PDA

View Full Version : Quick News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20

Warchild
26-09-20, 09:42 AM
What I found a worry in JZ's video was colorful saying they will send him a different card, does that mean they will remove all the ones like he had? (no). or they will send him a modded 1 and what you buy will not march what he reviews or more lightly they send him a more expensive SKU.
One of those times Asus tax could be value for money tax

Quite possible that all AIB will switch to using at least one quality array from here on. We know stock is empty, so they have minimal recalls/RMA to fulfill.

From the look of it, design wise, its an easy swap so the next flood of cards that hit the market may have this covered.

Greenback
26-09-20, 09:58 AM
Quite possible that all AIB will switch to using at least one quality array from here on. We know stock is empty, so they have minimal recalls/RMA to fulfill.

From the look of it, design wise, its an easy swap so the next flood of cards that hit the market may have this covered.

As jz said they are advertised as 1710 clock so as long as your card can do that you have no grounds to RMA, they could send out a firmware that locks the Boost at 1790 and they've sorted the problem.
I think I'd go with JZ it's cheaper to fix firmware than do a retool, 1 of those cases you really are going to get what you pay for, cheap card low clock boost

tgrech
26-09-20, 10:27 AM
To be fair this change wouldn't need a proper retool, this isn't a change in the PCB design itself, it'll be just a change in the SMD stencil (That makes sure the solder goes on the right bits) and obviously the few parts(You just reprogram the SMD assembly tools for different placement), essentially trivial costs for a new stencil for companies this big, and the BOM cost change isn't going to be more than a £5er for a handful more SMD caps.

I'd assume they'd be on it more or less as soon as the problem has been identified, it looks like many noticed it more or less as soon as they could, when they got access to full drivers, going from how some have responses already.

If they did send Jay a custom unit, it would be fairly easy to tell, hand soldering tiny SMD parts is basically impossible to do neatly, it's very easy to tell apart from a machine job, and if they've got a machine to do it they will have already done the work for retooling.

WYP
26-09-20, 10:27 AM
With so many AIBs supposedly facing issues, it seems more probable that there was a problem with Nvidia's specifications.

Combine that with a reportedly short timeframe for testing, and Nvidia was asking for this.

It looks like the RTX 30 series may have been pushed out the door. It makes sense, new consoles and RDNA 2 are on Nvidia's doorstep.

AlienALX
26-09-20, 10:50 AM
What I found a worry in JZ's video was colorful saying they will send him a different card, does that mean they will remove all the ones like he had? (no). or they will send him a modded 1 and what you buy will not march what he reviews or more lightly they send him a more expensive SKU.
One of those times Asus tax could be value for money tax

I don't buy Asus. Well, very very rarely. However, I also don't buy cheap entry level crap cards. Never have and never will. Same way I have never ran a cheap PSU and thus have never had one blow up.

The reality is going to be that the £649 card was a pipe dream. Which I also said many times before they actually launched. The revised ones with more on them are going to cost more.

I don't even blame the poor sods trying to earn a living out of this either. Had Nvidia not set them an impossible task this wouldn't have happened.

Dicehunter
26-09-20, 11:02 AM
I don't buy Asus. Well, very very rarely. However, I also don't buy cheap entry level crap cards. Never have and never will. Same way I have never ran a cheap PSU and thus have never had one blow up.

The reality is going to be that the £649 card was a pipe dream. Which I also said many times before they actually launched. The revised ones with more on them are going to cost more.

I don't even blame the poor sods trying to earn a living out of this either. Had Nvidia not set them an impossible task this wouldn't have happened.

Not really, Nvidia will get more stock in and continue to have the 3080 at £649 on their own store, The issue is the AIB's cutting corners to increase their profit margins, Aftermarket cards being £699 is not an issue as long as they can perform, Have better cooling, Power delivery/filtering etc...

AlienALX
26-09-20, 11:15 AM
Not really, Nvidia will get more stock in and continue to have the 3080 at £649 on their own store, The issue is the AIB's cutting corners to increase their profit margins, Aftermarket cards being £699 is not an issue as long as they can perform, Have better cooling, Power delivery/filtering etc...

Nvidia? lol. They never intended it to be a £649 card. That was done purely because they know what is coming this year. Those Founders cards? there is no way they are making their 60% on those dude. Never, not in a million years. Let's wait and see how long it is before any old user can go and buy one at his leisure.

The AIBs are cutting corners because Nvidia sold a promise they could not meet. Every single one of them will be thinking "s**t, we need to try and make a card at that £650 so we can sell". Remember, it's an incredibly competitive market and only the big fish can charge lots (like Asus and EVGA) and get away with it. The smaller fry? like Colorful etc? have to make a profit.

I don't blame them. At all. They are only trying to survive (if you saw the figures like I have from my pal in Taiwan you would understand). I blame the poor node. The ridiculous power use and ETC.

Fact is this core needs tantalum caps. And they are expensive. Analogue caps are not going to cut it. The funny part is analogue caps worked perfectly well on Turing. Funny that isn't it?

Here's another chance for me to be wrong. Get your humble pie ready, as my neck is going out on the chopping block AGAIN.

The 3070 has been made solely based on the spec of the upcoming consoles. The raw TFLOPS of the XBSX that we know of are about the same as a 2080 Super. The console is set to cost $500 or £450 depending on where you live. How much is the 3070 "set to cost" again? you guessed it, about the same.

Firstly, you try getting one for that price and secondly, see if it performs about the same as a 2080 Super like the consoles are touted to.

In reality if you want a 3070 that works you are looking at £500+ and for a good one £600.

If I walked into a shop having seen a TV online for £400 and all of a sudden the sales rep told me the TV was £500.... What would you do? you would cuss him out and walk away in disgust right?

So, pray tell, why is it that Nvidia can pull this s**t day and night and people fall for it hook line and sinker?

If I ordered my shopping from Waitrose and they billed me 30% more on the day it arrives I would go ballistic. Yet Nvidia do this stuff 24/7 and people just bend over and take it.

I don't know what upsets me more. Their behaviour, or, seeing people I have a modicum of respect for falling for their BS.

Warchild
26-09-20, 11:32 AM

As I mentioned, so far the AIB are not pricing out of control in Norway. Taking into account the poor performance of the Kroner, its realistically in the realms of the MRRP. But lets see what supply and demand does.

I see people selling their 3080 on finn.no (craigs list equiv) for about £400 more :S and they are posting names etc to prove they have them in possession.

Greenback
26-09-20, 11:58 AM
`It will be interesting to see where people stand who bought off Ebay if they do a recall, though I'm still betting on a firmware boost limit even on new cards

AlienALX
26-09-20, 12:02 PM
OK so I just watched the video.

Basically then they are skimping on power delivery. That's about the upshot of it.

However, they did that on Turing and it came at no real cost. I mean sure, my single 8 pin 2070 was locked at 1950mhz in the OC software, but that was because of the single 8 pin and so on. However, it didn't crash.

A few years ago a mate of mine who lives in Taiwan and worked at the time as a journo back to the UK sent me some profit and loss reports. MSI and Gigabyte were in big trouble at the time, and he predicted that a good few of them would go under. Mostly because they were making so little on Intel boards and stuff like that and the competition so stiff that they really had to work to margins that were so tight it just wasn't feasible for them to stay in business.

A lot of this was down to brand power. You know? that Asus tax that Asus can charge and get away with because of the reputation they have built, yet companies like MSI don't have that reputation and thus have to make cheaper boards. Cheaper in every way.

EVGA are another company that can enjoy this relative safety. Again because they have built a reputation but mainly just down to simple brand loyalty because they are American and Americans like buying stuff designed by Americans. EVGA is pretty tiny in the UK by comparison.

Smaller companies? yeah they are going to struggle quite badly.

`It will be interesting to see where people stand who bought off Ebay if they do a recall, though I'm still betting on a firmware boost limit even on new cards

Now that it seems to be more acceptable to be a little bit negative about Ampere (mainly thanks to Steve @ GN and a couple of others) I will once again talk about it.

Cheaper cards are going to have to be limited yes. You can't double the cost of the components and still sell the cards for the same prices. It just doesn't work like that. My Dual OC was cheap, and it was cheap for a reason. It had one 8 pin, and was limited to a hard 1950mhz in OC tools by the firmware. Bypassing it would have been a bad idea, as it would have likely cooked itself.

https://i.imgur.com/kFk47nQ.jpg?1

But that was OK because I knew that before I bought it. I could see the single 8 pin. I also knew that it may have analogue caps, but again that was fine. Turned out it did.

So the reality is? any of the cheaper 3080 cards will not be able to boost at their own leisure, and you will see lower clocks, and you will see much less raw performance out of those cards. Meaning every review you watched so far? means jack.

If you want that extra performance? prepare to pay extra for it. That is nothing new. However, understanding that before you blindly order a card is incredibly important.

Ampere as a design? fantastic. Ampere as a technology? brilliant. Ampere in reality because of Samsung?

I won't need to repeat what I have been saying for ages.

BTW I would just like to reiterate that I was no more negative about Turing than any other guy. I actually defended the pricing, because I knew it was expensive and knew it would be long before launch (IE putting loads back onto the die would come at a cost).

And, as much as I don't like Nvidia I still run three Turing cards. Which speaks for itself. So don't tell me I am being overly negative because I don't like Nvidia. I am being overly negative because Ampere is overly negative on Samsung. It's as simple as that and if you don't understand that? try doing some learning and reading before you get so mad at me.

Greenback
26-09-20, 12:27 PM
Meaning every review you watched so far? means jack.

If you want that extra performance? prepare to pay extra for it. That is nothing new. However, understanding that before you blindly order a card is incredibly important.

Ampere as a design? fantastic. Ampere as a technology? brilliant. Ampere in reality because of Samsung?

I won't need to repeat what I have been saying for ages.

BTW I would just like to reiterate that I was no more negative about Turing than any other guy. I actually defended the pricing, because I knew it was expensive and knew it would be long before launch (IE putting loads back onto the die would come at a cost).

And, as much as I don't like Nvidia I still run three Turing cards. Which speaks for itself. So don't tell me I am being overly negative because I don't like Nvidia. I am being overly negative because Ampere is overly negative on Samsung. It's as simple as that and if you don't understand that? try doing some learning and reading before you get so mad at me.

Interestingly Tom put bad OC down to early drivers now maybe it wasn't because of that only.

Possibly a tinfoil hat situation, they knew and didn't want reviewers pushing till crash

AlienALX
26-09-20, 12:38 PM
Interestingly Tom put bad OC down to early drivers now maybe it wasn't because of that only.

Possibly a tinfoil hat situation, they knew and didn't want reviewers pushing till crash

It's pretty much a given that when you do a successful shrink you gain lower power consumption which usually leads to the ability to gain perf per watt. Like I say, that is a given and it is why every one shrinks. EDIT IN. Note I said a successful shrink. Not a Broadwell failure shrink.

Intel have not been able to achieve this. I mean, they have shrunk (it's a proven fact) but every time they do it's a failure.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-i5-5675c-s-1150-broadwell-quad-core-31ghz-36ghz-turbo-64-gt-s-dmi-1100mhz-gpu-31x-ratio-6

There was their last attempt at a proper and true shrink. That chip barely reached 4ghz. Now when you consider that Devil's Canyon on Haswell reached 4.9 and 5 if you were lucky and or delidded? that is a failure of epic proportions.

In reality 8nm Samsung is very much like 10nm TSMC. IE, it has the same transistor density and so on. However, unlike TSMC there has been no clock gain *at all*.

In fact I could sit here and argue and say that there has actually been a huge clock drop. What I mean is what I would like to see next is a 3080 limited to exactly the same TDP as a 2080Ti (and not given 60w extra or whatever it is) and then see how it performs.

Quite probably relatively awful.

And see this is the stuff I have been saying before the cards even launched. Quite literally because it was true, and remains so.

LN2 and unlocked voltages tell the story here. Ampere simply does not clock as high as Turing. And that is because of a poor node.

That doesn't mean all Ampere cards are going to be terrible and failures etc. A well made card is still faster than a 2080Ti and costs less which is good, but a realistically priced one will come with severe caveats.

Caveats that people should have known about.

If Ampere had this year all to itself? fine. Only it doesn't. It has three big competitors.

So not only do we have a poor node we have a rushed release, loads of hype and basically utter crap and everything else. And people think I am just being negative? I can only be negative when there is negativity to draw upon.

AlienALX
26-09-20, 01:56 PM
BTW I will add this. My buddy got one of the crap phases Gigabyte cards and he has no issues with it at all.

I am beginning to wonder if it's not so much the phases but just terrible quality low bin dies from Samsung to blame.

He's been clocking balls on it all day (to make sure he didn't get burned) and it's been fine. It's one of the ones Jay took apart with the cheaper phases too.

Kleptobot
26-09-20, 02:15 PM
Not quite sure what you mean by an 'analogue' capacitor? A capacitor is inherently analogue. Also if these cards are running so close to the limit that the bypass filter is causing issues then there are probably deeper problems.

AlienALX
26-09-20, 02:19 PM
Not quite sure what you mean by an 'analogue' capacitor? A capacitor is inherently analogue. Also if these cards are running so close to the limit that the bypass filter is causing issues then there are probably deeper problems.

I mean analogue by round stand up. I'm old fashioned :D

And yeah, I don't think this has anything to do with poor power delivery at all. Like I said I have seen plenty of Turing cards with savagely cheaper power delivery systems on and they got along fine.

