probably the smallst you'd want to go with one.

Also, I don't know if I would recommend it for a motherboard without SATA3 - I'm not sure exactly what performance is like for all SATA2 motherboards, but you won't be getting the most out of it. I even noted a noticeable increase in speed with the same drive on the X58 platform Vs Z77

I've actually seen fairly new cases (like the HAF X) that still have a very small CPU cutout that doesn't line up with any modern socket (it's the same cutout location as the HAF 932, which only lined up with LGA 775, but nothing newer) The newer CM cases like the Storm trooper/ stryker have a larger better cutout, though.

I'm sorry your voltage mod didn't work out. it sounds interesting though! do have any pictures of it?

Thank you for the support! I have lots of videos ready and lots of ideas, I just want to pace the uploads a bit
Arctic Combat is a light game, doesn't need alot of resources, and it's pretty fun!

And yes, a 60GB SSD would have sucked because it's not only about space it's also about speed, bigger SSD's are faster too, but I wouldn't necessarily see the SATA2/SATA3 thing as an issue because, either way it'd still be alot faster than what I use now, I wouldn't be looking to break world write/read speed records, just get better performance. I also noticed that you got great prices for these things over there, they are much more expensive here. The cheapest SSD I have seen lately... actually yesterday before posting the message I was looking to see if there still are some intel SSD's 60GB cheap but I only found a 40GB Mushkin for about... $80 and I think that it's very expensive. Everything is here, with around 25% added taxes and crap.
Your SSD is still great, even with 250MB write speed, it's outstanding actually. But I wonder how long will an SSD last, cause I have this hard drive for years, and I have other hard drives that are actually a lot older. it is true that SSD technology isn't perfected yet, we still need to see sold drives with higher capacity.

My voltage mod, well I did it in the evening so the pics I took were crap cause my camera can't zoom in that far, so there was no point, I did try cause I wanted to show you but it didn't work at all. And yes, I am sorry it didn't work either, i wish I knew why, and what I need to make it work, it was hard to get things soldered in place and I am glad I can't even tell there was a mod made. I am disappointed that they made this card and didn't add voltage control although the card uses two voltera chips that could be controlled trough software but still, the only way to add more voltage on the cores is by hard modding it, which simply sucks.
PSU: Inter-Tech SL-700 700W
Old 23-01-13, 07:31 PM
OC3D Elite

New video

Old 23-01-13, 10:51 PM
OC3D Crew

Nice looking RAM. But I like these more:

what do you think?