Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 21-07-14, 11:39 AM
News Guru

Elite: Dangerous - Have we found the next Crysis?

Upcoming game Elite: Dangerous will come with visuals that you won't be able to run with your current hardware, sound familiar?

Read more about Frontier Development's Elite: Dangerous here

Old 21-07-14, 11:44 AM
The Webmaster

We'll see, so far it's VERY well optimised, I'm quite enjoying it as well 29th is Standard beta week which can be joined for £50. Even though they haven't got SLi working, I still get very respectable FPS using just a single card, even with 3 screens it runs beautifully.

It would be great if it really was a system taxer, I mean it's a bloody beautiful looking and sounding game. I'd love to see them turn it all the way up to 11 or even 12 by the sounds of what David has been saying
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | NZXT Hale 90 v2 1000w | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Pure - White | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702 Reference Headphones | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm Headphones | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 21-07-14, 11:57 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
We'll see, so far it's VERY well optimised, I'm quite enjoying it as well 29th is Standard beta week which can be joined for £50. Even though they haven't got SLi working, I still get very respectable FPS using just a single card, even with 3 screens it runs beautifully.

It would be great if it really was a system taxer, I mean it's a bloody beautiful looking and sounding game. I'd love to see them turn it all the way up to 11 or even 12 by the sounds of what David has been saying
So you've been playing it then? Whats lit like gameplay wise?

I too hope it is a system taxer, we need a game to push the envelope again.
Its nice to see a proper PC graphical showcase.
Old 21-07-14, 12:07 PM
born in a.....

Heck, its everything Star Citizen wants to be. Good to see a Cambridge dev doing the best :'). I'm going to get it at the end of the month.

It'll be the first game in ages that is taxing for a reason.
Old 21-07-14, 12:23 PM
The Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsyerproblem View Post
So you've been playing it then? Whats lit like gameplay wise?

I too hope it is a system taxer, we need a game to push the envelope again.
Its nice to see a proper PC graphical showcase.
Gameplay is superb, obviously it's just coming into Public beta now and they're releasing the content in small doses, very incremental, but the flight model is excellent. It's not gimicky and feels well rooted, dogfighting in space is brilliant and isn't 'mouse turret wins all'. It does feel a little like fighting in an atmosphere based jet by default, but this kind of works, feels very like X-Wing Alliance in that respect.

You can turn on a more nutonian based flight model at the push of a button and can easily play that way, anyone who masters normal flight/dogfighting in that mode will easily beat the others who don't put the effort in

The Joystick / Hotas controls feel excellent, and the game looks and most of all sounds, amazing.

It's not hugely taxing for a top-end rig at the minute in honesty, but I don't think they've turned on the higher-end assets yet, and certainly not the full view distance settings. But it's always improving.

£100 for the premium beta (play it now mode) seems like a lot, but for that you're getting the full game, all it's DLC (any made, ever, EVER!) it's expected to have a 10+ year lifespan (that's their goal) so really, it's not that bad, there will be no subscription fee, ever. And it won't be pay-to-win ever either.
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | NZXT Hale 90 v2 1000w | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Pure - White | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702 Reference Headphones | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm Headphones | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Old 21-07-14, 12:36 PM
News Guru

Quote:
[INSERT WORDS HERE]
So far you have me sold mate, but my policy ATM is not to pre order games.

Would it be possible to record some gameplay for us (if you beta guys are aloud of-course). It would be nice to compare current beta to E3.
Old 21-07-14, 12:59 PM
The Webmaster

Sure, I've got some archive footage on my Twitch if you want to look at that, no talking, just flying about trading and being pulled out of super-cruise (more frequently than you will in the full-game I might add, as it's all for testing).

I'll be happy to make more footage if you guys want to see it?

Edit: Somewhat annoyingly the footage has gone from twitch. I'll get some more done soon for sure
Old 21-07-14, 01:01 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Sure, I've got some archive footage on my Twitch if you want to look at that, no talking, just flying about trading and being pulled out of super-cruise (more frequently than you will in the full-game I might add, as it's all for testing).

I'd love to see!

Could you link your twitch to see the archive? It will silence the voice in my head that says "E3 footage, Watch Dogs, lies!".

I'm getting really hyped for this!
Old 21-07-14, 01:03 PM
born in a.....

Quote:

Edit: Somewhat annoyingly the footage has gone from twitch. I'll get some more done soon for sure
Please do! I've seen a few videos, including a guy running it a 1400p on Youtube and it seems to be really well optimised currently considering he was only running a 7970.
Old 21-07-14, 01:03 PM
The Webmaster

haha yeah I'll link you up once i have footage, the ones i had have been disapeared.. even though I'm pretty sure i highlighted em...

There's a twitch stream up every friday as well i'll find that for you later

edit: @barnsley sure I will try and stream triple screens but I don't think it'l look great, failing that i'll try n capture it somehow. But it runs a dream at 1200p

I'll set something up this week and stream it live, and have comments open so you guys can just tell me where to fly if you like ?