OC3D Forums

OC3D Forums (https://forum.overclock3d.net/index.php)
-   OC3D News (https://forum.overclock3d.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Early Stadia reviews highlight game streaming's latency hit (https://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=93412)

WYP 18-11-19 06:16 PM

Early Stadia reviews highlight game streaming's latency hit
 
Are you prepared for the extra input lag?

https://overclock3d.net/gfx/articles...130013449l.jpg

Read more about Google's Stadia input lag.

NeverBackDown 18-11-19 08:10 PM

That's pretty awful for something so hyped up. They need to cut this more than in half at minimum

AlienALX 18-11-19 08:28 PM

It's not so much the lag that screws it for me. It's the fact that it needs a 200mb connection which is mostly not even available in the UK for 4k which apparently isn't even 4k and gets hammered in visual quality by a XB1X at 4k.

How well will it fare against the two new consoles? Not very well I'd guess.

IDK.. the price seems OK but I just can't see it taking off. Those who have a 200mb connection usually have the funds for a decent console or PC. So it's only really going to appeal to casual gamers.

Greenback 18-11-19 09:13 PM

I'd think even for casual gamers Xcloud + Gamepass would be a better option over stadia

Warchild 18-11-19 09:44 PM

Didnt they claim less lag than consoles? :D what happened there.

Avet 18-11-19 10:09 PM

It will still be bought by millions who don't even know what latency is.

ImprovizoR 18-11-19 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warchild (Post 1012853)
Didnt they claim less lag than consoles? :D what happened there.

To add to hilarity of this highly predictable fiasco, they called it "negative latency".

NeverBackDown 19-11-19 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImprovizoR (Post 1012855)
To add to hilarity of this highly predictable fiasco, they called it "negative latency".

Did they seriously say that? They deserve all the flame then :flamed:

Dark NighT 19-11-19 01:03 AM

This is the kind of news i really like when things go this bad for a new thing that clearly... should have been delayed, refined, worked out and had a decent incentive for people to get into. but it didn't have any of those things and if, or rather when Google pulls the plug on this thing, none of your games that you bought will stay with you.. (where you own a license to play because you paid full price)

Yeah well played google. I hope people drop this quickly and look elsewhere.

tgrech 19-11-19 08:45 AM

Latency is still less than a lot of TVs filter modes tbf. Not pro gamer tier but it's less than last gen consoles. If you used an average TV/not setup right and a wireless controller you'd probably end up in a similar ballpark in terms of total latency.

While Stadia has no competition it seems like it will do OK, this is a very popular niche they're breaking in to, its essentially the new premium handheld gaming platform. But its unlikely they could compete with XCloud.

trawetSluaP 19-11-19 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgrech (Post 1012869)
Latency is still less than a lot of TVs filter modes tbf. Not pro gamer tier but it's less than last gen consoles. If you used an average TV/not setup right and a wireless controller you'd probably end up in a similar ballpark in terms of total latency.

While Stadia has no competition it seems like it will do OK, this is a very popular niche they're breaking in to, its essentially the new premium handheld gaming platform. But its unlikely they could compete with XCloud.

Most modern TV's, including my own have a Game Mode with less then 20MS response time.

meuvoy 19-11-19 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avet (Post 1012854)
It will still be bought by millions who don't even know what latency is.

This is some future thing. I really don't see why google is doing this now... Game streaming is a technology about 4-5 years away. When we have 5G actually implemented and you don't need expensive, high speed fiber optic connections for a solid 1ms latency connection to the internet, then something like this will be worth it, especially when you're out and just want to chill in the backseat for example. For now tho, it's really just something for the really lazy ones that don't want to mess with cables behind their TV.

I will be testing it when my ISP installs my fiber connection but I do not have high hopes, and to be honest, I don't find pricing to be good enough to justify.

tgrech 19-11-19 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trawetSluaP (Post 1012870)
Most modern TV's, including my own have a Game Mode with less then 20MS response time.

Exactly, it takes a modern TV with gamemode to get down to 20ms, for just as many it will probably be in the same 40-50ms ballpark as Stadia. Use a generic or last gen wireless controller and that's another 15ms on top anyway.

If you had audio lagging an image by this 50ms delta a human would still be a very long way off being able to tell they're out of sync, it's not a noticeable amount for us with our 250ms reaction times(Obviously the tables turn in the very specific competitive scene but I don't think there's many of those games here).

Warchild 19-11-19 10:02 AM

This whole thing though... MS spoke up and claimed as well as a discreet towards Google, that streaming in this respect is still a few years away. The above issues confirm it.

Even UBISOFT CEO stated that we will see at least one more generation of consoles before streaming becomes the new gaming method.

tgrech 19-11-19 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warchild (Post 1012874)
This whole thing though... MS spoke up and claimed as well as a discreet towards Google, that streaming in this respect is still a few years away. The above issues confirm it.

