OC3D Forums

OC3D Forums (https://forum.overclock3d.net/index.php)
-   MSI UK Forum (https://forum.overclock3d.net/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Is there anyone from MSI here? (https://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=74264)

Chris230291 23-01-16 03:18 PM

Is there anyone from MSI here?

As the title says, looking to speak to someone from MSI.

Cheers,
Chris.

AlienALX 23-01-16 03:27 PM

They have a rep (Rawz) but he's more of a promotional rep than a direct rep.

Chris230291 23-01-16 04:56 PM

The first time I did an RMA with MSI it was relatively fast. The second and third time were not, waiting weeks between email responses.

Hoping someone on here could help speed up the process.

Chris.

WYP 23-01-16 04:59 PM

you should be able to get a hold of RawZ on monday when the work week starts, he should be able to help you out.

Chris230291 23-01-16 05:15 PM

Awesome thanks. Hopefully he sees this.

WYP 23-01-16 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris230291 (Post 891401)
Awesome thanks. Hopefully he sees this.

He checks the MSI sub forum regularly, so he should see this.

MSIRawZ 26-01-16 10:42 AM

Hey Chris.

What appears to be the trouble?

Chris230291 27-01-16 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSIRawZ (Post 891742)
Hey Chris.

What appears to be the trouble?

Hi. I've been having nothing but trouble with the GTX 780 Twin Frozr and MSI RMA department. I have 2 of them in SLI. The first card ran problem free for 11 months, then I started to get an annoying grinding noise coming from the fans. The MSI RMA department took care of it and replaced the card, the process from start to finish took 2-3 weeks. My second card, that was added later, stopped working all together about 8(?) months after purchase. My PC wouldn't post with it installed. I contacted the RMA department again and after waiting much longer than I did the first time, I got a replacement. A few weeks later the second card that was just replaced stopped working again, this time a different fault. After waiting literally weeks in between email responses from MSI, they finally replaced it for the second time.

Now that second card has stopped working yet again and I was hoping someone could help me get this sorted ASAP. I'm certain it's through no fault of my own that these cards keep breaking. I have a decent PSU and once installed these cards are left alone. I have done no BIOS flashing or overclocking at all.

Is there anything you can do to help me out here?

Cheers,
Chris.

MSIRawZ 27-01-16 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris230291 (Post 891917)
Hi. I've been having nothing but trouble with the GTX 780 Twin Frozr and MSI RMA department. I have 2 of them in SLI. The first card ran problem free for 11 months, then I started to get an annoying grinding noise coming from the fans. The MSI RMA department took care of it and replaced the card, the process from start to finish took 2-3 weeks. My second card, that was added later, stopped working all together about 8(?) months after purchase. My PC wouldn't post with it installed. I contacted the RMA department again and after waiting much longer than I did the first time, I got a replacement. A few weeks later the second card that was just replaced stopped working again, this time a different fault. After waiting literally weeks in between email responses from MSI, they finally replaced it for the second time.

Now that second card has stopped working yet again and I was hoping someone could help me get this sorted ASAP. I'm certain it's through no fault of my own that these cards keep breaking. I have a decent PSU and once installed these cards are left alone. I have done no BIOS flashing or overclocking at all.

Is there anything you can do to help me out here?

Cheers,
Chris.

Not good :( Sorry to hear these replacements keep breaking on you. I'm not sure why it could be to be honest. The obvious sign points to system error of some kind but it could literally be anything. What were the faults in the past and including this one?

I know it's not something you want to hear again but RMA'ing is your best option by contacting [email protected]. They will deal with this request and decide on the best resolution.

If they request that you need to ship the item to NL yourself please let me know and I'll ship it for you so you don't have to pay for shipping costs.

Chris230291 27-01-16 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSIRawZ (Post 891921)
Not good :( Sorry to hear these replacements keep breaking on you. I'm not sure why it could be to be honest. The obvious sign points to system error of some kind but it could literally be anything. What were the faults in the past and including this one?

I know it's not something you want to hear again but RMA'ing is your best option by contacting [email protected]. They will deal with this request and decide on the best resolution.

If they request that you need to ship the item to NL yourself please let me know and I'll ship it for you so you don't have to pay for shipping costs.

Thanks for the quick reply.

As I said, other than the problem with the fans on the first card, card number 1 have been fine.

Card number 2 just stopped working one day. I had no idea it was the card at fault until removing it allowed my system to post.

Card number 2, replacement 1 gave me graphical glitches shortly after receiving it before packing in all together.

Card number 2 replacement 2 (this one) has been fine for a long time. They shipped it to me on 7/7/2015 and has only just started to give me problems. With SLI enabled in fullscreen mode, games often crash on launch (Nvidia driver crash) and my system locks up requiring a hard reset. Running SLI with games in windowed borderless results in low choppy FPS, but no crash.

So why do I think card 2 is at fault? Card 2 seems to work perfectly well on it's own (so MSI RMA will likely see no fault), but even with SLI disabled and the card still installed in the system, some games have very small graphical glitches. Glitches that disappear when the card is removed.

I'm no expert but I cant see the problem being with card 1 based on the issues I'm having. When I say card 2 seems to work fin on it's own, it's running in the same PCI slot that it always has done, just with card 1 removed. I cant imagine it being a problem with my system as the faults aren't consistent on symptoms or timing. If cards were instantly breaking on boot, i'd say it was the system.

Maybe you can advise me on how to make certain which card is at fault before I contact the RMA department. Maybe both are at fault?

Also, I have done driver sweeps, rollbacks and fresh installs of windows. No joy there.

