OC3D Forums

OC3D Forums (https://forum.overclock3d.net/index.php)
-   OC3D Reviews & Videos (https://forum.overclock3d.net/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   AMD R9 290X Review (https://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=57687)

tinytomlogan 24-10-13 05:37 AM

AMD R9 290X Review
 
http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...092949340l.JPG

After reviewing the refreshed models in the updated AMD Radeon range, we finally get our hands on their latest model, the R9 290X.


Continue Reading

Excalabur50 24-10-13 05:44 AM

What a shame like everyone else i suppose i was really hoping this card was gonna be a beast and to be let down like a lead balloon....... sigh! Lets just hope AMD get their finger out their asses and let the 3rd party vendors loose and see if they can pick them up again so it's a least a half decent card and sooner rather than later!!

CapitanoMal 24-10-13 06:01 AM

Well Guv? Time to go get an MSI 780? Need a new card pretty badly.
Edit: or I could pull the trigger on getting one and watercooling that puppy....

kittysniper 24-10-13 06:11 AM

damn heat~
 
Thanks for the review, but I think its hardly fair to compare it to oc cards, it seems to compete well against stock titan and 780s, but amd really the bed on the cooler, though I cant complain seeing how much cheaper it is to titan and 780; would love to see another review when asus's direct cu II triple slot rog version come out, I bet it will give the titan oc/780 lightning a run for their money ^_^

Xrqute 24-10-13 06:19 AM

Well it'll be interesting to see what it can achieve once the 3rd party water blocks hit the market which i dare say wont be long! but at the temps its running you'd want to be running dual loop so it dosen't effect the cooling of your other components to much.

CapitanoMal 24-10-13 06:23 AM

Pretty sure the EK block is out already.

kdawgmaster 24-10-13 06:26 AM

Im just going to say toms hardware and anandtech both have their R9 290X scoring alot higher where most games it ties or even spanks and titan

Zoot 24-10-13 07:27 AM

Thanks for the review Tom.

Looks like it's exactly where it was rumored that it would end up ie. up around the GTX 780. It's priced good too, hopefully it'll force a price drop from nVidia. I wouldn't worry about the cooler either, non-reference cards from the likes of Sapphire, Asus, or MSi will take care of that.

Now the temptation kicks in... :rolleyes:

neotrix 24-10-13 07:40 AM

Sorry had to do it :-P
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/...ps12073ac9.jpg

neotrix 24-10-13 07:52 AM

It will be interesting to see the ref coolers on there, but i (and everyone else apparently) am well let down here. I was ready to trade out my Titan for something different.

Long time FB and YT follower so thought i better come here too, being all sociable and that....

Dicehunter 24-10-13 08:32 AM

There are some proper ar$eholes bad mouthing TTL/OC3D on various forums for telling it like it is, Very sad little individuals.

SeekaX 24-10-13 08:41 AM

that is some embarrassing stuff. it looks like a 150$ card (red PCB, really), performs on par with the 780 and that is saying it nicely since it lost most benchmarks, and it released half a year after the 780? all they've got going for them is the price and that better be around 500 euros, because else there is no way i could recommend this to anyone.

tinytomlogan 24-10-13 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicehunter (Post 694770)
There are some proper ar$eholes bad mouthing TTL/OC3D on various forums for telling it like it is, Very sad little individuals.

Thats pretty normal every time I dont just get all giddy about something new.

Far to easy for them :p

mArTyN 24-10-13 09:00 AM

The casing, even on the video looks cheap. Such a shame.
Thanks Tom.

vorticalbox 24-10-13 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xrqute (Post 694718)
Well it'll be interesting to see what it can achieve once the 3rd party water blocks hit the market which i dare say wont be long! but at the temps its running you'd want to be running dual loop so it dosen't effect the cooling of your other components to much.

not sure if you would need a dedicated loop just for the gpu, the card is hitting 95c because thats what the software is set to let it hit and the cooler isn't that great to keep it under the "target" a 3rd party cooler will be much better at keeping temps down allowing for overclocking.

