OC3D Forums

OC3D Forums (https://forum.overclock3d.net/index.php)
-   Off Topic Chat (https://forum.overclock3d.net/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Post A Picture of Your Last Purchase (https://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=51377)

AlienALX 03-08-15 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicehunter (Post 859625)
The only problems I've ever had with AMD's drivers and this is going right back to the X1900XT are when I had the 295X2, It just wasn't used well in a lot of games and I kept getting some really terrible thermal throttling even at stock clocks.

The next one is that they don't have Adaptive V-Sync.

Not to be confused with Adaptive Sync technology like Freesync or G-Sync.

2001 I used an ATI 8200 or something. Every now and then I would get a beep from my computer's internal speaker and the rig would hard lock. It took over a year for them to fix it.

This was on a dual Xeon Photoshop rig, so you can imagine how annoying it was to lose work all of the time.

The 7970 though was the worst card/driver combo I have ever had. It would take me a good twenty minutes just to list all of the issues I had with that. IIRC I had it about a month before swapping it for two brand new GTX 480s.

And the 7970 for me at the time was basically two months of saving. I just did not have a spare penny to rub back then.

I shouldn't have bought that card in the first place though, so it was my fault. Mind you, I did buy the card and the 3d monitor AMD recommend for using Tridef on, so it really should have been better.

Since Frame Pacing + 6 months their drivers are far, far better. The 290 I had was seamless and so has the Fury X so far.

Mysterae 03-08-15 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverBackDown (Post 859618)
FYI, I'm not trying to provoke you or anything, just reasoning here:)

No worries, taken in the manner it was intended :).

In the end we are just trying to justify our considerable investments to each other. The support the underdog approach to choosing AMD is laudable, but it shouldn't be the singular reason. Don't fear a monopoly, there are laws to prevent such things from happening and makes the weaker companies try harder.

NeverBackDown 03-08-15 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicehunter (Post 859625)
The only problems I've ever had with AMD's drivers and this is going right back to the X1900XT are when I had the 295X2, It just wasn't used well in a lot of games and I kept getting some really terrible thermal throttling even at stock clocks.

The next one is that they don't have Adaptive V-Sync.

Not to be confused with Adaptive Sync technology like Freesync or G-Sync.

I've never had an AMD driver issue. Not even when I followed your driver guides and did it my own way. It has to be user error.. Only driver issues i got were when OC'ing and it wasn't stable.

Adaptive V-Sync is Freesync btw... it's just AMDs term for it. Its the Displayport standard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysterae (Post 859627)
No worries, taken in the manner it was intended :).

In the end we are just trying to justify our considerable investments to each other. The support the underdog approach to choosing AMD is laudable, but it shouldn't be the singular reason. Don't fear a monopoly, there are laws to prevent such things from happening and makes the weaker companies try harder.

I'm not trying to justify anything. I'm merely just bringing up what I see and what I know. I support AMD because I don't trust nor like the way Nvidia runs. I don't want to support that, that's my reasoning, however adding in the monopoly thing is another good reason. Yes there are laws but if they become a monopoly legally by just selling more than the next guy and the next guy ends up failing, there's not much the government can do. You can't really do much here.. no one else is in the market to even think about going against AMD or Nvidia. It's really just 2 businesses and only one is going to win. I'm here to help get the underdog some support to prevent a single winner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR23 (Post 859621)
The nVidia Apple parallel is a very good one. They are both extremely good at what they do, but that isn't necessarily making the most competitive solution in their respective industry. The perception they both attain however is magnificent and that is something AMD rarely grasp.

JR

Yes I would agree with everything there. But consumers already have a made up mind about AMD, so they are already at a huge disadvantage to their image and how people see them.

AlienALX 03-08-15 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverBackDown (Post 859630)
I've never had an AMD driver issue. Not even when I followed your driver guides and did it my own way. It has to be user error.. Only driver issues i got were when OC'ing and it wasn't stable.

No, it's not user error.

At the time I bought my 7970 I had a MSI MATX X58 board and a 950, here are the issues I had.

