PDA

View Full Version : Quick News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

notcool
20-02-17, 06:12 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39020080

Online retail giant Amazon has said it will create 5,000 new full-time jobs in the UK this year. The firm said it was looking for a range of staff including software developers and warehouse staff.

There will be jobs at Amazon's head office in London, as well as in the Edinburgh customer service centre and in three new warehouses.

The recruitment will take Amazon's workforce in the UK to more than 24,000. Doug Gurr, the head of Amazon's UK business, said: "We are creating thousands of new UK jobs including hundreds of apprenticeship opportunities as we continue to innovate for our customers and provide them with even faster delivery, more selection and better value."

The company is opening three new warehouses, or what it calls "fulfilment centres", in Tilbury, Doncaster and Daventry.
The extra warehouse space will be used to cope with existing growth and to speed-up deliveries.

It will also handle deliveries for third-party retailers, who sell through Amazon's website and use Amazon for deliveries. Growth in those third-party sellers has been particularly rapid.

So much for Brexit doom and gloom eh.

WYP
20-02-17, 07:48 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39020080

So much for Brexit doom and gloom eh.

It is nice to have some good news for a change.

Tolemac
22-02-17, 01:18 PM
You will be able to pre-order The Ryzen 7 1700, 1700X and 1800X from 6PM UK time from Today 22/2/2017

WYP
22-02-17, 02:18 PM
You will be able to pre-order The Ryzen 7 1700, 1700X and 1800X from 6PM UK time from Today 22/2/2017

I can't wait. Hopefully the UK prices are not too high compared to the US.

Tolemac
22-02-17, 02:24 PM
I can't wait. Hopefully the UK prices are not too high compared to the US.

Gibbo at OCUK said this on their forums

"OcUK is the ONLY AMD Super-Alpha on-line reseller in the UK, that means we have priority allocation over anyone else, which means we get stock first and the majority off it, we shall also be hitting the AMD MSRP's, there shall be no milking it as to speak and we shall be giving FREE NEXT DAY DELIVERY ON THE BASKET. Absolutely no reason to buy elsewhere."

SuB
22-02-17, 02:25 PM
[...]Absolutely no reason to buy elsewhere."

Well, there are.. but that's another story ;)

Tolemac
22-02-17, 02:26 PM
well, there are.. But that's another story ;)

lol :D

AlienALX
23-02-17, 01:30 PM
Gibbo at OCUK said this on their forums

"OcUK is the ONLY AMD Super-Alpha on-line reseller in the UK, that means we have priority allocation over anyone else, which means we get stock first and the majority off it, we shall also be hitting the AMD MSRP's, there shall be no milking it as to speak and we shall be giving FREE NEXT DAY DELIVERY ON THE BASKET. Absolutely no reason to buy elsewhere."

hah, Gibbo is a salesman he will talk as much pony as he has to to get a sale. Why do you think he drives a Porker?

Having said all of that (all of Gibbo's patters aside) I do order from OCUK when and where I can. I get free shipping, even on small items that would normally be doubled in price because of the shipping. So I have had no reason to order from elsewhere for ages now.

But yeah, don't need sales patter. I like his one today about how Ryzen works best with 2400-2666 memory so here buy this memory I am now listing for you. lmao.

I will be ordering some PC stuff this time next week (Firecuda maybe and a new gaming surface for sure) so will see how their prices stack up :)

Well, there are.. but that's another story ;)

Proudfoot is long gone. It took me an awful, awful long time to buy from OCUK even after Caseking took over.

So far they have been exemplary for me.

AlienALX
23-02-17, 04:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVcIss7m5SM

CH6 unboxing.

http://i.imgur.com/eHGlSWK.jpg

I think I see AM3 holes there !

AngryGoldfish
24-02-17, 12:43 PM
According to a very odd report, the 7700K offers what appears to be considerably more consistent performance in a CPU-bound game like GTA V than the R7 1700.

https://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/news/article.php?storyid=16190

What's confusing is the minimums and maximums being so low yet with averages so close to the 7700K. Unless Ryzen is having odd and very irregular spikes in the lows and the 7700K is having odd and irregular spikes in the highs, this graph doesn't make sense. If it's true, though, GTA V could remain one of AMD's major failings. It is such a hugely popular game and Nvidia has ruled it since its introduction. Now it appears maybe Intel will as well.

WYP
24-02-17, 12:52 PM
According to a very odd report, the 7700K offers what appears to be considerably more consistent performance in a CPU-bound game like GTA V than the R7 1700.

What's confusing is the minimums and maximums being so low yet with averages so close to the 7700K. Unless Ryzen is having odd and very irregular spikes in the lows and the 7700K is having odd and irregular spikes in the highs, this graph doesn't make sense. If it's true, though, GTA V could remain one of AMD's major failings. It is such a hugely popular game and Nvidia has ruled it since its introduction. Now it appears maybe Intel will as well.

Hard to know, it is an early leak from a lesser known YouTuber, hard to know if there were other factors that were coming into play.

We will need to wait for full reviews with more well-rounded testing.

AlienALX
24-02-17, 03:27 PM

It's the same sort of scenario with the 6950x and 5950x etc. The lower threaded higher clocked CPU will always win in gaming at the moment thanks to crap core support.

I know a lot of people say "Hey an I3 can beat a 8320 !" but you don't often hear them saying that an I3K can actually beat a 6950x, if the thread count is low enough on the given game.

Those who understand it won't care. Because as soon as you roll into something like Cinebench it all changes.

I fully expect to see far more aggressive clocks as AMD roll out the lower cored/heat/power CPUs.

AngryGoldfish
24-02-17, 04:01 PM
It's the same sort of scenario with the 6950x and 5950x etc. The lower threaded higher clocked CPU will always win in gaming at the moment thanks to crap core support.

I know a lot of people say "Hey an I3 can beat a 8320 !" but you don't often hear them saying that an I3K can actually beat a 6950x, if the thread count is low enough on the given game.

Those who understand it won't care. Because as soon as you roll into something like Cinebench it all changes.

I fully expect to see far more aggressive clocks as AMD roll out the lower cored/heat/power CPUs.

I disagree. Those who do understand it will care. They may not care as much about Cinebench and may not want to wait however many years it takes developers to start adopting techniques that better utilise higher core counts and threads. They want the highest performing CPU for the games they play now. If in GTA V that is the 7700K, they'll buy it. If in BF1 it's the R7 1700, they'll buy it.

As for higher clocks on the more lower-end segment, while I suspect they will be able to hit slightly higher clock speeds, I don't know by much or if it will make up the difference. People will see the 7700K leading in many games and they'll disregard the clearly superior CPU architecture of Ryzen. I may not, but I wouldn't consider myself to be part of the majority.

AlienALX
25-02-17, 08:55 PM
What I meant was those who understand it won't care. IE - those building a workstation for example where they know they can get the most out of a CPU. It's not all about gaming.

AMD are releasing this CPU for every one other than gamers, they come later with the quad core CPUs that will no doubt be far cheaper and clock way higher.

They're just having their moment in the sun is all. Once they have rinsed out the high price sales they'll bring along the cheaper stuff.

AlienALX
26-02-17, 11:07 AM
https://www.techpowerup.com/230916/pricing-of-entire-amd-ryzen-lineup-revealed

Supposed pricing of every Ryzen.

WYP
26-02-17, 11:55 AM
https://www.techpowerup.com/230916/pricing-of-entire-amd-ryzen-lineup-revealed

Supposed pricing of every Ryzen.

This has been proven false, the clock speeds of the R5 1600X are wrong which calls the rest of the table into question.

AlienALX
26-02-17, 12:27 PM
TBH AMD may not have even settled on the final clocks yet. The prices look believable though. Well, at least in the same galaxy as I would expect them to be :)

Dark NighT
26-02-17, 03:28 PM
Rest in piece Bill Paxton, he just passed away at 61, such a great actor.

AngryGoldfish
26-02-17, 03:53 PM
Rest in piece Bill Paxton, he just passed away at 61, such a great actor.

Ahhh, that's a shame. Frequency is one of my favourite guilty pleasures. I'm sad to hear it was due to surgery complications, suggesting it was not entirely expected. That will be tough for the family.

Excalabur50
26-02-17, 10:29 PM
Wow and only 61 what a shame

NickOmega
27-02-17, 12:36 AM
Also Neil Fingleton. UK's tallest man and Game of Thrones actor:
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/game-thrones-actor-neil-fingleton-dies-36-211400051.html

Heart failure aged 36

Warchild
27-02-17, 07:46 AM
Intel trying to manipulate AMD Ryzen reviews. Apparently they want reviewers to follow an "intel review guideline" when reviewing AMD cpus. Also the email had the content "Call us before you write"

Source (http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-is-trying-to-manipulate-amd-ryzen-launch.html)

Courtesy of Guru3D, I wonder if TTL has received a similar email from Intel.

Greenback
27-02-17, 08:09 AM
Intel trying to manipulate AMD Ryzen reviews. Apparently they want reviewers to follow an "intel review guideline" when reviewing AMD cpus. Also the email had the content "Call us before you write"

Source (http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-is-trying-to-manipulate-amd-ryzen-launch.html)

Well if it's true, if a site you visit has totally different results to most other sites, you know to remove it from your favourites list. as it's untrustworthy

RobM
27-02-17, 08:18 AM

Seems Intel will never learn and will probably end up in the courts again for their illegal and unfair practices.

Dark NighT
27-02-17, 08:46 AM
Could write entire essays but i will just say, if true, intel you are disgusting.

WYP
27-02-17, 08:53 AM

I have been hearing rumblings of this over the weekend, as well as rumours the company wants to offer "price incentives" to only use Intel server chips over naples/Zen chips.

Warchild
27-02-17, 09:25 AM
Seems Intel will never learn and will probably end up in the courts again for their illegal and unfair practices.

wccftech also confirmed they were approached with the same email but stated it's business as usual from their side.

I do wonder what the legality is behind this kinda of practise. An email itself cannot prove anything but if Intel are manipulating reviews/websites and results, well AMD have a case on their hands.

Greenback
27-02-17, 09:30 AM
wccftech also confirmed they were approached with the same email but stated it's business as usual from their side.

I do wonder what the legality is behind this kinda of practise. An email itself cannot prove anything but if Intel are manipulating reviews/websites and results, well AMD have a case on their hands.

I would think that it's what comes if you phone them b4 you write the review and they offer a incentive to change said review

WYP
27-02-17, 09:39 AM

wccftech would say anything for clicks though, hard to believe what they say there.

SemiAccurate is a lot more believable, but it is hard to trust Wccftech as a whole.

They have a lot of good writers, like Keith May, but they are a website that is mostly a rumour mill.

AlienALX
27-02-17, 10:57 AM
Said all of this before, a thousand times. Nobody ever listens to me.

Funny how as soon as some dude with a website says it every one starts believing it.

*sigh* as if a guy telling you he used to manage and run a shop who was told by Intel that if he wanted their P4 he was not allowed to stock AMD CPUs at all wasn't good enough.

tinytomlogan
27-02-17, 11:09 AM
Said all of this before, a thousand times. Nobody ever listens to me.

Funny how as soon as some dude with a website says it every one starts believing it.

*sigh* as if a guy telling you he used to manage and run a shop who was told by Intel that if he wanted their P4 he was not allowed to stock AMD CPUs at all wasn't good enough.

Its not tbf.

As for the email thing it just sounds like clickbait. All manu's try and find out what youre testing and how youre testing it. There will be stuff that both camps are worse in, its normal.

AlienALX
27-02-17, 11:12 AM
Its not tbf.

As for the email thing it just sounds like clickbait. All manu's try and find out what youre testing and how youre testing it. There will be stuff that both camps are worse in, its normal.

Even though Intel were taken to court for it (on more than one occasion) and lost, and had to pay AMD fines. All of which is public information.

tinytomlogan
27-02-17, 11:16 AM
Even though Intel were taken to court for it (on more than one occasion) and lost, and had to pay AMD fines. All of which is public information.

Old news mate. Youre just going over old ground and its got FA to do with this.

Ive not had an email but I would assume its "what are you testing with, make sure you dont miss this out"

Green red and blue do it every time.

The fact it was in an 'email' is the reason I dont believe it tbh.

Doomslayer
27-02-17, 11:18 AM
Its not tbf.

I agree 100%

It's all fair in business.

AMD would be doing the same thing if they were in the same position as Intel if people try and say "Oh AMD would never do this" well i'm sorry you have rocks in your head.

WYP
27-02-17, 11:22 AM
Its not tbf.

It makes sense, Intel making sure that reviewers are not "skipping" certain tests at the request of AMD.

It would be like a Nvidia reviews skipping all DX12 games. Obviously, AMD would request that some DX12 titles are tested for both an honest, well-rounded, review and to showcase their products in a good light.

on the other side of the coin, it would make sense for Nvidia to request that the review isn't DX12 exclusive, includes power consumption data and uses a wide range of titles.