The fact my mate's one clocks tits says it all to me. These are just poor dies. Which was totally expected as we knew Nvidia would keep the good ones and pass the rest on to OEMs. So you either buy a FE to make sure it can hold its boost clocks or you play the lottery on a AIB card.

AlienALX
26-09-20, 03:12 PM
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/evga-nvidia-rtx-3080-capacitor-caused-crashes

That's really ironic ! people were saying it was the cheap caps causing the issues when actually it is the more expensive more reliable ones.

tgrech
26-09-20, 03:29 PM
Bad power filtering won't be much of an issue if you have very little ripple in the PSU, maybe that explains your mates scenario, and while MLCC caps are cheaper per unit, you need a lot more of them, and you need more expensive ones if you want ones more stable in temperature. I wouldn't say tantalum caps are really the more reliable option for this use case, their ESR is terrible, while modern automative grade X8 class MLCC caps are practically as stable temp wise for cases like this. I don't think there's any doubt using tantalum caps here is to cut down component count, therefore reducing assembly cost and possible points of failure.

But, the goal of these designers is to create something that works properly for the lowest cost possible, and without them having a way to check what the end behaviour was like they would have had to guess where the limits were, and they very slightly missed.

AlienALX
26-09-20, 03:38 PM
The FE has all MLCC caps on. Other companies actually tried putting better ones on, and that is why they are crashing.

And yeah, maybe that is a part of the reason but I bet this problem did not exist on Turing.

The more the days pass the more it just smells like Vega. Clocked to balls on launch to make up for the fact it is pretty poor. Like I said, I would like to see a 3080 running at the same power pegging as a 2080Ti and see how it performs.

It seems all Nvidia got out of this shrink was just cramming more onto a smaller die. No other improvements seem to be there at all. The clocks are around the same as the 2080Ti (about 2ghz) and the power consumption is crazy. If they are sensitive to power filtering then that's just another issue to add.

Oh well. I guess people can simply under clock their cards and wait for Hopper.

tgrech
26-09-20, 03:49 PM
Not at all convinced the tantalum caps were meant as an upgrade. Their properties are objectively worse for this use case, MLCC significantly outperforms tantalum caps for high frequency filtering, and they're in a different league when it comes to lowest ESR and impedance values, we're decades past the age of MLCC usually being the cheap and dirty option.

AlienALX
26-09-20, 03:56 PM
Not at all convinced the tantalum caps were meant as an upgrade. Their properties are objectively worse for this use case, MLCC significantly outperforms tantalum caps for high frequency filtering, and they're in a different league when it comes to lowest ESR and impedance values, we're decades past the age of MLCC usually being the cheap and dirty option.

Yup leading me to think that they may have used a mixture based on what they had to hand.

In fairness to Nvidia here if they sent them a design and they buggered with it then that's their lookout and will be their RMAs.

BTW I also agree with Jay for once. If the card does the boost clocks it states on the box? you are screwed. You can either return the card or just wait for a gimped firmware, but your RMA could be rejected. I know with DSR here in the UK many will abuse that and BIN cards themselves but I can't see them pulling that in the USA where they have restocking fees still.

WYP
26-09-20, 04:14 PM

I can tell you that at least one AIB told Tom that any instability was down to drivers.

TBH, it will take a while for the full truth of this situation to come to light.

AlienALX
26-09-20, 04:19 PM
I can tell you that at least one AIB told Tom that any instability was down to drivers.

TBH, it will take a while for the full truth of this situation to come to light.

I don't think there is much more info needed. The cards do what the box states perfectly. People are installing tools to overclock the cards and then whining because they crash.

People can blame power filtering and etc all they like, but tbh if it were me I would not allow a return. Even though Jay was totally putting the blame in the wrong place he was correct. If your card can boost to 1700 odd or whatever the box states then you have your card.

So in this instance? I will defend Nvidia totally. Bottom line is that "under clocking" the card fixes the issue and thus so long as the card meets its stated requirements then there is nothing you can do about it.

I say this as a "unlucky lotto user". IE, I have had some real turds in the past. I bought a brand new 670 Palit Jetstream and it would not even do 50mhz over the stated clocks. I didn't get mad, I just removed the overclock.

But many will abuse this situation and send cards back for a "Free bin" which IMO is total bull. IE they will abuse DSR in the UK to get a decent card.

Once again it comes down to expectations. People expect too much.

If you bought a 3080 for overclocking in the first place you were an idiot.

BTW if those who bought a 3080 and it won't hold 1900+mhz feel hard done by they would have been welcome to try the pile of crap Vega 64 I had. It wouldn't even do stock boost without pink screening.

Greenback
26-09-20, 04:30 PM

If it seemed I was criticizing Tom than I apologize, it wasn't meant that way, he can only go with what he's given and what he's told is the issue.

My only point was that it may not have been a drive only issue

AlienALX
26-09-20, 04:38 PM
If it seemed I was criticizing Tom than I apologize, it wasn't meant that way, he can only go with what he's given and what he's told is the issue.

I don't blame Tom one bit either. I totally believe what he was told.

It is what it is. People expecting huge overclocks are asking for too much. That's always been my standpoint. If I want a good product I don't mind paying for one (see also 2150 pretty much guaranteed Kingpin card). Mostly because I CBA buying cards, sending them back like a d1ck for no reason and then buying more to find the best clocker.

Overclocking was never EVER guaranteed. Ever. People are just getting totally unrealistic now.

I did raise a decent point earlier about my 2070. I knew it would be limited in clocks and I was not surprised. I didn't start whining or send it back though.

AlienALX
26-09-20, 05:51 PM
OK so having spent the past few hours reading into this and checking out posts here is what I found.

Somehow for some reason cards are boosting much higher than they should, and are crashing. There have been quite a few threads on OCUK about it now. One guy has a Ventus, and apparently it was clocking itself to 2050 and crashing. It should not be doing that with nothing installed.

TBH that is a very high clock for Ampere, and thus the card is not working as it should. It should, by rights, be clocking to around 1700 boost without being forced but it is not. In the same thread the fix was simple. He simply stopped it boosting by 50mhz (so 2ghz) and the card was perfectly stable and benched even higher than it should have. IE, it was likely over boosting and running into power issues too and thus down clocking under those circs.

This is a BIOS issue no doubt. I would imagine they used the FE bios on their cards, and for some reason it is acting oddly.

WYP
26-09-20, 05:59 PM

I wasn't reading your posts as something against Tom. I'm just pointing out that AIBs are just as confused as consumers are in a lot of cases.

Nobody would knowing release faulty products if they could avoid it.

AlienALX
26-09-20, 06:04 PM
I wasn't reading your posts as something against Tom. I'm just pointing out that AIBs are just as confused as consumers are in a lot of cases.

Nobody would knowing release faulty products if they could avoid it.

I don't think anything is faulty fella, apart from maybe the firmware on the cards.

See at first I thought these cards were being overclocked but it seems they are doing this without any power limit or thermal limit raised. IE, they are overclocking themselves into instability.

Once people reduce the clocks? the problem goes away.

Now I am a little suspicious about this I will admit. Was this deliberate by Nvidia to make the 3080 look as good as possible?

OK look before I upset any one let me explain that. Remember those boards that were enabling PBO etc by default? (Asus? IIRC?) and thus were putting out higher numbers than other boards making them look better?

I hope that is not what Nvidia have done to make the 3080 faster than it is capable of being. IE they advertise a 1710 boost clock, every one runs them "stock" but really they are boosting over 200mhz over that amount. So the reviews go out, then you derp the cards by 200mhz.

I really hope that isn't what is going on and this is a genuine error. It's not about capacitors or anything though I am convinced of that, because a Ventus should not be hitting 2050mhz "stock" and crashing.

Damien c
27-09-20, 06:34 AM
Power issue or driver/firmware issue, it's not bothering me personally because I skipping these card's unless I have a failure in another pc, either of my machines, my dad's machine, my grandads machine or my plex server.

For those people who have them, I think eventually it will be resolved but how I am not sure.

This really does remind me of the launch of the 2000 series card's.

Dicehunter
27-09-20, 10:33 AM
EVGA have confirmed power caps are the cause of the issues people are facing with the 3000 series.

https://www.pcgamer.com/evga-confirms-nvidia-rtx-3080-card-capacitors-caused-crashes/?utm_content=buffer3e3d9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

Kei
27-09-20, 11:35 AM
The only thing that really ever stood out as being beneficial about tantalum capacitors was their capacitance vs their size and their durability when compared with traditional electrolytics. Their ESR isn't all that bad but is never going to compare favourably to an array of capacitors in parallel. The Capacitance adds and the ESR divides (1/R technically) = win/win. 1x tantalum @ 0.125R vs 10x MLCC @ 0.005R= 0.0005R, quite the difference though difficult to say how that plays its part in all of this.

Based on the values shown, it's a bit baffling that some cards have tantalums with values of 220uF, some have 330uF and others have 470uF and some have a mix of values.

Cost wise, say the 470uF tantalum costs about £0.95 per unit for a full reel of 1000 (https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Vishay-Sprague/TR3D477K6R3C0125?qs=6s0wpbJ6UrkJIOQKvVu48g%3D%3D) and you are using 6 per card. Going all out using MLCC parts that cost £0.20 per unit for 4000 (https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Taiyo-Yuden/JMK107BBJ476MA-RE?qs=xZ%2FP%252Ba9zWqZ28YCDMCnfRg%3D%3D) and use 60 per card.

MLCC @ 60x0.2 = £12 per card
Tantalum @ 6x0.95 = £5.70 per card

Obviously a manufacturer will be dealing in vastly larger numbers and possibly directly with makers of the parts which will further reduce those costs. There is also the pick and place time factor as 60 parts vs 6 will take longer, again, costing more money.

AlienALX
28-09-20, 03:20 PM
https://i.imgur.com/nwkqGHl.png

3080 is fixed in the new driver apparently. Clocks reduced and power increased by 10w.

looz
28-09-20, 03:26 PM
Those scores are pretty much within margin of error for that test, I wouldn't draw conclusions on that. But I wouldn't be surprised if they just enforced the ~-50MHz clock speed on a driver level, since so many reported that underclocking fixed the issue.

AlienALX
28-09-20, 03:37 PM
I wasn't looking at the scores I was more interested in the clock drop and higher power consumption.

I still don't understand exactly why a card with 1710mhz on the box is boosting 250mhz higher though. Unless someone somewhere was trying to inflate early review scores?

Either way the fix is what I expected. If these cards are going to boost they are going to have 5600XT issues IE not all of them will do the full boost.

I'm kinda on the fence about this whole automatic overclocking thing any way. I see the good points from both sides, mainly those who haven't got a clue what they are doing are leaving performance on the table and those who complain they would rather do it themselves. I think both sides have valid points on that.

However, it's not a good idea to launch a card that you then have to derp afterward by even 1% to make it work properly. They should boost to 1710 in that case, all be stable, look a little worse in benchmarks and just be released for what they are. Now they are altering the TGP of the card to make it stable at a clock it apparently shouldn't really be at.

It all reminds me of Vega. A lot. Where people had to manually undervolt their cards to stop them cooking themselves. I was an opponent of that too, and agreed with sentiment that the card should have been released for what it was (IE a slower card that didn't behave terribly) and then let people overclock it and etc.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-rtx-30-fine-wine-investigating-the-curious-case-of-missing-gaming-performance/

A very interesting article, which could explain why Ampere seems so poor for what it is. It may also explain the terrible lack of performance scaling between the 3080 and 3090.

Hopefully it will improve.

looz
28-09-20, 03:47 PM
I'm mainly looking at the score since it's the most controlled metric, as the methodology is dictated by Futuremark. Who knows what kind of errors the other measurements have.

The clock values fluctuate wildly with case temperature, and wattage is also affected by environmental factors. Not to say that score isn't, but less so than the others. I wouldn't read too much into those results before someone does more robust testing. It's entirely possible that they just raised voltage and dropped clocks, but it also seems that people are picking tweets they want to read and then propagate that information.

AlienALX
28-09-20, 03:52 PM
As I said I don't care about the results of the performance metrics. I really don't. And that is being fair. Like when the whole power gate thing happened I was soon pretty convinced there was more to it than "bad" phases as Jay said.

It's simply that the cores are at the limit and thus some of them would crash when being stuffed to nearly 2ghz when the box says 1700 odd mhz.

And they are still boosting to 1900 odd even after the fix. So yeah, like with most of this launch I am more interested in the actual tech and science rather than gaming results.

I would have thought the fix should be to make the card more honest, not shove more voltage into it. Because unless they increase the TGP by declaration and on the boxes they are going to get unstuck like they did with the 3.5gb gate.

Damien c
28-09-20, 04:08 PM
I wasn't looking at the scores I was more interested in the clock drop and higher power consumption.

I still don't understand exactly why a card with 1710mhz on the box is boosting 250mhz higher though. Unless someone somewhere was trying to inflate early review scores?

Either way the fix is what I expected. If these cards are going to boost they are going to have 5600XT issues IE not all of them will do the full boost.

I'm kinda on the fence about this whole automatic overclocking thing any way. I see the good points from both sides, mainly those who haven't got a clue what they are doing are leaving performance on the table and those who complain they would rather do it themselves. I think both sides have valid points on that.

However, it's not a good idea to launch a card that you then have to derp afterward by even 1% to make it work properly. They should boost to 1710 in that case, all be stable, look a little worse in benchmarks and just be released for what they are. Now they are altering the TGP of the card to make it stable at a clock it apparently shouldn't really be at.

