Go Back   OC3D Forums
View Single Post
Old 01-04-13, 09:25 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG! View Post
When you say voltage regulation, don't you mean ripple? as in: better voltage reg = lower ripple.
Ah, yes, my apologies, should have clarified better.

I didn't actually mean ripple (I think), what I meant could more accurately be described as "how close are the actual voltages to their nominal values over the power spectrum from idle to full power".

So, for example, when drawing and providing little power (idle), the +12 V rail might supply 12.1 V, and when on full power, the 12 V rail might actually be only 11.9 V.

As an example of what I mean, see the graphs titled "Load Regulation" on this review.

I did indeed watch Tom's vid where the tested PSU blew up, and jonnyguru actually does articles from time to time where they go out and buy a cheap PSU just to see if they can blow it up by testing it to its full specs

What I conclude from both your answers and my previous knowledge is this:
  • A PSU which provides voltages too high above spec (say, 12.8 V on the 12 V rails ) may kill components, or at least shorten their lifespan significantly, same goes for serious ripple and spikes during transient loads (I suspected this already, but I'm writing it here for completeness).
  • A PSU which provides voltages below spec (e.g. 11.8 V on 12 V rails), while not harmful to components, might require more voltage tweaking on your components to reach a certain overclock (for example, the graphics card NRG! mentioned). If so, this is the answer to the question I actually meant to ask (clever me ).

If I've misunderstood anything, I would be grateful for any corrections/clarifications. Thank you both for your help!