1. Small, purple and white blocks all over my icons (Windows 7).
2. When allowing the monitor to go to sleep when awakening the PC I would lose half of my desktop. Not black, it would still be there, but anything below the center line was a black hole. So for example if I dragged a folder down there it would disappear under the desktop and I could not get back to it without rebooting the PC.
3. Artefacts and big lines and triangles in games.
4. Zerocore did not work, the card was always clocking at 1ghz.

I could go on and on. I formatted and reinstalled my PC when I got the card because the install was kind of old.

Edit. I know the card was not faulty because I swapped it with a guy who AFAIK is still using it now.

Dicehunter 03-08-15 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverBackDown (Post 859630)

Adaptive V-Sync is Freesync btw... it's just AMDs term for it. Its the Displayport standard.

Nope it's not, Adaptive V-Sync is a technology Nvidia use to turn V-Sync off when you fall below your monitors refresh rate and turn it on when you hit your monitors refresh rate.

Freesync and G-Sync are adaptive sync technologies.

Here's some more info about Nvidias adaptive v-sync, It literally just turns v-sync on and off very quickly -

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/te...adaptive-vsync

http://i.imgur.com/lzS5s3v.png

NeverBackDown 03-08-15 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vault-Tec (Post 859631)
No, it's not user error.

At the time I bought my 7970 I had a MSI MATX X58 board and a 950, here are the issues I had.

1. Small, purple and white blocks all over my icons (Windows 7).
2. When allowing the monitor to go to sleep when awakening the PC I would lose half of my desktop. Not black, it would still be there, but anything below the center line was a black hole. So for example if I dragged a folder down there it would disappear under the desktop and I could not get back to it without rebooting the PC.
3. Artefacts and big lines and triangles in games.
4. Zerocore did not work, the card was always clocking at 1ghz.

I could go on and on. I formatted and reinstalled my PC when I got the card because the install was kind of old.

Edit. I know the card was not faulty because I swapped it with a guy who AFAIK is still using it now.

Sounds likes it was indeed faulty. That all sounds like memory going out. Formatting btw doesn't get rid of all the data, so if you really wanted to be sure, you would do a secure erase. Also it could have been a bad BIOS, if it wasn't dead it was probably a bad bios.. but sounds more dead tbh

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicehunter (Post 859632)
Nope it's not, Adaptive V-Sync is a technology Nvidia use to turn V-Sync off when you fall below your monitors refresh rate and turn it on when you hit your monitors refresh rate.

Freesync and G-Sync are adaptive sync technologies.

Here's some more info about Nvidias adaptive v-sync, It literally just turns v-sync on and off very quickly -

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/te...adaptive-vsync

Well tbf Freesync can be used alongside V-Sync, so doesn't matter all that much. Neither are perfect solutions as input lag rises which makes high refresh rates have less of an advantage than most people would think.

Dicehunter 03-08-15 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverBackDown (Post 859634)
Well tbf Freesync can be used alongside V-Sync, so doesn't matter all that much. Neither are perfect solutions as input lag rises which makes high refresh rates have less of an advantage than most people would think.

Well I wish AMD would enable the use of adaptive v-sync as it's so handy, Nvidia implemented it on their drivers like 4 and a half years ago ^_^

NeverBackDown 04-08-15 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicehunter (Post 859635)
Well I wish AMD would enable the use of adaptive v-sync as it's so handy, Nvidia implemented it on their drivers like 4 and a half years ago ^_^

Don't really need it though. If you have a 144hz monitor then it's not needed. If you don't even hit 60hz often(example only) then don't need it.

Dicehunter 04-08-15 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverBackDown (Post 859636)
Don't really need it though. If you have a 144hz monitor then it's not needed. If you don't even hit 60hz often(example only) then don't need it.

I don't have a 144Hz monitor and I do hit 60FPS quite a lot in the games I play hence it's a useful feature.

NeverBackDown 04-08-15 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicehunter (Post 859637)
I don't have a 144Hz monitor and I do hit 60FPS quite a lot in the games I play hence it's a useful feature.

It was an example, but even then. I don't see any benefits to using it. What's the point in uncapping then capping the framerate? It's also increasing input lag when it comes on since that's just how v-sync works.