All to showcase products in a well-rounded manner and to not skip important details. At least that is how I see it.

Intel sending emails about Ryzen isn't in itself a bad thing, it is all about the contents. If it is a request to use a certain test it isn't necessarily a bad thing, it only turns bat if they want data manipulation and for reviewers to not use benchmarks that showcase Ryzen's strength is where problems will arise.

Requesting for reviewers to do certain tests is fine, it is when they request that reviewers don't do certain tests is where problems arise.

Intel's anti-competitive practices were with retailers and system builders, not reviewers.

AlienALX
27-02-17, 12:05 PM
Old news mate. Youre just going over old ground and its got FA to do with this.

Ive not had an email but I would assume its "what are you testing with, make sure you dont miss this out"

Green red and blue do it every time.

The fact it was in an 'email' is the reason I dont believe it tbh.

Yeah probably bogus.

AngryGoldfish
27-02-17, 01:08 PM
Just because TTL didn't receive this kind of email doesn't mean it isn't happening to other media sites. Conversely even if it's true just because one or two sites did receive this kind of email doesn't mean it is happening to others.

AlienALX
27-02-17, 01:10 PM
Just because TTL didn't receive this kind of email doesn't mean it isn't happening to other media sites. Conversely even if it's true just because one or two sites did receive this kind of email doesn't mean it is happening to others.

Well I know full well that Nvidia send out review guides for their GPUs. I've seen them.

That's why they all run the same games etc, and are usually missing anything that favours AMD (not that there's an awful lot of that, mind) but yeah, it's definitely a case of "Do what we say, not what you want".

Warchild
27-02-17, 01:15 PM
Its not tbf.

Thats probably why wccftech (reputable or not it doesnt matter) stated that it was business as usual for them, nothing out of the ordinary.

AngryGoldfish
27-02-17, 01:17 PM
Well I know full well that Nvidia send out review guides for their GPUs. I've seen them.

That's why they all run the same games etc, and are usually missing anything that favours AMD (not that there's an awful lot of that, mind) but yeah, it's definitely a case of "Do what we say, not what you want".

This is normal practise, though. I see reviewers being requested to review the product or service a particular way so that the public is clear on where they stand. The problems arise when the competitiveness and involvement becomes abusive or unfair. There is a fine line that many of the major media representatives (Tech Radar comes to mind) clearly pass. As to it being definitively provable is another thing. And that's an important distinction, IMO. Because I can't categorically prove that Tech Radar are not to be trusted within reason I shouldn't go around spreading vitriol or unproven murmurs.

WYP
27-02-17, 01:24 PM

AMD also sends their own "reviewers guides", it is standard practice to ensure that developers show the strong points of products. From there it is up to reviewers to cover everything else from there.

The point is that you use all the tests that all companies want to see used, plus a few tests of your own, then you have a fairly balanced review that covers the strong points and weak points of a product.

You would be surprised how much of a PC novice a lot of reviewers are, some need the guide to make a half decent review. Most don't even know how changes to CPU voltages other than V-Core affect overclocking and system longevity.

To put is simply, "reviewers guides" are not the evil thing that clickbait sites and reddit would want you to believe.

Warchild
27-02-17, 01:32 PM
This is normal practise, though. I see reviewers being requested to review the product or service a particular way so that the public is clear on where they stand. The problems arise when the competitiveness and involvement becomes abusive or unfair. There is a fine line that many of the major media representatives (Tech Radar comes to mind) clearly pass. As to it being definitively provable is another thing. And that's an important distinction, IMO. Because I can't categorically prove that Tech Radar are not to be trusted within reason I shouldn't go around spreading vitriol or unproven murmurs.

yes they do it, but what has me curious is that intel want people (if true) to follow intel guidelines when testing a rival CPU.

Nvidia send out guidlines yes, but that is how to test their own cards and make it shine more.

AlienALX
27-02-17, 02:05 PM
You would be surprised how much of a PC novice a lot of reviewers are, some need the guide to make a half decent review. Most don't even know how changes to CPU voltages other than V-Core affect overclocking and system longevity.

Oh believe me I would. I've seen plenty of feckless morons manhandling hardware over the past few months.

Jayz blew up a FX chip a few weeks ago.

These are the guys who are supposed to be showing us how to do it, lmao.

Let's face it it's nothing to do with hardware knowledge and all about fame, personality and presentation.

The Intel rep we had at our place was a good looking young chap who wore a suit and reeked of Joop. He had absolutely no idea how to build a PC. In fact, he asked us to build one for him when he quit.

AngryGoldfish
27-02-17, 03:56 PM
At first I used to get a kick out of Linus and Jay making a hames of something, but eventually it became annoying.

"I drilled this board so you don't have to."

Well, thanks for that. I really needed to know whether drilling a board was a good thing to do.

I always watch Jay and respect his abilities, but he's not my favourite and by no means my 'go-to'.

RobM
27-02-17, 05:23 PM
At first I used to get a kick out of Linus and Jay making a hames of something, but eventually it became annoying.

"I drilled this board so you don't have to."

Well, thanks for that. I really needed to know whether drilling a board was a good thing to do.

I always watch Jay and respect his abilities, but he's not my favourite and by no means my 'go-to'.
I also watch Jay but only because I like his format and find him entertaining unlike Linus who now bores me.
I look to TTL for the informative stuff as feel he has no bias and is honest, or thats how I perceive him anyhoo

AngryGoldfish
27-02-17, 08:35 PM
The 1800X has been tested on CPU Mark. The single threaded performance is looking very positive.

http://www.eteknix.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-benchmarked-in-cpu-mark/

Zoot
02-03-17, 07:25 AM
Early review of the Ryzen 7 1700X (in Arabic) for anyone who can't wait until 2pm today (at least I think it's 2pm).

Grain of salt required etc.....

http://www.shahrsakhtafzar.com/fa/review/cpu/11652-amd-ryzen-7-1700x-review?showall=1&limitstart=

Dicehunter
05-03-17, 11:49 AM
3DMark Time Spy results of the 1080 Ti have been seen, Slightly faster than a Titan XP when both are around stock clocks, No 1080 Ti OC scores yet though -

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/1303084/spy/1307626/spy/1310153/spy/1301697/spy/1219203

http://i.imgur.com/Hpby5K9.png

WYP
05-03-17, 12:06 PM
3DMark Time Spy results of the 1080 Ti have been seen, Slightly faster than a Titan XP when both are around stock clocks, No 1080 Ti OC scores yet though -

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/1303084/spy/1307626/spy/1310153/spy/1301697/spy/1219203

http://i.imgur.com/Hpby5K9.png

Oooo, interesting. Nice spot Dice

AlienALX
05-03-17, 12:22 PM
Aye good spot fella. Looking like it's going to be be a beast :)

AngryGoldfish
05-03-17, 01:42 PM
Damn, that thing is beastly. Nvidia are absolutely killing it with these GPU's. While the technology is somewhat uninspiring and price is concerning, the performance is definitely welcome.

AlienALX
05-03-17, 02:13 PM
It has been discovered that Ryzen's SMT problems are something to do with Windows 10.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/page-8#post-38775732

As Windows 7 seems to work much better, hilariously.

Dicehunter
06-03-17, 08:52 AM
New 1080 Ti overclocked 3DMark results, It's insane, 31,000 Firestrike score up from the 1080's 23,000, Basically Titan X scores.

https://videocardz.com/67004/first-overclocked-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-3dmark-benchmarks-leaked

http://i.imgur.com/cmYgS6Z.jpg

AngryGoldfish
06-03-17, 11:13 AM
Vega's not even going to come close to that.

Dicehunter
06-03-17, 11:20 AM
Vega's not even going to come close to that.

Vega may surpass it, We really don't know anything other than 2 small glimpses at Battlefront at 4K and Doom at 4K which could be small Vega.

Doomslayer
06-03-17, 11:53 AM
New 1080 Ti overclocked 3DMark results, It's insane, 31,000 Firestrike score up from the 1080's 23,000, Basically Titan X scores.

https://videocardz.com/67004/first-overclocked-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-3dmark-benchmarks-leaked

Ah i see Nvidia is already starting to put the screws to AMD.

TBH i don't think that Vega is going to get anyway close to the GTX1080Ti it might only equal to a GTX1070 or 1080 but no way in the world it's going to equal to the 1080Ti.

WYP
06-03-17, 12:06 PM

Vega is going to have to the Super Saiyan of AMD GPUs to do well compared to this, though with all these new/larger cooler designs I wonder how hot the 1080Ti will be.

AngryGoldfish
06-03-17, 12:19 PM
Vega is going to have to the Super Saiyan of AMD GPUs to do well compared to this, though with all these new/larger cooler designs I wonder how hot the 1080Ti will be.

This.

While I do think that what we saw at CES was Vega 10 being 10% faster than a 1080 in a game that favours AMD and that such performance was not its final form, there is no way in my mind that Vega 10 can match that kind of raw performance. Maybe you'll see a game that really heavily favours AMD showing a non-reference overclocked Vega 10 scratching at the heals of a stock reference 1080ti, but it won't have the raw core performance.

That's my prediction. Obviously it's speculative, but we do have the somewhat tepid showing at CES and past generations to back it up. Vega 10 in my eyes is aimed at beating the 1080. The 1080ti and Titan XP are just too far away.

I really wish AMD didn't say "Poor Volta" in that promotional video. I think that was a stupid mistake.

WYP
06-03-17, 12:27 PM
This.

While I do think that what we saw at CES was Vega 10 being 10% faster than a 1080 in a game that favours AMD and that such performance was not its final form, there is no way in my mind that Vega 10 can match that kind of raw performance. Maybe you'll see a game that really heavily favours AMD showing a non-reference overclocked Vega 10 scratching at the heals of a stock reference 1080ti, but it won't have the raw core performance.

That's my prediction. Obviously it's speculative, but we do have the somewhat tepid showing at CES and past generations to back it up. Vega 10 in my eyes is aimed at beating the 1080. The 1080ti and Titan XP are just too far away.

I really wish AMD didn't say "Poor Volta" in that promotional video. I think that was a stupid mistake.

TBH AMD should have seen the 1080Ti coming for ages, the Titan X Pascal has been out for a long time.

The new architecture has a lot of HUGE changes which will greatly increase performance in certain tasks, it is very much a matter of how much these changes will affect modern and future games.

Lots of the new features are in many ways catching up with Nvidia, with AMD now creating a tile-based rasterizer when Nvidia has had one since maxwell first launched.

Only time will tell how this will all go, though if the Radeon Technology Group has shown us anything it is that they can work fast. The group is not even 2 years old now and AMD's GPU division has already transformed in terms of driver support.

AngryGoldfish
06-03-17, 01:21 PM
I thought this was interesting. It may not just be BIOS revisions and drivers that will benefit Ryzen down the line. Higher clocked memory also seems to be helping in gaming performance according to this article.

http://www.eteknix.com/memory-speed-large-impact-ryzen-performance/

Dicehunter
06-03-17, 03:04 PM

Vega is definitely going to have to be well hung to stand any chance of matching or beating the 1080 Ti AND priced well too, Even if many people don't buy the high end they tend to use it as a measuring stick for their lower tier purchases which also wins a company mind share.

AngryGoldfish
06-03-17, 03:35 PM
Vega is definitely going to have to be well hung to stand any chance of matching or beating the 1080 Ti AND priced well too, Even if many people don't buy the high end they tend to use it as a measuring stick for their lower tier purchases which also wins a company mind share.

This is my concern. I don't need Titan X performance. At 1440p/144Hz, a GTX 1080 is enough unless you absolutely have to play all modern titles with the settings cranked (and even that isn't possible with a Titan XP). I'm quite contented to turn a few settings down to maintain 90 FPS, my preferred sweet spot. Therefore I want a product that is well priced, has intelligent and useful features, supports the industry, is well-rounded, etc. But not everyone else sees it that way. They'll see Nvidia ruling the roost and allow that authority to trickle down to the 1070 vs Vega 11, 1060 vs RX 480, and so on.

