OC3D Forums

OC3D Forums (https://forum.overclock3d.net/index.php)
-   New Build Advice (https://forum.overclock3d.net/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Best Budget Gaming Keypad (https://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=93736)

g0ggles1994 10-01-20 10:26 AM

Best Budget Gaming Keypad
 
( As the title says, I'm after the best budget gaming keypad so I can get into more Elite Dangerous.

I've been considering something that has a thumbstick so I can hopefully control in game menus with it or the view but that narrows me down to Razer Tartarus V2 or Orbweaver

Has anyone got any experience with these or got any better suggestions? I have considered getting a Logitech G13 but unused ones are like gold dust and I'm 50/50 on second hand models since I don't know how much life they have left.

Normally I wouldn't touch Razer with a barge pole but I feel like I'm backed into a corner on this one

Edit: Forgot to mention I've got a HOTAS (Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X) which a keypad would go alongside because reaching my keyboard is a pain in the neck.

I've considered a new HOTAS but that's way above budget right now

Warchild 10-01-20 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g0ggles1994 (Post 1014709)
As the title says, I'm after the best budget gaming keypad so I can get into more Elite Dangerous.

I've been considering something that has a thumbstick so I can hopefully control in game menus with it or the view but that narrows me down to Razer Tartarus V2 or Orbweaver

Has anyone got any experience with these or got any better suggestions? I have considered getting a Logitech G13 but unused ones are like gold dust and I'm 50/50 on second hand models since I don't know how much life they have left.

Normally I wouldn't touch Razer with a barge pole but I feel like I'm backed into a corner on this one

Hmm little curious. Not sure it would be as immersive as a HOTAS which I believe can be around the same price for some. I didnt find keypads as useful as a normal KB.

Elite Dangerous without a HOTAS requires quite alot of keybinds and I think the thumbstick might need to be used for thrusters if anything.

g0ggles1994 10-01-20 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warchild (Post 1014710)
Hmm little curious. Not sure it would be as immersive as a HOTAS which I believe can be around the same price for some. I didnt find keypads as useful as a normal KB.

Elite Dangerous without a HOTAS requires quite alot of keybinds and I think the thumbstick might need to be used for thrusters if anything.

Should have mentioned I've already got a HOTAS sorry :D but it doesn't have enough buttons for all the Elite commands, keypad is to supplement it rather than replace it.

Problem I've got with my setup is that I've only got one surface for the HOTAS and my keyboard sits behind it and trying to reach around to get any keys can be a nightmare

Warchild 10-01-20 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g0ggles1994 (Post 1014712)
Should have mentioned I've already got a HOTAS sorry :D but it doesn't have enough buttons for all the Elite commands, keypad is to supplement it rather than replace it.

Problem I've got with my setup is that I've only got one surface for the HOTAS and my keyboard sits behind it and trying to reach around to get any keys can be a nightmare

Funny you say that. I just built a hotas desk mount and was going to add it on here as a build log. VERY simple solution which resolved the problem you have. I had exactly the same! and I refuse to pay 160 euro each for throttle and stick mount.

g0ggles1994 10-01-20 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warchild (Post 1014715)
Funny you say that. I just built a hotas desk mount and was going to add it on here as a build log. VERY simple solution which resolved the problem you have. I had exactly the same! and I refuse to pay 160 euro each for throttle and stick mount.

Welp, in that case mate, would you be so kind to share your knowledge? :lol:

Tolemac 10-01-20 12:18 PM

Another cheaper option is to use voice attack with one of HCS voice packs I play in VR now with a HOTAS and it's a great tool to have

Warchild 10-01-20 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tolemac (Post 1014725)
Another cheaper option is to use voice attack with one of HCS voice packs I play in VR now with a HOTAS and it's a great tool to have

That helps, but not when searching star systems :) which is why I thought a keypad also doesnt solve the problem as much.

Tolemac 10-01-20 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warchild (Post 1014727)
That helps, but not when searching star systems :) which is why I thought a keypad also doesnt solve the problem as much.

yeah frontier really need to sort out the galaxy map in VR

KingNosser 10-01-20 02:17 PM

https://voiceattack.com/ seen a few streamers use this in the past for different things something you might use in elite for landing gear and such things good little app.

Warchild 10-01-20 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingNosser (Post 1014734)
https://voiceattack.com/ seen a few streamers use this in the past for different things something you might use in elite for landing gear and such things good little app.

yeah I use it for everthing except star systems. You can even use it to request docking.
HCS Voicepacks are well worth having. Or at least 1 of them.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.