Thanks for the offer with the shipping but it wont cost me anything.

Cheers,
Chris

EDIT: Absolutely no idea if this is normal or not, but the 2nd card gives consistently poorer results in a stress test (both using same PCI slot)...

http://f.cl.ly/items/2f3j0a3e3i1u0Q0...%20results.png

I cant tell any difference in games when each card is run solo. Both seem to run fine, they just dont like being together it seems :S

EDIT 2: That last comment I made gave me a eureka moment. I decided to test the SLI bridge and discovered one of the tracks was broken and not making contact. I replaced the bridge with a spare one and now I get no graphical glitches when running SLI in games and in furmark. However my PC still keeps crashing, even when not running any games or stress tests. I did spot a BSOD that mentioned something that turns out to be a GPU driver issue. I literally just installed an update from nvidia which did not help at all. My PC just hangs unexpectedly and occasionally decides to throws up a BSOD (varying error). I remove the second card and I get no issues what so ever. Doesn't seem to matter which card I remove, just not having 2 seems to stop the crashes.

Could a card fault have caused the SLI bridge to burn out? Maybe drawing too much current or something?

I'm really confused here. Any help is appreciated.

MSIRawZ 28-01-16 09:42 AM

So as I understand it now no matter which card you use in single VGA usage you don't get any errors, but when using two in SLI you get BSOD and lock-ups?

If that's the case it could mean that:
a.) NV driver issue
b.) 2nd PCI-e x16 slot is at fault on the motherboard
c.) Not enough power is getting to the 2nd VGA from the PCI-Express slot (may be linked to option b. above)
d.) 1st VGA card in SLI mode is getting too hot (have you checked temps on it?)

Have you tried completely nuking all drivers from Windows? To do this download & install DDU here: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html

Once that's done, install the latest NV drivers available to you again. If that doesn't fix the issue then it may be motherboard related.

Chris230291 28-01-16 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSIRawZ (Post 891980)
So as I understand it now no matter which card you use in single VGA usage you don't get any errors, but when using two in SLI you get BSOD and lock-ups?

If that's the case it could mean that:
a.) NV driver issue
b.) 2nd PCI-e x16 slot is at fault on the motherboard
c.) Not enough power is getting to the 2nd VGA from the PCI-Express slot (may be linked to option b. above)
d.) 1st VGA card in SLI mode is getting too hot (have you checked temps on it?)

Have you tried completely nuking all drivers from Windows? To do this download & install DDU here: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html

Once that's done, install the latest NV drivers available to you again. If that doesn't fix the issue then it may be motherboard related.

While I guess driver issues are still plausible, I doubt it as I've already used DDU, tried multiple NV drivers and even done a fresh install of Windows.

The second PCI slot defiantly works to some extent because I can run one card (other removed) in it problem free. I have no idea if it's getting enough power though. Is there any way to check that?

Temps seem fine. In furmark they both get to 79 then down clock to keep within thermal limit.

If there are any tests I can do I will go ahead and try them.

MSIRawZ 28-01-16 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris230291 (Post 892023)
While I guess driver issues are still plausible, I doubt it as I've already used DDU, tried multiple NV drivers and even done a fresh install of Windows.

The second PCI slot defiantly works to some extent because I can run one card (other removed) in it problem free. I have no idea if it's getting enough power though. Is there any way to check that?

Temps seem fine. In furmark they both get to 79 then down clock to keep within thermal limit.

If there are any tests I can do I will go ahead and try them.

Thanks for confirming.

Hard to say what else really. It could be a dodgy SLI finger on one of those cards that messing up the SLI config. You've already tried another bridge so it could be the finger instead.

It may also be that not enough bandwidth is getting to the 2nd card when in SLI via the PCI-Express slot. I'm sure some software can check this but it may be an intermittent power loss when it happens so I don't think software could check this.

Chris230291 28-01-16 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSIRawZ (Post 892024)
Thanks for confirming.

Hard to say what else really. It could be a dodgy SLI finger on one of those cards that messing up the SLI config. You've already tried another bridge so it could be the finger instead.

It may also be that not enough bandwidth is getting to the 2nd card when in SLI via the PCI-Express slot. I'm sure some software can check this but it may be an intermittent power loss when it happens so I don't think software could check this.

Does it matter which finger I use with the SLI bridge? I was always using the one closest to the PCI bracket. Would using the inner one work too?

I don't have another board so I cant test if the board is at fault. It doesn't have any error codes on the LED read out, but I don't know if that means it's problem free or not.

MSIRawZ 28-01-16 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris230291 (Post 892031)
Does it matter which finger I use with the SLI bridge? I was always using the one closest to the PCI bracket. Would using the inner one work too?

I don't have another board so I cant test if the board is at fault. It doesn't have any error codes on the LED read out, but I don't know if that means it's problem free or not.

I doubt the Debug LED on that board would show that something was up with the 2nd PCI-E.

Regarding the fingers - You know what, I don't know! :D Only one way to find out?.. :)

Chris230291 01-02-16 07:45 PM

Ok well after some more poking around I have discovered that running a more intensive game with only the second card installed causes my PC to crash. So I guess the second card is the problem? Swapping to the 1st card in the same PCI slot the game runs sweet. Could this be coincidence? This is on yet another fresh install of Windows 10.

I started to believe it could be a power/PSU issue as the problems started shortly after we were having severe power problems in the area (power quickly switching on and off and constant power cuts). The PC is plugged into a surge protected socket and I have a decent PSU, so i'd assume those 2 things would protect my hardware from any problems that could be caused by this?

Cheers,
Chris.