Excalabur50
08-03-17, 10:40 PM
Microsoft to use ARM instead of Intel
SEATTLE, March 9 — Microsoft Corp is committing to use chips based on ARM Holdings Plc technology in the machinesthat run its cloud services, potentially imperilling Intel Corp’s longtime dominance in the profitable market for data-centre processors.
Microsoft has developed a version of its Windows operating system for servers using ARM processors, working with Qualcomm Inc and Cavium Inc.
The software maker is now testing these chips for tasks like search, storage, machine learning and big data, said Jason Zander, vice president of Microsoft’s Azure cloud division.
The company isn’t yet running the processors — known for being more power-efficient and offering more choice in vendors— in any customer-facing networks, and wouldn’t specifyhow widespread they eventually will be.
“It’s not deployed into production yet, but that is the next logical step,” Zander said in an interview. “This is a significant commitment on behalf of Microsoft. We wouldn’t even bring something to a conference if we didn’t think this was a committed project and something that’s part of our road map.”
Microsoft is planning to incorporatethe ARM chips as it develops a new cloud server design, which it will discuss yesterday at the Open Compute Project Summit in Santa Clara, California.
The company is announcing new partners and components for the design, first unveiled last year, as it moves closer to putting the machines into its own data centres later this year. Because the design is open-source, meaning it’s freely available to be used and customized, other companies are also likely to use variations.
Both the server design, called Project Olympus, and Microsoft’s work with ARM-based processors reflect the software maker’s push to use hardware innovations to cut costs, boost flexibility and stay competitive with Amazon.com Inc and Alphabet Inc’s Google, which also provide computing power, software and storage via the Internet.
While large cloud companies have moved toward greater use of unbrandedservers, storage and networking gear, Intel chips have remained one of the sole big-name products widely in use. Microsoft’s work with ARM, in progress for several years, could pave the way for a real challenge to Intel, which controls more than 99 per cent of the market for server chips.
While Intel is among companies making components to work with the Project Olympus design, ARM-chip makers such as Qualcomm and Cavium are also in the running, increasing the chancethat other server customers will begin to use these processors. ARM, which licences its chip designs to manufacturers, is owned by Japan’s Softbank Group Corp.
Any challengeto Intel’s dominance in server chips is a threat to its most profitable business and main revenue driver as demand for PC processors continues to shrink.
The company’s Data Centre Group turned US$17.2 billion (RM76.6 billion) of sales into US$7.5 billion of operating profit in 2016, and Intel has been running adsthat say,”98 per cent of the cloud runs on Intel.”
Microsoft’s server spending decisions have the potential to impact suppliers’ bottom lines — its Azure service is No. 2 in cloud infrastructure behind Amazon, and it’s one of the biggest server buyers.
Last month, computer maker Hewlett Packard Enterprise Co reported disappointing quarterly revenue, citing “significantly lower demand” from a major customer. That client was Microsoft, people familiar with the matter said.
This isn’t the first time ARM manufacturers have taken aim at the server market. Other chipmakers have promised computer components—based on the ARM technology that dominates in mobile phones — that would loosenIntel’s stranglehold, yet none have done so.
That may be changing this year as Qualcomm, one of the few companies that can rival Intel’s spending on research and design, begins offering its first server processor and as other chipmakers finally field long-promised chips that are capable of competing.
“This is a marathon, it’s not a sprint. I’m not starting to count the dollar bills any time soon,” said Anand Chandrasekher, a former Intel executive who heads Qualcomm’sserverchip unit. “One day in a few years we will wake up and say ‘this is pretty cool when did that happen?”
Intel expressed confidence in the continued superiority of its Xeon server chips, in a statement.
“We operate in a highly competitive market and take all competitors seriously,” the company said. “We are confident that Xeon processors will continue to deliver the highest performance and lowest total cost of ownership for our cloud customers. However, we understand the desire of our customers to evaluate other product offerings.”
Microsoft will give an update on its work on Project Olympus today in a keynote speech by Kushagra Vaid, general manager of Azure Hardware Infrastructure at Microsoft, as part of a track of sessions on the Microsoft design at the conference.
Partners including Qualcomm, Intel, Dell Technologies, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Advanced Micro Devices Inc and Samsung Electronics Co are making chips, servers and components for use in the Microsoft design, said Vaid, who spent 11 years at Intel before joining Microsoft.
One of those planned components is an add-in box made by Microsoft and chipmaker Nvidia Corp that plugs into the server to enable powerful processing for artificial intelligence tasks. The device, which runs Nvidia’s graphics chips, lets Microsoft and other cloud providers more easily and cheaply host AI applications on their cloud networks.
For customers, the product frees them from having to invest in the computing powerneeded to perform the complex training and analysing needed for tasks like machine learning, Nvidia Chief Executive OfficerJen-Hsun Huangsaid.
“In order to use deep learning you need a supercomputer and a platform that runs any and all AI tools. Startups would rather use their money to hire people and do software development,” he said. “Now there are AI supercomputers in the cloud and you pay as you go.”
While the AI device announced yesterday was developed with Nvidia, Microsoft said future updates could add products using Intel’s Nervana chips. — Bloomberg
- See more at: http://www.themalaymailonline.com/tech-gadgets/article/microsoft-pledges-to-use-arm-server-chips-in-challenge-to-intel#sthash.OeUrml1O.dpuf
Courtesy of Windows News and Malaymail

Excalabur50
11-03-17, 05:07 AM
https://videocardz.com/67270/msi-shows-off-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-series

Sorry bit lazy but the site is videocardz and shows all of MSI's offerings

Excalabur50
12-03-17, 07:42 AM
Remember support stops for Windows Vista from tomorrow

WYP
12-03-17, 03:33 PM
Remember support stops for Windows Vista from tomorrow

Does anyone actually have fond memories of Vista?

AlienALX
12-03-17, 03:37 PM
Does anyone actually have fond memories of Vista?

Sorta kinda.

I first installed it about three days after it came out. I was visiting a pal out in MD USA and he had a Dell version that worked with no serial.

I liked it (especially how it looked) but hated the sound change (from hardware to software). TBH my biggest gripe with Vista was that it was basically released three years too soon. It looked so pretty that you needed serious hardware to shift around the features ETC, and that wasn't around when it launched.

I tried to use it day to day with Media Center, but it just continued to die etc. Then I stopped using it when 7 came out and didn't use it for years.

Around three years ago I built a dell workstation and had Win 7, Vista, XP MC, Linux and so on all booting from it. I actually really liked Vista when I used it with all of the patches and packs on decent, powerful hardware.

IMO it's still probably the best looking OS Microsoft have made. It got everything about perfect, instead of this cartoon like OS we are heading into now (thanks, Apple...).

Excalabur50
12-03-17, 11:07 PM
The one feature that I really liked from Vista is the movable desktops which you can do again now with Wallpaper Engine from Steam which I think Dicey mentioned, it's really good I now have it on my Windows 10 and love it

Doomslayer
12-03-17, 11:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URfMhFl9R1Q&t=0s

Dicehunter
12-03-17, 11:41 PM
The one feature that I really liked from Vista is the movable desktops which you can do again now with Wallpaper Engine from Steam which I think Dicey mentioned, it's really good I now have it on my Windows 10 and love it

Yep, Love animated backgrounds, Was my favourite feature of Vista ^_^

V8iADjR0EY4

Shingara
13-03-17, 09:30 PM
amd just put this out https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/13/amd-ryzen-community-update?sf62107357=1

WYP
13-03-17, 11:11 PM
amd just put this out https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/13/amd-ryzen-community-update?sf62107357=1

Just seen this myself, very interesting. Puts the whole "scheduling issue" rumours to bed.

Shingara
13-03-17, 11:27 PM
Just seen this myself, very interesting. Puts the whole "scheduling issue" rumours to bed.

Well it does and it doesnt, still the odd issue of how windows sees the cpu/s, but its more a case of how games send what to where and ignore the schedular. And although amd sort right it off, the schedular does have this wierd habit of just throwing work across to the other set of cores and forcing the core groups to talk over infinity fabric.

And its not such a bad thing if it does it once or twice, but if its doing it once or twice every few milliseconds, or its loading shared work across multiple threads that are on dif core groups ie not shared cache then thats where we see the impact.

Because remember it doesnt need to be flipping work across threads to hit the penalty, just having work thats related on dif threads that have to share data across the infinity fabric hits that brick wall too. So its as much on where games are sending work and also shed knowing to put related work on the same core group aswell as stopping the shed just randomly putting work where it wants every now and again.

it does it on intel aswell, but intel it doesnt matter because of how those work.

WYP
14-03-17, 09:54 AM
Well it does and it doesnt, still the odd issue of how windows sees the cpu/s, but its more a case of how games send what to where and ignore the schedular. And although amd sort right it off, the schedular does have this wierd habit of just throwing work across to the other set of cores and forcing the core groups to talk over infinity fabric.

And its not such a bad thing if it does it once or twice, but if its doing it once or twice every few milliseconds, or its loading shared work across multiple threads that are on dif core groups ie not shared cache then thats where we see the impact.

Because remember it doesnt need to be flipping work across threads to hit the penalty, just having work thats related on dif threads that have to share data across the infinity fabric hits that brick wall too. So its as much on where games are sending work and also shed knowing to put related work on the same core group aswell as stopping the shed just randomly putting work where it wants every now and again.

it does it on intel aswell, but intel it doesnt matter because of how those work.

Yeah, it is still an issue, but it seems to be a game/developer issue and not a Windows 10 issue.

It seems that the speed/latency of the infinity fabric is a real issue for Ryzen, which really explains why Ryzen is benefiting from faster memory (as the fabric speeds are linked to DDR RAM speeds). This explains why some games are benefiting from faster memory. That being said, this is not the major issue that some are making it out to be.

Hopefully, developers will quickly react to this information and ensure that future games/programs will access Ryzen's resources properly, though there seems to be real merit to the analogy that Ryzen acts like a dual-socket 2x4-core rather than a traditional 8-core.

(This is conjecture based on incomplete information, hopefully this will all be clarified in time)

NeverBackDown
14-03-17, 04:17 PM
Yeah, it is still an issue, but it seems to be a game/developer issue and not a Windows 10 issue.

It seems that the speed/latency of the infinity fabric is a real issue for Ryzen, which really explains why Ryzen is benefiting from faster memory (as the fabric speeds are linked to DDR RAM speeds). This explains why some games are benefiting from faster memory.

Hopefully, developers will quickly react to this information and ensure that future games will access Ryzen's resources properly, though there seems to be real merit to the analogy that Ryzen acts like a dual-socket 2x4-core rather than a traditional 8-core.

We don't know what effect the fabric is having yet. You shouldn't be claiming anything until we have concrete information (given your position). You shouldn't say it effects games, there is little way of knowing but yet in multi threaded application it dominates Intel. So it isn't an issue. Really just not a lot to go off of

AngryGoldfish
14-03-17, 04:35 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with making educated guesses in a somewhat tangential manner.

NeverBackDown
14-03-17, 04:49 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with making educated guesses in a somewhat tangential manner.

It's not really educated though it's all speculation. The person who made these discoveries over at Pcper doesn't even know the whole story other than there is some latency between CCX modules. That was the only data he can prove. Everything else is just what people may think but really only CPU architects would know the whole issue and Devs would know it's implications for what it means to program for. Like I said, not a lot to guess about until we get some Dev who can explain what's going on, if there is an issue or if it is just that they optimize for Intel so they just need to add Zen or whatever

Bartacus
14-03-17, 05:04 PM
PCper were honest about that though. It's all speculation at this point, but personally I find it very interesting speculation. This CPU fascinates me, and makes me want to learn more about Intel's core architecture for comparisons sake. It won't change any purchasing decisions for me since I'm going Ryzen for sure in the near future, once the memory stuff gets sorted out.

Shingara
14-03-17, 05:07 PM
Just a note, when we are talking about ryzen it is so we can better understand it, might not make a nats balls difference to performance going forwards but when its discussed if we can better understand ryzen then we can make better discussion on it.

And its not just pcper who have looked into this, they have done it on the windows side, but wendell as a good example has looked into it from the linux side of things, and the guy knows what he is talking about and he is the one who picked up on the fact ram speed and infinity fabric has some promise.

So its not so much speculation of what could be, its more understanding why it does what it does and how different things effect it that could help people when purchasing parts for there build. The more informed you are then the better place you are in when deciding what to buy.

Bartacus
14-03-17, 05:09 PM
Shingara: well said! Wendell is the man. That guy is VERY knowledgeable, and is also very good at conveying that knowledge in a form that us lesser nerds can digest and learn from.

NeverBackDown
14-03-17, 05:30 PM
PCper were honest about that though. It's all speculation at this point, but personally I find it very interesting speculation. This CPU fascinates me, and makes me want to learn more about Intel's core architecture for comparisons sake. It won't change any purchasing decisions for me since I'm going Ryzen for sure in the near future, once the memory stuff gets sorted out.

I know they were. Many people just read one line and take it as fact is all.

Bartacus
14-03-17, 05:36 PM
I know they were. Many people just read one line and take it as fact is all.

Agreed! Those people are stupid and must be ignored. :) Hard to do though! Ryzen has broken the internet and revealed all sorts of ignorant short-sighted stupidity, even from popular tech reviewers. It's kinda sad really.

AngryGoldfish
14-03-17, 07:58 PM
It's not really educated though it's all speculation. The person who made these discoveries over at Pcper doesn't even know the whole story other than there is some latency between CCX modules. That was the only data he can prove. Everything else is just what people may think but really only CPU architects would know the whole issue and Devs would know it's implications for what it means to program for. Like I said, not a lot to guess about until we get some Dev who can explain what's going on, if there is an issue or if it is just that they optimize for Intel so they just need to add Zen or whatever

You know, you're probably right. I just think it's fun to stipulate.