It all reminds me of Vega. A lot. Where people had to manually undervolt their cards to stop them cooking themselves. I was an opponent of that too, and agreed with sentiment that the card should have been released for what it was (IE a slower card that didn't behave terribly) and then let people overclock it and etc.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-rtx-30-fine-wine-investigating-the-curious-case-of-missing-gaming-performance/

A very interesting article, which could explain why Ampere seems so poor for what it is. It may also explain the terrible lack of performance scaling between the 3080 and 3090.

Hopefully it will improve.

They are boosting above 1710Mhz because of GPU Boost, all card's do it from the 900 series to the 3000 series.

The 2080Ti you have will do exactly the same thing, if there is spare power and temp headroom then it will boost.

It's got nothing to do with reviews, it's all about the card boosting to what it's capable of, otherwise it would just be manual clocks and those would reach around the same mark anyway.

AlienALX
28-09-20, 04:17 PM
They are boosting above 1710Mhz because of GPU Boost, all card's do it from the 900 series to the 3000 series.

The 2080Ti you have will do exactly the same thing, if there is spare power and temp headroom then it will boost.

It's got nothing to do with reviews, it's all about the card boosting to what it's capable of, otherwise it would just be manual clocks and those would reach around the same mark anyway.

No my 2080Ti doesn't do the same thing. Not unless I install something like EVGA Precision, run a boost scan, get it to apply the overclock and then tell it to start with Windows. Without that? it boosts to factory boost clocks of 1770mhz.

Well, the last time I did a clean install it was like that any way. It seems that has been added to the drivers at some point.

It didn't happen on my Titan XP either. I just let that thing loose on the air cooler and it would boost short term to 1960 odd then back down to 1700 odd when the card got too hot and the fans reached 80%. That was why I started water cooling my GPUs.

I think you would find it would have a lot to do with reviews. If it only hit 1710mhz with no overclocking or anything to inflate the clock speed it would have been much slower. Maybe 20% tops over the 2080Ti. Instead it is up to 35% and now we know why.

Edit. To clarify that. If the "guaranteed or RMA" boost clock is 1710 then that is what the cards should be reviewed at in case you get a dog like I have in the past. A review should be based on what every single card is capable of, not a cherry picked few.

The fact Jay got one of these cards and they told him not to review it and wait for a replacement? yeah that's pretty shoddy. "No just wait for us to send you one that can boost".

NeverBackDown
28-09-20, 05:20 PM
This is quick news. Just start a thread about it. This isn't the place for lengthy discussion guys. Makes it harder to sift through posts to find something interesting.

Dicehunter
28-09-20, 11:33 PM
Sony is working with a company called Oodle to optimise/boost their bandwidth on the PS5, Up to 17GB/s, Looks pretty insane.

https://wccftech.com/ps5-io-system-to-be-supercharged-by-oodle-texture-bandwidth-goes-up-to-17-38gb-s/

Dicehunter
29-09-20, 09:22 PM
Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.9.2

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

Support For

STAR WARS™: Squadrons :rock:

Added Vulkan™ Support

VK_KHR_buffer_device_address

This extension is used to query the device address of a buffer to allow for shader access to that buffer’s storage via the SPV_KHR_physical_storage_buffer SPIRV extension.

VK_EXT_robustness2

This extension provides stricter restrictions for handling reads and writes that are out of bounds. It specifies that out-of-bounds reads must return zeros and out-of-bounds writes must be discarded. This extension also adds support for null descriptors.

VK_EXT_shader_image_atomic_int64

This extension extends existing 64-bit integer atomic support to images, which provides more efficient access than buffers. This allows applications to quickly improve their performance with minor changes to their code.

Fixed Issues

Some games may exhibit stutter intermittently during gameplay on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
Radeon FreeSync may fail to enable after updating Radeon Software without a system reboot.
Screen flickering may be observed while MSI Afterburner™ is running or enabled on the system.
X-Plane 11™ may experience an application hang or crash when using the Vulkan® API.
DOOM™ VFR may experience corruption or artifacting in game on Radeon RX 5000 series system configurations.
Performance metrics overlay may fail to open or appear after the system wakes from sleep.
Call of Duty®: WWII may experience black textures on the ground or walls in zombies game mode.
Blocky corruption may be observed in Detroit: Become Human™ on some Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
Using the Movies&TV application to edit video clips may result in green corruption in the clips.
Performance metrics may report incorrect values for current VRAM usage after an extended period of gameplay.
With HDR enabled, Windows® desktop may experience flickering, and performing a task switch while in a game may cause colors to become washed out or over saturated.
World of Warcraft™ may experience corruption issues with anti-aliasing enabled on DirectX®12 API.
Launching Radeon Software after a driver upgrade, may cause the Auto OC dialogue to appear with “0 Mhz” when the Auto OC feature has been previously enabled on Radeon RX Vega series graphics products.

Known Issues

Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
Performance Metrics Overlay and the Performance Tuning tab incorrectly report higher than expected idle clock speeds on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products. Performance and power consumption are not impacted by this incorrect reporting.
Audio may experience instability when connected through an Audio Video Receiver via HDMI® on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
Modifying the HDMI Scaling slider may cause FPS to become locked to 30.

The fact that the known issues section is getting smaller and smaller each release is great, I hope this is a good sign of the drivers for the 6000 series.

Dicehunter
30-09-20, 06:31 PM
Very cool ray tracing benchmark only released a few days ago on Steam for free, Bright Memory Infinite, No support yet for non Nvidia cards but that may change with AMD's 6000 series.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1409670/Bright_Memory_Infinite_Ray_Tracing_Benchmark/

Warchild
30-09-20, 07:39 PM
Very cool ray tracing benchmark only released a few days ago on Steam for free, Bright Memory Infinite, No support yet for non Nvidia cards but that may change with AMD's 6000 series.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1409670/Bright_Memory_Infinite_Ray_Tracing_Benchmark/

Its going to be available for all cards. This is being developed by ONE single person. Insane how good it is. Bright memory became Bright memory infinite when it became successful. The dude quit his job to do this full time :)

AlienALX
05-10-20, 08:31 PM
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-expects-geforce-rtx-3090-and-rtx-3080-shortages-to-last-until-2021

Warchild
05-10-20, 09:00 PM
based on the leaked 3070 image which showed a massive 172 successfully passed 3070 binned chips.. I dont doubt that shortage for 2021.

I know it was only one line, but a line thats supposed to put out 1000 a day, and only achieved 172. Yields must be bad. Maybe the article took it out of context to exaggerate but who knows given the prev launches

Dicehunter
05-10-20, 09:16 PM
based on the leaked 3070 image which showed a massive 172 successfully passed 3070 binned chips.. I dont doubt that shortage for 2021.

I know it was only one line, but a line thats supposed to put out 1000 a day, and only achieved 172. Yields must be bad. Maybe the article took it out of context to exaggerate but who knows given the prev launches

If the 3000 series follows the lifespan of the 2000 series then there is zero rush to get one, People are best off waiting until Spring when supply lines improve.

looz
06-10-20, 09:27 PM
Well, borderline newsworthy, but Proshop, which is a decently large supplier in Scandinavia, published RTX 3000 series statistics.

Fields are:
ID, Manufacturer, Model, Customer orders, Ordered from manufacturer, Underway, Shipped to customers

https://www.proshop.dk/RTX-30series-overview

Scan also did the same, but with less detail, not sure if posted here:
https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/nvidia/rtx-30-series-faqs

looz
07-10-20, 05:42 AM
Unconfirmed as of now, but hilarious if true. MSI has apparently been skipping the middle man and has been selling their GPUs on ebay at scalper prices: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/j6idky/msi_scalping_their_own_3080s_on_ebay_links/

Warchild
07-10-20, 07:17 AM
Unconfirmed as of now, but hilarious if true. MSI has apparently been skipping the middle man and has been selling their GPUs on ebay at scalper prices: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/j6idky/msi_scalping_their_own_3080s_on_ebay_links/

Pretty sure thats illegal if true.

looz
07-10-20, 07:29 AM
MSI made a statement; https://twitter.com/msiUSA/status/1313734160582803456

Warchild
07-10-20, 07:31 AM
MSI made a statement; https://twitter.com/msiUSA/status/1313734160582803456

MSI need to be investigated themselves. That was such a "We got caught" response. What kind of subsidiary under a major corporation does dealings on Ebay of all places...

looz
07-10-20, 07:32 AM
MSI need to be investigated themselves. That was such a "We got caught" response.Yep, but maybe they'll approach the investigators with "we'd prefer you didn't release these results to the public, we'll pay for your effort." :D

Warchild
07-10-20, 07:35 AM
Yep, but maybe they'll approach the investigators with "we'd prefer you didn't release these results to the public, we'll pay for your effort." :D

Ok, usually I barely chuckle at most humor in posts. But that one made me laugh outright.

demonking
07-10-20, 07:43 AM
Don't expect to hear much on this. Msi has pretty much brought out all the reviewers and tech sites it deals with, including this one.
What will actually happen with this though if true (msi have already confirmed that it's their own subsidiary), nothing. Nvidia won't do anything as they're one of the top spending customers, no watchdog or bodies with authority will do anything to msi, perhaps the company in question but this is like trying to take out hackers in a f2p game, ban em and a new account is up doing the same thing 5 mins later. The media won't give them trial by fire as so many deal with msi and there shady "review" practices. Gn will hit this hard but not many other will so this will just get swept under the rug and forgotten.

Warchild
07-10-20, 08:15 AM
Rocket lake and Z590 boards coming March 2021

https://www.hd-tecnologia.com/exclusiva-intel-lanzara-rocket-lake-s-y-z590-h570-b560-y-h510-a-finales-de-marzo/

but looks like Prosumer boards and chips are dead since the X299 will carry on forward even with next gen.

Everything looks to remain on 14nm O.o

AlienALX
07-10-20, 09:18 AM
Master Scalpers Incorporated

WYP
07-10-20, 09:43 AM
Don't expect to hear much on this. Msi has pretty much brought out all the reviewers and tech sites it deals with, including this one.
What will actually happen with this though if true (msi have already confirmed that it's their own subsidiary), nothing. Nvidia won't do anything as they're one of the top spending customers, no watchdog or bodies with authority will do anything to msi, perhaps the company in question but this is like trying to take out hackers in a f2p game, ban em and a new account is up doing the same thing 5 mins later. The media won't give them trial by fire as so many deal with msi and there shady "review" practices. Gn will hit this hard but not many other will so this will just get swept under the rug and forgotten.

I take offence to the assertation that this site is "bought out" by MSI. We do not get paid by companies for reviews and neither do we decide to not publish negative reviews for a fee.

That whole MSI notebook fiasco was limited to MSI's UK notebook division, which is separate from the other parts of MSI UK (there is a reason why they have two separate Twitter accounts).

We don't tend to deal with the notebook side of MSI, it has been years since we reviewed an MSI notebook.

I haven't watched the MSI video from GN, but I'm sure it paints a broader picture and throws all of MSI under the bus over a single rogue subdivision of MSI. I'm not saying what MSI Notebooks did wasn't atrocious, but you are making big claims by calling me paid off.

Damien c
07-10-20, 09:54 AM

Am I reading that correctly?

Are you saying that all the reviewers are bought and cannot be trusted when it comes to MSI Products?

I for one do not belive that Tom, or any other reputable reviewer would do that!

AlienALX
07-10-20, 10:01 AM
A couple of people have told MSI to get bent recently. We don't know of any one taking a back hander because none would admit it, but a British guy refused (Steve covered it on GN).

This is what happens when you introduce capitalism to China. It becomes very cut throat.

Bottom line? this is what their staff are told and forced to do. Intel used to do stuff like this all of the time, yet now they can't because they can't get away with it any more.

We used to get bribed like mad when we had Intel as our "daddy" BITD. What do you think ES were made for?

Unfortunately laws on practices like this in China are scant at best. So you can expect a lot of this going into the future. Nvidia will do nothing (even though Linus has ratted MSI) because again, this is money we are talking about here. They'll just do another "we're sorry" statement and y'all can eat a d**k.

However, accusing Mark (and or Tom) of it is out of order. I've never seen a bent MSI review on here (nor any other) nor have I seen evidence of them taking back handers to give crap products good reviews.

It's just capitalism getting in the way AGAIN. MSI generally make good products. Now the real, manly way of fixing your problems is to go back to the drawing board and make them better. Not start bunging out back handers to make negative things go away. But sadly that is the corrupt world we live in. Even Nvidia, who should be the most responsible are the worst. They can't even sell us a decent product based on its own merits it has to be in a bag of bulls**t.

tgrech
07-10-20, 10:20 AM
If they genuinely offered underhand deals to a British person then they'd be well minded to do a little more than simply refuse, we have some of the strictest laws in the world on paid promotion and advertisement, you can't do that kind of stuff(Taking payments, free stuff, ect, even stuff like heavy airbrushing is illegal in UK advertising) in any UK video content, reviews or not, without very clearly stating it before hand, if there's implication MSI are enticing British citizens into breaking these laws then ASA would have a huge case on their hands. I ofc don't believe for one second OC3D would be implicated in that though.

Good Tom Scott vid quickly covering UK paid promotion laws and the historical reasons as to why Britains are so strict:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SyetdjWMuw

SPS
07-10-20, 01:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaAY-jAjm0w

g0ggles1994
07-10-20, 02:38 PM
I take offence to the assertation that this site is "bought out" by MSI. We do not get paid by companies for reviews and neither do we decide to not publish negative reviews for a fee.

