Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 18-01-07, 09:51 PM
OC3D Elite

Possible Blu-ray title/volume key exploit *maybe* found on PS3

This hasnt been confirmed by many people, but 3 have said theyv'e done it.

As you know HD-DVD was 'hacked'. Using title/volume keys of HD-DVD releases it's possible to backup the movie on your PC HDD. A similar hack should be possible for Blu-ray as it uses the same AACS system. HDTVblogger.com now claims there's a way to retrieve title/volume keys of Blu-ray discs with the PS3:

Quote:

I have received numerous (more than 3) independent reports that an exploit has been found on the PS3 that will reveal the title/volume keys for Blu-ray disks using a PS3. The procedure involves some minor modding of the boot process and Linux.

I have not been told of the exact process but the information makes it seem that the process is not that difficult once you know what you are doing and the lengthy steps are duplicated.
Source

Old 18-01-07, 10:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Surely they must realize, by now, that whatever they ever come out with - EVER - there will always be some1 in a bedroom somewhere that will always find a way of copying it ?

These people need to look forward more in terms of their techology advances rather than trying to kid themselves.

Who knows what technologies for "TV" or cinematics film storage are being held back over the thoughts of how they`re going to stop people from copying the media.

Old 18-01-07, 10:34 PM
OC3D Elite

Yea seriously, all this copyright crap and anti-pirating is going over board. And now that this is out, they will probably stop tech to try and stop this too.
Old 19-01-07, 05:37 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='PP Mguire'
Yea seriously, all this copyright crap and anti-pirating is going over board. And now that this is out, they will probably stop tech to try and stop this too.
A company does have a right to protect it's intellectual property and investment.
Old 19-01-07, 05:39 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='PV5150'
A company does have a right to protect it's intellectual property and investment.
Yea, I agree with PV. If you created something, would you want people to steal it and make copies of it that you don't want them to be making?
Old 19-01-07, 09:03 AM
OC3D Elite

What is created by human can be cracked by human!
Old 19-01-07, 09:39 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Toxcity'
What is created by human can be cracked by human!
Qft tbh.
Old 19-01-07, 09:49 AM
OC3D Elite

I cant speak for software but on music if somebody downloaded my bands music id be flatterd. Some things just arent about money and greed. Where DVDs are concernd i believe they make enough money in theaters to counteract what gets pirated. (In this case Blu-Ray movies)
Old 19-01-07, 09:54 AM

I wouldn't be flattered if somebody is stealing (that is what it is) my money
Old 19-01-07, 10:00 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
I cant speak for software but on music if somebody downloaded my bands music id be flatterd. Some things just arent about money and greed. Where DVDs are concernd i believe they make enough money in theaters to counteract what gets pirated. (In this case Blu-Ray movies)
Your argument is a little flawed mate. If you are a fledgling band trying to make a name for yourself and accrue a fan base, then of course you wouldn't be fussed. Many bands trying to make a name for themselves make their music available for free download. If you had deadlines to meet, staff to pay, bank managers to keep happy with your overdraft or loan repayments...I think you wouldn't be so eager to give away your profit.