Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 02-07-14, 04:34 PM
News Guru

Samsung 850 Pro SSD - A New SSD with New NAND

Presenting the Samsung 850 Pro SSD, featuring cutting edge v-NAND.

Continue reading here

Old 02-07-14, 04:56 PM
OC3D Elite

Its awesome that you are getting to post reviews on the front page now. They are always really great.
Old 02-07-14, 05:08 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenShadow View Post
Its awesome that you are getting to post reviews on the front page now. They are always really great.
Cheers mate, it is good to be appreciated. So far I'm only doing the occasional news story, I'm not a reviewer.... yet.
Old 02-07-14, 05:22 PM
OC3D Crew

I read an article about these earlier in the week and thought meh... i'll feel the need to get excited when I see numbers. Now they've come to light I kinda fail to see whats impressive in any way. Pretty normal speeds and pretty normal prices? And if the endurance testing that's been going down is anything to go by Samsungs 150TB is relatively insignificant as well.

Should I have greeted this article with more excitement? Or are samsung just making a normal SSD with a normal price in a slightly different way that doesn't matter to anyone?

JR
Old 02-07-14, 05:31 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR23 View Post
I read an article about these earlier in the week and thought meh... i'll feel the need to get excited when I see numbers. Now they've come to light I kinda fail to see whats impressive in any way. Pretty normal speeds and pretty normal prices? And if the endurance testing that's been going down is anything to go by Samsungs 150TB is relatively insignificant as well.

Should I have greeted this article with more excitement? Or are samsung just making a normal SSD with a normal price in a slightly different way that doesn't matter to anyone?

JR
While the improvements made over previous generations of Samsung SSDs is slight, bear in mind that SSDs are limited by the SATA interface.

There is also the fact that peak performance is found in all the drives, including the 128GB variant which is impressive as the 128GBs are usually if not always the lower performer.

Hopefully we will see a m.2 drove or PCI-E SSD to really see how much performance gain there is. Alongside that there is also power saving and it opens the possibility of a future >1TB SSD.

When we see this in GPUs things will get interesting...
Old 02-07-14, 06:25 PM
I give BAD advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsyerproblem View Post
While the improvements made over previous generations of Samsung SSDs is slight, bear in mind that SSDs are limited by the SATA interface.

There is also the fact that peak performance is found in all the drives, including the 128GB variant which is impressive as the 128GBs are usually if not always the lower performer.

Hopefully we will see a m.2 drove or PCI-E SSD to really see how much performance gain there is. Alongside that there is also power saving and it opens the possibility of a future >1TB SSD.

When we see this in GPUs things will get interesting...
And CPUs. That's probably were more performance will be at first since the CPU handles and distributes all tasks.
Old 02-07-14, 10:18 PM

Damn you Samsung! DAMN YOU TO HELL! My SSD is not even 3 months old (maybe? Not sure to be honest) and they release this *cries*

On the plus side though not bad on the prices considering it is new tech.

Stoner81.
Old 03-07-14, 01:15 AM
I give BAD advise

Also forgot to mention earlier. Its based off a 40nm process and not 30nm as it states in the review, silly typos
Old 03-07-14, 08:17 AM

I really want to see this 3D NAND on an NVMe PCIe drive with a crazy controller (DC P3500 style)..
Old 03-07-14, 08:59 PM

Looks like a small improvement on the 840 Pro, which to be fair is an amazing drive.

I think they need to look to getting them on PCIe for further performance gains - the bus is saturated. Or - what would be cool - is two SATA connectors on each drive - a ready-made RAID 0