That whole MSI notebook fiasco was limited to MSI's UK notebook division, which is separate from the other parts of MSI UK (there is a reason why they have two separate Twitter accounts).

We don't tend to deal with the notebook side of MSI, it has been years since we reviewed an MSI notebook.

I haven't watched the MSI video from GN, but I'm sure it paints a broader picture and throws all of MSI under the bus over a single rogue subdivision of MSI. I'm not saying what MSI Notebooks did wasn't atrocious, but you are making big claims by calling me paid off.
Pardon my ignorance and not wishing to put anything into disrepute, but what was the Notebook fiasco?

AlienALX
07-10-20, 02:46 PM
Pardon my ignorance and not wishing to put anything into disrepute, but what was the Notebook fiasco?

MSI launched a notebook that had awful cooling. IIRC the ducts didn't go anywhere.

They tried to bribe a reviewer not to publish the review, or not mention the cooling etc.

They did something similar when they released a howler of a motherboard for X570 a while ago. One of them had half of the VRM under the board and it had no cooling so cooked itself when using a chip higher than the 3600.

They've started doing this a lot it would seem. Buying silence and good reviews.

Warchild
07-10-20, 02:59 PM
If they genuinely offered underhand deals to a British person then they'd be well minded to do a little more than simply refuse, we have some of the strictest laws in the world on paid promotion and advertisement, you can't do that kind of stuff(Taking payments, free stuff, ect, even stuff like heavy airbrushing is illegal in UK advertising) in any UK video content, reviews or not, without very clearly stating it before hand, if there's implication MSI are enticing British citizens into breaking these laws then ASA would have a huge case on their hands. I ofc don't believe for one second OC3D would be implicated in that though.

Good Tom Scott vid quickly covering UK paid promotion laws and the historical reasons as to why Britains are so strict:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SyetdjWMuw

You posted this one before.

WYP
07-10-20, 03:05 PM

Someone from MSI Notebooks UK, which is an arm of MSI UK that we don't work with, tried to silence a UK reviewer (I think it was TechTeamGB) when he was due to publish a negative notebook review.

Apparently, there was a discussion of payment for not publishing a review. A bribe basically. All the reviewer wanted was for MSI to double-check his findings before be published.

The long and short of is was that MSI Notebooks UK had a bad employee or several bad employees working for them. We work with different folks at MSI, as motherboards, GPU etc are a different division.

Anyone who claims this issue is anything larger than it is overblowing the issue. It isn't a UK-wide MSI issue, never mind a global MSI issue. To my knowledge, MSI has never acted like this to OC3D.

tgrech
07-10-20, 04:49 PM
NVidia have released this lovely little demo, not sure when
http://nvidia-research-mingyuliu.com/gaugan/

https://i.gyazo.com/baeb30b018383b00ff3b855f480d5d0d.png
https://i.gyazo.com/db79a9b5e06bf934e672ab08555d7d37.png

Dicehunter
12-10-20, 02:49 AM
Warframe is getting a big engine upgrade which will give the devs the chance to add Nvidia's RTX tech for reflective surfaces, RT shadows and eventually DLSS.

https://wccftech.com/warframe-is-getting-a-new-rendering-engine-rtx-and-dlss-teased/

NeverBackDown
12-10-20, 02:59 AM
Warframe is getting a big engine upgrade which will give the devs the chance to add Nvidia's RTX tech for reflective surfaces, RT shadows and eventually DLSS.

https://wccftech.com/warframe-is-getting-a-new-rendering-engine-rtx-and-dlss-teased/

That is some pretty impressive improvements!

Warchild
12-10-20, 09:49 AM
Not sure how much truth there is behind this but still surprising

https://www.techradar.com/news/nvidia-admits-defeat-with-rtx-3080-and-3090-founders-edition-stock-passes-baton-to-best-buy#:~:text=In%20an%20unprecedented%20move%20cause d,than%20from%20the%20Nvidia%20site.

Nvidia will stop selling their cards on their website for the time being and hand it over to retailers e.g. best buy.

I wonder if it had something to do with bot purchases?

What it also means is that those in EU have almost 0 chance to get a founders edition card as there is no 3rd party to support the sales.

n an unprecedented move caused by all the stock issues around these graphics cards, Founders Edition models are now being sold directly by Best Buy in the US, rather than from the Nvidia site.

AlienALX
12-10-20, 01:04 PM
Yeah it's because of bots. Apparently.

Dicehunter
13-10-20, 09:18 PM
Nvidia may be moving back to TSMC and refreshing Ampere on 7nm which will give not just better performance but much better/higher yields.

https://www.techpowerup.com/273302/nvidia-reportedly-moving-ampere-to-7-nm-tsmc-in-2021

Warchild
14-10-20, 08:31 AM
TMSC are just dominating the world right now.. jeez. And in this era of technology, we need them more than ever.

NeverBackDown
15-10-20, 08:12 PM
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-total-war-saga-troy-free-content-update/

New free dlc for TW Troy and a pretty awesome new Camera feature. Definitely the most extensive camera option I've seen in any game. Looks phenomenal!

Dicehunter
19-10-20, 12:13 AM
Maybe not headline worthy but GTAV is currently £12 on Steam for nearly 2 weeks more, I remember a few people saying that they were holding off on getting it due to the high price.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/271590/Grand_Theft_Auto_V/

NeverBackDown
19-10-20, 11:10 PM
Not sure if this is global, but in the US Cyberpunk 2077 is $10 due to the game hitting gold over on amazon for PS4/Xbox/PC.

Greenback
19-10-20, 11:33 PM
Not sure if this is global, but in the US Cyberpunk 2077 is $10 due to the game hitting gold over on amazon for PS4/Xbox/PC.

Sure it's not the wall calendar just had a look and games were normal price on US

NeverBackDown
20-10-20, 02:16 AM
Sure it's not the wall calendar just had a look and games were normal price on US

Not sure what you are looking at, but here is the amazon link for it
https://www.amazon.com/Cyberpunk-2077-PlayStation-4/dp/B07T8BP118/ref=sr_1_1?crid=SSWF6853W1YP&dchild=1&keywords=cyberpunk%2B2077&qid=1603159977&sprefix=cyber%2Caps%2C225&sr=8-1&th=1

I read it on an article and looked. It'll be on sale for who knows how long. It was $10 off before.
bonus tip I googled it to make sure and found a different article, IGN pointed out that AC Valhalla is also on sale.
https://www.ign.com/articles/daily-deals-preorder-cyberpunk-2077-for-ps4-ps5-xbox-one-xbox-series-x-or-pc-and-save-17-off

Greenback
20-10-20, 06:14 AM
Not sure what you are looking at, but here is the amazon link for it
https://www.amazon.com/Cyberpunk-2077-PlayStation-4/dp/B07T8BP118/ref=sr_1_1?crid=SSWF6853W1YP&dchild=1&keywords=cyberpunk%2B2077&qid=1603159977&sprefix=cyber%2Caps%2C225&sr=8-1&th=1

I read it on an article and looked. It'll be on sale for who knows how long. It was $10 off before.
bonus tip I googled it to make sure and found a different article, IGN pointed out that AC Valhalla is also on sale.
https://www.ign.com/articles/daily-deals-preorder-cyberpunk-2077-for-ps4-ps5-xbox-one-xbox-series-x-or-pc-and-save-17-off

$10 off not actually $10 a little confusion with the wording

Warchild
20-10-20, 07:48 AM
So we knew 3070 stock was going to be bad but I didnt realise this bad.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/proshop-rtx-3070-numbers-update

popular scandinavian etailer PROSHOP confirms that they will only be able to fulfill 2.5% of the 3070 orders. Basically only 106 GPUs made it to the etailer. I think all Etailers should do what proshop are doing to be more transparent.

Now before people jump and say well 106 to one Etailer is expected. Know that Proshop stocks not just for Denmark, but for Norway Sweden, Finland, Poland, Germany and Austria.

So yeah 106 cards to supply orders for 7 countries...

This is what Proshop keep updated. And do the same for the 3080 and 3090

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachments/1602665074451-png.171739/

looz
20-10-20, 08:55 AM
Now before people jump and say well 106 to one Etailer is expected. Know that Proshop stocks not just for Denmark, but for Norway Sweden, Finland, Poland, Germany and Austria.Or do they? :P

Warchild
20-10-20, 09:01 AM
Or do they? :P

well according to Proshop yes. Main warehouse is Denmark. Might have warehouses more local to the countries, but it still mostly initiated via Denmark first.

I had the same problems some months back when ordering a different product. Ordered some CL Ultra TIM. Had to wait for the stock to arrive in Denmark. They then sent the batch stock incorrectly to Germany so my order was delayed.

looz
20-10-20, 09:12 AM
Just joking about lack of stock.

Warchild
20-10-20, 12:13 PM
Ryzen 5600x beating a 10600k. A 14% increase albeit one test case. However... good times ahead.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-5-5600x-beats-intel-core-i5-10600k.html

Source link from twitter was taken down but at least the picture was hastely captured by the team at Guru3D

And what is marvellous when you look at it, is the TDP difference between the two.

Korreborg
21-10-20, 11:29 AM
About the Proshop "story". An employee from purchasing have made a user and a thread on a danish forum (1000+ posts), and have tried to answer as many questions as possible. For the 3090 launch they only made the cards available on the scandinavian sites, and i think it will be the same for the 3070 launch.

They are allocated cards based on the sales numbers from the previous series, and simply doesn't get allocated enough cards to supply the hole of EU :D

And a site note to the amount of ordered cards. There are people that have ordered 4-5 or even 7 different cards, to just try and get one. And then they will cancel the other orders when they receive the first one. But already 2 of the guys from the thread have but the cards up for sale as soon as they receive it :rolleyes:

But 10+ guys with a lot of orders will quickly get the numbers up.

tgrech
21-10-20, 12:31 PM
Apparently AMD are giving retailers advice on tactics for dealing with scammers, bots, ect to avoid the mistakes of NVidia's RTX3000 launch

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-is-schooling-retailers-to-avoid-nvidias-rtx-30-series-launch-errors-according-to-leaked-doc/

NeverBackDown
21-10-20, 07:49 PM
https://www.ign.com/articles/ubisoft-connect-is-a-next-gen-uplay-with-cross-progression-and-digital-rewards

Ubisoft consolidating their Uplay and Uclub into a new single service called Ubisoft Connect. Will now be the standard for all upcoming games(the in-store feature for redeeming trophies,etc) and all the previous games that have Ubisoft Club Rewards will be given all away given away so nobody loses anything if they didn't complete the challenges.

Launches Oct 29th alongside WD:Legion.

Warchild
22-10-20, 09:35 AM
Very interesting if true

Nvidia rumoured to cancel 3080 20GB cards and 3070 16GB

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/10/21/nvidia-reportedly-cancels-geforce-rtx-3080-20-gb-and-geforce-rtx-3070-16-gb/

This reinforces my thoughts that they may make way for the 3080Ti. That or its a reaction to the leaked spec of Big Naveeeeeee

Dicehunter
22-10-20, 10:30 AM
Very interesting if true

Nvidia rumoured to cancel 3080 20GB cards and 3070 16GB

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/10/21/nvidia-reportedly-cancels-geforce-rtx-3080-20-gb-and-geforce-rtx-3070-16-gb/

This reinforces my thoughts that they may make way for the 3080Ti. That or its a reaction to the leaked spec of Big Naveeeeeee

I've been saying this since the initial launch of the 3000 series ^_^

3080 Ti will likely have 20GB of memory and the CUDA core count will be half way between a 3080 and 3090.

Warchild
22-10-20, 11:05 AM
I've been saying this since the initial launch of the 3000 series ^_^

3080 Ti will likely have 20GB of memory and the CUDA core count will be half way between a 3080 and 3090.

well 3080ti makes much more sense than a 3080 with 20gb

looz
22-10-20, 11:18 AM
How about an even wilder speculation:
3080 Ti, which is 3080 with TSMC process and 2GB GDDR6X chips
Titan Ampere, which is 3090 with the same treatment

Or they'll choose to brand them as Super cards.

Fairly freaking unlikely though :lol: But "Nvidia planning to release 48GB TSMC 7nm 3090 Super" would get so many clicks I expect Videocardz's top source, Jensen's Laptop, report on it soon.

trawetSluaP
22-10-20, 11:21 AM
How about an even wilder speculation:
3080 Ti, which is 3080 with TSMC process and 2GB GDDR6X chips
Titan Ampere, which is 3090 with the same treatment

Or they'll choose to brand them as Super cards.

Fairly freaking unlikely though :lol:

They'll be released in July 21 and in customers hands by August 2022... LOL.

NeverBackDown
23-10-20, 03:48 PM
https://www.hpe.com/us/en/newsroom/press-release/2020/10/hewlett-packard-enterprise-wins-160m-contract-to-power-one-of-the-worlds-fastest-supercomputers-based-in-finland-to-bolster-europes-research-in-science-and-unlock-economic-growth.html

HP Enterprise and AMD are partnering together to build one of the fastest supercomputers in the world for Europe based in Finland.

Dicehunter
28-10-20, 02:47 PM
Samsung, Stanford Built a 10,000 PPI Display That Could Revolutionize VR, AR

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/316681-samsung-stanford-built-a-10000-ppi-display-that-could-revolutionize-vr-ar

Warchild
28-10-20, 03:09 PM
One for you Dice

https://www.roadtovr.com/decagear-background-roadmap-or-kuntzman/

Not only does it have finger tracking, but hip tracking also.

