Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 01-05-07, 03:47 PM

Increasing flow rate through a BIP-360

Hi guys.

I have a couple of these rads that I am fitting into an external setup. I'll be plumbing it all in with 15mm copper & compression fittings. Thinking of naming it the Kitsch-Box :rocker: .

I know they have 1/4" threads for the barbs & I have 1/4" to 15mm adapters. I've measured the ID of the fittings to be 8mm, which is pretty standard for most 1/4" fittings.

I have two options to try out in the hope of increasing the flow rate through the rads.

1. Re-drill & tap the inlets/outlets to 3/8" & use 3/8" barbs, or 3/8" to 15mm adapters. (Bought a set of BSP taps & drills especially for this project so keen to use them :eyes: ).

2. Ream out the centre of the 1/4" adapters from 8mm ID to 10mm ID, which should obviously help to increase the flow rate through each one.

My question is really, do you think this is a worthy mod or is all lost with the BIP range? I've heard many reports that they are restrictive, but is the restriction an internal issue or solely due to the small size of the connections :eh: ?

Old 01-05-07, 06:32 PM

Restriction is caused by relatively small pipes inside the rad n their design. a BIP 360 i think cause 14-15% flow restriction
Old 01-05-07, 06:44 PM

Thanks ANP.

The flat tubes made me think that the water might be slightly restricted. I was hoping that by opening up the inlets/outlets that it might help some.
Old 02-05-07, 03:08 AM

What's 15% restriction supposed to mean? They cause PRESSURE DROP, and pressure drop=more pressure before the rad=less flow...

There isn't much you can do about the restriction. Swapping out barbs won't have a noticable effect. Relocating the barbs might do a little, but its damn hard to get a barb into the super thin brass chamber at the top.
Old 02-05-07, 11:08 AM
OC3D Elite

When you say you have a couple of BIPs, how many is that? My advise would be to run them in parallel, effectively creative a section of the loop with massive volume, allowing you to crank the flow right up and use some 1/2" tube, stepped down to whatever you need after the split. If you were to do that there is no way you would be putting enough water through each BIP to notice the restrictive effects of the channels.

Old 02-05-07, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='llwyd'
When you say you have a couple of BIPs, how many is that? My advise would be to run them in parallel, effectively creative a section of the loop with massive volume, allowing you to crank the flow right up and use some 1/2" tube, stepped down to whatever you need after the split. If you were to do that there is no way you would be putting enough water through each BIP to notice the restrictive effects of the channels.
Hi Llwyd.

I will be using 2 BIP-360 Rads. My plan was to run them in parallel, so thanks for the assurance. For the external rig I wanted to do something a little different & use copper pipe, instead of the usual plastic tubing used by most. I'll use 22mm pipe to make the connections to the pump with the rest of the runs in 15mm.

I've drawn up a sketch in paint for you to show how I intend to plumb it all in. I have'nt shown it in the sketch but the kit will all be fitted in to a custom made clear perspex box. The reservoir you see I have already made out of clear perspex too.

I feel that this rig will be more than capable of cooling 2 PC's, so the finished rig will have 2 inlets & 2 outlets using 1/2" barbs.

I'll start a fresh thread in the project log area when I get time to compile the pictures.
Old 02-05-07, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='serialk11r'
Relocating the barbs might do a little, but its damn hard to get a barb into the super thin brass chamber at the top.
Hi SerialK11r.

I had considered relocating the barbs on the other side of the plenum chambers & plugging the existing G1/4" holes. The largest size thread that I found I would be able to use on the opposite side was 3/8" BSPP, & then use 3/8" BSPP fittings. But it quickly dawned on me that the chambers' walls were too thin to take any large threads.

I considered threading the existing holes to 3/8". I decided against this as I could'nt get hold of any 3/8" to 15mm compression fittings & wanted to keep all of the runs in copper. By reaming out the G1/4" fittings to 10mm i'll be getting the same ID as a 3/8" barb anyway.
Old 03-05-07, 12:31 AM
OC3D Elite

yep i agree with winmxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
Is it wrong that I'm enjoying this
-----------------------------------------------------------

Old 03-05-07, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='deathwish'
yep i agree with winmxer
Aaww, thanks Deathwish. :bow:

I appreciate criticisms as much as praise. This is my first real venture in WC'ing & I wanna do it well. I bought a crappy pre-built 3R-Systems setup from eBay for £30 ages ago, what a mistake that was. Not all bad though, as it was the catalyst that made me decide to make my own setup.
Old 03-05-07, 04:47 AM

For anyone that's interested i've started a project log for the Kitsch Box. I'll be adding pictures & stuff in the next few days so please be patient.