OC3D Forums

OC3D Forums (https://forum.overclock3d.net/index.php)
-   Mainboard & CPU (https://forum.overclock3d.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Do you need to connect both 8pin and 4pin EPS on Asus Rog Maximum XI Formula? (https://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=91032)

Dawelio 28-11-18 03:26 PM

Do you need to connect both 8pin and 4pin EPS on Asus Rog Maximum XI Formula?

Hey guys,

Iíve got a question regarding my ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI FORMULA motherboard. Is it really necessary to have the 8 pin EPS CPU cable and the 4 pin? Or will it just be fine with the single 8 pin?... Whyís there another 4 pin for really?...

Thanks,
Dawelio

SuB 28-11-18 03:40 PM

title edited because of usual vague'ness

OnTopic.. Have you RTFM'd?

Dawelio 28-11-18 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuB (Post 996786)
title edited because of usual vague'ness

OnTopic.. Have you RTFM'd?

Because of usual doucheness answer from you, the answer to your question is yes.

Of course Iíve read the f*king manual, as you plainly put it in your link, but couldnít find a straight answer to my question. Hence me asking here... But seeing as everytime I try to ask something I canít find an answer to on the internet, I always get an Ēdummy stampĒ response from you.

I ask here because this community consist of people way more experienced and knowledgeable than me. And I do have learned my lessons of doing the research I can, before asking on here.

So Iíd advice you to please stop with all of the ĒWas it hard to GoogleĒ it and if Iíve read the manual or not. Cause Iíve done both.

Now that thatís out of the way, anyone that could give me a clearer picture on this?...
Cause it works with the 8 pin, just not sure what the + 4 pin is really for and if itís actually required as well or not?...

Dark NighT 28-11-18 05:02 PM

You don't need to connect the 4pin for standard use or some overclocking, the only time you would need that is if you where to go deep subzero overclocking, way past -150c.

Just put in the 8 pin and that will suffice.

trawetSluaP 28-11-18 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark NighT (Post 996794)
You don't need to connect the 4pin for standard use or some overclocking, the only time you would need that is if you where to go deep subzero overclocking, way past -150c.

That's my understanding also but if you have a spare cable you might as well connect it - I always do.

NeverBackDown 28-11-18 05:21 PM

To be fair the manual should have that answer. You probably didn't see it. As for the common sense part, every board has an 8 and it's fine. Which should make you guess an extra 4 isn't needed. Even if you didn't realize that you wouldn't hurt anything by trying to boot without it. The system wouldn't boot if it needed it and you'd get an error telling you as such.

Dawelio 28-11-18 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark NighT (Post 996794)

Quote:

Originally Posted by trawetSluaP (Post 996795)
That's my understanding also but if you have a spare cable you might as well connect it - I always do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverBackDown (Post 996796)
To be fair the manual should have that answer. You probably didn't see it. As for the common sense part, every board has an 8 and it's fine. Which should make you guess an extra 4 isn't needed. Even if you didn't realize that you wouldn't hurt anything by trying to boot without it. The system wouldn't boot if it needed it and you'd get an error telling you as such.

Thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated!

To answer you NBD, what I can find in the manual regarding the EPS connectors are the following:

Quote:

ē DO NOT connect the 4-pin power plug only, the motherboard may overheat under heavy usage.
ē Ensure to connect the 8-pin power plug, or connect both the 8-pin and 4-pin power plugs.
And to my understanding, that doesnít specifically answers my question really... Just says in general.

The reason I ask is Iím about to order custom cables and wondering if I should/need to add that extra 4 pin or not.

AlienALX 28-11-18 05:31 PM

Depends. On my FX Crosshair it was for the memory. 8 phase for the CPU and four for the RAM.

Dark NighT 28-11-18 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlienALX (Post 996798)
Depends. On my FX Crosshair it was for the memory. 8 phase for the CPU and four for the RAM.

The memory might have had a 4 phase, but no memory draws that amount of power, like ever to need a 4pin on its own.

Sounds like a wicked power design :P

AlienALX 28-11-18 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark NighT (Post 996800)
The memory might have had a 4 phase, but no memory draws that amount of power, like ever to need a 4pin on its own.

I'm glad you have experience with my motherboard. Because I really didn't have a clue (yes that was terribly sarcastic)

http://m.hardocp.com/article/2012/11...board_review/1

The original board used an 8+2 power phase solution and the Formula-Z uses an 8+2+2 setup

Noting, the last two phases were for the memory and got their power from the 4 pin. Without which the board would not boot.