Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 08-04-14, 11:34 AM
News Guru

Noctua announce the NH-D15 - Will air coolers make a comeback?

The Noctua NH-D14 is widely renowned by reviewers and enthusiasts alike as the best air cooler money can buy, over the years this title has been contested by the likes of the Thermalright Silver Arrow and a few others but nobody has been able to outright beat Noctua by any significant margin. The wait may finally be over.

Presenting Noctua's new flagship air cooler the NH-D15.

Quote:
"Having convinced tens of thousands of quiet cooling enthusiasts around the globe, our NH-D14 has become a reference for top-tier dual tower heatsinks"
"In the end, it took us more than three years of continuous development, countless thermal simulations and over hundred samples to come up with a substantial improvement in efficiency. Staying true to our policy of not releasing anything we're not 100% satisfied with, we had to accept some delays in order to squeeze out the last few percent of performance, but now we're proud to finally release the NH-D15 as a worthy successor to the venerable D14."

The NH-D15 will include many refinements over it's predecessor, it will include Noctua's new NF-A15 fans and a widened heat stack compared to the NH-D14 (150mm compared to the NH-D14's 140mm).The NH-D15 will also offer much greater ram support, thanks to it's recessed lower fins.

The NH-D15 will still offer many of the things we are used to, like low-Noise fan adaptors for quieter operation, Noctua's famous SecuFirm2 mounting solution and their NT-H1 thermal compound. Top that off with a 6 year manufacturers warranty, the NH-D15 forms a complete premium quality air cooling solution that will please overclockers and silence-freaks alike.

The NH-D15 will be available by mid-April at suggested retail prices of EUR 89.90 / USD 99.90.

Now the question on everybody's mind should be; "How will this compete with AIO watercoolers like the H100i?". I have no doubt that TTL and other reviewers will get their hands on this Beautiful piece of engineering soon, there we will get our answer.

What do you guys think of Noctua's New Flagship cooler? Would you consider it over the AIO water coolers currently on the market? Please comment below.

Source - Noctua

Old 08-04-14, 11:44 AM
OC3D Elite

No, air coolers won't make a comeback. No matter how well they perform, they look like a tumor in your PC.
A noctua AIO would be cool.
Leopold Tenkeyless MX Brown // Steelseries Rival // Steelseries QCK+
Beyerdynamics DT 990 // FiiO E10 // Asus VG248QE // Asus VE228
Old 08-04-14, 11:56 AM
OC3D Elite

Air coolers are pretty obsolete now AIOs are affordable.

I don't see why anyone would choose to have a massive heatsink like the D14/15 when you can have something like the H100 which will do a better job with fans at a lower speed. If you are on a budget then going for an air cooler like the hyper 212+ is understandable, but if you are paying £60+ then an AIO is the way to go.
Old 08-04-14, 11:59 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post
Air coolers are pretty obsolete now AIOs are affordable.

I don't see why anyone would choose to have a massive heatsink like the D14/15 when you can have something like the H100 which will do a better job with fans at a lower speed. If you are on a budget then going for an air cooler like the hyper 212+ is understandable, but if you are paying £60+ then an AIO is the way to go.
There is still a surprisingly large amount of people who prefer high end aircoolers, usually there is no real argument behind preferring the aircooler though, i suppose some people like big bulky things in their rigs.
Old 08-04-14, 12:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekaX View Post
There is still a surprisingly large amount of people who prefer high end aircoolers, usually there is no real argument behind preferring the aircooler though, i suppose some people like big bulky things in their rigs.
Maybe it is just me but personally that I would rather have the nice and tidy look of an AIO rather than a big heatsink, But each to their own.
Old 08-04-14, 12:06 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Maybe it is just me but personally that I would rather have the nice and tidy look of an AIO rather than a big heatsink, But each to their own.
I agree, I do prefer the look of a water cooler. But we cannot deny the Bling factor of an air cooler like this.
Old 08-04-14, 12:06 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
The majority of people do. There is nothing which can beat an h100i 350d build in terms of aesthetics for me.
But once in a while you meet someone who either thinks air coolers look cool or is still biased by the problems the early AIO coolers had.
Old 08-04-14, 12:07 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekaX View Post
I suppose some people like big bulky things in their rigs.
I'll never go back to air coolers especially considering the size they are becoming
Old 08-04-14, 12:27 PM
born in a.....

I actually think aios are overrated from a performance standpoint. AIOs look better however I've never been blown away by them.
Old 08-04-14, 12:56 PM
The Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
I actually think aios are overrated from a performance standpoint. AIOs look better however I've never been blown away by them.
Agreed, 100%. It's just a form factor change, moving the heat further away from from the plate on the cpu. They do just the same work as something like a heatpipe, just a different form factor
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | NZXT Hale 90 v2 1000w | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Pure - White | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702 Reference Headphones | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Notice: Don't feed the trolls!

SPS : Apparently they bend if you sit on them in your back pocket - which fucking spasticated mother fucker puts a phone in their back pocket