Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 21-03-07, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Project: Give my ears peace

I originally intended to watercool my current PC to make it as quiet as possible but I gave up because the case just isn't big enough. So I thought I'll buy a slightly bigger case, hence the Lian Li PC-G70B . At the moment G70 projects seem to be like buses, you wait ages and then two appear at the same time lol. Speaking of buses, this is one HUGE case. Anyway, my list of watercooling stuff is fairly typical but since I'll be doing some things differently I thought I would start a new project build thread.

So here's a list of the stuff that I have:

Current PC

Small useless case

DFI nF4 SLI-D

AMD X2 4200+ @stock

OCZ EL PC-4000 GX 2x1Gb @stock

eVGA 7800GT CO 256MB @stock

X-Fi XtremeMusic

WD2500KS

WD740GD

LG GSA-4167B

Viewsonic VX924

(I'm running everything on stock settings at the moment but will overclock-the-nuts-out-of-it later on)

Watercooling stuff

[CPU block]........Swiftech Storm

[GPU block]........Swiftech MCW60

[chipset block]...MIPS DFI Lanparty Freezer

[radiator]..........ThermoChill PA120.3

[pump]..............Laing DDC-1 Ultra with Petra's Top

[tubing].............7/16" ID (5/8" OD) Masterkleer

Noise-reducing stuff (at least compared to what I'm using at the moment)

[fans]................6 x Yate Loon D12SL-12

[fan controller]....2 x Akasa fan controller Jr

[soundproofing]...AcoustiPack Deluxe (v2) Acoustic Material Kit (I bought this stuff ages ago and then discovered there wasn't any room for it in my old case lol)

As you can see, nothing special so far. However, I plan to mount my rad externally on the top of my case which I suppose is a bit controversial. I originally considered mounting the rad inside on the bottom of the case, then I changed my mind to the inside of the top panel, then I changed my mind again. I know putting the rad externally doesn't look as 'clean' but this way you get the best of both worlds; the rad uses the cooler air from outside the case but doesn't exhaust the 'warm' air into the case and so you can run the case fans at much lower rpm (that's my strange reasoning anyway). I'm not so much bothered about how it looks compared to how it sounds.

I was talking to my dad the other day about how I was going to make my computer much more quiet and he just looked at me for a few seconds and said "Why don't you just buy a set of headphones?" Ah, priceless! :rollingla I guess you had to be there. Those of you who watch Top Gear will be familiar with 'Captain Slow'. That's me, that is. However, I'm aiming to finish this build over the next few weeks so I'll try to keep this thread updated regularly with new pics and so on.

Anyway, here's a pic of what I've done so far, got to start somewhere...

[Lian Li PC-G70B case disassembled. I've heatshrinked the front LED and switch wires together.]

Stay tuned...

Old 21-03-07, 10:59 PM
OC3D Elite

Looking forward to updates mate.

Good too see you still rocking 939 too. Best.Socket.Yet.
Old 21-03-07, 11:02 PM
OC3D Elite

stormizbad.

Get D-Tek Fuzion or Apogee GTX or GTFO

Sony VAIO CS110E 14.1" :: Core 2 Duo T5800

3GB DDR2-800 :: 250GB HDD :: Intel Media Accelerator

HTPC

Gateway GT4024 :: Intel Pentium D 805 :: 1GB DDR2-667

700GB of Storage :: ATi Xpess200 :: Sharp AQUOS 32" 720p

Old 21-03-07, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='NickS'
stormizbad.

Get D-Tek Fuzion or Apogee GTX or GTFO
I bought the Storm a little while before the Fusion and the GTX came out . I'll give it a try and see what my temps are like, my pump has a pretty high head anyway. I still think the Storm is king for de-lidded 939 chips even if it does kill your flow rate!
Old 21-03-07, 11:49 PM
OC3D Elite

Read right by the 939 part heh, just assumed you were going C2D. You are correct though, Storm is better than the newer blocks for bare cored CPU's by a large margin.

Sony VAIO CS110E 14.1" :: Core 2 Duo T5800

3GB DDR2-800 :: 250GB HDD :: Intel Media Accelerator

HTPC

Gateway GT4024 :: Intel Pentium D 805 :: 1GB DDR2-667

700GB of Storage :: ATi Xpess200 :: Sharp AQUOS 32" 720p

Old 22-03-07, 12:11 AM

Nice mate looking forwqard to updates on this. Sexy Lian Li ftw
Old 24-03-07, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Since there needs to be a small uniform gap between the case top panel and the rad to allow air intake, I decided to make some stand-offs. I bought some M3 threaded rod since this width fits snugly through the pre-drilled fan holes on the PA120.3. I also bought some hollow 1cm long nylon spacers that had enough clearance for M3 rod. You can just use nuts to set the spacing but the nylon spacers will help hide the threaded rod. Finally, some M3 nuts and nylon washers too. I spray painted some of the the nylon spacers black which didn't go too well so I just coloured 'em in with a black Sharpie marker!

[Materials for rad stand-offs: M3 threaded rod, 1cm nylon spacers, M3 nuts and M3 nylon washers.]

Using a Dremel and the cutting disc attachment I cut the threaded rod into 10 pieces that were about 3cm long (turns out that my safety margin was far too safe and will need to trim them) and 2 pieces about 1cm long. The rear-most pair of fan holes on the rad will lie directly above the power supply so I didn't want to use full length stand-offs going through the case. Here's a pic with the stand-offs attached to the rad.

[PA120.3 with stand-offs attached.]

[Threaded rod is attached by nut->washer->radiator->washer->nut.]

Sorry for the poor quality picture from my mobile.

Stay tuned...
Old 27-03-07, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Now the tricky part...

I didn't feel confident taking a drill to my new case so I managed to get hold of a spare top panel. Just one problem, it's the wrong colour. Nothing a bit of spray paint can't fix, eh?

I drilled the 10 stand-off holes with a 3mm drill bit and the 2 holes for the tubing with a 3/4" hole-saw. I also cut a small square between two stand-off holes in order to route the fan cables into the case. I love that Dremel.

[Silver G70 top panel with holes for stand-offs and tubing drilled.]

The rad stand-offs go through their holes in the top panel no problem but the barbs + tubing take a bit of persuasion to go through since I've drilled their holes slightly too far forward. Only by 1mm or so, I can trim it back easily enough. Forgot to take a pic of this assembled but I might add one in later.

Stay tuned...
Old 28-03-07, 08:00 AM

Looking good so far mate. I'll stand by
Old 30-03-07, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Well, spray painting my top panel didn't exactly go to plan but I've sanded it down and will give it another coat soon.

The fan cables looked a bit untidy so I took off the power connectors and added some black 7mm heatshrink. Once shrunk with a hairdryer it makes a really nice fit. Quality, I think I'll heatshrink/sleeve my PSU cables black as well. Oh, and I coloured in the power connectors with a black Sharpie marker.

[Yate Loon D12SL-12 with the fan cables heatshrinked.]

Stay tuned...