NeverBackDown
14-03-17, 08:38 PM
You know, you're probably right. I just think it's fun to stipulate.

I understand. Sorry if It came off edgy. Just completely tired of everywhere Zen is mentioned this thing pops up and people just spill out BS. Drives me nuts. I usually don't care but stupid people get my blood boiling. So I probably came off edgy. I didn't intend to.
It is fun to stipulate, but I feel personally we can't really do that right now with next to no information

AngryGoldfish
14-03-17, 08:46 PM
I understand. Sorry if It came off edgy. Just completely tired of everywhere Zen is mentioned this thing pops up and people just spill out BS. Drives me nuts. I usually don't care but stupid people get my blood boiling. So I probably came off edgy. I didn't intend to.
It is fun to stipulate, but I feel personally we can't really do that right now with next to no information

I really didn't like it when AMD fanboys were throwing around the term Asynchronous Compute when the Fury X came out. They had no idea what it was yet were spouting about it like they were well-versed in it. They all said it would mean Nvidia's demise since they didn't include it on a hardware level to the same degree as AMD, but Nvidia remains the top dog after three years. I understand it can be really, really annoying when people talk about things they have no clue about. I do it from time to time as well. :D

AlienALX
14-03-17, 09:44 PM
I really didn't like it when AMD fanboys were throwing around the term Asynchronous Compute when the Fury X came out. They had no idea what it was yet were spouting about it like they were well-versed in it. They all said it would mean Nvidia's demise since they didn't include it on a hardware level to the same degree as AMD, but Nvidia remains the top dog after three years. I understand it can be really, really annoying when people talk about things they have no clue about. I do it from time to time as well. :D

I did a lot of reading about it when they released the 7970 (Async). I still believe they should have gone for smaller dies/higher clocks, even to this day. It's Fermi kitchen sink if it's not going to be used.

Shingara
14-03-17, 09:45 PM

To be fair, aysnc compute is going tobe world changing, and back then amd did have the edge with the fury because of hbm, problem is i think people expected async tobe an overnight thing, like devs were just gonna dig into there code and rewrite everything like it was as simple as ticking a box.

I just think some people dont understand all the nuts and bolts that go on under the hood of games, and yes we can scream horrible console port alot of the time, or badly optomised.

Sometimes they are terrible ports, sometimes they are badly optomised. But its not an easy thing tobe the best of the best in everything. Thats why we have awesome games companys and devs we look upto and others we laugh at, it aint easy bein good, and good talent aint easy to get.

AngryGoldfish
14-03-17, 09:48 PM
To be fair, aysnc compute is going tobe world changing, and back then amd did have the edge with the fury because of hbm, problem is i think people expected async tobe an overnight thing, like devs were just gonna dig into there code and rewrite everything like it was as simple as ticking a box.

I just think some people dont understand all the nuts and bolts that go on under the hood of games, and yes we can scream horrible console port alot of the time, or badly optomised.

Sometimes they are terrible ports, sometimes they are badly optomised. But its not an easy thing tobe the best of the best in everything. Thats why we have awesome games companys and devs we look upto and others we laugh it, it aint easy bein good, and good talent aint easy to get.

That's right. People complain about poorly optimised games as if Ubisoft or EA can just click the 'optimise' button and we can all suddenly hit 60 FPS at 1080p with a GTX 960.

Shingara
14-03-17, 09:56 PM
That's right. People complain about poorly optimised games as if Ubisoft or EA can just click the 'optimise' button and we can all suddenly hit 60 FPS at 1080p with a GTX 960.

Well thats the other side of the coin isnt it, graphics companys and engine creators create all these new fangled things that make games that little bit better (most of the time) like tress fx, lighting, shading, fine detail hell now we even have makes grass act real effects from nvidia.

People wanna turn that stuff on to see all the shineys, but then are shocked when they cause a performance hit like all those effects are somehow free.

AlienALX
14-03-17, 10:26 PM
Well thats the other side of the coin isnt it, graphics companys and engine creators create all these new fangled things that make games that little bit better (most of the time) like tress fx, lighting, shading, fine detail hell now we even have makes grass act real effects from nvidia.

People wanna turn that stuff on to see all the shineys, but then are shocked when they cause a performance hit like all those effects are somehow free.

Tress FX was probably the least taxing of all of them, and worked on Nvidia very well after a patch. And it was awesome too. How many other games used it? none AFAIK.

Things like that are not the problem. The problem is lack of time. Coding a half decent game can take years, and by the time it launches it's already outdated (see also Fallout 4, which takes a very long time to code due to all of the quests and tiny nuances that need to be coded in). Bethesda slapped on the Gamedoesn'twork after it was launched and it shows.

If for example Nvidia slowed down launching GPUs then devs would not have faster hardware to excuse sloppy code. Now yeah, I'm not going to be too hard on them because they do what they can in the timescale provided to them. Most game devs now are working under a corporation so are being pushed like crazy to get the games out there.

However, let me use an example here. Dead Island. It initially launched looking incredible (the graphics, gameplay was like a B movie, I loved it, others hated it). Any way, game play aside the game looked utterly stunning when it launched and was very easy to run. Then recently they udpated it with bang up to date graphics that are, at times, breathtaking and again, pish easy to run.

So it can be done. However, they've obviously had lots of time working on it to make it run like that, and I feel the issue is compounded by the fact that hardware moves on at five hundred miles an hour.

I can safely say though that 1. It's one of the best looking games I own and B. It flies along regardless of what GPU I feed it.

Shingara
14-03-17, 10:31 PM
Ye but your touching in the area of engine vs engine a bit, what one engine can do with ease, the other engine you have to drive the effects through with a freaking sledge hammer.

Hell even the same engine but dif version can have drasticlly different needs when it comes to effects.

Warchild
15-03-17, 09:56 AM
This is quick news guys. You should make a thread to discuss.

AngryGoldfish
15-03-17, 02:10 PM
AMD's Technical Marketing Head released a small guide on how to increase performance on Ryzen CPU's. It appears to offer nothing new (overclock the CPU and memory) but it's nice to see AMD getting involved.

http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/103531-amd-tech-guru-shares-ryzen-gaming-optimisation-tips/

Shingara
15-03-17, 09:52 PM
Just noticed that the 10 hour trial is up for mass effect andromeda, funky thing is its not in the origin access, its actually on the store page, so check the actual store page on origin, scroll down and you will see download trial there.

Dont know how you want to report this, i have origin accesss so others without might want to test, but it looks like everyone gets the 10 hour trial that carries over.

Edit, had a friend check, its only origin access, but how you get it is from the store page still.

Excalabur50
16-03-17, 03:50 AM
AMD Ryzen 5 has been anounced it will launch 11-4-17 the 1600x will be $249 the 1600 219 the 1500x 189 and the 1400 169 US dollars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWdhLXl5a5s

Dicehunter
16-03-17, 04:23 AM
AMD Ryzen 5 has been anounced it will launch 11-4-17 the 1600x will be $249 the 1600 219 the 1500x 189 and the 1400 169 US dollars

I like Dr Su, She always looks so happy ^_^

NeverBackDown
16-03-17, 06:05 AM

$219 for a 6 core? Very very tempting

AngryGoldfish
16-03-17, 05:25 PM
I think if a 1600X (or the cheaper 6 core) can hit the same gaming scores as an R7 1800X, even if a 7700K hits higher numbers I think I'll just go for Ryzen and be contented. I might splurge for the Crosshair and have a nice motherboard for the next three years that has a muted colour scheme and can be adapted to whatever I want.

NeverBackDown
16-03-17, 05:35 PM
I think if a 1600X (or the cheaper 6 core) can hit the same gaming scores as an R7 1800X, even if a 7700K hits higher numbers I think I'll just go for Ryzen and be contented. I might splurge for the Crosshair and have a nice motherboard for the next three years that has a muted colour scheme and can be adapted to whatever I want.

If I go Ryzen, I want a X370 ITX board... just don't think it is gonna happen:(

AngryGoldfish
16-03-17, 05:40 PM
If I go Ryzen, I want a X370 ITX board... just don't think it is gonna happen:(

Another issue with ITX that stops me from adopting it is how starved of air the GPU can become. I've chosen a case that's still really compact and sleek, but supports E-ATX motherboards and cards as big as the ASUS Strix.

NeverBackDown
16-03-17, 06:07 PM
Depends on the case. My GPU is just fine in mine.

Greenback
16-03-17, 06:24 PM
I like Dr Su, She always looks so happy ^_^

I always wonder if she is like that when the camera's aren't around, she makes me think of a boss in a little business not a CEO of a major company

AngryGoldfish
16-03-17, 06:47 PM
Depends on the case. My GPU is just fine in mine.

What case are you using?

NeverBackDown
16-03-17, 07:09 PM
What case are you using?

Phanteks Evolv ITX.
Good case, but I got over it and the Phanteks hype. Don't like it that much anymore tbh and wish I got the FD Nano S. That's even better for the GPU than this case is.

AngryGoldfish
16-03-17, 07:34 PM
Phanteks Evolv ITX.
Good case, but I got over it and the Phanteks hype. Don't like it that much anymore tbh and wish I got the FD Nano S. That's even better for the GPU than this case is.

The NZXT Manta looks like an excellent ITX case, but I suspect the Define Nano S would be even better as it doesn't have a PSU shroud.

Excalabur50
18-03-17, 03:57 AM
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/media/image/thumbnail/GX33NMS_161504_285x255.jpg

MSI 1080Ti Seahawk anyone

NeverBackDown
18-03-17, 04:12 AM

I wish they would go back to the lightning series. Or was that only for the AMD cards?

Excalabur50
18-03-17, 06:22 AM
I wish they would go back to the lightning series. Or was that only for the AMD cards?

No they did both AMD and Nvidia cards, but the problem is with the new GPU architecture it's getting harder to justify the extra price involved to make and then hopefully sell these cards as I don't think they were cheap to make and the performance gains didn't really make them basically worth the asking price

Damien c
18-03-17, 06:50 AM

That is the card I am waiting for but just need to do abit of saving, or I just get one and then 2 weeks later I get another.

Doomslayer
18-03-17, 07:25 AM

Drop the stupid dragon logo then the GPU block would look 100 times better.

Dicehunter
23-03-17, 10:57 PM
8k Dell monitor, $5000

http://www.pcgamer.com/dells-32-inch-8k-monitor-is-here-and-crazy-expensive/?utm_content=bufferdf8fa&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

WYP
24-03-17, 11:00 AM

I prefer plain waterblocks without any branding, though that is just me.

8k Dell monitor, $5000

http://www.pcgamer.com/dells-32-inch-8k-monitor-is-here-and-crazy-expensive/?utm_content=bufferdf8fa&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

We are going to need more powerful GPUs. We are not even ready for 4K yet......

The wait starts now for AMD Navi and Nvidia Volta... lol

Dicehunter
24-03-17, 11:22 AM
We are going to need more powerful GPUs. We are not even ready for 4K yet......

The wait starts now for AMD Navi and Nvidia Volta... lol

In my opinion I think 4K and 8K will largely remain a niche for some time to come especially considering the image improvement when going from 1440P to 4K is minuscule at best and the performance needed is maHOOsive.

Good for photo editors though :)

WYP
24-03-17, 11:38 AM
In my opinion I think 4K and 8K will largely remain a niche for some time to come especially considering the image improvement when going from 1440P to 4K is minuscule at best and the performance needed is maHOOsive.

Good for photo editors though :)

Yeah, outside of productivity 4K doesn't really add much. Go for a higher refresh 1440p panel and enjoy the higher framerates.

TBH I don't even recommend 1440p to friends of mine, as most of them don't care about resolution enough, after all, gaming is about gameplay, not visuals.

AngryGoldfish
24-03-17, 04:44 PM
More interesting rumours surrounding the supposed AMD 16-core part and X399 chipset. Apparently the X399 is for dual socket motherboards while X390 is for the single socket motherboards. This naming scheme makes more sense.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-x390-and-x399-chipsets-diagrams-reveal-hedt-information.html

Dicehunter
25-03-17, 11:53 PM
Not sure if this is news but I was browsing facebook and came across Cougars new case, The Panzer Max, I went to their site and noticed something odd, Something that looks like a Corsair 360mm AIO in one of their pictures with a slightly modified CPU block to go along with the case companies logo, Could this be an unannounced incoming Corsair AIO ?

Spotted it HERE (http://cougargaming.com/ee/products/cases/panzermax/)

http://cougargaming.com/global/img/products/cases/panzermax/product-section-01-4b.jpg

Corsair AIO for reference -

http://www.corsair.com/~/media/corsair/product%20photos/cpu-coolers/h110i-gtx/large/h110i_gtx_06.png

Excalabur50
26-03-17, 12:12 AM
It sure does look like it huh

AlienALX
26-03-17, 01:03 AM
I don't think Corsair actually make those AIOs. Maybe the super new ones they do? chuff knows. Any way, if they don't then that means they are buying them from either Coolit or Asetek. Meaning that the design will be sold to other companies.