If you stick it under water you won't be getting anywhere near 95c and just like cooling any other high end GPU the effect on water/component temp would be minimal.

RealTeflon 24-10-13 09:10 AM

Are we going to see prices of the 780's driven down at all by this release?

SeekaX 24-10-13 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealTeflon (Post 694779)
Are we going to see prices of the 780's driven down at all by this release?

i think at the moment they are too busy partying.

Bozzy 24-10-13 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealTeflon (Post 694779)
Are we going to see prices of the 780's driven down at all by this release?

Hopefully .. then i can get a 2nd for sli

BillyCool 24-10-13 09:14 AM

Review of the review
 
Honestly, this is a terrible review (video) in my opinion.

1) You complained about the cooler being ugly. That is a personal preference, personally I like the way it looks and I dislike the one from nvidia. Yes the Titan one. Yes, it's not the same in terms of build quality, but that's not a reason to dislike a GPU in general. After all, at 550$ and with the performance you get, I think that's really not something to complain about.

2) You keep complaining about the 95 degree temperature but you seem to ignore the fact that it's configured by default to run at these temperatures. It's like nvidia's boost 2.0, they have set the maximum temperature to 95 degrees that the card just boost as high as it can reaching that number. Again, this is fully customizable so complaining about it is not sensible.

3) You compared it with an aftermarket 780 from MSI, advising us to buy that one of those instead, completely ignoring the fact that there will be aftermarket 290X with better optimised drivers that MIGHT perform better, cooler and quieter. How exactly is this a fair comparison?

4) You claim that because it runs so hot, it doesn't/can't overclock. Yet, you didn't even talk about how the new Powertune technology works or even cares to manually do something yourself. Also, no aftermarket cards are out yet so that statement is invalid.

5) You didn't talk about any of the technologies that come with the card, especially Mantle and TrueAudio or even specifications.


All in all, this is totally against AMD. You said that their cooler is "" (your word), that it's ugly, that it doesn't perform well or overclock. You didn't even respect the effort these guys put into this card considering their situation. On the contrary, for almost 10 minutes you kept advertising nvidia's reference cooler and even advised us to buy one of their cards. All that in a REVIEW.

A review is supposed to give us information about a product, it's pros and cons, features that come with it etc. What you did was mostly an unfair comparison video between 780 and 290X.

looz 24-10-13 09:23 AM

1) Not only looks, build quality as well.

2) Looking at the past, cards running at such temperatures are prone to micro fractures due to heat changes.

3) They aren't out in a while.

4) The cooler is so underpowered that the card underclocks itself after reaching 95c. The card is noticeably quicker at 100% fan speed, but then the noise is 65db.

5) He did talk about mantle, TrueAudio is just a clone of Dolby Headphone which requires support from the game itself.

Just my 2 cents, ofc doesn't reflect TTL's opinion.

Anyway, I originally came to post this:


-video fixed, you're welcome. SuB-

ShaunB-91 24-10-13 09:24 AM

If you don't like Tom's style of reviews, head to Linus Tech Tips, and you'll just get an unboxing. :lol: (No offense Linus).

Edit: Pahaha! the video posted behind me, full load of the fan nearly blew his screen off the wall. :')

SeekaX 24-10-13 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyCool (Post 694783)
Honestly, this is a terrible review (video) in my opinion.

1) You complained about the cooler being ugly. That is a personal preference, personally I like the way it looks and I dislike the one from nvidia. Yes the Titan one. Yes, it's not the same in terms of build quality, but that's not a reason to dislike a GPU in general. After all, at 550$ and with the performance you get, I think that's really not something to complain about.

2) You keep complaining about the 95 degree temperature but you seem to ignore the fact that it's configured by default to run at these temperatures. It's like nvidia's boost 2.0, they have set the maximum temperature to 95 degrees that the card just boost as high as it can reaching that number. Again, this is fully customizable so complaining about it is not sensible.