Depends on the market you're in ofc, UK/US and much of Europe are like 20+ years behind Japan or eastern European countries with nationalised broadband infrastructure in terms of fibre coverage. UK could have had a full scale roll out in 1990 if it wasn't for privatisation but lets not get into that.

I don't see a point kicking up a fuss that companies aren't focusing on ME right now, because things will move along quickly and everything has teething issues. We've now got 22 cities in the UK with 5G coverage so it's hard to say we have no market for it yet.

Darkdayzzz 19-11-19 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meuvoy (Post 1012872)
When we have 5G actually implemented and you don't need expensive, high speed fiber optic connections


These words won't ever happen. 5G will be nice sure but it be expensive as all get out, over-hyped (much like it currently is), and probably not nearly as stable as fiber is. 5G will likely launch, fall on its face for 5 years, then get better as ISP won't be able to leave it alone and will have to finally fix their infrastructure.


Atleast we can hope haha.


Also don't forget about the data caps you'll hit really fast and that will cause that awesome 5G speed to kill itself over and over again and become nigh unusable if you are in a third world internet country like myself in the US! YAY!

demonking 19-11-19 01:33 PM

I just feel sorry for the uninformed masses that buy these expecting to get what google advertised. Anyone who has spoken to me ref these has been advised to keep well away for at least 6 months. Its not ready, the game publishers are not ready and the network infrastructure barely exists to get what is being advertised. I don't understand companies that race to get to the post first at the cost of reputation and integrity, but its google so what did I expect.

tgrech 19-11-19 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkdayzzz (Post 1012888)
These words won't ever happen. 5G will be nice sure but it be expensive as all get out, over-hyped (much like it currently is), and probably not nearly as stable as fiber is. 5G will likely launch, fall on its face for 5 years, then get better as ISP won't be able to leave it alone and will have to finally fix their infrastructure.


Atleast we can hope haha.


Also don't forget about the data caps you'll hit really fast and that will cause that awesome 5G speed to kill itself over and over again and become nigh unusable if you are in a third world internet country like myself in the US! YAY!

5G has already launched, already standard on the top tier data plan of many mobile suppliers here, Ookla did an in detail review of real world 5G in the UK yesterday and found typical FTTC tier latency and download speeds across the board. Unlimited data 5G contracts are about £30, which is roughly the same as our home broadband costs at 50mbps.
https://www.speedtest.net/insights/b...-kingdom-2019/

[Speeds are ofc slower than countries that haven't had a full scale roll out and a few months of mass availability but at least it gives us a good early idea of somewhat loaded 5G networks]

But still, fibre should and likely will be cheaper, we're just getting slightly shafted in the West in that regard.

demonking 19-11-19 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgrech (Post 1012894)
5G has already launched, already standard on the top tier data plan of many mobile suppliers here, Ookla did an in detail review of real world 5G in the UK yesterday and found typical FTTC tier latency and download speeds across the board. Unlimited data 5G contracts are about £30, which is roughly the same as our home broadband costs at 50mbps.
https://www.speedtest.net/insights/b...-kingdom-2019/

[Speeds are ofc slower than countries that haven't had a full scale roll out and a few months of mass availability but at least it gives us a good early idea of somewhat loaded 5G networks]

But still, fibre should and likely will be cheaper, we're just getting slightly shafted in the West in that regard.

It'll be even cheaper if Corbyn gets in with free FTTC for all and a 4 day week to play on your new Stadia :eek: lol

tgrech 19-11-19 05:10 PM

Well BT did spend decades developing fibre optic tech into a viable system because it would have been cheaper to do a roll out when work was complete in the 80's than extending out and maintaining copper. But alas, Thatcher sold off the tech, IP and factories that were ready to deliver FTTH across the country in 1990 and left us with private companies whose only desire was to drag out copper to reduce short term costs.

Nationalising the infrastructure division of BT (OpenReach) is 3 decades overdue, this British tax-payer developed tech should never have been sold for scraps to Tory MP mates in the first place. The Tory govt's own reports on the loss of productivity to the third of UK businesses struggling with inadequate access puts the economic damage in the tens of £Bn's annually.

ImprovizoR 19-11-19 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverBackDown (Post 1012860)
Did they seriously say that? They deserve all the flame then :flamed:

Oh yeah: https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/10/...ative-latency/

NeverBackDown 19-11-19 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImprovizoR (Post 1012902)

Jesus.... Maybe if you had direct access to an Ethernet port on the server itself. But then mine as well have it locally!

tgrech 19-11-19 07:39 PM

It's worth remembering the "Negative Latency" tech isn't actually in use yet and would only apply to online multiplayer games (And comes from essentially calculating out the latency of the online server by buffering everything, would require changes to games online code). Dumb name for that concept but seems fairly sound tech wise, almost certainly will be equivalents in other services that also involve MP hosting like XCloud.

Peace – 20-11-19 12:09 PM

Well, this was to be expected instantly.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.