So it's just as likely as it being the new Corsair unit that it could be a Cougar branded unit also.

Either that or the pic is a render and the cooler doesn't exist at all.

I do like the case though. Cougar have been making some good moves with cases lately.

jimma47
26-03-17, 01:51 AM
Looks the goods. May be fake there looks to be a line where the lighting and shadows dont quite align near the middle set of fan screws. Like they've chopped 2x 240mm pics together. I do hope they make a 360 though.

Doomslayer
26-03-17, 04:05 AM
Pfft asetek crappy AIO

AngryGoldfish
26-03-17, 11:55 AM
The issue with AIO's is largely the noise. A 360 performs significantly cooler than a 240 (and some cases actually support 360's better than 280's) with lower fan RPM's. If Corsair can introduce a pump as quiet as the Silent Loop and Predator then it could be an excellent alternative to the EK if you have the money.

NeverBackDown
04-04-17, 09:58 PM
Sins of a Solar Empire got a huge update today due it's 5 year anniversary.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/sinsrebellion/announcements/detail/230088516620049321
http://cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/steamcommunity/public/images/clans/3625261/b414e912f6addc3de67d1a892065469378c601eb.png
Sins: Rebellion celebrates its 5-year anniversary with an update that brings significant changes to the game's engine, AI, graphics systems, and more! Modern gamers will enjoy an incredible remastered 4K experience, optimizations to late-game play, and improved memory capabilities.

Major Features:

Graphics Optimizations
Sins: Rebellion gets a face lift in v1.9! The improvements to the memory system have allowed for a new "Extreme" texture setting that makes the game look better than ever. The difference is noticeable in everything from the ships and the planets all the way to shadow rendering. The UI will look incredible on 4K monitors now thanks to user interface scaling.

Memory Optimizations
Concern yourself with space battles instead of space restrictions! Previously, Sins: Rebellion's 32-bit process was unable to exceed 2 GB of RAM usage. New adjustments in v1.9 allows the game to use up to 4 GB of RAM, which reduces crashes and lets modders focus on their creations instead of worrying about hitting the 32-bit limit. Any mods that already exist will benefit from the engine improvements with an overall better look and performance.

Late Game Optimizations
Reduced stuttering and lag during late game battles let you focus on the fight! The game's AI has also received some updates, making for more interesting challenges and gameplay.
Full patch notes here (http://steamcommunity.com/app/204880/discussions/0/135513421443258196/)
75% off because of the anniversary:)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/204880/

Happy to say one of my favorite RTS games ever CONTINUES to get amazing support even after 5 years. It is very refreshing to know the devs truly care about this game. I can't wait for a sequel, even though they don't plan on one until Stardock finishes with AotS. Really can't wait for them to hurry it up!

AlienALX
05-04-17, 08:38 AM
Apple admits that the "bin" was a mistake, pledges more modular PC. Can't put the source link in.

WYP
05-04-17, 08:44 AM
Sins of a Solar Empire got a huge update today due it's 5 year anniversary.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/sinsrebellion/announcements/detail/230088516620049321
http://cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/steamcommunity/public/images/clans/3625261/b414e912f6addc3de67d1a892065469378c601eb.png
Sins: Rebellion celebrates its 5-year anniversary with an update that brings significant changes to the game's engine, AI, graphics systems, and more! Modern gamers will enjoy an incredible remastered 4K experience, optimizations to late-game play, and improved memory capabilities.

Major Features:

Graphics Optimizations
Sins: Rebellion gets a face lift in v1.9! The improvements to the memory system have allowed for a new "Extreme" texture setting that makes the game look better than ever. The difference is noticeable in everything from the ships and the planets all the way to shadow rendering. The UI will look incredible on 4K monitors now thanks to user interface scaling.

Memory Optimizations
Concern yourself with space battles instead of space restrictions! Previously, Sins: Rebellion's 32-bit process was unable to exceed 2 GB of RAM usage. New adjustments in v1.9 allows the game to use up to 4 GB of RAM, which reduces crashes and lets modders focus on their creations instead of worrying about hitting the 32-bit limit. Any mods that already exist will benefit from the engine improvements with an overall better look and performance.

Late Game Optimizations
Reduced stuttering and lag during late game battles let you focus on the fight! The game's AI has also received some updates, making for more interesting challenges and gameplay.
Full patch notes here (http://steamcommunity.com/app/204880/discussions/0/135513421443258196/)
75% off because of the anniversary:)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/204880/

Happy to say one of my favorite RTS games ever CONTINUES to get amazing support even after 5 years. It is very refreshing to know the devs truly care about this game. I can't wait for a sequel, even though they don't plan on one until Stardock finishes with AotS. Really can't wait for them to hurry it up!

I love this game, I'm very happy to see these changes as the RAM limitations were killer in large end-game battles.

AngryGoldfish
05-04-17, 04:46 PM
AMD RX 580 seen hitting 1500Mhz on the core, performing just behind a Fury Nano in Fire Strike.

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-580-570-560-3dmark-performance-benchmarks/

NeverBackDown
05-04-17, 05:45 PM
I love this game, I'm very happy to see these changes as the RAM limitations were killer in large end-game battles.

Same here! An extra 2GB is a ton more for a 32bit engine. Imagine how all the star war mods are going to look in extreme settings and we still have ram headroom!:p

AlienALX
07-04-17, 09:06 AM
PCPER have done a great article based on power management, and how it messes with Ryzen (by parking cores, waking cores, etc).

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/AMD-Releases-Ryzen-Balanced-Power-Plan-Test-Results-Inside

Windows derps Ryzen, now there's a headline :D

It's good though I guess. Another "must have" tweak for Ryzen users :)

Dicehunter
07-04-17, 09:07 AM
PCPER have done a great article based on power management, and how it messes with Ryzen (by parking cores, waking cores, etc).

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/AMD-Releases-Ryzen-Balanced-Power-Plan-Test-Results-Inside

Windows derps Ryzen, now there's a headline :D

It's good though I guess. Another "must have" tweak for Ryzen users :)

Meh, Just set it to max performance ^_^

AlienALX
07-04-17, 09:08 AM
Meh, Just set it to max performance ^_^

Yeah I always do that. I have to really.

AngryGoldfish
09-04-17, 04:56 PM
Early reports are showing the Ryzen 5 CPU's do not clock any higher than the R7 range. 4Ghz is still the ceiling.

NeverBackDown
09-04-17, 05:47 PM
Early reports are showing the Ryzen 5 CPU's do not clock any higher than the R7 range. 4Ghz is still the ceiling.

Not surprising. All Ryzen 5/7 products still use 2 CCX's. So it's really AMD just binning cores at that point(or lasering cores out). Ryzen 3 will be interesting. If they can just use one CCX that should hopefully allow it to clock higher.

Dicehunter
11-04-17, 01:02 PM
Project Scorpio can use Freesync

t18QbBdPK-8

AngryGoldfish
11-04-17, 01:06 PM
I've never noticed tearing playing on consoles, but maybe Freesync will help with fluidity in other areas.

WYP
11-04-17, 01:31 PM
Project Scorpio can use Freesync

t18QbBdPK-8

Very interesting, though I doubt that these displays will be cheap.

I've never noticed tearing playing on consoles, but maybe Freesync will help with fluidity in other areas.

This is because console games typically run at locked framerates, with issues arising when the game dips below the desired framerate.

Think of it this way, if a game is designed to run at 30FPS a good game will run at 30 in the worst case scenario, which means that it could be higher at other time. With VRR the player has the better response times/fluidity of higher framerates when it can but still never dips below 30 if designed right. This is great news.

AngryGoldfish
11-04-17, 01:41 PM
Sounds good then.

Scorpio is shaping up to be the one to buy over the PS Pro. I'm glad I never bothered with a Xbone or PS4. They just weren't that special.

Dicehunter
15-04-17, 02:40 AM
Little Vega teaser video :)

eaHW4Qn-NI0

Bartacus
15-04-17, 02:43 AM
Hearing "high end market" is promising. Let's just hope they can deliver!

Excalabur50
15-04-17, 09:46 AM
Star Citizen 3.0 release date and schedule now released https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Greenback
15-04-17, 11:00 AM
Star Citizen 3.0 release date and schedule now released https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

And all the rest under that it's not going to be out anytime this year then

Excalabur50
16-04-17, 05:21 AM
And all the rest under that it's not going to be out anytime this year then

Actually it is the whole rest of the year! have another closer look :p

Dicehunter
16-04-17, 12:03 PM
The upcoming scorpio has some Vega DNA apparently :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-the-scorpio-engine-in-depth

NeverBackDown
17-04-17, 08:34 PM
Man At Arms: Reforged is now going to get a TV show. Coming out in June. YT videos will still appear and won't be dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuJCeaIk1_0

I am pretty excited. I love all their videos. Watched almost all of them so far:)

Dicehunter
18-04-17, 03:29 PM
Volta equipped GeForce cards may be launching Q3 this year.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/57177/nvidia-launch-next-gen-volta-based-geforce-q3-2017/index.html

AlienALX
18-04-17, 03:43 PM
News from man in Taiwan ®. RAM set to go up 15% again.
Ed, sorry, 12.5%>

Dicehunter
18-04-17, 03:48 PM
Ed, sorry, 12.5%>

Saw that on various news sites yesterday, Glad I got mine when I did.

AngryGoldfish
18-04-17, 03:53 PM
Volta equipped GeForce cards may be launching Q3 this year.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/57177/nvidia-launch-next-gen-volta-based-geforce-q3-2017/index.html

TweakTown are an absolute joke. While they don't take credit for the leak, anything they post immediately makes me doubt the words even if it's not their own.

But if it's true and Volta is coming this year... wow. As an AMD owner I'd be annoyed. As an Nvidia owner I'd be annoyed. I'm no analyst or businessman, but I don't think it's the smart thing to do. Pascal is still perfectly fine. If it's not selling well (which it is), it's because the power is not necessary or because the prices are too high. I don't see how Volta is going to fix this.

Bartacus
18-04-17, 05:02 PM
Ed, sorry, 12.5%>

Damn, I thought I overpaid for the stuff I just bought for my new Ryzen rig ($300CDN + gubmint sodomy). Another 12-15% and I probably would have dropped to cheaper memory!

Greenback
18-04-17, 05:54 PM
Ed, sorry, 12.5%>

looks like I did my upgrade at the right time then :) Finally did something right

Radioman
19-04-17, 09:27 AM
According to PC World Amazon is offering 30 Bucks off AMD list price of $499. The offer is subject to be rescinded without notice.

Looks like the word is out that everyone is jumping on the Ryzen 1700 Bandwagon and Amazon doesn't want to get stuck holding the bag. Better to lose a little money now rather that hold useless inventory that nobody wants.

This doesn't bode well for the 1700X either.

WYP
19-04-17, 09:47 AM
According to PC World Amazon is offering 30 Bucks off AMD list price of $499. The offer is subject to be rescinded without notice.

Looks like the word is out that everyone is jumping on the Ryzen 1700 Bandwagon and Amazon doesn't want to get stuck holding the bag. Better to lose a little money now rather that hold useless inventory that nobody wants.

This doesn't bode well for the 1700X either.

Very interesting, I'll need to look further into this and see if UK/EU prices have changed recently.

Thanks for the info, I wonder if the R7 1700X is reduced?

AlienALX
19-04-17, 10:07 AM
DLL patch out that unlocks updates for Ryzen and Kaby on Win7/8.1

WYP
19-04-17, 10:11 AM
Quick update,

Looking a little deeper into the Ryzen 7 pricing situation we have found that AMD's whole Ryzen 7 range is now coming in at reduced prices here in the UK.

Thanks Radioman for bringing this to my attention.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_have_silently_reduced_the_uk_prices_of_the_ryz en_7_lineup/1

NeverBackDown
19-04-17, 07:19 PM
Quick update,

Looking a little deeper into the Ryzen 7 pricing situation we have found that AMD's whole Ryzen 7 range is now coming in at reduced prices here in the UK.

Thanks Radioman for bringing this to my attention.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_have_silently_reduced_the_uk_prices_of_the_ryz en_7_lineup/1

I can confirm it is not in the US(price deductions are retailer specific as far as I can tell)
I suspect this is happening in the UK due to exchange rates and demand has fallen slightly.

Dicehunter
22-04-17, 12:00 AM
Corsair released a 140mm version of their HD-RGB fans.

