Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 21-03-07, 07:04 PM
OC3D Elite

OC3D Review: Bigfoot Networks Killer NIC & Killer K1 Network Cards

"Today we've been given the opportunity to take a look at Bigfoot Network's "Killer NIC" and "Killer K1" Gaming Network Cards. With promises of lower pings and increased FPS though its 'LLR' technology, will these card live up to their $180+ price tag."

Read the full review.

Old 21-03-07, 07:50 PM
OC3D Crew

Well its a sweet review.
Old 21-03-07, 08:08 PM

Great review and technology insight.

Nice one XMS
Old 21-03-07, 08:25 PM
OC3D Elite

innovation?

I just looked thru the graphs and laughed at their promo stuff at the beginning. Not sure how it is an innovation?

The idea of sharing the load is ok (3years ago), but the fps test doesn't prove anything (in that it is a graph over time periods). The same with the ping graphs. Altho neither shows a significant difference

The 1ms 'gained' could be due to other factors. (avg gain or loss. 0.9ms)

The same with the fps. (avg gain. 5.6fps)

'Sharing the load' on a dual core system isn't really going to make much difference tbh also what happened to all the software stuff they have been boasting about.

I know I sound like I'm being aggressive or whatever but at the end of the day it's a overpriced NIC (10x the normal price?) with a router spec processor on it (based on routers than can be had for £8-£45).

One thing the tests do prove is that their own marketing tests were probably done on a low spec system.

Not sure how it ends with 70%

Still a good review, even if it is more like an advert (Given the masses of marketing info)

i5-2500K @ 4.8Ghz | 8G DDR3 | P8Z68-V GEN3 | Archlinux | Win7
Old 21-03-07, 08:30 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to FragTek Send a message via MSN to FragTek Send a message via Yahoo to FragTek
Great review, stupid piece of hardware.
Old 21-03-07, 08:31 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='FragTek'
Great review,stupid piece of hardware.
idd haha

glad someone agrees

Old 21-03-07, 08:46 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='equk'
I just looked thru the graphs and laughed at their promo stuff at the beginning. Not sure how it is an innovation?
The reason the card got an innovation award is literally because the first product of its type that has been brought to the market. Sure there are server class nic's that may do a similar thing, but still Bigfoot have put a lot of work into the card regardless whether it pays off on a high spec system or not.

Quote:

'Sharing the load' on a dual core system isn't really going to make much difference tbh also what happened to all the software stuff they have been boasting about.
Agreed. A large portion of the Killer NIC technology will make very little difference to a Dual core system (pretty much as seen in the graphs).

Quote:

I know I sound like I'm being aggressive or whatever but at the end of the day it's a overpriced NIC (10x the normal price?) with a router spec processor on it (based on routers than can be had for £8-£45).

One thing the tests do prove is that their own marketing tests were probably done on a low spec system.
Agreed.

Quote:

Not sure how it ends with 70%
The final score was weighted in exactly the same way as all other reviews on OC3D. It just happens that it done exceptionally well in Presentation that it bumped up the score above the ~60% (but still presentation only counts for 10% total, Pricing 30%, Performance 60%).

Quote:

Still a good review, even if it is more like an advert (Given the masses of marketing info)
Thanks, and I'm disappointed you found it to be like an advert. I was merely explaining the technology behind the card. I'd hope that readers who have never encountered the Killer NIC before may find it useful.
Old 21-03-07, 09:07 PM
OC3D Elite

New Advert:

Before:

(nice grammar - to keeping up)

After:

Old 21-03-07, 10:08 PM
OC3D Elite

LOL nice one equk.

Sony VAIO CS110E 14.1" :: Core 2 Duo T5800

3GB DDR2-800 :: 250GB HDD :: Intel Media Accelerator

HTPC

Gateway GT4024 :: Intel Pentium D 805 :: 1GB DDR2-667

700GB of Storage :: ATi Xpess200 :: Sharp AQUOS 32" 720p

Old 22-03-07, 12:15 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the review XMS, I've been waiting patiently ever since your "Need your help on this next one..." thread! I think you hit it on the head when you said "[is] spending ~$200 on a network card ... the most cost effective way of gaining an FPS increase?" I guess most people would get more bang-per-buck from more RAM, better CPU, GPU or even ISP.

Interestingly, the topmost screenshot on page 4 of your review shows an option menu with a 'Promiscuous Mode: Disabled' setting. Is the other setting 'Sven-Göran Eriksson' by any chance?