OC3D Forums

OC3D Forums (https://forum.overclock3d.net/index.php)
-   New Build Advice (https://forum.overclock3d.net/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   This is going to be my first build! (https://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=49437)

Zaker172 01-01-13 10:47 AM

This is going to be my first build!
 
i5-3570k CPU 277$
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H motherboard 188$
Corsair Vengeance 2*4 GB of 1600 Mhz RAM 75$
Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X Graphics card 380$
Corsair HX750 Watt PSU 160$
Phantom 410 case 124$
CM EVO 212 CPU cooler 41$

For storage I'll use my dead laptops WD Green 5400 Rpm 500GB until I can get enough money to buy a SSD or a proper HDD, I hope that'll work.. :|
Besides that does everything look good? I'm really nervous about building it and I wish someone could hold my hand.. I'm ordering this tomorrow! ;s
Also! Happy New Year everyone! :)

PingPangBV 01-01-13 10:59 AM

The build's looking good, especiallyfor a first.

Couldn't avoid noticing that this was your first post on the forums and I can only assume that you recently joined.
So if that's the case then: Welcome to the forums mate =)

Zaker172 01-01-13 11:04 AM

Yes, I did join recently! But I've lurked around from time to time! :) Thanks for the quick response and the warm welcome!

Hitch 01-01-13 11:17 AM

Welcome to the Forums!

Without being rude, what's your budget? Then we can probably have a clearer idea of what you can and can't do, or when you could improve. I assume the rig is going to be mainly aimed at gaming?

Zaker172 01-01-13 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasoner (Post 590782)
Welcome to the Forums!

Without being rude, what's your budget? Then we can probably have a clearer idea of what you can and can't do, or when you could improve. I assume the rig is going to be mainly aimed at gaming?

My budget is around 1250 $ but I live in Latvia and the prices are really diffirent from US or other countries. And yes it'll be made for gaming at 1080p.

Hitch 01-01-13 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaker172 (Post 590789)
My budget is around 1250 $ but I live in Latvia and the prices are really diffirent from US or other countries. And yes it'll be made for gaming at 1080p.

Okay, that's cool. As a first build, do you plan to overclock?
If not, this build looks really solid, especially the 7950. Nice choice.

The only thing I would pick up on is the HX750, even if you are overclocking the GPU and the CPU that's still a hell of a lot of power that you don't need, definite overkill. The only reason I would go for a 750 is if you plan to Crossfire in the future, as a futureproofing method. If you are set on spending that amount of money on a PSU and don't plan to OC or Crossfire, drop back to something between then 500-600 mark and maybe get something fully modular.

That would be my approach anyway.

Zaker172 01-01-13 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasoner (Post 590793)
Okay, that's cool. As a first build, do you plan to overclock?
If not, this build looks really solid, especially the 7950. Nice choice.

The only thing I would pick up on is the HX750, even if you are overclocking the GPU and the CPU that's still a hell of a lot of power that you don't need, definite overkill. The only reason I would go for a 750 is if you plan to Crossfire in the future, as a futureproofing method. If you are set on spending that amount of money on a PSU and don't plan to OC or Crossfire, drop back to something between then 500-600 mark and maybe get something fully modular.

That would be my approach anyway.

Yes, I do plan on overclocking, nothing extreme but I want to give it a try.
About the PSU.. The thing is.. The local vendors have a really small selection of PSU's from good brands.. If I could I'd get a HX650 or even some quality 600w PSU.
Also, I adedd the prices as they are in Latvia at the top! Thanks for these fast responses.

Hitch 01-01-13 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaker172 (Post 590794)
Yes, I do plan on overclocking, nothing extreme but I want to give it a try.
About the PSU.. The thing is.. The local vendors have a really small selection of PSU's from good brands.. If I could I'd get a HX650 or even some quality 600w PSU.
Also, I adedd the prices as they are in Latvia at the top! Thanks for these fast responses.

No worries, I always like speedy replies so it's nice to dish them out.

If you are planning on overclocking, you may want to think about changing the GPU. Although the Vapor-X is a very, very good card, it is a) outperformed by other 7950's in overclock and b) you enter the silicon lottery of whether your individual card has been voltage locked (although they may have fixed this in a software update, I'm not sure). If you have the extra money and the availability something like an MSI Frozr or the Club royalKing might be more to your needs.

As for the PSU, the HX750 is solid from what I've read. If you struggle for availability you are 100% right, there is no point skimping on quality purely to get a lower wattage, stick with the Corsair.

Zaker172 01-01-13 12:09 PM

Ugh, I'd get the MSI Twin Frozr one, but it's not avaible here at the moment. My only options GPU wise are- All the Sapphire HD7950's (OC, Flex, Vapor-X), the Gigabyte HD 7950 with the Windforce cooler, Asus HD 7950 (but it's a triple slot card and I don't really like that.. I've heard some people worrying about it bending the mobo) and the powercolor HD 7950 PCS+ V3 (I don't think this one is widely recommended).

Hitch 01-01-13 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaker172 (Post 590803)
Ugh, I'd get the MSI Twin Frozr one, but it's not avaible here at the moment. My only options GPU wise are- All the Sapphire HD7950's (OC, Flex, Vapor-X), the Gigabyte HD 7950 with the Windforce cooler, Asus HD 7950 (but it's a triple slot card and I don't really like that.. I've heard some people worrying about it bending the mobo) and the powercolor HD 7950 PCS+ V3 (I don't think this one is widely recommended).

Stick with the Vapor-X then, in my opinion it's the best of the series. I guess it all depends on how long you are willing to wait and how long it would take to become available to you. Don't get me wrong, the Vapor-X WILL overclock, and very well, but I guess I personally think the Frozr is an all-round better card. It does have crazy fast base clock speeds aswell.

Read up on the 212 Evo. It has mixed reviews; I was originally looking at it for my planned build, but people have really varied opinions on it. If you can afford to spend a little more, maybe have another look around.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.