OC3D Forums

OC3D Forums (https://forum.overclock3d.net/index.php)
-   Off Topic Chat (https://forum.overclock3d.net/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Post A Picture of Your Last Purchase (https://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=51377)

Dark NighT 22-03-19 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kei (Post 1003664)
After 20 years of random tat I treated myself to a new knife for the kitchen. It's a Kai Seki Magoroku composite 16.5cm santoku.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7882/...cb1092b7_b.jpg

Ahhh yeah a good knife will make preparing food such a pleasure, all the cheap crap from various stores just make it worse. Nice purchase.

SPS 23-03-19 09:24 AM

That's a good looking knife, I have a santoku too.

A good knife will only hold it's edge for longer, a cheap knife can easily out perform an expensive knife when regularly sharpened. You also have the issue of harder steel is harder to sharpen.

NeverBackDown 23-03-19 05:34 PM

I recommend people nowadays get ceramic knives. Hold it's edge for much longer, as in probably over a year depending on how often you use it. It's also better with food as it won't containment it or rust.
Only downside is they are fragile as they are harder than steel

Kei 23-03-19 07:41 PM

I prefer a good steel blade as they are much easier to resharpen. They may well require more frequent maintenance than ceramic but it is at least possible to resharpen a steel blade at home with relative ease. Two of our knives are ~25 year old kitchen devil professional which I've just resharpened properly and they are pretty much as sharp as that new Kai santoku I just bought. They were reasonably easy to sharpen too, though I reckon that is likely down to their hardness being around 57. The Kai has a VG10 core which makes it around 61 which will no doubt make it quite difficult to sharpen.

AlienALX 23-03-19 08:00 PM

I have Victorinox knives I bought about 9 years ago. Careful use and cleaning kept the edge good for nine years. They are starting to dull now though, but going to try the sharpen route before investing in any more.

NeverBackDown 23-03-19 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kei (Post 1003687)
I prefer a good steel blade as they are much easier to resharpen. They may well require more frequent maintenance than ceramic but it is at least possible to resharpen a steel blade at home with relative ease. Two of our knives are ~25 year old kitchen devil professional which I've just resharpened properly and they are pretty much as sharp as that new Kai santoku I just bought. They were reasonably easy to sharpen too, though I reckon that is likely down to their hardness being around 57. The Kai has a VG10 core which makes it around 61 which will no doubt make it quite difficult to sharpen.

They aren't much harder to sharpen really. Just a few more minutes. I use an actual small grinder. However even without it it shouldn't take more than an extra 10 mins really, but the extra time is offset by the fact that they last years with the same edge. I don't need to overpay for a japenese knife when they use the same or similar steel. If you sharpen your own knives really even a $20 knife will do(though sharpen often). I don't use ceramic myself, but I have sharpened them myself. Its preference but they are cheaper and last longer, seems like a no brainer for me.

Though I do want to make my own knife. Would be steel and in that instance I would use steel over ceramic any day:D

AlienALX 23-03-19 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverBackDown (Post 1003690)
They aren't much harder to sharpen really. Just a few more minutes. I use an actual small grinder. However even without it it shouldn't take more than an extra 10 mins really, but the extra time is offset by the fact that they last years with the same edge. I don't need to overpay for a japenese knife when they use the same or similar steel. If you sharpen your own knives really even a $20 knife will do(though sharpen often). I don't use ceramic myself, but I have sharpened them myself. Its preference but they are cheaper and last longer, seems like a no brainer for me.

Though I do want to make my own knife. Would be steel and in that instance I would use steel over ceramic any day:D

I'll watch out for you on Forged In Fire :D

NeverBackDown 23-03-19 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlienALX (Post 1003691)
I'll watch out for you on Forged In Fire :D

I have no desire to compete. It would just be a side hobby. It'll be years before I start it. I'm young I got a lot more important things to accomplish than learning how to forge

AlienALX 23-03-19 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverBackDown (Post 1003695)
I have no desire to compete. It would just be a side hobby. It'll be years before I start it. I'm young I got a lot more important things to accomplish than learning how to forge

I was joking dude :) Good show though, even with the slab of cheese. Some wicked creations on there.

tgrech 23-03-19 10:29 PM

Don't you need a diamond grinder thingy for those ceramic blades? I really love the heated & compressed ceramic blades though, not only do they get harder but they also turn black, nothing cooler than that.