OC3D Forums

OC3D Forums (https://forum.overclock3d.net/index.php)
-   OC3D News (https://forum.overclock3d.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   UK MPs recommend loot box regulations (https://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=93019)

WYP 12-09-19 11:17 AM

UK MPs recommend loot box regulations
 
A ban on sales to children has also been recommended.

https://overclock3d.net/gfx/articles...060006786s.jpg

Read more about UK MPs recommending loot box regulations.

demonking 12-09-19 12:57 PM

PEGI ratings are useless these days and will shift the responsibility and blame to the parents of these kids. Perhaps in cinemas they work some of the time but there is nothing stopping these kids from buying games that are rated 18+ from digital storefronts and purchasing said lootboxes.
I said it before, the only way you can get this resolved is to licence it and fine and prosecute those companies that breach those licence agreements. Once the CEO's of these companies start getting criminal records and huge losses on their spreadsheets then they will be inclined to resolve this problem. At the moment its lining their wallets.

WYP 12-09-19 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonking (Post 1010694)
PEGI ratings are useless these days and will shift the responsibility and blame to the parents of these kids. Perhaps in cinemas they work some of the time but there is nothing stopping these kids from buying games that are rated 18+ from digital storefronts and purchasing said lootboxes.
I said it before, the only way you can get this resolved is to licence it and fine and prosecute those companies that breach those licence agreements. Once the CEO's of these companies start getting criminal records and huge losses on their spreadsheets then they will be inclined to resolve this problem. At the moment its lining their wallets.

Ideally, both will happen. TBH, rating bodies like PEGI need to start cracking down on games that patch loot boxes in after launch. Get a nice low rating and then crank things up to not get the loot box logo.

Yeah, PEGI rating are useless to a lot of people. TBH if I had kids I'd take the content of the games they play very seriously. Ratings can be very useful for that. That said, there are a lot of bad parents out there that couldn't care less.

I do agree that the law needs to catch up on this mess. There is no way NBA 2020 or FIFA 20 should be a 3+ given its content. I've seen parents get told their children want the premium game editions of for the packs that come with them.

Greenback 12-09-19 04:00 PM

What they should do if they bring a game out with out loot boxes to get a lower rating, and then patch them in they should have to close the game and refund everybody and then have to get a new rating before releasing the game again.
Make all games that contain MTX 18+ and an extortionate fine if they add them after launch, making companies be open when releasing a game

demonking 12-09-19 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WYP (Post 1010695)
Yeah, PEGI rating are useless to a lot of people. TBH if I had kids I'd take the content of the games they play very seriously. Ratings can be very useful for that. That said, there are a lot of bad parents out there that couldn't care less.

Totally. If its anything 12+ I personally check it. I mean my son is 9, he loves counterstrike and we always watch the majors together. The only thing that puts me off him playing it is the idiots in chat and voice. Some things that PEGI would see as unsuitable for my sons age I have raised him to understand those things. Though I will never forget the lesson I learnt with the film Life (12). it terrified him and I felt awful.

WYP 12-09-19 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonking (Post 1010717)
Totally. If its anything 12+ I personally check it. I mean my son is 9, he loves counterstrike and we always watch the majors together. The only thing that puts me off him playing it is the idiots in chat and voice. Some things that PEGI would see as unsuitable for my sons age I have raised him to understand those things. Though I will never forget the lesson I learnt with the film Life (12). it terrified him and I felt awful.

Life? The one about the alien cells that are super intelligent? From 2017?

If that is the movie I'm thinking of I'm surprised it is a 12.

IMDB has a great feature for films called the parent's guide. It's very good for looking at the content of a film before you watch it. It tends to be spoiler-free and tends to give spoiler warnings for things before it mentions something plot-relevant.

Dawelio 12-09-19 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WYP (Post 1010718)
Life? The one about the alien cells that are super intelligent? From 2017?

If that is the movie I'm thinking of I'm surprised it is a 12.

That movie is the only one that has ever given me the creeps! It was released in 2017 though? Damn time flies...


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.