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/hd140-rgb-led-high-performance-140mm-pwm-fan

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/media/image/thumbnail/FG06ACS_163515_285x255.jpg

Dicehunter
24-04-17, 09:30 AM
Some pretty nifty hard tube LED rings from Alphacool just showcased -

RNtmP-N-zEI

AlienALX
24-04-17, 12:13 PM
And just think, you won't be fitting any because you pulled a woofter and ran away :p

WYP
24-04-17, 12:15 PM
Some pretty nifty hard tube LED rings from Alphacool just showcased -

RNtmP-N-zEI

That is pretty cool, love the idea.

Excalabur50
24-04-17, 01:03 PM
I don't wish to post the video here but if WYP wants to do some digging it is Rumored that Nvidia have advanced the release date for Volta to Q3 this year for mainstream users

WYP
24-04-17, 01:47 PM
I don't wish to post the video here but if WYP wants to do some digging it is Rumored that Nvidia have advanced the release date for Volta to Q3 this year for mainstream users

I'll have a look into it, thanks for the tip.

Bartacus
24-04-17, 05:57 PM
That is pretty cool, love the idea.
ThermalTake already had fittings with RGB LED rings like this. Someone ripped off TT. Oh the irony.

AngryGoldfish
24-04-17, 05:59 PM
It's not quite a rip-off since Alphacool already had an LED ring surrounding their reservoirs. The Thermaltake stuff is an actual fitting while the Alphacool yoke is just a ring that surrounds the tube.

Greenback
24-04-17, 07:34 PM
Wouldn't care if Alphacool ripped thermaltacky off, I'd trust Alpha over TT anytime, and it would be about time someone did it to them

Bartacus
24-04-17, 07:39 PM
It's not quite a rip-off since Alphacool already had an LED ring surrounding their reservoirs. The Thermaltake stuff is an actual fitting while the Alphacool yoke is just a ring that surrounds the tube.
Thanks for ruining my poke at TT. :D
Wouldn't care if Alphacool ripped thermaltacky off, I'd trust Alpha over TT anytime, and it would be about time someone did it to them
Hence my comment. :) Just commenting on the irony, but you can't really rip off LED rings in truth. They've been around forever.

AngryGoldfish
24-04-17, 07:39 PM
Ha! Sorry, mate! :p

Excalabur50
24-04-17, 11:37 PM
I'll have a look into it, thanks for the tip.

You're Welcome and I see you found it ok :D

Dicehunter
25-04-17, 09:57 AM
Alien Isolation 2 may be on the way according to the official Playstation magazine.

http://www.psu.com/news/32800/alien-isolation-2-news

WYP
25-04-17, 10:11 AM
Alien Isolation 2 may be on the way according to the official Playstation magazine.

http://www.psu.com/news/32800/alien-isolation-2-news

Ooooo, that is interesting. Loved the first one.

I really hope the new film is good.

AngryGoldfish
25-04-17, 11:58 AM
Ooooo, that is interesting. Loved the first one.

I really hope the new film is good.

Yeah, Blade Runner AND Alien this year. So pumped.

Greenback
25-04-17, 12:51 PM
Yeah, Blade Runner AND Alien this year. So pumped.

Did I miss something very Important

AngryGoldfish
25-04-17, 01:07 PM
Did I miss something very Important

Emmmm... Blade Runner 2049?? Directed by Denis Villeneuve?? Produced by Ridley Scott?? Written by the original writers?? Stars Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford?? Cinematography by Roger Deakins?? No??

Warchild
25-04-17, 01:14 PM
Emmmm... Blade Runner 2049?? Directed by Denis Villeneuve?? Produced by Ridley Scott?? Written by the original writers?? Stars Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford?? Cinematography by Roger Deakins?? No??

This is the ultimate movie I have been looking forward to. I am a massive Blade runner nerd. Rutger Hauer is a legend!

AngryGoldfish
25-04-17, 01:49 PM
This is the ultimate movie I have been looking forward to. I am a massive Blade runner nerd. Rutger Hauer is a legend!

Me too. Blade Runner could easily by my favourite film of all time.

Bartacus
25-04-17, 02:07 PM
WHAT?!?!?!?!? I totally missed this too! It won't live up to the classic original though. Nothing could ever measure up to that.

AngryGoldfish
25-04-17, 02:50 PM
WHAT?!?!?!?!? I totally missed this too! It won't live up to the classic original though. Nothing could ever measure up to that.

Well, I know if ever need a rock to live under, I'll know who to contact. :p

AlienALX
25-04-17, 02:51 PM
I have never seen the original.

I s**t thee not.

Greenback
25-04-17, 03:05 PM

Hey I knew about the new alien film :)

I have never seen the original.

I s**t thee not.

It's one you need to see

Bartacus
25-04-17, 05:39 PM

LOL! I am unplugged from most media except forums and YouTube. I avoid all news, don't watch TV, listen to the radio (except sports stuff), and don't read newspapers. I've been happy ever since I abandoned all that crap. :D

AngryGoldfish
25-04-17, 05:50 PM
LOL! I am unplugged from most media except forums and YouTube. I avoid all news, don't watch TV, listen to the radio (except sports stuff), and don't read newspapers. I've been happy ever since I abandoned all that crap. :D

I don't blame you. For anything you're really into you can always find news information on specific sites or reddit subforums. You don't need Facebook and Twitter for that stuff.

I don't watch TV. I haven't in years. I don't miss it. I don't listen to the radio. I kind of wish Facebook was out of my life. It's soul destroying. I'd rather use more specific sites that give me what I want.

Dicehunter
25-04-17, 07:58 PM
Batman: Arkham VR now available on Steam -

http://store.steampowered.com/app/502820/

AlienALX
25-04-17, 08:15 PM
Hmm, wonder if it works with a DK2?

*Googles*

Nope, Google doesn't know yet.

NeverBackDown
25-04-17, 10:21 PM
Hmm, wonder if it works with a DK2?

*Googles*

Nope, Google doesn't know yet.

What's DK2?

Damien c
26-04-17, 05:26 AM
What's DK2?

Guessing the Rift Dev Kit 2.

AlienALX
26-04-17, 11:06 AM
Yeah it was the last dev kit before the consumer release.

It all depends on whether it needs the controllers, and whether you can use a 360 controller instead.

https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/04/batman-arkham-vr-coming-to-htc-vive-and-oculus-rift-this-month/

At launch Batman Arkham VR will support the HTC Vive’s motion controllers and Oculus Touch. It’ll also have full gamepad support on PC, including the PS4 Dual Shock 4 Controller, Xbox One Controller and the Steam Controller

Well that sounds promising :)

Will just have to wait and keep an eye on youtube. Not wanting to waste £15 atm money is tight.

NeverBackDown
27-04-17, 11:48 PM
in the latest release, and the final installment in the Unity 5 cycle, they added Vulkan support officially(it was beta before iirc) as well as massive updates to there particle and lighting systems.

This is very nice to see from them. Unity is pretty popular, and since it now supports Vulkan, it should hopefully entice devs to use it.

Unity. (https://blogs.unity3d.com/2017/03/31/5-6-is-now-available-and-completes-the-unity-5-cycle/?utm_campaign=unitynews_global_newsletter_2017-04-Global-Unity-Newsletter-April&utm_content=2017-04-Global-Unity-Newsletter-1&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua&emailAddress=metalfanatic11%40gmail.com&elqTrackId=68c79e42dbb14848beec29409769d5a1&elq=e1c34f19b0aa4823a817ce09a9dfd7cd&elqaid=4834&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=2999)

Dicehunter
29-04-17, 06:51 PM
This could be interesting, Microsoft are going to add physics support to Direct X -

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/76424-microsoft-planning-to-add-physics-support-to-directx

This line is interesting - “The PhysX simulations can also be accelerated using Ageia hardware.”

Could this see a return of physics cards ?

WYP
29-04-17, 07:20 PM
This could be interesting, Microsoft are going to add physics support to Direct X -

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/76424-microsoft-planning-to-add-physics-support-to-directx

This line is interesting - “The PhysX simulations can also be accelerated using Ageia hardware.”

Could this see a return of physics cards ?

Did you check the date on that article?

Dicehunter
29-04-17, 07:40 PM
Did you check the date on that article?

My bad, Wrong link ^_^

That post was quoted in an updated article :)

http://www.eteknix.com/microsoft-launching-new-api?utm_content=buffercfbb7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

NeverBackDown
29-04-17, 09:33 PM
My bad, Wrong link ^_^

That post was quoted in an updated article :)

http://www.eteknix.com/microsoft-launching-new-api?utm_content=buffercfbb7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Integrated havok? I'm just curious, but like SPS or Sub, what is so special about Havok? Is it just that great of a physics engine?

Dicehunter
29-04-17, 09:48 PM
Integrated havok? I'm just curious, but like SPS or Sub, what is so special about Havok? Is it just that great of a physics engine?

Havok is brill and the performance cost is tiny compared to something using Nvidia's Physx for example.

NeverBackDown
29-04-17, 09:55 PM
Havok is brill and the performance cost is tiny compared to something using Nvidia's Physx for example.

Brill?

Dicehunter
29-04-17, 10:06 PM
Brill?

Brilliant

SPS
01-05-17, 02:44 PM

Havok and PhysX are both very good physics engines. Microsoft own Havok now so that's why it's probably mentioned.

barnsley
01-05-17, 08:23 PM
Fresh stuff, expect this to be verified more as the news comes out. Quite an interesting read. Needless to say, some of us are going to be very busily patching machines over the next few months.

The short version is that every Intel platform with AMT, ISM, and SBT from Nehalem in 2008 to Kaby Lake in 2017 has a remotely exploitable security hole in the ME (Management Engine) not CPU firmware. If this isn’t scary enough news, even if your machine doesn’t have SMT, ISM, or SBT provisioned, it is still vulnerable, just not over the network. For the moment. From what SemiAccurate gathers, there is literally no Intel box made in the last 9+ years that isn’t at risk. This is somewhere between nightmarish and apocalyptic.

Source (http://semiaccurate.com/2017/05/01/remote-security-exploit-2008-intel-platforms/)

Dicehunter
07-05-17, 09:44 AM
New Firestrike Vega benchmark spotted, I really hope this is the lowest end Vega as that graphics score is terrible, I got nearly 31K with a 1080 Ti.

https://www.eteknix.com/amd-vega-10-fire-strike/

https://www.eteknix.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/AMD-Vega-10-3DMark-Firestrike-Entry-1.jpg

AngryGoldfish
07-05-17, 11:10 AM
Yeah, I imagine that's the lowest Vega SKU.

Radioman
08-05-17, 01:18 AM
NO THIS ISN'T A VEGA PRODUCT LAUNCH ANNOUNCEMENT !

But these announcements still will be big. Arguably bigger than Vega.

The meeting will take place at AMD HQ in Sunnyvale on Tuesday May 16th. The announcement themselves will be more of the nature of strategic planning whereby time tables will be divulged for future core components.

These will include Navi the third generation Graphics Architecture that will succeed Vega. It will include information on the 7nm manufacturing technology that will be used for Navi. There will also be major news on Zen+/Zen 2 including details into the timetable for that product to be launch. Reports thus far say 2018

There should be some news tidbits on Naples also.

And speaking of tidbits no meeting would without a couple on Vega just to keep the torture fest going. So how is the pain ?

This meeting is about revealing what plans AMD Management has for the company after 2018.

Vega will have a dedicated Launch Event......but they are not telling yet.

TheF34RChannel
08-05-17, 07:21 PM
MSI teases an X299 motherboard:

http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/MSI-X299-Motherboard-Teaser.jpg

Too much Christmas on everything today (thank f for an off button lol)

AngryGoldfish
08-05-17, 07:25 PM
I'm really quite looking forward to X299 and the new HEDT CPU's. Haswell-E was good. The 5960X was a beast, though ridiculously overpriced and the 5820K was a corker. Broadwell-E was a disappointed release. I think they should have skipped Broadwell-E and gone from Haswell-E to Skylake-E, if possible. They would have been in a better position against Ryzen if they could have done that.

NeverBackDown
08-05-17, 07:28 PM
Holy mother of boards
3 M.2 slots!

TheF34RChannel
08-05-17, 07:29 PM
I'm really quite looking forward to X299 and the new HEDT CPU's. Haswell-E was good. The 5960X was a beast, though ridiculously overpriced and the 5820K was a corker. Broadwell-E was a disappointed release. I think they should have skipped Broadwell-E and gone from Haswell-E to Skylake-E, if possible. They would have been in a better position against Ryzen if they could have done that.

What does a corker mean? Yeah they could've skipped this current generation easily, especially now that X299 has been moved up significantly.

I decided I need an 8C/16T on the HEDT X299 platform, not for today but for tomorrow (though starting off with a 6 core mainstream may be a good idea). I'm looking forward to learning more about everything that Basin Falls will entail :)

I looked in my crystal ball (read: a glass of wine) and foresee an Asus X299 Strix board in my future (that model is somewhat affordable).

Holy mother of boards
3 M.2 slots!

