OC3D Forums

OC3D Forums (https://forum.overclock3d.net/index.php)
-   Graphics Cards (https://forum.overclock3d.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Flash EVGA 9800 GTX+ Bios to OC'ed BFG (https://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=20749)

MacAllah 06-08-08 08:10 PM

Flash EVGA 9800 GTX+ Bios to OC'ed BFG
 
Hello!

Y'all helped me out with some problems a bit ago and I thought I'd throw another atcha.

I have this EVGA video card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130376

It's freakin' great. I really love it, but a few days after I bought it BFG released this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814143149

As far as I can tell it's the same card just overclocked. I assume that BFG did extensive testing to ensure the card wouldn't crash and would run stable at those higher clockspeeds.

What I want to do is overlock my EVGA to the BFG specs (they appear to even have the same damn fan). As far as I can tell there two ways of doing this:

1) Use Nibitor to increase the clock speeds, make a new BIOS, and flash using NVFlash.

2) Download the BFG Bios from: http://www.mvktech.net/component/opt...rent,category/

And again use NVFlash.

Which is the easier option? Which is the safer option?

I'm extremely new to this (I've only ever just OC'ed my e8500 from 3.16 ghz to 3.6 ghz using the mobo BIOS). I've never "flashed" anything.

A step by step walk through (or link to one) would be beautiful, but even just suggestions from people on what has worked in the past would be great. Thank you in advance!

Hassan 06-08-08 08:59 PM

They may be the same, but I heard the BFG 9800 GTX+ has a GPU that has something smaller (something got to do with transistors and how small it is)

Something like that

(Basically its in my head, but I just can't manage to say it. Sorry)

markkleb 06-08-08 09:20 PM

DEFINATELY DO NOT mess with the bios of the card. (especially since you are new to this)

Use the Evga OC program (comes with the card) and just bump it up a bit.

And it definitely wouldn't hurt to improve cooling

MacAllah 06-08-08 09:22 PM

@markkleb

That easy to mess this up horribly, eh?

I'm a pretty smart dude, but I don't have a degree in computer science. What would be a good way to learn w/out irrepably damaging something?

UPDATE: Found the utility at: http://www.evga.com/precision/

It looks like it'll work PERFECTLY. Thank you so much, markkleb!

markkleb 06-08-08 09:26 PM

(definately not worth the chance to damage the card)

Good job thats the one.

PS: I have the same card and it is very nice.

Hassan 06-08-08 10:12 PM

They maybe the same card, but lets look underneath the bonnet and we will see somethings in different place or somewhere else. Another thing they are two cards made by different manufacturer so don't mess, unless you've got money to throw away. If that is the case then you have got better ways of throwing money away such as giving it to me! :D

(BTW I take Cash, Cheque, Paypal, Wire Transfer, Cash on Collection and whole lot of other ways :p)

markkleb 06-08-08 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by name='Hassan'
They may be the same, but I heard the BFG 9800 GTX+ has a GPU that has something smaller (something got to do with transistors and how small it is)

Something like that

(Basically its in my head, but I just can't manage to say it. Sorry)

I think you are thinking about the GPU. The 9800GTX was made using the 65nm process and the 9800GTX+ uses the 55nm process.

The smaller size is usually more efficient (makes less heat)

MacAllah 06-08-08 10:41 PM

Yeah, I knew that the 9800 GTX+ was 55 nm and that the non+ was 65 nm. And the reason I brought up the fan being the same was that any increased heat due to the overclocking should be able to dissapate the same on both cards.

I won't be able to test things out until tomorrow at the earliest (work and whatnot), but once I do I'll post my final results here. So y'all can see how fast the card'll go.

Hassan 07-08-08 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by name='markkleb'
I think you are thinking about the GPU. The 9800GTX was made using the 65nm process and the 9800GTX+ uses the 55nm process.

The smaller size is usually more efficient (makes less heat)

Thats it! :D

Hassan 07-08-08 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by name='MacAllah'
Yeah, I knew that the 9800 GTX+ was 55 nm and that the non+ was 65 nm. And the reason I brought up the fan being the same was that any increased heat due to the overclocking should be able to dissapate the same on both cards.

I won't be able to test things out until tomorrow at the earliest (work and whatnot), but once I do I'll post my final results here. So y'all can see how fast the card'll go.

Again have you thought about the fact that they are made by different manufacturer.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.