Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 29-08-14, 03:56 PM
The Guvnor

ASUS X99 ROG Rampage V Extreme Review

With a new flagship chipset we get a new flagship ASUS motherboard. Welcome to the OC3D Rampage V Extreme review.

ASUS X99 ROG Rampage V Extreme Review

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 29-08-14, 05:06 PM

What is the latency when overclocked in AIDA?
Old 29-08-14, 07:48 PM

Great review as always, what a wonderful motherboard. I'm a proud Rampage Extremer.

Quote:
"EPIC!" - Tom, 2014
Old 29-08-14, 10:23 PM

Could Kiss you.

Tommy Tommy Tommy, if you were here and now, I would kiss you.
Thank you for this review, this is what I have been waiting for. And I assure you, the wait was worth it. From across the pond, and from the bottom of my heart, thank you.
Old 30-08-14, 06:05 AM

I wonder what the motherboard heatsink mounting holes are like for this one compared to other asus X99 motherboards. Wouldn't it be nice and convenient if it turns out they are in the same places meaning you could use something like say a motherboard/cpu combo waterblock that is made for the R5E on all asus X99 motherboards.

If only someone could check to confirm and perhaps even make a video on it?
Old 30-08-14, 11:21 AM

PCIe layout

Strange: If you fancy a SLI setup - and would like full bandwith to both your cards (PEIe 3.0 x16) - then you are left with zero PCIe slots.

As I understand it, we are on the verge of seeing lots PCie connected storage as new standards have been finalized (NVMe). These require PCIe 3.0 x4 interfaces and that will not be possible on this board if you run SLI.

I doubt storage on the M2 interface will work for desktop users. Firstly, is was designed for laptops/tables in mind - and it does not seem line more than one connector is available on the boards who does have this interface.

So what we we supposed to use, if the SATA 3.0 max of 600 MB/Sec is not enough. PICe storage - that is what.
Old 30-08-14, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

I made it to the end, so where's my cookie?!?! Great video for such a short time frame Tom, but you missed a lot of slides in several places (the long stretch from 22 minutes to 24 minutes was most noticeable). Not a complaint Guv, just a heads up. Great work as usual, especially considering the sleep deprivation you had to endure for it.
GPU2 - NexXxoS v2 / 360 rad x 4 / dual D5 vario pumps
Old 30-08-14, 09:01 PM
on probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNo View Post
Strange: If you fancy a SLI setup - and would like full bandwith to both your cards (PEIe 3.0 x16) - then you are left with zero PCIe slots.

As I understand it, we are on the verge of seeing lots PCie connected storage as new standards have been finalized (NVMe). These require PCIe 3.0 x4 interfaces and that will not be possible on this board if you run SLI.

I doubt storage on the M2 interface will work for desktop users. Firstly, is was designed for laptops/tables in mind - and it does not seem line more than one connector is available on the boards who does have this interface.

So what we we supposed to use, if the SATA 3.0 max of 600 MB/Sec is not enough. PICe storage - that is what.
Good thing PCIe 3.0 x4 interfaces don't exist yet. Only in 2.0. Sata Express is enough for the time being. NVMe won't come out for probably a couple years or more. Standards being finalized is a long way off from designing/manufacturing/testing/back to design/etc..
Old 30-08-14, 10:53 PM

Funny you should say that, as I was reading up on Intel Solid-State Drive DC P3500 Series earlier today!

Granted, they are aimed at Data centers, but ofter we see that kinds of tech for desktops soon after. It mentions use of PCIe Gen3 X4 (so what is that, if it does not exist?) and also the new Non-Volatile Memory Express* (NVMe*) storage interface standard.

Check it out at http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...-for-pcie.html
Old 31-08-14, 05:45 AM
OC3D Crew

Shut up and take my money!