Yeah pretty sweet eh! They kinda have to offer more than the two on current mainstream boards. And there won't be a shortage of lanes on the upcoming PCH :)

AngryGoldfish
08-05-17, 07:35 PM
What does a corker mean? Yeah they could've skipped this current generation easily, especially now that X299 has been moved up significantly.

I decided I need an 8C/16T on the HEDT X299 platform, not for today but for tomorrow (though starting off with a 6 core mainstream may be a good idea). I'm looking forward to learning more about everything that Basin Falls will entail :)

Corker is a slang word for the dog's bollocks or the cat's pyjamas. Which is slang for it was very good. :p

TheF34RChannel
08-05-17, 07:37 PM
Corker is a slang word for the dog's bollocks or the cat's pyjamas. Which is slang for it was very good. :p

Cute!

AngryGoldfish
08-05-17, 07:39 PM
The British are a cute lot.

TheF34RChannel
08-05-17, 07:48 PM
One thing though, I think all 6 and 8 core parts should at least boost to 4.4-4.6GHz out of the box. On another note, I believe Intel includes the 4 core and i5 on X299 to match what AMD did (they won't match it even close price wise undoubtedly).

AngryGoldfish
08-05-17, 07:54 PM
One thing though, I think all 6 and 8 core parts should at least boost to 4.4-4.6GHz out of the box. On another note, I believe Intel includes the 4 core and i5 on X299 to match what AMD did (they won't match it even close price wise undoubtedly).

4.4Ghz out of the box would be very impressive, 4.6Ghz would be ridiculous. I wouldn't be able to afford an Intel X299 setup, but that would be incredibly tasty and could roflstomp Ryzen.

TheF34RChannel
08-05-17, 08:02 PM
4.4Ghz out of the box would be very impressive, 4.6Ghz would be ridiculous. I wouldn't be able to afford an Intel X299 setup, but that would be incredibly tasty and could roflstomp Ryzen.

Basically I'd only need the CPU, board and quad channel RAM, altogether expensive but significantly less than a complete setup.

Anyway, yeah such clocks would be wishful thinking. On the other hand, expecting continued high prices for anything HEDT they need to do better than 'here's a 4GHz boost clock' and with 14nm they just may be able to pull it off - I hope. Dum spiro spero...

AngryGoldfish
08-05-17, 08:30 PM
Basically I'd only need the CPU, board and quad channel RAM, altogether expensive but significantly less than a complete setup.

Anyway, yeah such clocks would be wishful thinking. On the other hand, expecting continued high prices for anything HEDT they need to do better than 'here's a 4GHz boost clock' and with 14nm they just may be able to pull it off - I hope. Dum spiro spero...

I'm doing an almost full overall. The only things I'm keeping are my PSU (though I'm getting new cables), games SSD, and two hard drives. I'd love to ditch my 1TB hard drive where I store all my regularly accessed files (pictures, films, music, etc) and put it on either a 1TB SSD (mostly to save space, lower noise, and reduce chance of failure) and then use my 3TB HDD for backup, but that would be very expensive. I could buy a more expensive graphics card and go for the R7 1700 for that. If I do anything I'll likely ditch the 1TB and use the 3TB as my file storage and buy an external 3TB hard drive for backup. Probably just going to stick with what I've got until 1TB SSD's drop in price. Either way it's going to be expensive build. It'll probably cost the guts of €2200-2500 when you add Windows, shipping, exchange rates, etc. That's a lot of money for me and will likely be bought in stages. I might wait until July or August until I buy Vega and I might use the stock cables until buying custom sleeved ones.

TheF34RChannel
08-05-17, 08:43 PM
Makes sense to do it in stages and it is a lot of money. Why buy Windows? Your current license should be bound to your account rather than the board, unless you have some other reason?

Oh yeah, and I need an M.2 drive, I forgot. I'm just lucky for having gone all out last year. I think we are clotting this thread oops sorry.

Back on topic, so in such a board with 3x M.2 I can see peeps being well happy with 2 in RAID 0 and a 3rd for storage, that'd be pretty sick. I want to see them announce and show everything at what is next month, E3 yeah? I always mix them up.

AngryGoldfish
08-05-17, 08:51 PM
Makes sense to do it in stages and it is a lot of money. Why buy Windows? Your current license should be bound to your account rather than the board, unless you have some other reason?

Oh yeah, and I need an M.2 drive, I forgot. I'm just lucky for having gone all out last year. I think we are clotting this thread oops sorry.

Back on topic, so in such a board with 3x M.2 I can see peeps being well happy with 2 in RAID 0 and a 3rd for storage, that'd be pretty sick. I want to see them announce and show everything at what is next month, E3 yeah? I always mix them up.

I'm still on Windows 7. I didn't upgrade in time to avail of the free offer.

TheF34RChannel
08-05-17, 10:26 PM
I'm still on Windows 7. I didn't upgrade in time to avail of the free offer.

Ah makes sense!

Is it just me who wishes they would use an entirely different naming scheme for the HEDT platform? Older families using the name of newer ones, and soon two families using the same name, it's rather messy for the uninitiated. Or at the least have them use the same moniker for mainstream and enthusiast platforms.

Oh that reminds me, AMD X399, that name ed off Intel i reckon :p has got to be deliberate which would make it both funny and immature. But what is name anyway, I say in complete contradiction to my first paragraph. Here's to hoping that it will be a competitive line as well!

TheF34RChannel
09-05-17, 10:02 PM
SK Hynix showcases first GDDR6 wafer at GTC 2017: 16 Gbps data rate

https://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2017/05/SK-Hynix-GDDR6-6.jpg

Source story: https://videocardz.com/69304/sk-hynix-showcases-first-gddr6-wafer-at-gtc-2017

WYP
09-05-17, 10:19 PM
SK Hynix showcases first GDDR6 wafer at GTC 2017: 16 Gbps data rate

https://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2017/05/SK-Hynix-GDDR6-6.jpg

Source story: https://videocardz.com/69304/sk-hynix-showcases-first-gddr6-wafer-at-gtc-2017

Nice spot, I have only just spotted this on Hardware Luxx, very interesting specifications.

Nice to see an increase in storage density as well as the speed increase.

TheF34RChannel
09-05-17, 10:58 PM
Nice spot, I have only just spotted this on Hardware Luxx, very interesting specifications.

Nice to see an increase in storage density as well as the speed increase.

I know right! I think it's the right move to stick with GDDR rather than go to HBM2. Time will tell.

Dicehunter
10-05-17, 10:37 PM
Found this post on the OCUK forums and spotted it dotted around a few other forums too, Take with a pinch of salt but it would be nice if true :)

Hello, I am here to bring you some important information about Vega. Yes I know many people here have been waiting patiently for some substantial information about Vega from AMD. Well I am happy to say your wait has finally come to an end.

Today I will reveal the full Vega lineup and release date! I will include spoilers so Google does not pick up on important parts.

The RX Vega lineup will come in 3 flavors to cater for different price points. The stated aim is to contend directly against the GTX 10 series.

RX Vega "Core" - RRP: $399.99 (1070 perf or better)
RX Vega "Eclipse" - RRP: $499.99 (1080 perf or better)
RX Vega "Nova" - RRP: $599.99 (1080TI perf or better)

Please note: The RX Vega subnames were still being decided on by the board room at the time so are subject to change but those were the most popular ones amongst the engineers along with "Core" "Eclipse" & "Nova".

And now for the grand finally... DATES!

The Vega teaser is May 16.

The full Vega reveal is May 30 - June 3.

The official release of Vega is June 5"

P.S Do not ask me for my source. If I told you my friend would lose his job. Let's just say it is rather "Sunny" where he works... ;)

P.S.S Let the downvotes begin. I am expect that I will be flamed for revealing this info despite being from a legit source. If you don't believe me feel free to come back to this post in 3 weeks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6aeat3/full_vega_lineup_and_release_date_revealed/

Excalabur50
11-05-17, 12:05 AM
Found this post on the OCUK forums and spotted it dotted around a few other forums too, Take with a pinch of salt but it would be nice if true :)

Nice find Dice, I suspect this might be true somehow

TheF34RChannel
11-05-17, 06:43 AM
On my birthday to you guys:

AMD Ryzen 16 Core “Whitehaven” Enthusiast CPUs Leaked – 3.6GHz Clock Speed, Boatloads of Cache & Quad Channel DDR4 Support

From videocardz.com via WCCFTech (ugh):

"The first CPU of the new enthusiast Ryzen family was spotted several weeks back, today two additional chips have surfaced. Both engineering samples feature 16 cores and 32 threads, a boost clock speed of 3.6GHz and a base clock speed of 3.0GHz. They’ve been designated the 2D3101A8UGAF4_36/31_N & 1D3101A8UGAF3_36/31_N device IDs. This leak comes courtesy of VCZ who spotted the new AMD Ryzen engineering samples."

http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/AMD-Ryzen-12-core.jpg

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-16-12-core-x399-whitehaven-cpus-leaked/

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-engineering-samples-update

Dicehunter
11-05-17, 06:52 AM
Nice find Dice, I suspect this might be true somehow

Hopefully yes :)

On my birthday to you guys:

AMD Ryzen 16 Core “Whitehaven” Enthusiast CPUs Leaked – 3.6GHz Clock Speed, Boatloads of Cache & Quad Channel DDR4 Support

From videocardz.com via WCCFTech (ugh):

"The first CPU of the new enthusiast Ryzen family was spotted several weeks back, today two additional chips have surfaced. Both engineering samples feature 16 cores and 32 threads, a boost clock speed of 3.6GHz and a base clock speed of 3.0GHz. They’ve been designated the 2D3101A8UGAF4_36/31_N & 1D3101A8UGAF3_36/31_N device IDs. This leak comes courtesy of VCZ who spotted the new AMD Ryzen engineering samples."

http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/AMD-Ryzen-12-core.jpg

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-16-12-core-x399-whitehaven-cpus-leaked/

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-engineering-samples-update

Bet that will be quite a bit more than the 1800X.

TheF34RChannel
11-05-17, 06:54 AM
Hopefully yes :)

Bet that will be quite a bit more than the 1800X.

Yep. Kinda puzzled that the 12C has lower clocks than the 16C?

AngryGoldfish
11-05-17, 01:27 PM
Woah, beastly rumours there. Would be sick af if they were true.

AlienALX
11-05-17, 03:30 PM
Yep. Kinda puzzled that the 12C has lower clocks than the 16C?

Maybe because it is going to be cheaper.

At this level it is all about binning and voltages/temps. That will dictate how many cores will run. If they don't run AMD just lazer them off and release as lower model.

It doesn't surprise me that Alienware are in with AMD. They always like to release very high end boards and CPUs. The rig I had came with a minimum 5820k. That was the only model of Area 51 for sale. X99 or nothing, basically.

Got a feeling their next model will be AMD stupid end/ X299.

Mind you, one good thing is that they may even bring out a new HEDT. Which I will of course want and have to wait about three years before I can afford the case :D

TheF34RChannel
11-05-17, 11:05 PM
AMD Enterprise CPU Roadmap 2015-2019

Features 14nm Naples With 32 Cores and 7nm Starship with 48 Cores

http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/AMD-Enterprise-CPU-2015-2019-Roadmap_1-1.jpg

http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/AMD-Naples-Opteron-CPU-Zen-1.jpg

http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/AMD-Naples-Block-Diagram-1-600x333.jpg

https://videocardz.com/69428/amd-snowy-owl-naples-starship-grey-hawk-river-hawk-great-horned-owl

NeverBackDown
12-05-17, 12:33 AM
That's a massive chip....

TheF34RChannel
12-05-17, 07:36 AM
A lot more here:

https://videocardz.com/69428/amd-snowy-owl-naples-starship-grey-hawk-river-hawk-great-horned-owl

Mostly the road maps are new.

WYP
12-05-17, 10:03 AM
A lot more here:

Mostly the road maps are new.

Very interesting roadmaps, lots of info there regarding future APUs and CPUs, especially on 7nm.

Stony Owl will certainly be of interest, though it may not be what some are expecting it to be.

AngryGoldfish
12-05-17, 02:10 PM
Starship and Stony Owl... I love those names.

AlienALX
12-05-17, 02:11 PM
Starship and Stony Owl... I love those names.

Yup pretty cool. Big fan of owls myself :) well, any birds of prey really.

AlienALX
13-05-17, 08:23 PM
https://segmentnext.com/2017/05/12/amd-rx-vega-nova-graphics-card/

TheF34RChannel
13-05-17, 09:58 PM
http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/AMD-Threadripper-Whitehaven-wccftech-watermarked-image-1140x641.jpg

AMD Ryzen 16 Core Threadripper CPUs & Whitehaven Platform To Launch On Monstrous 4094 Pin Socket In June

"AMD’s upcoming enthusiast 16 core Ryzen “Threadripper” CPUs and the next generation high-end “Whitehaven” platform will reportedly launch on a monstrous 4094 pin socket shared with AMD’s 32 core Naples parts. The brand new enthusiast Threadripper Ryzen lineup and Whitehaven platform will debut at Computex at the beginning of next month."