3) You compared it with an aftermarket 780 from MSI, advising us to buy that one of those instead, completely ignoring the fact that there will be aftermarket 290X with better optimised drivers that MIGHT perform better, cooler and quieter. How exactly is this a fair comparison?

4) You claim that because it runs so hot, it doesn't/can't overclock. Yet, you didn't even talk about how the new Powertune technology works or even cares to manually do something yourself. Also, no aftermarket cards are out yet so that statement is invalid.

5) You didn't talk about any of the technologies that come with the card, especially Mantle and TrueAudio or even specifications.


All in all, this is totally against AMD. You said that their cooler is "" (your word), that it's ugly, that it doesn't perform well or overclock. You didn't even respect the effort these guys put into this card considering their situation. On the contrary, for almost 10 minutes you kept advertising nvidia's reference cooler and even advised us to buy one of their cards. All that in a REVIEW.

A review is supposed to give us information about a product, it's pros and cons, features that come with it etc. What you did was mostly an unfair comparison video between 780 and 290X.

you haven't watched the video have you.
a review is supposed to give you the facts so talking a lot about mantle is utterly pointless because there is no game utilizing it yet and still he even talked for a minute or two about it.
the cooler is , there is nothing to argue about it. it runs hot, takes ages to cool down and isn't as quiet as the nvidia one. it looks cheap because it is made of plastic and just because you seem to be into cheap materials doesn't mean the majority or even 50% agree with you.
the 95 degree limit you are talking about is absolutely nothing to be proud of because that means that a 780 performs the same but 15 degrees cooler and it's not rocket science to know that a card will die sooner if it runs hotter.
He did mention that he wants to try to overclock the card with an aftermarket cooler or a waterblock but THERE ARE NONE, so all he can do is tell us assumptions which again DO NOT BELONG IN A REVIEW. That is also the reason why he recommended the MSI gaming 780, there are no aftermarket coolers for the 290x and there will be none at release, so until there are aftermarket coolers you would be a maniac to buy one of these, no to mention that an aftermarket cooled 290x would come in at the same price as an MSI gaming 780 and still probably run hotter to still perform even.

So once again to sum it up for your hurt AMD loving butt:
The cooler is cheap, most people dislike the looks, it runs hot, it's nearly at the same price as a 780 while getting annihilated by the MSI Gaming 780, you don't know what a review is.

/edit
OH, it's 6 months late. Half a circle. In half a year nvidia will release the 8xx series which will utterly crush AMD once again. if that isn't a crushing defeat then i don't know what is.

/edit2
OHHHHH and he also compared the reference 290x with the reference 780 and the reference 780 cooler still crushed it and the performance was only the same!

Spiderz 24-10-13 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looz (Post 694787)

Sugar honey iced-tea that card almost obtained lift off

CapitanoMal 24-10-13 09:33 AM

Quite certain my cat's would be too scared to go near my computer even if it was nice and toasty with that card.... Absolutely crazy how loud that thing is, even at only 40%

ShaunB-91 24-10-13 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiderz (Post 694796)
Sugar honey iced-tea that card almost obtained lift off

Paha just watched it again, that's ridiculous, someone make a comparison video next to a vacuum cleaner or hairdryer. :lol:

SuB 24-10-13 09:35 AM

stahp posting bad youtube links boys, use the proper flippin' tags!! we've reminded y'all about this for months now! Next person who posts one wrong is gettin' Pincered...

looz 24-10-13 09:39 AM

I originally tried to post it as an URL but it got forcibly embedded! :-P Anyway, cheers for fixing it up.

MrKambo 24-10-13 09:42 AM

Right, Tom thanks for the review as usual cut-throat no bull stuff!! I like the way you do it now as well, no showing scores in the video.

