OC3D Forums

OC3D Forums (https://forum.overclock3d.net/index.php)
-   OC3D News (https://forum.overclock3d.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   AMD's Ryzen 7 5700G APU leaks online, a next-generation Cezanne processor (https://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=96632)

WYP 11-04-21 01:47 PM

AMD's Ryzen 7 5700G APU leaks online, a next-generation Cezanne processor
 
Zen 3 cores and Vega graphics are a potent combination.

https://overclock3d.net/gfx/articles...133152937s.jpg

Read more about AMD's Ryzen 7 5700G processor.

Dicehunter 11-04-21 02:30 PM

I would've thought they would be using RDNA and not the overly tired Vega architecture.

WYP 11-04-21 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicehunter (Post 1032786)
I would've thought they would be using RDNA and not the overly tired Vega architecture.

To be fair, the display controller is modified/upgraded and Vega itself has been optimised to support much higher clock speeds. It has some clock speed focused changes that RDNA 1 lacked at the time.

So it is Vega but it isn't.

ET3D 11-04-21 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicehunter (Post 1032786)
I would've thought they would be using RDNA and not the overly tired Vega architecture.

Vega was always good enough. Intel still doesn't have an iGPU that comes close on the desktop side, and although it's competitive in mobile, that's quite recent and Vega is still in the race there in a reasonable manner.

On the CPU side, on the other hand, AMD was behind and it's only with Cezanne that it's ahead on both single-threaded and multitreaded.

So it made sense for AMD to stick with a tried and true design for the GPU and only update the CPU.

Still, next gen is expected to be RDNA 2.

WYP 11-04-21 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ET3D (Post 1032788)
Vega was always good enough. Intel still doesn't have an iGPU that comes close on the desktop side, and although it's competitive in mobile, that's quite recent and Vega is still in the race there in a reasonable manner.

On the CPU side, on the other hand, AMD was behind and it's only with Cezanne that it's ahead on both single-threaded and multitreaded.

So it made sense for AMD to stick with a tried and true design for the GPU and only update the CPU.

Still, next gen is expected to be RDNA 2.

Yeah, and TBH, AMD was better off focusing on the desktop side of RDNA 2 before moving it down to mobile. AMD still needs to spend its resources wisely, and while better iGPUs would be great, they are not a priority ATM. Better iGPUs won't gain them much market share ATM.

NeverBackDown 11-04-21 09:58 PM

This is all true but we are quite a ways into RDNA2 and their roadmap starting years ago you'd think would have upgraded now. They've released what 3 versions of APUs while RDNA was out? Just seems like a deliberate choice. Must be a technical reason. Especially since RDNA is very power efficient for amd.

WYP 12-04-21 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverBackDown (Post 1032794)
This is all true but we are quite a ways into RDNA2 and their roadmap starting years ago you'd think would have upgraded now. They've released what 3 versions of APUs while RDNA was out? Just seems like a deliberate choice. Must be a technical reason. Especially since RDNA is very power efficient for amd.

As I have mentioned before, changes have been made to Vega to make it a lot more power-efficient. There is a reason why AMD's 4000-series APUs have GPU clocks as high as 2.1GHz, which is higher than RDNA 1.

RDNA launched in June 2019, after which came the Ryzen 4000 series of APUs in 2020 with enhanced Vega graphics.

The simple answer for AMD's lack of upgrades probably comes down to budget and die space. AMD used its Vega enhancements with the Ryzen 4000 series to lower their Vega CU counts from eleven to eight, using their enhanced clock speeds to make up for the lost CUs. There were also enhancements to the video encoders/decoders for content playback.

With the Ryzen 5000 series, the focus has then been to further enhance the CPU-side of things with Zen 3 CPU cores. While RDNA 2 would be a great add-on, it wouldn't result in many more sales for AMD. Gamers want discrete graphics cards after all.

While I wouldn't say that AMD has been sitting on its hands when it comes to integrated graphics performance, that simply has not been an area of major focus for AMD. AMD wants to make better mobile CPUs, and that's where their resources and transistor budgets have been focused. I'm sure that that will change with 5nm.

NeverBackDown 12-04-21 08:48 PM

Didn't disagree with anything you said. Point was RDNA is more power efficient for perf/watt. They could in theory use less die space for same performance.

Seeing as they do these years in advance it's probably budget reasons, though this lineup would have seemingly been far enough ahead where budget was less an issue.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.