Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 11-07-14, 02:12 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is online now
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,552
AMD Catalyst 14.7 Releases, without Windows 8 Support?

AMD are dropping Windows 8 support in all new versions of of their Catalyst drivers. Better Update to 8.1



Read more here

__________________
This Forum is a Family, remember that Siblings play nice.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-07-14, 02:23 PM
barnsley's Avatar
barnsley barnsley is offline
born in a.....
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 8,426
Nothing about stability though . I'm hoping its waay better than 14.4 was. Really shook my confidence in AMD drivers after having no issues for years.
__________________
Rig: i7 4770k@4GHZ|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904|240gb+512gb Samsung evo 840| ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-07-14, 05:32 PM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ye Olde England
Posts: 9,327
Does anyone really still use 8.0 though ?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-07-14, 06:12 PM
cooperman's Avatar
cooperman cooperman is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK/west-mids
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Does anyone really still use 8.0 though ?
Not here...
__________________
i5 4690-Gigabyte Z97P-D3-16Gbs 1866Mhz Kinston HyperX Fury Black-Asus r9 290 dcu ii-Corsair h80i-sandisk 256gb ultra plus-WD Blue 500gb-Seasonic M12-620w-Cooler master haf xb.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-07-14, 07:15 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is online now
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: In the Cloud
Posts: 9,812
Considering its only a beta driver its not really a big deal. Just from here on out no more support for it. Which makes it easier on the driver team since its one less thing to worry about.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-07-14, 10:49 PM
MadShadow MadShadow is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: St Andrews, Scotland
Posts: 3,746
I think this is a good thing. Keeps people up to date with the current OS even if they dont like it. 8.1 is better anyway
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-07-14, 10:55 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is online now
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenShadow View Post
I think this is a good thing. Keeps people up to date with the current OS even if they dont like it. 8.1 is better anyway
Pretty much anyone on 8 should have upgraded by now, and anyone who hasn't are not PC gamers anyway.

Makes me think a Windows 7 vs Windows 8.1 comparison is needed here, I personally don't know which is better for gaming TBH. That being said I'm not going to buy a Windows 8 Key anytime soon even it is better.
__________________
This Forum is a Family, remember that Siblings play nice.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-07-14, 11:04 PM
MadShadow MadShadow is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: St Andrews, Scotland
Posts: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsyerproblem View Post
Pretty much anyone on 8 should have upgraded by now, and anyone who hasn't are not PC gamers anyway.

Makes me think a Windows 7 vs Windows 8.1 comparison is needed here, I personally don't know which is better for gaming TBH. That being said I'm not going to buy a Windows 8 Key anytime soon even it is better.
Windows 8 is faster for almost everything. Boot times and such are great. In gaming, maybe slightly better performance, but not much.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-07-14, 11:09 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is online now
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenShadow View Post
Windows 8 is faster for almost everything. Boot times and such are great. In gaming, maybe slightly better performance, but not much.
Good to know, I'll need to speak to Tom but maybe I can convince him to find a Windows 8.1 Key so we can get numbers to back your words up.

I'd be interested how things change. Cinebench, PCMARK, 3DMARK and then a few games. Would be an interesting bit of content for the site, and a good topic of discussion once the results come in.
__________________
This Forum is a Family, remember that Siblings play nice.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-07-14, 11:15 PM
MadShadow MadShadow is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: St Andrews, Scotland
Posts: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsyerproblem View Post
Good to know, I'll need to speak to Tom but maybe I can convince him to find a Windows 8.1 Key so we can get numbers to back your words up.

I'd be interested how things change. Cinebench, PCMARK, 3DMARK and then a few games. Would be an interesting bit of content for the site, and a good topic of discussion once the results come in.
Yep, I'd enjoy seeing all of the benefits in actual numbers like boot times, benchmarks, games, render times, etc.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump








All times are GMT. The time now is 01:21 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.