Dicehunter
28-10-20, 05:34 PM
One for you Dice

https://www.roadtovr.com/decagear-background-roadmap-or-kuntzman/

Not only does it have finger tracking, but hip tracking also.

Nice, 1 to watch for sure !

On a side note, Psychopaths are sending death threats to CDPR over the 3 week delay to the games release.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/cyberpunk-2077-devs-are-getting-death-threats-over-the-delay/?utm_content=buffer8e624&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

NeverBackDown
29-10-20, 04:53 AM
https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-6000-rdna-2-big-navi-graphics-cards-ray-tracing-performance-detailed/

Unknown RX6000 series GPU is faster than a 2080ti in RT benchmark from the MS DXR SDK matching the 3070 in RT performance, however gets far outclassed by 3080 and 3090. Depending on which card it is not bad for a 1st gen attempt.

Now while the information isn't entirely wrong as it came from AMD slides I do find it funny that a few websites uploaded nearly identical articles about the same thing with one claiming it's a 6800XT and the other nothing based off the same sources(to be clear nobody knows which card was ran as AMD said nothing)... Journalism at it's finest. Copy paste and sprinkle something to make it just click baity enough

Dark NighT
29-10-20, 08:51 AM
Nice, 1 to watch for sure !

On a side note, Psychopaths are sending death threats to CDPR over the 3 week delay to the games release.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/cyberpunk-2077-devs-are-getting-death-threats-over-the-delay/?utm_content=buffer8e624&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

Very similar to No Man Sky delay woes back then, where idiots did that to Hello Games for delaying it.

AlienALX
29-10-20, 12:29 PM
https://www.techpowerup.com/273967/microsoft-only-consoles-supporting-full-rdna-2-capabilities-are-xbox-series-x-and-series-s-excludes-playstation-5

Dicehunter
29-10-20, 09:43 PM
https://www.techpowerup.com/273967/microsoft-only-consoles-supporting-full-rdna-2-capabilities-are-xbox-series-x-and-series-s-excludes-playstation-5

I wonder how hard this will come to biting Sony in the rear down the line, I can see a "Pro" model being released with more CU's active and the full capabilities of RDNA2 in a year or 2.

Dicehunter
30-10-20, 01:13 PM
Someone compiled all the currently known performance data from AMD's 6000 series -

At 2K, 6900 XT is about 7% faster than 3090, 6800 XT is slightly faster than 3090 (1.5%), 6800 XT is about 10% faster than 3080, 6800 is close to 3080 (5% slower), faster than 2080ti and 3070 about 20%.

At 4K, 6900 XT is about 3% faster compared to 3090, which we can say they are on par with each other. 6800 XT is about 5% slower than 3090, 6800 XT is about 5% faster than 3080, 6800 is about 15% faster than 2080 Ti and 3070.
All data from AMD official web, there is the possibility of AMD selection of their preferred games, but it is real data.

My conclusion is that 6800 XT probably close to 3090, and 6800 is aimed at 3070ti/super. By the way, all the above tests have enabled AMD's smart access memory, but the rage mode has not been mentioned.
https://preview.redd.it/ml6ole47m5w51.png?width=1064&format=png&auto=webp&db1519cf

Source - https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/jkq11y/rx6000_series_performance_analysis_official_data/

https://i.imgur.com/2i2Y6u2.png
https://preview.redd.it/1kwu58o4n5w51.png?width=1134&format=png&auto=webp&821f91ed

https://i.imgur.com/aA7UiaZ.png

https://i.imgur.com/gDUU3GE.png
https://preview.redd.it/7dhh9tgkn5w51.png?width=600&format=png&auto=webp&d5bc2a9a

AlienALX
30-10-20, 02:53 PM
I have a feeling that the 6800 will be the go to card. I know that they way they did the launch it kinda looked like it was "the same" as the 3070 but it's not. Not at all.

I was a bit peeved also, I won't lie. However, when you go back and you look at how conclusively it beats the 2080Ti by margins that are noteworthy (like 10, 15%)? it's clear it's no 3070.

People are also assuming that the card will be clocking balls out of the box too. Like, won't have anything left in the tank. If that is the case, and the stock cooling is enough, then why are Asus making an AIO card?

You can't just assume that because Nvidia clocked balls off of Ampere to make it faster than AMD have done exactly the same to compete. My 2080Tis do 2100 easy (one does 2150 stock volts on both) but these are 7nm, not 12? was it?

I think AMD know that lots of people are going to target the cheaper card, hence why they've made it a bit more expensive.

Bartacus
30-10-20, 03:30 PM
Interesting that they list 3200mhz for their system memory testing on X570. You'd figure that would be 3600mhz.

Warchild
04-11-20, 01:09 PM
3080ti on the horizon?

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/rumor-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-with-12-gb-gddr6x-in-the-pipleline.html

Ive seen this guy tweet stuff in the past which has been spot on accurate, other things close but not quite. So this will be an interesting release. It would be odd for Nvidia to break the Ti tradition after all. I always thought the 3090 was more aligned with the titan.

so could it be that the 20gb rumours were simply paving the way for the 3080ti all along?
Time will tell once Radeon GPUs start rolling out.

AlienALX
04-11-20, 01:14 PM
3080ti on the horizon?

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/rumor-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-with-12-gb-gddr6x-in-the-pipleline.html

Ive seen this guy tweet stuff in the past which has been spot on accurate, other things close but not quite. So this will be an interesting release. It would be odd for Nvidia to break the Ti tradition after all. I always thought the 3090 was more aligned with the titan.

so could it be that the 20gb rumours were simply paving the way for the 3080ti all along?

Let me guess. MSRP $999.

Warchild
04-11-20, 01:16 PM
Let me guess. MSRP $999.

At least! I would love to know his source though. As he updated his tweet with shader counts now.

Dicehunter
04-11-20, 01:43 PM
3080ti on the horizon?

As soon as the CUDA core count was officially unveiled for the 3080 and 3090 I said there'd be a 3080 Ti as there is just too much of a gap between the 3080 and 3090 and most were like "no there will never be a 3080 Ti" ^_^

Warchild
04-11-20, 01:45 PM
As soon as the CUDA core count was officially unveiled for the 3080 and 3090 I said there'd be a 3080 Ti as there is just too much of a gap between the 3080 and 3090 and most were like "no there will never be a 3080 Ti" ^_^

Exactly my thinking at the time.

AlienALX
04-11-20, 02:46 PM
There would be no Ti unless AMD were in there. Nvidia only release Ti when they have to. They launched the 780 and the 290 and 290x were so close they released the 780Ti. 980Ti? they were worried about Fury X.

They are going to need at least two now.

At least! I would love to know his source though. As he updated his tweet with shader counts now.

No I mean MSRP. As in that will be the BS they spout before you can't find one for less than £1300.

Then every one can think "Great ! I got a $999 card..... For £1300 but that's OK because it doesn't perform like a $999 card !!!1111"

Whatever they do they need to get their paper out fast, because VRAM gate is happening.

AlienALX
05-11-20, 01:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH0ATuUwNRo&ab_channel=ActuallyHardcoreOverclocking

I don't know if you guys saw that. The user name Jumper sounds awful familiar. Any way, that is how the 5600x performs and it's a screamer. I was amazed to see it where it was, on air :O

https://i.imgur.com/Ag6jU7B.jpg

That's insane. That's actually insane.

KingNosser
06-11-20, 09:43 PM
All these small devs getting snapped up but this one means something to me they published dizzy back in the day sigh....

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/take-two-interactive-is-in-talks-to-acquire-codemasters-for-nearly-dollar1-billion/

WYP
06-11-20, 10:42 PM
All these small devs getting snapped up but this one means something to me they published dizzy back in the day sigh....

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/take-two-interactive-is-in-talks-to-acquire-codemasters-for-nearly-dollar1-billion/

It wasn't that long ago when Codemasters acquired Slightly Mad Studios.

KingNosser
07-11-20, 01:42 AM
It wasn't that long ago when Codemasters acquired Slightly Mad Studios.

tbh that is most likely why they want to buy them, but codemasters do well they just make to many of the same game, shame they don't make more varried titles.

WYP
07-11-20, 10:53 AM
tbh that is most likely why they want to buy them, but codemasters do well they just make to many of the same game, shame they don't make more varried titles.

Codemasters also has a lot of technological talent. I could see Take 2 tapping those talents to help with other projects. Imagine GTA driving with a little of the Codemasters magic. That said, GTA driving is fun as it is.

looz
07-11-20, 12:40 PM
I imagine Take-Two's lawyers getting involved if someone dares to mod their games more likely. Though it's not like Codemasters' games have a thriving modding scene - but NFS Shift 1 and 2 got some mods aiming to make the driving a bit more realistic.

Excalabur50
09-11-20, 12:49 AM
It's been discovered that the new 5000 series CPU's prefer 4x ram configurations vs 2x
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UkGu6A-6sQ

Damien c
09-11-20, 09:33 AM
I thought that was the same with all previous Ryzen CPU's, but they had to be a certain type in order to really benefit from them, I saw it on another forum where someone had done a load of testing around it.

FTLN
09-11-20, 10:19 AM
Its looking good for AMD, but I'm just worried so many people will be pulling their hair out with AMD's flaky drivers !!!

Nvidia stability is rock solid, and maybe worth the extra few $$'s

Warchild
09-11-20, 10:39 AM
Its looking good for AMD, but I'm just worried so many people will be pulling their hair out with AMD's flaky drivers !!!

Nvidia stability is rock solid, and maybe worth the extra few $$'s

Stability is worth a few extra, but not hundreds extra.

FTLN
09-11-20, 11:44 AM
Stability is worth a few extra, but not hundreds extra.

True, but if isn't stable it isn't worth anything. I have had a fair few sleepless nights with my RVII and I'd like to say I know what I'm doing when it comes to computers.

That being said, i'm sure game developers are also half the problem with regards to stability, if AMD GPU's become more mainstream then the developers might put a bit more effort in optimizing for the platform...

Warchild
09-11-20, 01:22 PM
https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/AMD-Radeon-RX-6800-XT-Black-Edition-Graphics-Card-740x392.jpg

These shrouds from AMD are very nice looking. All in black so it fits in nicely with most builds.

g0ggles1994
09-11-20, 02:50 PM
https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/AMD-Radeon-RX-6800-XT-Black-Edition-Graphics-Card-740x392.jpg

These shrouds from AMD are very nice looking. All in black so it fits in nicely with most builds.
Oh hello! I'd buy that over an AIB. Admittedly so I've got a decent chance of sticking a block on it.

NeverBackDown
11-11-20, 03:01 AM
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Agon-PD27-AOC-and-Porsche-Design-collaborate-to-deliver-a-stylish-27-inch-gaming-monitor-with-a-240-Hz-refresh-rate.503601.0.html

AOC and Porsche partner to make a 27" 1440p 240hz monitor. At $799 releasing sometime this month.

Warchild
11-11-20, 10:13 AM
Looking at the curvature, reminds me of the Samsung Odyssey. I guess its the same panel?

tgrech
11-11-20, 11:20 AM
You can float a ping pong ball on the top vent of the Xbox Series X:
(Source: https://twitter.com/RaveofRavendale/status/1326480885282058240/photo/1)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EmibTY_XEAI-Dd8?format=png&name=900x900

Warchild
11-11-20, 12:02 PM
You can float a ping pong ball on the top vent of the Xbox Series X:
(Source: https://twitter.com/RaveofRavendale/status/1326480885282058240/photo/1)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EmibTY_XEAI-Dd8?format=png&name=900x900

Something for off topic really. Not quite news worthy.

tgrech
11-11-20, 12:26 PM
breaking news

looz
11-11-20, 12:34 PM
Well at least it's something tangible and not a rumour of a rumour getting cancelled.

Excalabur50
12-11-20, 01:45 AM
There's currently a world wide issue affecting Youtube ATM below is a statement from them to Twitter.
If you’re having trouble watching videos on YouTube right now, you’re not alone – our team is aware of the issue and working on a fix. We’ll follow up here with any updates.

AlienALX
12-11-20, 04:05 PM
There's currently a world wide issue affecting Youtube ATM below is a statement from them to Twitter.
If you’re having trouble watching videos on YouTube right now, you’re not alone – our team is aware of the issue and working on a fix. We’ll follow up here with any updates.

Wish they could have told me before I stripped down half of my effing WIFI equipment and Amazon Fire last night. FFS.

KingNosser
12-11-20, 05:01 PM
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/tsmc-in-the-desert-with-the-silicon-wafer/

AlienALX
12-11-20, 06:09 PM
The massive chip shop

lol that made me laugh :D

Warchild
12-11-20, 06:20 PM
So obvious he's a brit.

AlienALX
12-11-20, 11:49 PM
So obvious he's a brit.

Oddly enough fish and chips is Jewish. I never knew that until a couple of years ago.

I have mine every Friday. Usually cooked at home because I've had some proper dodgy ones in the past.

NeverBackDown
13-11-20, 03:00 AM
Msi bringing PS5 1440p "fix" to their gaming monitors

https://wccftech.com/ps5-1440p-fix-promised-by-msi-through-its-monitors-console-mode/

Pretty cool. Will be interesting to see how they scale it. 4k to 1440p or vice versa is not a 1:1 ratio like 1080p to 4k.

