Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old 18-02-07, 06:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Where can I buy erythromycin?

My aquarium has now been infested with Cyanobacterium algae for about half a year now and i've tried everything under the sun, apart from this.

Quote:
"Blue-green algae" is not really a true algae at all, but Cyanobacteria - a group of bacteria capable of photosynthesis. It can appear as a slimy coating in a number of different colours. It can smother plants and may release toxins harmful to fish. It can fix nitrogen and may therefore occur in tanks with zero or very low nitrates (but possibly high levels of other nutrients, particularly phosphate). It can be removed manually quite easily, as it often forms loose sheets, but it's likely to return quickly. Improving circulation/aeration in the tank sometimes causes it to decline. It can be treated with erythromycin (200mg/10 gallons) - this may however affect the filter bacteria, so it will be necessary to check for ammonia and nitrite after dosing.
Although I dont think you can get this kind of stuff in the UK, and ive seen plenty of US sites. Anybody order prescriptions etc. wanna recommend me an easy to use cheap site? I only need 370mg of the stuff per treatment, hell it might go first treatment so obviously i wont need 1000mgs of the stuff

Cheers overseas overclock3rs!

Old 18-02-07, 06:27 PM
OC3D Crew

Also available as a treatment for Acne....just use some felt pens and scribble some fake zits on your face...

Go and visit your GP...

JOB DONE!
Old 18-02-07, 06:30 PM
OC3D Elite

haha, something tells me theres a difference between real zits and fake ones, maybe a whole dimension (2d opposed to 3d )
Old 18-02-07, 06:51 PM

Not sure were you can get the stuff but just a word of warning. If you are repeatedly using antibiotics to kill off bacteria you can encourage resistant bacteria. Basically if you dont kill every last one each time the ones left will be the ones which are naturally slightly resistant. Therefore they are the ones which will multiply and need the next treatment, after repeating this you can see what might happen. That said I know nothing about aquariums my experience is in medicine so this may not apply.

Dave
Old 18-02-07, 06:54 PM
OC3D Elite

I've only tried algaecides once, other times ive used anti phosphates to absorb phosphates and an oxidiser to oxidise any organic medium feeding the bacteria.
Old 18-02-07, 09:42 PM
OC3D Elite

Don't you get those sucker fish to eat the scum that grows in the tanks??
Old 18-02-07, 09:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='jiffz'
Don't you get those sucker fish to eat the scum that grows in the tanks??
We had one of them, he ate the other fish aswell though...
Old 18-02-07, 09:56 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Ham'
We had one of them, he ate the other fish aswell though...
Hahah! Gulp...

I didn't think sucker fish ate other fish.. Like the shark that only eats panton.. But not fish.

Learn a new thing every day!
Old 19-02-07, 07:22 AM
OC3D Elite

The problem is, its not "normal" algae, its a special bacterial growth formed algae which can release toxins etc. and its a total pain as it comes back in a matter of days after removing it all.