Its amazing how in 40 minutes you seemed to have upset the entire internet :lol:

I think, I made a wrong decision getting this! I don't like noise :(

SeekaX 24-10-13 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuB (Post 694799)
stahp posting bad youtube links boys, use the proper flippin' tags!! we've reminded y'all about this for months now! Next person who posts one wrong is gettin' Pincered...

i don't see that happening until you either put in a button in the reply section or autoconvert youtube links to the proper tag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKambo (Post 694804)
Right, Tom thanks for the review as usual cut-throat no bull stuff!! I like the way you do it now as well, no showing scores in the video.

Its amazing how in 40 minutes you seemed to have upset the entire internet :lol:

I think, I made a wrong decision getting this! I don't like noise :(

did you preorder one? you mad man, never preorder anything.

SuB 24-10-13 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKambo (Post 694804)
Right, Tom thanks for the review as usual cut-throat no bull stuff!! I like the way you do it now as well, no showing scores in the video.

Its amazing how in 40 minutes you seemed to have upset the entire internet :lol:

I think, I made a wrong decision getting this! I don't like noise :(

In all fairness we did TRY to politely hint you in the other direction :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeekaX (Post 694805)
i don't see that happening until you either put in a button in the reply section or autoconvert youtube links to the proper tag.

Aye I'm looking into it, if people post a url the forum seems to have a mind of it's own!! Some bad code from the people who set it up before I got my mits on it and put in the new shiny proper youtube tags.. I'll fix that at some point

looz 24-10-13 09:49 AM



I couldn't resist.

MrKambo 24-10-13 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuB (Post 694807)
In all fairness we did TRY to politely hint you in the other direction :P

yeah i realise that now, but dont you ever just wanna take a chance on the underdog hoping kicks seven different shades of out of its competitor!

that was me 5am this morning :lol:

ill sort this out now i reckon

SeekaX 24-10-13 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looz (Post 694811)


I couldn't resist.

ahahahah. oh well, putting salt in the open wound.

ShaunB-91 24-10-13 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looz (Post 694811)


I couldn't resist.

Hahaha! :p

Can you not cancel your pre-order Kambo? :mellow:

MrKambo 24-10-13 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaunB-91 (Post 694816)
Hahaha! :p

Can you not cancel your pre-order Kambo? :mellow:

already done, got the 780 Classy on order ;)

SuB 24-10-13 09:56 AM

I love to support the underdog ( I mean lets be honest, if I didn't I'd be helping different forums/websites than this one :P as it kinda started as an underdog in my eyes but has grown to much better things ) . But there's a difference between supporting and making a mistake :P

I'm sure you'll be able to slap a waterblock on it and get your money's worth.

ShaunB-91 24-10-13 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKambo (Post 694817)
already done, got the 780 Classy on order ;)

Not fair. :(

MrKambo 24-10-13 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaunB-91 (Post 694820)
Not fair. :(

ive been waiting months for new cards lol! thats the best one i can get for my money, and its on sale be silly not too

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuB (Post 694818)
I love to support the underdog ( I mean lets be honest, if I didn't I'd be helping different forums/websites than this one :P as it kinda started as an underdog in my eyes but has grown to much better things ) . But there's a difference between supporting and making a mistake :P

I'm sure you'll be able to slap a waterblock on it and get your money's worth.

i know what you're saying! well i admit, even when being hinted in the other direction i made a mistake, sue me :p

ShaunB-91 24-10-13 10:02 AM

Just in time for Battlefield 4 MrKambo. :P Oooo exciting times! I'm off work next week too!

SieB 24-10-13 10:03 AM

Oh dear... oh dear, oh dear, oh dear :lol:

Man, AMD messed up on cooling :( Those temps are a joke, how AMD can release a card with a bad as a cooler as the one on the 290x is shocking.
Price and performance is great, if only they had slapped a good cooler on the 290x it would have been a perfect card.

We will have to wait and see if aftermarket coolers can save the 290x, thing is though, aftermarkets will only make the card more expensive.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.