Of course Sony could just add support for 1440p and not be stupid about it.

Dicehunter
13-11-20, 04:19 AM
Pretty good news, All current "RTX" titles do not use any form of proprietary tech or API but rather make sole use out of the DXR API meaning AMD's 6000 series GPU's will be able to play any and all "RTX" branded games minus 3, Quake II RTX, Wolfenstein: Youngblood and JX3 but that's just a workaround Nvidia had to use with Vulkan until Kronos release an update to Vulkan to support RT directly through their API.

https://adoredtv.com/amd-confirms-rx-6000-series-will-support-existing-ray-tracing-titles/

Warchild
13-11-20, 09:07 AM
Oddly enough fish and chips is Jewish. I never knew that until a couple of years ago.

I have mine every Friday. Usually cooked at home because I've had some proper dodgy ones in the past.

Fried fish originates from the Jewish, but "chips" got popular in Yorkshire. The person who combined them however should be knighted!

AlienALX
13-11-20, 10:52 AM
Fried fish originates from the Jewish, but "chips" got popular in Yorkshire. The person who combined them however should be knighted!

Aye. Killer combination tbh.

g0ggles1994
13-11-20, 12:16 PM
Pretty good news, All current "RTX" titles do not use any form of proprietary tech or API but rather make sole use out of the DXR API meaning AMD's 6000 series GPU's will be able to play any and all "RTX" branded games minus 3, Quake II RTX, Wolfenstein: Youngblood and JX3 but that's just a workaround Nvidia had to use with Vulkan until Kronos release an update to Vulkan to support RT directly through their API.

https://adoredtv.com/amd-confirms-rx-6000-series-will-support-existing-ray-tracing-titles/
And nothing of value was lost. I was honestly expecting Metro Exodus to be one of them.

tinytomlogan
13-11-20, 12:47 PM

Crysis uses the vulkan workaround too.... RT = some funky glitches

Warchild
14-11-20, 04:29 PM
TechN which I mentioned some weeks back has now taken the crown as the best AMD waterblock on the market.

Normally new versions from most brands will improve temps by 1C at most if you are lucky.
TechN however has gone extreme allowing you almost 3C improvements

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/review-liquid-cooling-with-a-techn-waterblock,1.html

This is definately a watercooling company to look out for. Their DDC pumps look out of this world.

looz
18-11-20, 12:16 PM
https://www.inet.se/kampanj/6000/amd-radeon-rx-6000-serien

Angående priser

Som en fotnot vill vi även bemöta eventuella frågor om prissättningen. Tyvärr har vi ingen möjlighet att möta det sedan tidigare kommunicerade rekommenderade priset AMD bestämt, det är under vårt inköpspris. Skenande leverenskostnader med flygfrakt under rådande omständigheter och ett instabilt dollarpris påverkar dessvärre den här releasen på ett negativt sätt.

Translated:

Regarding prices

As a footnote, we also want to address any questions about pricing. Unfortunately, we have no opportunity to meet the previously communicated recommended price AMD decided, it is below our purchase price. Rising delivery costs with air freight under prevailing circumstances and an unstable dollar price unfortunately affect this release in a negative way.

tgrech
21-11-20, 02:24 PM
Not sure what his source is but seems like there's a tiny bit more info about "Medium Navi 2" or whatever we should call it

https://twitter.com/patrickschur_/status/1329930346687852544

NV22 XT 186-211 W TGP (RX 6700 XT)
NV22 XTL 146-156 W TGP (RX 6700?)
12 GB GDDR6

looz
21-11-20, 03:06 PM
Navish

NeverBackDown
28-11-20, 10:14 PM
https://www.pcgamesn.com/total-war-warhammer/total-war-battles-warhammer-reveal-trailer

TW Warhammer 1 is getting a mobile version being developed by NetEase announced with a youtube video in the article.

tgrech
30-11-20, 11:51 AM
Anyone noticed that last gen cards are now sold out everywhere or inflated in prices too? RX5000 and RTX2000 cards all gone?

Warchild
01-12-20, 09:44 AM
Anyone noticed that last gen cards are now sold out everywhere or inflated in prices too? RX5000 and RTX2000 cards all gone?

last gen were always on back order here. Prices didnt inflate, they just never dropped even when the new gen arrived. Which is somewhat weird but I do see some stores still in stock.

Dicehunter
11-12-20, 04:25 AM
Mass Effect 4 confirmed, Keeping my expectations exceptionally low considering the subpar steaming garbage that was Andromeda.

Lg-Ctg6k_Ao

g0ggles1994
11-12-20, 01:20 PM
Mass Effect 4 confirmed, Keeping my expectations exceptionally low considering the subpar steaming garbage that was Andromeda.

Lg-Ctg6k_Ao
I snoozed through most of TGA last night, only announcement that really stood out was Perfect Dark and even then my expectations are low with how Zero turned out.

Dicehunter
12-12-20, 01:33 PM
3080 Ti spotted in driver -

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-rtx-3080-ti-outed-in-hps-oem-driver-along-with-a-host-of-desktop-and-mobile-ampere-gpus/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=socialflow

Excalabur50
12-12-20, 08:23 PM
Hardware Unboxed here in Australia are being denied Nvidia Founders edition cards for review as they focused on Rasterization instead of Ray Tracing!
Source https://www.youtube.com/c/Hardwareunboxednow/community
Nvidia being a total pack of ratbags if you ask me, I could say worse but it deletes it :)

Dark NighT
12-12-20, 09:20 PM
Hardware Unboxed here in Australia are being denied Nvidia Founders edition cards for review as they focused on Rasterization instead of Ray Tracing!
Source https://www.youtube.com/c/Hardwareunboxednow/community
Nvidia being a total pack of ratbags if you ask me, I could say worse but it deletes it :)

Yeah it's disgusting behaviour from Nvidia, this is not the way to handle the independent press/media outlets.

The rant from Linus was just so good on his Wan show.

Excalabur50
12-12-20, 09:35 PM
Yeah it's disgusting behaviour from Nvidia, this is not the way to handle the independent press/media outlets.

The rant from Linus was just so good on his Wan show.

Yep and so was JTC on his too, this kind of behaviour from Nvidia is TOTALLY unacceptable!

NeverBackDown
12-12-20, 11:45 PM
Watch the Linus WAN episode about it. Goes into more details. Very scummy of Nvidia

In other news, CP2077 is terribly optimized and users have fixed the Ryzen 5000 series optimization of not utilizing SMT editing the hex code in the .exe file. It'll help but not fix everything.

https://videocardz.com/newz/cyberpunk-2077-gets-fps-boost-with-a-patch-for-amd-ryzen-cpus

KingNosser
13-12-20, 04:22 AM
They emailed hardware unboxed back earlier and said sorry for sending him that email, but tbh i think the damage is kinda done to a point in peoples eyes, but i guess they are going to send him hardware still now.

AngryGoldfish
13-12-20, 06:00 PM
They emailed hardware unboxed back earlier and said sorry for sending him that email, but tbh i think the damage is kinda done to a point in peoples eyes, but i guess they are going to send him hardware still now.

As much as I wholeheartedly believe in forgiveness and giving the benefit of the doubt, it's harder to forgive a prepared statement that is so blatantly aggressive, condescending, and destructive. Everybody is saying, the only reason it was redacted is because they got caught. I don't see how we could say that for sure, but it certainly looks that way. The same applies to the 3.5GB of VRAM. The letter read like it was penned by a functioning psychopath, kinda like a Patrick Bateman of the silicon world. It makes me more committed to never supporting their company again. These are repeated acts of anti-social, anti-competitive behaviour. I sometimes feel sorry for the engineers who do amazing things there who have to work for these people.

KingNosser
13-12-20, 06:07 PM
As much as I wholeheartedly believe in forgiveness and giving the benefit of the doubt, it's harder to forgive a prepared statement that is so blatantly aggressive, condescending, and destructive. Everybody is saying, the only reason it was redacted is because they got caught. I don't see how we could say that for sure, but it certainly looks that way. The same applies to the 3.5GB of VRAM. The letter read like it was penned by a functioning psychopath, kinda like a Patrick Bateman of the silicon world. It makes me more committed to never supporting their company again. These are repeated acts of anti-social, anti-competitive behaviour. I sometimes feel sorry for the engineers who do amazing things there who have to work for these people.

Yep it's pretty bad alright, idk what they expected tbh

As for the 3.5gb vram on the 970's they are out of my system now enjoying the rewards of 16gb vram on the new 6800XT, omg does cyberpunk look amazing on ultra such a sweet card it's butter smooth and is so quiet, highly recommend not had a single issue with the game :D

NeverBackDown
14-12-20, 08:06 AM
EA outbid Take Two to acquire Codemasters by about $400 million.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gamesindustry.biz/amp/2020-12-14-ea-agrees-USD1-2-billion-acquisition-of-codemasters

KingNosser
14-12-20, 08:26 AM
Worst possible outcome i feel, mainly for people that enjoy steering wheel and peddles cause EA have been very lackluster on that front.

Warchild
14-12-20, 09:28 AM
Worst possible outcome i feel, mainly for people that enjoy steering wheel and peddles cause EA have been very lackluster on that front.

Shouldnt matter if the team at Codemasters continue strong.

KingNosser
14-12-20, 09:36 AM
Shouldnt matter if the team at Codemasters continue strong.

Should we go into the studios they have brought that are now since gone, i'm not optimistic on this one.

Dicehunter
14-12-20, 10:28 AM
The letter read like it was penned by a functioning psychopath, kinda like a Patrick Bateman of the silicon world.

It's sad to say but a lot of people in charge at these places are genuinely psycho, I remember talking to someone once that worked at Goldman Sachs as my cousin used to work for them, Briefly I might add, Was at a dinner party type thing, It was honestly like communicating with someone totally disconnected from the real world, It was a jarring experience and any position that gives power over people no matter the industry, Gaming, Finance etc... is generally occupied by the certifiably loopy as they will do anything to get the position that gives them power over others or to be able to exert power.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gamesindustry.biz/amp/2020-12-14-ea-agrees-USD1-2-billion-acquisition-of-codemasters

Goodbye Codemasters, Going to get made into a micro transaction game pusher.

g0ggles1994
14-12-20, 07:23 PM

Noooo! I hope the F1 licence moves to another developer... Ha I'm just kidding, Liberty Media will want the most money which EA will offer and absolutely ruin everything.

KingNosser
15-12-20, 03:01 PM
Quake II RTX now uses vulkan API for raytracing as well, works on amd cards I tried it out works pretty well, thou it did crash so i guess not well enough.

looz
15-12-20, 11:14 PM
Wait what, when did AMD implement Vulkan raytracing?

KingNosser
15-12-20, 11:44 PM
Wait what, when did AMD implement Vulkan raytracing?

Was earlier in the day today, it's only in Quake II atm but i'd expect others to happen soonish doom eternal should be one of them at some stage and i really like that game :)

Dicehunter
17-12-20, 02:24 AM
Looks like scalping electrical goods may soon be made illegal in the UK :)

https://www.thegamer.com/uk-mps-action-against-ps5-xbox-series-x-scalpers/

Dicehunter
22-12-20, 07:05 AM
AIDA 64 release notes show support for the 3080 Ti -

Release notes:

AVX2 and FMA accelerated 64-bit benchmarks for AMD Zen 3 based Ryzen 5000 Series processors
EVGA iCX3 sensor support
GPU details for AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series
GPU details for nVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050, GeForce RTX 3060, GeForce RTX 3060 Ti, GeForce RTX 3070 Ti, GeForce RTX 3080 Ti

https://www.aida64.com/downloads/YTM2OTMzZWE=?utm_source=aida64&utm_medium=update&utm_campaign=stableproduct

KingNosser
07-01-21, 04:15 PM
https://www.coindesk.com/uks-ban-on-crypto-derivatives-goes-into-effect-today

I'd expect this to happen elsewhere it was always going to happen imho.

tgrech
07-01-21, 04:48 PM
https://www.coindesk.com/uks-ban-on-crypto-derivatives-goes-into-effect-today

I'd expect this to happen elsewhere it was always going to happen imho.
Yep, the trading of crypto derivatives like futures, options, and tokens, makes no sense with the volatility, and exists just as a dodgy financers toolbox, this trading of derivatives adds no long term value to the cryptocurrency market at all and it's better for all but the exchanges that this is stopped.

UK govt. was kinda responsible for encouraging this area of "investment" that has appeared off the side of crypto to flourish under George Osborne's time in treasury but good to see its finally being cleaned up

Warchild
15-01-21, 09:50 AM
So who is to blame for this?

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/premium-z590-motherboards-to-become-brutally-expensiveone-mobo-even-passes-1500-eur.html

Z590 boards 500 euro plus with high end glacial costing over 1500 euro.

Warchild
15-01-21, 12:59 PM
3080ti delayed indefinitely according to some sources

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUvdyIP1mpw&ab_channel=GamersNexus

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/joao-silva/nvidia-has-reportedly-delayed-the-rtx-3080-ti-indefinitely/

Apparently delay is due to the unbelievable demand on the current GPUs on the market. Once these demands die down, then we will see 3080ti. Nice way to keep the revenus flooding in and creating more demand.

Dicehunter
21-01-21, 01:34 AM
Gaben has stated there are multiple games in development at Valve and the huge success of Half Life Alyx was a big reason for it.

https://www.pcgamer.com/gabe-newell-says-valve-has-games-in-development-that-were-going-to-be-announcing/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=socialflow

tgrech
21-01-21, 11:22 AM
Raspberry Pi have entered the microcontroller market!

