OC3D Forums

OC3D Forums (https://forum.overclock3d.net/index.php)
-   Time To Live Customs (https://forum.overclock3d.net/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Heat resistant paint? (https://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72293)

kup 19-08-15 01:54 PM

Heat resistant paint?

Afternoon all,

I'm looking to do a bit of a colour change on a motherboard, changing the coloured accents on the heatsinks but I can't for the life of me find a suitable heatproof paint or anything suggesting over types of paint would be suitable?

I was tempted to pop into somewhere like Games Workshop and just grab a little pot of their blue as they've got a bazillion shades..?

Has anyone got any suggestions or experience on this matter?

Thank you in advance.

Wraith 19-08-15 02:05 PM

You could always try plasti dip, avoid radiator specific paints they are designed to retain heat.

FYI I wouldn't use citadel paints from games workshop, while they are nice colour wise they don't stand up to high temps, it flakes and peels over time.

kup 19-08-15 02:08 PM

Cheers dude, I'll see if I can find some small Plasti-Dip pots. I used to love the Citadel paints and had hundreds of them from years and years of collecting; good thing I've no idea where they are now or I could have made a boo boo in using them. lol

Wraith 19-08-15 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kup (Post 862819)
Cheers dude, I'll see if I can find some small Plasti-Dip pots. I used to love the Citadel paints and had hundreds of them from years and years of collecting; good thing I've no idea where they are now or I could have made a boo boo in using them. lol

I tried ages ago, I still have hundreds of pots of Citadel with my Eldar army ;)

kup 19-08-15 02:15 PM

I used to love stomping on my best mates Eldar army with my Khorne Berserkers! :P

TPC 19-08-15 02:25 PM

If you were about to paint something out of metal that had to resist some higher temps I would recommend engine enamel paints.

RickPlaysWarr 19-08-15 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPC (Post 862822)
If you were about to paint something out of metal that had to resist some higher temps I would recommend engine enamel paints.

I would suggest going to an auto parts store and looking at the spray cans for engine parts. Also here at my home improvement store Home Depot there is a line of paints for painting Barbecue grill parts. I don't know if these would work though.

--Rick--

kup 19-08-15 02:36 PM

Cheers guys, that's a good idea. I had looked into engine paint but was concerned it could insulate too much.

TPC 19-08-15 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kup (Post 862824)
Cheers guys, that's a good idea. I had looked into engine paint but was concerned it could insulate too much.

The guys over at MNPC Tech have been doing it for years, seems to have proven being a good way.

tinytomlogan 19-08-15 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPC (Post 862825)
The guys over at MNPC Tech have been doing it for years, seems to have proven being a good way.

Its really not needed tbh, any paint is fine. Motherboards dont create enough heat to warrant high temp paint.

Ive always used normal paints or Humbrol if I was in a rush