Source: http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-16-core-threadripper-whitehaven-4094-socket/

====
Disclaimer: if I or someone else already posted this I apologise; I have lost track to be honest.
====

That is one big chip!!! As big as my living room :p

Korreborg
15-05-17, 08:19 AM
If the rumors are true, it does not quite make sense to me.
Why 1070-1080 performance a year down the road. And at the same price???

Dicehunter
15-05-17, 09:21 AM
If the rumors are true, it does not quite make sense to me.
Why 1070-1080 performance a year down the road. And at the same price???

More rumors are coming out that the top end single GPU Vega, The "RX-Nova" will cost $599 and be competing against the 1080 Ti.

Bringing a GPU out that costs $599 that is only 1070 power would be suicide.

https://www.eteknix.com/full-amd-vega-series-leaked-core-eclipse-and-nova?utm_content=bufferdebdc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

WYP
15-05-17, 09:48 AM
More rumors are coming out that the top end single GPU Vega, The "RX-Nova" will cost $599 and be competing against the 1080 Ti.

Bringing a GPU out that costs $599 that is only 1070 power would be suicide.

https://www.eteknix.com/full-amd-vega-series-leaked-core-eclipse-and-nova?utm_content=bufferdebdc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

TBH this whole "Vega has GTX 1070 performance" needs to stop, leaked benchmarks are notoriously unreliable and we simply cannot know how full-fat Vega will perform until we all see it for ourselves in the hands of proper reviewers with the latest drivers over a wide range of games.

Recent reports are clocking full Vega at 1500-1600MHz, which is a 50+% improvement over the R9 Fury X, nevermind the other changes under the hood. It has been a long time since the Fury launched, so this is expected, though the question is how will the GTX 1080 Ti fit into all of this.

The rumour here of these prices came from Reddit from a no name user who later had his post deleted the post (either by himself or the subreddits moderator team). It seems like nothing more than guesswork with the statement "I have a friend at AMD" with no further proof. Very unreliable rumour there.

Dicehunter
15-05-17, 10:34 AM
TBH this whole "Vega has GTX 1070 performance" needs to stop, leaked benchmarks are notoriously unreliable and we simply cannot know how full-fat Vega will perform until we all see it for ourselves in the hands of proper reviewers with the latest drivers over a wide range of games.

Recent reports are clocking full Vega at 1500-1600MHz, which is a 50+% improvement over the R9 Fury X, nevermind the other changes under the hood. It has been a long time since the Fury launched, so this is expected, though the question is how will the GTX 1080 Ti fit into all of this.

The rumour here of these prices came from Reddit from a no name user who later had his post deleted the post (either by himself or the subreddits moderator team). It seems like nothing more than guesswork with the statement "I have a friend at AMD" with no further proof. Very unreliable rumour there.

Yep, Also the fact that in the tests you have done for various games the Fury X is on the heels of the 1070 and in some like Warhammer DoW3 it's on the heels of a 1080, Would make little sense to bring out a card that then is dead on 1070 performance.

g0ggles1994
15-05-17, 11:57 AM

Agreed. Plus a lot of these leaks are done using engineering samples anyway.
I do hope they release different models to compete against the 1070 - 1080Ti to give people more choice. I would love to put a Vega card alongside my 1700X but I can't afford one at around £600 right now but for one around £400 is more in my reach

AlienALX
15-05-17, 12:08 PM

The problem is until AMD show their cards that is exactly what to expect. Why? because as of yet (until today with the 16gb rumour) that is what we have seen in all of the leaks so far.

As of now we have absolutely no idea if there are three Vegas, no idea how fast they will be and so on. All we have are a couple of benchmarks pointed to the expected performance we've been shown which is around the 1070.

Maybe it's drivers? maybe there are three SKUs? maybe, maybe, maybe.

So until release (and more importantly review) day people can say what they like.

You can also bet your hat that they will be pants for overclocking and because AMD are on the back foot will be clocked to their limits to try and compete. Not that it's a bad thing of course.

I'm also ignoring the prices that have been "leaked". Mostly because they are too high. If the 1070 card comes in around the same price what's the point? for me any way? I've already got that much performance and I paid that much for it two chuffing years ago !!

AngryGoldfish
15-05-17, 01:21 PM
The problem is until AMD show their cards that is exactly what to expect. Why? because as of yet (until today with the 16gb rumour) that is what we have seen in all of the leaks so far.

As of now we have absolutely no idea if there are three Vegas, no idea how fast they will be and so on. All we have are a couple of benchmarks pointed to the expected performance we've been shown which is around the 1070.

Maybe it's drivers? maybe there are three SKUs? maybe, maybe, maybe.

So until release (and more importantly review) day people can say what they like.

You can also bet your hat that they will be pants for overclocking and because AMD are on the back foot will be clocked to their limits to try and compete. Not that it's a bad thing of course.

I'm also ignoring the prices that have been "leaked". Mostly because they are too high. If the 1070 card comes in around the same price what's the point? for me any way? I've already got that much performance and I paid that much for it two chuffing years ago !!

Except the 1080 beating Doom benchmark we saw five months ago by AMD themselves. Apart from that we no evidence at all. ;)

I really don't understand why you keep insisting we should not be expecting anything more than 1070 performance. It betrays all logic to release a card that only competes there. We are so close to the release now that whatever leaks we see are likely to be at least close to the truth. I have no reason AT ALL to believe there won't be at least two chips to choose from with performance levels varying between 1070 and 1080Ti. I think you're being a doom-bringer (pun intended) just for the sake of it, just to shake the foundation and cool the hype. I see through your shenanigans!

On a different note, AMD's Ryzen 9 chips are looking incredible if they're true. A 10-core 3.7Ghz chip with quad channel 3200Mhz memory would be absolutely amazing. If they can release it at around €650, that would be insane. Gone will be the days of Intel's prohibitively priced HEDT range. We'll finally have something that perfectly marriages enthusiast gaming and productivity. Even Ryzen 5 and 7 are doing that now.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-might-launch-at-least-nine-high-end-ryzen-9-processors.html

AlienALX
15-05-17, 01:25 PM
I don't count Doom. It's one game using a totally different API. Now if more games come along and use Vulkan then cool, but my Fury X already maxes it out no sweat.

So yeah, that's totally cherry picking and kinda lame on AMD's part.

Yup Ryzen 9 will combat the I9. I knew Intel would pull that naming scheme if AMD ever gave them reason to.

It's very funny too really. Usually AMD are like miles behind Nvidia so always get their throat cut. IE - Nvidia will have something stashed ready to beat them on day one. This time around it's AMD holding back their tech waiting on Intel lol. So as soon as Intel release the I9 along with its stupid price AMD release Ryzen 9 as a smack in the cahoonies :D

AngryGoldfish
15-05-17, 01:38 PM
I don't count Doom. It's one game using a totally different API. Now if more games come along and use Vulkan then cool, but my Fury X already maxes it out no sweat.

So yeah, that's totally cherry picking and kinda lame on AMD's part.

Yup Ryzen 9 will combat the I9. I knew Intel would pull that naming scheme if AMD ever gave them reason to.

It's very funny too really. Usually AMD are like miles behind Nvidia so always get their throat cut. IE - Nvidia will have something stashed ready to beat them on day one. This time around it's AMD holding back their tech waiting on Intel lol. So as soon as Intel release the I9 along with its stupid price AMD release Ryzen 9 as a smack in the cahoonies :D

I don't see how you can exclude Doom any more than you can exclude any of the illegitimate leaks we've seen so far. If you discount Doom you should discount an unproven Time Spy leak since it's rarely indicative of final performance. That means we have nothing to go on. If we have nothing, we can speculate based on engineering common sense and basic economics. Even with AMD's meager relative budget, they still have a phenomenal team behind them, just like Nvidia, and time to work hard on bringing a good architecture to life. It's not like Nvidia can just throw money at the wall and what forms at the bottom is a 1080Ti. It makes economic sense to aim to beat their competitor at each segment. If they fall short in power, which is likely in the case of the 1080Ti, all they have to do is reduce the price accordingly and you have a winner. Even the Fury X at $600 would have been a solid purchase against the $650 980Ti, and the Fury X was an awkward card at an awkward time.

I'm tempted to go for the R7 1700 after seeing these new R9 specifications. The 1700 has dropped in price a little and it would be such a nice CPU. It depends on my final budget I guess and how much I can save over the next six months.

AlienALX
15-05-17, 01:42 PM
It's impossible to gauge how good Vega is using Doom. We already know that it runs better on AMD hardware, but we also know that Vega being a newer tech just how much better does it handle Vulkan? and that is why I don't count it. If you are only going to be playing Doom? fine, I guess it would be rather exciting. Hopefully the Quake game coming out with it will also be Vulkan. Again though, does nothing for me.

The 1700 is an amazing chip at an amazing price. And it will continue to be, given that CPUs are absolutely nothing like GPUs. Intel do not double performance every time they release a new tech like Nvidia do.

Even my 8 core Ivy @ 3.1ghz will benefit hugely from all of this. So much so I probably won't have to even touch it.

Korreborg
15-05-17, 01:58 PM
And again. The 1080 beating DOOM bench, were that the top VEGA or bottom VEGA :D

AlienALX
15-05-17, 03:14 PM
Looks like Prey has now been hacked. Won't post sauce or info.

AngryGoldfish
15-05-17, 03:18 PM
Looks like Prey has now been hacked. Won't post sauce or info.

Shame they won't post the sauce. I'd like a little tangy tomato sauce with my chips.

AlienALX
15-05-17, 03:45 PM
Shame they won't post the sauce. I'd like a little tangy tomato sauce with my chips.

I can confirm, this is legit Heinz 57 here...

AngryGoldfish
15-05-17, 03:47 PM
I can confirm, this is legit Heinz 57 here...

Not tangy enough for me. I like the really deeply red tart tomato sauce, almost spicy it's so tart.

TheF34RChannel
15-05-17, 08:50 PM
SK Hynix’s updated memory catalog features HBM2 and GDDR6

GDDR6 up to 14.0 Gbps

https://videocardz.com/69504/sk-hynixs-updated-memory-catalog-features-hbm2-and-gddr6

TheF34RChannel
16-05-17, 04:18 PM
SiSoftware: Basin Falls 6C/12T CPU (Skylake-X ES -- i9-7800X):

Details for Result ID Genuine Intel(R) CPU 0000%@ (6C 12T 3.2GHz, 2GHz IMC, 6x 1MB L2, 8.25MB L3) (http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_run.php?q=c2ffcee889e8d5e3daeadeeadbfd8fb282a 4c1a499a98ffcc1f9&l=en)

NeverBackDown
18-05-17, 05:40 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/392110/Endless_Space_2/

Endless Space 2 launched out of Early Access today a day early. So the full release is out now. For those who already own it(me) the update file you get today is 4.2GB:)

A reminder from the patch notes that is pretty important if you already own the game and got the update
REMINDER: Old saves are no longer compatible with the game! We've removed a lot of old files that were only kept in there to keep the saves working between beta versions. We're now removing all that to start with a clean slate!

We strongly recommend you delete your Registry.xml file. It is normally located in: C:\Users\[yourusername]\Documents\Endless Space 2\Users\

If you want more patch notes, it's on the steam page with a link:)

AngryGoldfish
20-05-17, 04:37 PM
Vega 2.0 could be out next year to better compete with Volta, but on the new 14nm+ process AMD just announced. The rumoured Vega 20 could be using 7nm, but likely still 14nm+ and will not be aimed at the gaming segment. Vega could just get a refresh like Polaris did, but it'll have to offer more than the Polaris refresh. All the same it's good to know AMD aren't banking on their soon-to-be-released Vega silicon to match the year-to-be-released Nvidia Volta silicon.

http://wccftech.com/amd-working-14nm-vega-2-0-compete-nvidias-volta-2018/

Dicehunter
20-05-17, 07:07 PM
EVGA 1080 Ti Kingpin card coming soon -

https://www.eteknix.com/evga-1080-ti-kingpin-confirmed?utm_content=bufferbb856&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

https://eteknix-eteknixltd.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/GTX1080Ti-KINGPIN-800x503.jpg

AngryGoldfish
20-05-17, 07:13 PM
What's the point of a Kingpin card at this point? Unless you're talking LN2 support it really is pointless to splurge for a Kingpin or any of these high-end variants. It'll still only hit 2080Mhz max.

Dicehunter
21-05-17, 12:12 AM
What's the point of a Kingpin card at this point? Unless you're talking LN2 support it really is pointless to splurge for a Kingpin or any of these high-end variants. It'll still only hit 2080Mhz max.

There's always a market for the insanely high priced stuff ^_^