What a price and feature set! Taking it straight to the Arduino's and ESP's

Already put my order in to get to grips with this one quickly, it looks like it'll be a popular choice

https://hackaday.com/2021/01/20/raspberry-pi-enters-microcontroller-game-with-4-pico/

NeverBackDown
22-01-21, 06:33 AM
Youtuber VIK-on published a video on upgrading a RTX 2070 to 16GB of Samsung 2GB memory modules replacing the 8GB micron 1GB stack memory modules.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/youtuber-upgrades-rtx-2070-to-16gb-of-vram

Dicehunter
02-02-21, 04:01 PM
It's still EA so they have probably messed something up or monetized something via micro transactions but this could be good -

n8i53TtQ6IQ

Dicehunter
05-02-21, 04:06 PM
A game called "On Air" coming out featuring a fair amount of ray tracing -

-Ray traced reflections
-Ray traced refractions
-Ray traced shadows

Apparently it's a Heavy Rain/Detroit Become Human style of game.

gH7EbGtItx8

tgrech
09-02-21, 11:25 AM
Anyone see the new attack on CDPR? Not the first time for this type of thing for them iirc, but a hilarious note

https://twitter.com/cdprojektred/status/1359048125403590660

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EtxNwXZXUAE6tUX?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Kleptobot
18-02-21, 11:51 AM
Not sure what other people think of this but Facebook has blocked news content in Australia

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-australia-56099523

Personally I think it is their service and they can do what they want with it. They don't owe people anything.

WYP
18-02-21, 11:54 AM
Not sure what other people think of this but Facebook has blocked news content in Australia

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-australia-56099523

Personally I think it is their service and they can do what they want with it. They don't owe people anything.

I can't say that I have read up on it. I'm curious about how Facebook's feature works, as a ban only makes sense if Facebook were somehow taking content and not denying the producer revenue.

tgrech
18-02-21, 12:16 PM
Isn't this because Rupert Murdoch is trying to lobby their govt. to bring in laws to make social media sites pay when people share news articles?

Seems like it's a battle of Old media vs New media over who gets the profit from the clickbait tabloid articles brainwashing your gran

Dicehunter
18-02-21, 03:34 PM
Apparently Nvidia is limiting the hash rate of their upcoming 3060 to make them less desirable to miners.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2021/02/18/geforce-cmp/

NeverBackDown
18-02-21, 04:59 PM
Apparently Nvidia is limiting the hash rate of their upcoming 3060 to make them less desirable to miners.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2021/02/18/geforce-cmp/

They will just download an older driver then. It would have to be done on a firmware level installed from the factory. And then make them harder to rewrite.

Dicehunter
18-02-21, 05:35 PM
They will just download an older driver then. It would have to be done on a firmware level installed from the factory. And then make them harder to rewrite.

Indeed, This is Nvidia just saying "look we tried to do something".

Dicehunter
24-02-21, 09:35 PM
Anthems "NEXT" update has been cancelled in favour of focusing on the next Mass Effect, Dragon Age and continuing to support and release new content for Star Wars The Old Republic.

https://blog.bioware.com/2021/02/24/anthem-update/

NeverBackDown
27-02-21, 03:03 AM
https://www.eetimes.com/amd-tsmc-imec-show-their-chiplet-playbooks-at-isscc/

This was a really good read into MCM designs and what's needed to improve the future of silicon.

AlienALX
02-03-21, 11:51 AM
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16518/intel-discontinues-performance-tuning-protection-plan-for-overclocking-warranties

Intel gets rid of stupid extra priced insurance

Dicehunter
04-03-21, 04:28 PM
The 3080 Ti rumour mill is spinning up, It may include a crypto limiter -

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-to-feature-cryptocurrency-mining-limiter

NeverBackDown
06-03-21, 09:50 AM
Now this is actually impressive. A modder is creating a gateway for Crusader Kings 3 and Mount and Blade Bannerlord that allows your CK battles to take place in MB and the results get sent back to CK and you can continue your campaign.

Essentially turns this into a alternative TW but on steroids and no turns.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/crusader-blade-mod-lets-you-play-crusader-kings-3-battles-in-mount-and-blade-2-bannerlord

Dicehunter
07-03-21, 07:56 AM
Apparently God of War, Bloodborne, The Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection and Ghost of Tsushima are getting PC ports along with Days Gone, This comes via a prominent leaker who has a solid track record so far.

https://www.gamesradar.com/god-of-war-and-ghost-of-tsushima-are-in-line-for-pc-ports-according-to-a-leaker/?utm_content=gamesradar&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=socialflow

Would make sense, Sony are leaving a lot of money on the table.

AngryGoldfish
07-03-21, 11:03 AM
Apparently God of War, Bloodborne, The Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection and Ghost of Tsushima are getting PC ports along with Days Gone, This comes via a prominent leaker who has a solid track record so far.

https://www.gamesradar.com/god-of-war-and-ghost-of-tsushima-are-in-line-for-pc-ports-according-to-a-leaker/?utm_content=gamesradar&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=socialflow

Would make sense, Sony are leaving a lot of money on the table.

Woah, that's big news. Those are some of the biggest games ever. Tons of revenue to be made from the PC community there. And more importantly, tons of PC gamers who haven't been able to enjoy them the way they would like to.

Dicehunter
07-03-21, 11:11 AM
Woah, that's big news. Those are some of the biggest games ever. Tons of revenue to be made from the PC community there. And more importantly, tons of PC gamers who haven't been able to enjoy them the way they would like to.

Indeedy, It makes sense Sony bringing these to PC, They've seen how much money they are leaving on the table and how much of a success titles that were previously console exclusives have been on PC i.e Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding and Detroit Become Human, I personally reckon they used these 3 games to test the proverbial PC waters.

Dicehunter
10-03-21, 09:45 AM
Apparently according to a steam data base entry, CD Projekt Red are in the final testing stages of the big 1.2 update to CP2077 slated for around mid March that will fix many things, Add quality of life changes, Performance optimisations as well as a few more additions, According to "leaks" it'll be as big as all updates to date combined.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/ly99m3/any_news_leaks_from_coming_12_patch/?ref_source=embed&ref=share

The latest test build was only 2 days ago according to this steam data base entry.

https://steamdb.info/app/1091500/depots/?branch=cdpr_internal_qa

As usual take with a pinch of salt though.

Warchild
10-03-21, 11:30 AM
I dont care what people say. Bugs aside, I enjoyed the game immensely. PC had far less issues than console, but I won't say no to a few more optimisations while I replay it on a different story path!

Dicehunter
10-03-21, 12:59 PM
I dont care what people say. Bugs aside, I enjoyed the game immensely. PC had far less issues than console, but I won't say no to a few more optimisations while I replay it on a different story path!

I'm waiting until 1.2 drops for my 1st playthrough so I can give myself the best chance possible at a clean start.

tgrech
10-03-21, 02:20 PM
I played the prologue, messed around a bit in the open world, and decided I was happy waiting till some big patches had came and I had a better GPU. I guess I'll get round to playing the rest soon

Dicehunter
12-03-21, 01:44 PM
Crysis Remastered now supports DLSS 2.0

https://www.reddit.com/r/Crysis/comments/m3f8e4/crysis_remastered_pc_update_21_dlss_update/

Dicehunter
18-03-21, 09:39 PM
With PSVR being confirmed, Sony have released a pic of their custom controllers coming out soon'ish -

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/HrgvTqkrRoZqV6obATcp5d-970-80.jpg.webp

Source - https://www.pcgamer.com/sonys-getting-serious-about-vr-on-ps5-and-thats-great-news-for-everyone/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com

Also someone ran Zelda Breath of the Wild at 8K with a graphics pack and RT global illumination.

RwuiGTNoEJA

Source - https://www.pcgamer.com/heres-breath-of-the-wild-running-in-8k-with-a-ray-tracing-reshade/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=socialflow

Dicehunter
22-03-21, 12:17 PM
Some guy on reddit replaced the stock thermal pads on his 3090 Founders Edition, Noted they were terrible quality and replaced them.

Stock pads - memory at 110'c throttling with 100% fan.

Replaced pads - 80-90'c no throttling with 50% fan.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/mah1iu/3090_fe_factory_thermal_pads_are_awful_replacing/

Seems Nvidia have a slight issue on their hands going by the many other FE owners reporting the same insanely high memory temps.

https://i.imgur.com/DZWC9Qd.jpg

EDIT

More people swapping out their thermal pads on their 30xx series cards and seeing large temp drops, This time on a 3080 FE.

Control
Stock pads -106C
Replaced pads - 86C

RDR2
Stock pads - 104C
Replaced pads - 85C

Quake II RTX
Stock pads - 110C
Replaced pads - 94C

Total Average
Stock pads - 107C
Replaced pads - 88C

Aswell as replacing his stock TIM the temps on the core went down an average of 4'c.

Nvidia really $**t the bed with this one, The TIM and pads should've been high grade for the prices they charge.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/mb7wnt/completed_my_3080_fe_vram_thermal_pad_replacement/

Dicehunter
24-03-21, 10:55 AM
Cyberpunks lead designer has left CDPR.

https://www.gamesradar.com/cyberpunk-2077-lead-designer-leaves-cdpr-after-8-years/&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=oxm/?utm_campaign=socialflow-oxm&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com

Dicehunter
25-03-21, 01:28 PM
Not really news but Matt at DIY Perks replaced the outer fascia of his PS5 with custom made brass, Looks epic -

VRo-lnBKhLo

Dicehunter
27-03-21, 04:32 PM
A new Legacy of Kain game may be on the horizon

https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/legacy-of-kain-soul-reaver-temporarily-removed-from-steam-for-important-updates/

Dicehunter
29-03-21, 03:18 AM
Someone modded the suez canal ship catastrophe into MS Flight Sim :yelrotflmao:

https://www.pcgamer.com/heres-the-stuck-suez-cargo-ship-in-microsoft-flight-simulator/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow

Dicehunter
30-03-21, 04:42 PM
The cell shaded game XIII is free for the next 40'ish hours on GOG, add it to your account and keep it.

https://www.gog.com/game/xiii

Dicehunter
01-04-21, 09:03 AM
Some more people swapping the pads and paste out on their 3000 series Founders Edition cards and seeing pretty big temp drops, This seems to be a trend now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/mhi3js/rtx_3080_fe_thermal_paste_and_pad_results/

NeverBackDown
01-04-21, 11:13 AM
Some more people swapping the pads and paste out on their 3000 series Founders Edition cards and seeing pretty big temp drops, This seems to be a trend now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/mhi3js/rtx_3080_fe_thermal_paste_and_pad_results/

I recently without knowing this stuff was a thing lately redid my 1080 stock paste and while my temps are the same the fan speed is about 150-300 rpm lower than before depending on the game. Quite impressive. All while adding an extra few 12mhz in clock speed thanks to GPU boost. That should definitely get more 30 more fps lol

I used mx-4 paste if anyone is curious. I did not redo the thermal pads although I feel like I should now after seeing everyone's posts about it. Prolong the life of the card in a time where obtaining one is impossible and expensive.

Dicehunter
01-04-21, 11:39 AM
I recently without knowing this stuff was a thing lately redid my 1080 stock paste and while my temps are the same the fan speed is about 150-300 rpm lower than before depending on the game. Quite impressive. All while adding an extra few 12mhz in clock speed thanks to GPU boost. That should definitely get more 30 more fps lol

I used mx-4 paste if anyone is curious. I did not redo the thermal pads although I feel like I should now after seeing everyone's posts about it. Prolong the life of the card in a time where obtaining one is impossible and expensive.

Yep, Using newer TIM and pads seems to be a good idea if you are the temp conscious type and want to quieten your card down a tiny bit, I actually just ordered myself some Thermal Grizzly pads for the Lightning Z I have and an extra tube of MX-5, I'm not expecting miracles but definitely lower temps :)

NeverBackDown
01-04-21, 10:21 PM
Preventative maintenance is a good policy in these times. Just don't know what size pads I would need. I am to lazy to do the research even though it's probably 10 minutes of time :p

Bartacus
01-04-21, 10:42 PM
I re-pasted my old reliable Radeon VII with Kingpin KPX, and used some extra thermal pads on the back plate too. Then I did something super silly with 3mm of Fujipoly and a 20mm heatsink, ghetto A.F., LOL!

https://i.imgur.com/FT8aX5Hl.jpg

NeverBackDown
02-04-21, 12:21 AM
May be ghetto but if it works it ain't stupid! :D

Bartacus
02-04-21, 01:03 AM
May be ghetto but if it works it ain't stupid! :D
At these clocks, it's running cool as a cucumber, but that's more down to the Barrow GPU block than the ghetto modding. :D But I think that actually dropped the core by a small margin, maybe 2-3C.

https://i.imgur.com/zKZCZoHl.jpg

Dicehunter
02-04-21, 08:34 PM
Along with the price gouging that retailers are doing like OCUK and scan, The issue with scalping going on, Asus are about to raise the prices of their cards even higher.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-to-hike-graphics-cards-prices-again

Dawelio
02-04-21, 09:57 PM
Along with the price gouging that retailers are doing like OCUK and scan, The issue with scalping going on, Asus are about to raise the prices of their cards even higher.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-to-hike-graphics-cards-prices-again

With this in mind, I'm immensely glad that I've finally recieved my 3080 Strix, at a reasonable price of $1000, rather than $1300 which it is at as of this moment.

