Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 22-06-14, 02:45 PM
News Guru

Crytek could go Bankrupt

German Videogame magazine "Gamestar" has reported that Crytek is in deep financial trouble and could be facing bankruptcy in the near future.

Crytek, famous for their Cryengine and the Crysis game series, has been having difficulty getting developers to adopt the company's game engine CRYENGINE.

Not only has CRYENGINE adoption been bad but their XBOX One exclusive RYSE was catastrophic for the studio, forcing the company to recruit more people to meet the next gen consoles launch. This Combined with the fact that the game did not meet sale expectations means that Crytek is not in a good financial state.

Things are not looking good here for Crytek, but Avni Yerli (Crytek Founder ) claimed that a cash injection for the company is finally imminent (with a contract to be signed really soon). If this cash injection doesn't come through a lot of big publishers will be waiting for Crytek's demise in order to sign the talent in he studio and the IPs Crytek currently owns.

The Gamestar report also claimed that many of Crytek's employees have already started looking for other jobs in the industry and that salaries have been paid late.

In short, this may be the end of the Crytek we know them.

This is a sad state of affairs, given that Cryengine is known as one of the most well optimized engines at this time and that us PC gamers will lose a studio that have always pushed graphical boundaries... well perhaps not Crysis 2 but you get the picture.

At present the future of the company is hidden in a big cloud of smoke, and once the dust settles we may not have the same Crytek that we once knew.

As always please post your thoughts and feelings below and thanks for reading.

Source - dsogaming

Old 22-06-14, 02:53 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
one of the most well optimized engines
Someone seems to not know the meaning of the word 'optimized'.
Oh well, i won't feel pity for anyone in bed with EA.
Leopold Tenkeyless MX Brown // Steelseries Rival // Steelseries QCK+
Beyerdynamics DT 990 // FiiO E10 // Asus VG248QE // Asus VE228
Old 22-06-14, 02:53 PM
OC3D Crew

WOW!

I hope something happens where they don't end up being bought out by Activision.

Hopefully they will get the cash injection they need.

I always look forward to the Crytek games as I know when they come, my pc will finally be pushed by a game because of the graphics looking the way they do, and not just because the game is not optimized properly.
Old 22-06-14, 03:05 PM
OC3D Elite

Charlie Demerjian of Semiaccurate was saying a while back that there was a major game engine developer hurting badly financially. The meat of the his article is behind their paywall though.
http://semiaccurate.com/2014/03/28/m...rious-problem/

Now we know who it is I guess.

Old 22-06-14, 03:17 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekaX View Post
Well the current Cryengine, or even the last one Cryengine 3 are able to get fantastic visuals from even moderate hardware.

Crysis 3 on low or medium settings did look good. Don't mistake demanding for not well optimized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
Charlie Demerjian of Semiaccurate was saying a while back that there was a major game engine developer hurting badly financially. The meat of the his article is behind their paywall though.
http://semiaccurate.com/2014/03/28/m...rious-problem/

Now we know who it is I guess.
Yeah, Ryse didn't reflect good on the Cryengine and Crytek sank far too much money into it. It will be a shame if anything happened to Cryengine, it has great potential.
Old 22-06-14, 03:22 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekaX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsyerproblem View Post
Don't mistake demanding for not well optimized.
+1

There's a difference between "Un-optimized" and "Ahead of its time" Crysis 1 still looks good because it was an amazing engine, Crysis 2 ran pretty ok when it first came out and looked ok too but was dumbed down for consoles, Crysis 3 ran well and looks amazing.

The only reason any of those games wouldn't run well on systems is if you were using a low end CPU and GPU even when Crysis 1 came out I was running a Q6600 @ 3.40GHZ, 4GB ram and an 8800 GTX overclocked nicely, Ran crysis 1 very well at max settings no AA.

The Watch Dogs engine, Now that is unoptimized.

Old 22-06-14, 03:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Having worked with UE4, CE3/2, UE3, unity and source i can 100% tell you that CE3 is one of the best optimized engines in the business.

Crytek have a bunch of licensed games coming out so I'm 100% they will be fine.

Evolve
star citizen
homefront

I haven't cared about a single game from crytek since crysis 1, i guess that's the really big issue here.
Even after undercutting UE4's subscription they still need to popularise the engine so they don't go under, they need to drop these bullshit linear titles and create something vast and new.

At the moment, crytek are a tech demo company.

Laptop
[i7-4710MQ | 16GB | 500GB SEVO | GTX 860M]
Old 22-06-14, 03:50 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsyerproblem View Post
Well the current Cryengine, or even the last one Cryengine 3 are able to get fantastic visuals from even moderate hardware.

Crysis 3 on low or medium settings did look good. Don't mistake demanding for not well optimized.

Yeah, Ryse didn't reflect good on the Cryengine and Crytek sank far too much money into it. It will be a shame if anything happened to Cryengine, it has great potential.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
+1

There's a difference between "Un-optimized" and "Ahead of its time" Crysis 1 still looks good because it was an amazing engine, Crysis 2 ran pretty ok when it first came out and looked ok too but was dumbed down for consoles, Crysis 3 ran well and looks amazing.

The only reason any of those games wouldn't run well on systems is if you were using a low end CPU and GPU even when Crysis 1 came out I was running a Q6600 @ 3.40GHZ, 4GB ram and an 8800 GTX overclocked nicely, Ran crysis 1 very well at max settings no AA.

The Watch Dogs engine, Now that is unoptimized.
They sacrificed input and playability for visuals, i don't care how well a game looks when it feels like shit. 100+ fps to get rid of input lag, unacceptable.
Leopold Tenkeyless MX Brown // Steelseries Rival // Steelseries QCK+
Beyerdynamics DT 990 // FiiO E10 // Asus VG248QE // Asus VE228
Old 22-06-14, 04:00 PM
OC3D Elite

I completely agree on the input lag, this is due to going over budget on visuals causing higher frame latencies. Like i said, they prefer to be a tech demo company and need to get out of this mindset, engines like unreal are snappy and sharp but sacrifice some of the details.

But this doesn't mean you should question the optimization of the engine, it's down to the developers to keep the game within a performance budget.

Cry engine works well with Star citizen because it feels more like a simulation.

But yeah, it's a completely subjective topic when it comes to the feel of the game.

Laptop
[i7-4710MQ | 16GB | 500GB SEVO | GTX 860M]
Old 22-06-14, 04:39 PM
OC3D Elite

I played Crysis 3 last night to test temps on the 780 Ti for another forum member and I didn't notice any input lag, Same goes for the rest of the Crysis games, Tried them late last night and honestly didn't notice anything, Maybe this is due to newer hardware ? I don't know.

I've noticed this lots on other forums not just here and it's usually when people have too much time on their hands or are just generally nit picking they actively look for problems with a fine tooth comb, Be it games or anything in life for that matter and to be honest it's kind of sad.