Hello, just came back from holiday, finding all my parts delivered and ready to be assembled. So another update, pictures and specs:
PS. Sorry about picture quality i am no photographer and i should really get another camera
1. The heart of the server, CPU, intel Core 2 Duo E6320 1.86Ghz 4Mb got it for well cheap, was interested in E2160 but since 6320 was offered for the same price, i couldnt resist to have bigger cache, well hell lot bigger, 8 times bigger
2. The motherboard, got Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 3,3rev well known for outstanding overclocking results, and overall great mobo
3. RAM, got these for well cheap, Patriot PC2-6400 4-4-4-12, sorry but have already seated the modules, didnt want to touch them
4. Cooling, well i did do loads of research on this one, but heck it, couldnt find anything, so bought this one ThemalTake CL-P0187, thing weighs nearly half a kilo so guess thats a good thing
5. 3.5 grams of AS5
6. Because decided to go with non-integrated graphics, i had to find PCI graphics, Hercules 3D Prophet 4000XT 32Mb PCI, well at least it didnt cost me anything and doesnt steal any ram memory.
also needs PCI riser to be fitted in 1U case
7. Server case with Zippy 300W PSU, just love it in black
sorry no pics of hard drives, since they are already in the case and didnt bother to open it. But once ill start building ill definitelly takes some pics of them.
Anyway, since im here, one question, what OS would you recommend to have on this dedicated gaming server? Already have Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition key (good friend, gave me that for free
), heard that Linux servers are a lot more stable, but i am a complete Linux virgin so dunno hot to configure it or anything like that