AlienALX
02-04-21, 10:45 PM
If you can't beat em join em.

Oh if only humans didn't totally lack self control.

Dicehunter
03-04-21, 03:37 AM
With this in mind, I'm immensely glad that I've finally recieved my 3080 Strix, at a reasonable price of $1000, rather than $1300 which it is at as of this moment.

Great that you have that card but could you imagine telling your past self, Just say maybe 5 years ago, That paying $1000 for an xx80 series card is reasonable in 2020/21 ? I can only imagine how much more they'll go up.

If you can't beat em join em.

Oh if only humans didn't totally lack self control.

Aint that the truth.

Dawelio
03-04-21, 09:16 AM
Great that you have that card but could you imagine telling your past self, Just say maybe 5 years ago, That paying $1000 for an xx80 series card is reasonable in 2020/21 ? I can only imagine how much more they'll go up.

Aint that the truth.

Haha probably a bit, to be honest. I knew they would go up as technology advances etc, but the price hikes we have today? Not at all, it’s insane and just keeps on rising.

Dicehunter
06-04-21, 08:37 PM
RTX Voice is now fully accessible for Nvidia users with non RTX cards, Although I expect RTX users will still have a slightly better experience due to having dedicated AI hardware.

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-rtx-voice-noise-cancellation-geforce-gpu-supported/

NeverBackDown
08-04-21, 03:18 AM
Nvidia's RTX voice, now Noise Removal, can be used on any Nvidia GPU no longer requiring Tensor cores. Although you will take a performance hit of some degree.

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-rtx-voice-noise-cancellation-geforce-gpu-supported/

Dicehunter
08-04-21, 07:49 PM
Nvidia's RTX voice, now Noise Removal, can be used on any Nvidia GPU no longer requiring Tensor cores. Although you will take a performance hit of some degree.

Directly 1 post up from yours and 2 days prior ;)

On a side note, Silent Scone, 1 of the people at Asus, Said on the Asus forums that they will be releasing a bios to enable resizeable bar on Z370 and Z390 boards around April/May.

https://i.redd.it/raf3s4w29yr61.png

NeverBackDown
14-04-21, 12:25 AM
Cloudflare is partnering with Nvidia to bring their AI/Tensorflow kits to their server edges in over 200 cities.
https://blog.cloudflare.com/workers-ai/

Dicehunter
18-04-21, 10:48 PM
Unreal Engine RTX tech showcase downloadable demo now available from Nvidia, Set in an attic with various RT tech such as -

RTX Global Illumination
Ray-traced Translucency
Ray-traced Reflections
RTX Direct Illumination
Nvidia DLSS

https://developer.nvidia.com/unrealengine

vnpUykzHpv8

Dicehunter
22-04-21, 09:24 AM
Nvidia are apparently releasing their RTX "Marbles at Night" tech demo to the public soon.

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2021/03/12/nvidia-reportedly-planning-playable-version-of-marbles-at-night-ray-tracing-demo/

https://www.thefpsreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/nvidia-marbles-at-night-game-release.jpg

NgcYLIvlp_k

Warchild
22-04-21, 05:25 PM
Silicon Shortage affecting so many industries.

Landrover and Jaguar halt all work at UK plants because of Chip shortages.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56841946

Dicehunter
24-04-21, 01:25 PM
Looks like Apple are going to be using an AMD RDNA2 GPU in the form of the Radeon Pro W6900X in their upcoming Mac Pro according to this leak.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-pro-w6900x-navi21-for-apple-macpro-appears-in-leaked-benchmark-results

Dicehunter
25-04-21, 09:40 AM
New ASIC mines Ethereum at the same rate as 30 x 3080's, 3GH/s.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ethereum-miner-32-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-gpus

AngryGoldfish
25-04-21, 11:00 AM
New ASIC mines Ethereum at the same rate as 30 x 3080's, 3GH/s.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ethereum-miner-32-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-gpus

I love how they just say you'll be able to buy an Nvidia card now when mining has caused an AMD shortage too.

Dicehunter
25-04-21, 01:50 PM
I love how they just say you'll be able to buy an Nvidia card now when mining has caused an AMD shortage too.

Indeed, I have money slowly amounting for a 6900XT but by the time stock is available the next series will be out.

Warchild
25-04-21, 04:36 PM
Indeed, I have money slowly amounting for a 6900XT but by the time stock is available the next series will be out.

Sadly the global silicon shortage makes any GPU difficult to get. That said, they reckon the shortage will end in 6months. Not sure where i read it, or what its based on, but i hope its true.

AngryGoldfish
25-04-21, 05:56 PM
Sadly the global silicon shortage makes any GPU difficult to get. That said, they reckon the shortage will end in 6months. Not sure where i read it, or what its based on, but i hope its true.

Bitcoin value did just dive by $260 billion. It'll bounce back as far as people seem to be saying, but maybe the surge is starting to taper off slightly.

Dicehunter
26-04-21, 02:16 PM
AMD's latest GPU driver had an unexpected and unmentioned performance impact, Huge power saving during idle and media playback on RDNA2 GPU's, 72% less usage at idle and 30% less during web browsing and media playback.

https://www.techpowerup.com/281483/what-amd-didnt-tell-us-21-4-1-drivers-improve-non-gaming-power-consumption-by-up-to-72

tinytomlogan
26-04-21, 03:25 PM
AMD's latest GPU driver had an unexpected and unmentioned performance impact, Huge power saving during idle and media playback on RDNA2 GPU's, 72% less usage at idle and 30% less during web browsing and media playback.

https://www.techpowerup.com/281483/what-amd-didnt-tell-us-21-4-1-drivers-improve-non-gaming-power-consumption-by-up-to-72

Good spot dude - Ill highlight this with WYP

Bartacus
27-04-21, 09:37 PM
That driver is also wreaking havoc with overclocks, LOL! :D

looz
27-04-21, 10:19 PM
Read some rumours that the idle power savings are on 1080p60, higher bandwidth still has high idle usage - but no way for me to verify.

Dicehunter
28-04-21, 07:46 AM
World’s First Mini LED Gaming Monitor, ROG Swift PG32UQX, 4K 144 Hz NVIDIA G-Sync Ultimate, 1152 independent mini LED zones with a peak brightness of 1400 nits.

6fE7gE14GaU

Dicehunter
28-04-21, 11:14 AM
Patch 1.22 is out now for Cyberpunk 2077, Bug fixes and various performance improvements.

https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/38047/hotfix-1-22

Dicehunter
29-04-21, 03:40 PM
Crytek have released a new patch for Crysis Remastered with an interesting "Ray Tracing Boost Mode"

General
Experimental RayTracing Boost mode has been added.

RT reflections have been enabled on nearly all surfaces in game.
Ray randomization has enabled for proper support of rough surfaces.
About 5% of specular reflectance has been added by default to all surfaces.

Developer Note:
During the development of Crysis Remastered, the team came up with the concept of adding a boost to RayTracing. This boost mode is more of a fun/experimental feature that we wanted to bring to all the RayTracing enthusiasts out there, to give more effects with minimal impact on performance. This option has been added to the in-game Graphic settings menu and can only be activated when Global Raytracing option is enabled.
Link to the Crysis sub reddit -

https://www.reddit.com/r/Crysis/comments/n15onz/crysis_remastered_pc_update_212/

Dicehunter
29-04-21, 06:28 PM
New Nvidia driver, 466.27 - WHQL.

New feature and fixes in driver 466.27:

Game Ready - Game Ready for the Metro Exodus PC Enhanced Edition.

This new Game Ready Driver provides support for the Metro Exodus PC Enhanced Edition, which adds additional ray-traced effects and NVIDIA DLSS 2.0 for greater performance and improved image quality. Additionally, this release also provides optimal support for Mass Effect Legendary Edition and Resident Evil Village, along with support for 5 new G-SYNC Compatible displays.

New Features and Other Changes

Added support for DirectX 12 Agility SDK.
This driver updates the hash limiter for the GeForce RTX 3060 12GB and is required for product shipped starting mid-May

Game Ready Driver Fixes (For full list of fixes please check out release notes)

[NVIDIA Reflex][Rainbow Six Siege]: Fixed a number of performance related issues related to NVIDIA Reflex and Rainbow Six Siege.
[HDMI 2.1:] In-game FPS may be capped to the display refresh rate when "Vertical sync" is set to Off [3285334].
[Rigid Gems][Prepar3D]: The applications may crash or fail to launch.[3285067/3286874]

Game Ready Driver Important Open Issues (For full list of open issues please check out release notes)

Yellow bang with Error Code 10 appears by the NVIDIA Platform Controllers and Framework Properties in Device Manager after Express or Custom driver installation without reboot.[200716134]

Reboot the system to clear the error, otherwise Dynamic Boost cannot be enabled.

[Mortal Shell]: Unusual increase in the brightness occurs when Shadow Quality is set to Low or Medium. [200724762]

To work around, set the Shadow Quality to High or Ultra.

[Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War]: The game may crash on GeForce GTX 10 series GPUs. [200719668]
[World of Warcraft: Shadowlands]: Random flicker may occur in certain locations in the game [3206341]
[Batman Arkham Knight]: The game crashes when turbulence smoke is enabled. [3202250]
[Steam VR game]: Stuttering and lagging occur upon launching a game while any GPU hardware monitoring tool is running in the background. [3152190]
[YouTube]: Video playback stutters while scrolling down the YouTube page. [3129705]

Download - Windows 10 64 Bit (https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/drivers/results/174781/)

looz
01-05-21, 03:48 PM
Next episode in CPU vulnerabilities. Both manufacturers affected, much faster rate of leaked data.

https://www.cs.virginia.edu/venkat/papers/isca2021a.pdf

Dicehunter
01-05-21, 11:04 PM
Pretty cool RT focused benchmark free to download, Features DLSS etc...

jwsT-lE4X9Y

Download - https://perschistence.itch.io/art-mark

Password for the install is Perschistence

Warchild
02-05-21, 12:56 PM
Bobby Kotick agrees to a 50% paycut

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-04-29-activision-blizzard-ceo-bobby-kotick-takes-50-percent-pay-cut

Dicehunter
02-05-21, 02:42 PM
Alien: Isolation 2 apparently under consideration at Disney, Loved the first, Can't wait for the story continuation.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/alien-isolation-2-reportedly-development-disney/amp/

looz
02-05-21, 03:56 PM
Next episode in CPU vulnerabilities. Both manufacturers affected, much faster rate of leaked data.

https://www.cs.virginia.edu/venkat/papers/isca2021a.pdfUniversity of Virginia article about the paper: https://engineering.virginia.edu/news/2021/04/defenseless

MiNo
04-05-21, 01:48 PM
Took this screenshot of Nvidia's official (Danish) page. The green button normally would say something like "køb nu" / "Buy Now". But the button now says "Væk nu" that means "Gone now" :-D

https://i.ibb.co/qx11Rwn/gone-now.png (https://ibb.co/GFPPVjJ)

That was just too funny not to share. I suppose someone has a bit of humor at Nvidia HQ.

Dicehunter
04-05-21, 07:09 PM
3DMark has been updated with Wildlands Extreme

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/223850/view/3073120860899979012

https://i.imgur.com/ZNJSRoa.jpg

tgrech
05-05-21, 09:28 AM
Maybe a bit adjacent to the usual kinda tech news on this site but thought this was very cool, Royal Marines trying out the Gravity Industries jet suit for ship boarding/unboarding as an alternative to boarding via helicopters. The inventor/founder Richard Browning is an ex royal marine himself

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/video/2021/may/05/royal-marines-test-jet-suit-between-moving-ships-gravity-industries-video

looz
05-05-21, 04:09 PM
3DMark has been updated with Wildlands Extreme

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/223850/view/3073120860899979012

Did anyone run this? My phone got 5824, looked fairly nice for phone graphics!

Dicehunter
05-05-21, 05:00 PM
Did anyone run this? My phone got 5824, looked fairly nice for phone graphics!

I ran it and got just shy of 60,000 on extreme with my rig, Very pretty.

KingNosser
05-05-21, 06:39 PM
I like the extreme bench but the lower end one is over in the blink of an eye lol

low end 80,000 extreme 34,000 just stock.

the extreme one reminded me of 3dmark vantage bench but it looks good for what it's doing :)

WYP
05-05-21, 06:50 PM
Remember folks, this is the Quick News thread. Somebody needs to make a new 3DMARK thread for this.

Dicehunter
07-05-21, 10:03 AM
You can now try out Nvidia's Marbles RTX demo through Nvidia Omniverse, You have to download their Omniverse launcher and sign in using your Nvidia account, Same as your GFE account, But the launcher is a small download, The Marbles download is just over 3GB.

Be warned even though the system reqs are ok, It is VERY demanding.

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-omniverse-platform

https://i.imgur.com/ezNxqSl.jpg

NeverBackDown
09-05-21, 11:52 PM
AMD Chipmaker TSMC to Use AMD Chips for Chipmaking...

https://www.hpcwire.com/2021/05/08/amd-chipmaker-tsmc-to-use-amd-chips-for-chipmaking/

Dicehunter
11-05-21, 05:00 PM
HTC Vive Pro 2, Some nice specs, 120Hz refresh, Dual microphone layout, Big on ear headphones, 120' FoV and 4096x2448 resolution on a single screen, £1,299 for the HMD, Base stations and controllers.

https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-pro-2-specs-price-release-date-announcement/