Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 22-10-20, 01:51 PM
News Guru

Nvidia reportedly cancels their 20GB RTX 3080 and 16GB RTX 3070 launch plans

Does Nvidia think 8GB is enough?

Read more about Nvidia reportedly cancelling their 20GB/16GB RTX 3080/3070 graphics cards.

Old 22-10-20, 02:26 PM

I'd probably consider buying a 3080 if it had more memory.

But I think AMD is going to get my money this gen, if it does bring 16GB/12GB cards.
Old 22-10-20, 10:13 PM
Old N Gold

I really wanna know if Nvidia ever even planned 16/20GB Ampere models on 8nm. I really wanna know if they're scared of RDNA2 .
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 22-10-20, 10:29 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
I really wanna know if Nvidia ever even planned 16/20GB Ampere models on 8nm. I really wanna know if they're scared of RDNA2 .
Most definately are frightened. Worried for sure. But would never admit that
Old 22-10-20, 11:01 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Most definately are frightened. Worried for sure. But would never admit that
After the debacle they had recently I would say they were terrified. Why else would you do a paper launch?

BTW the rumours I have heard around about GDDR6X having poor yields can't be correct because the 3070 doesn't use it.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 22-10-20, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

I think it's yeilds that are not upto par, otherwise there would be plenty of cards lower yeilds means they can not get as many out as they would like, i'm expecting them to refresh with a new series far soon than people might think but this time on tsmc 7nm.
Old 23-10-20, 12:29 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNosser View Post
I think it's yeilds that are not upto par, otherwise there would be plenty of cards lower yeilds means they can not get as many out as they would like, i'm expecting them to refresh with a new series far soon than people might think but this time on tsmc 7nm.
If they do they'll peeve off a lot of current Ampere fans. Stock will increase over the next six months. People are already starting to see theirs. If a refresh does come very quickly, that would be maddening for them I would imagine.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 23-10-20, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Wouldn't be the first time they have done that, the 480 and 580 came out in the same year.
Old 23-10-20, 03:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNosser View Post
Wouldn't be the first time they have done that, the 480 and 580 came out in the same year.
Indeed. They don't give a toss how they treat their customers and never have.

That said I have always deplored people who rush out and buy tech on launch. It's the most stupid thing ever. My mate paid $400 for a 790i Ultra SLi motherboard with brand new tech DDR3. 4gb cost him $300. It did nothing but BSOD for two years. Even EVGA couldn't fix it.

In the end he threw it all in a box and sent it to me. I tried to update the BIOS but it refused, so in the end I had to force flash it (which is really risky). It finally worked.

Issues like this have improved over the years, but any new launch still comes with hiccups you shouldn't be prepared to pay top dollar for.

That's why I held off on Ryzen for so long. And the 20 series. Had I jumped on both at launch I would have had issues.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 23-10-20, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

I'm of the mindset all companies are the same really when it comes down to it, the only thing that changes what they do is the position they are in top of the pile or bottom is just a role reversal in truth.

I think getting on tech early so long as you know your being mugged and ok with it then no real issue it's when you expect more than the reality and complain then well it's your own doing.

I'm mostly the same only got onto Ryzen after the early issues were out of the way the 2nd gen was out so i got the first cheap.

Navi thou i'll be taking the risk but least this time it's not a hybrid of gcn and navi it'll be all navi i'd have liked the cards to have come a year ago tbh.

Nvidia will have a responce to amd they have too, but so much info going around from both sides it's often hard to decide which is a false leak to distract and which is factual, so I tend to go with my gut and think whats realistic.