Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 31-03-14, 10:47 PM
News Guru

Steam's Prices could rise in the UK

Recent Government plans to close tax loopholes could soon be affecting us gamers, especially us PC gamers on Steam.

The plans of the Government, as announced last week by Chancellor George Osborn at budget 2013, will make games and other entertainment products be taxed according to the laws which they are bought in, rather than sold in.

Companies for years now have skirted around tax by claiming that the purchase takes place in another country, which in the case of UK Steam users is Luxemburg, or Valve S.A.R.L, which allowed Valve to pay from 3-15% VAT on games sold. So when these plans are enacted Valve will have to pay 20% tax on every UK purchase, which could make Steam prices price rise.

These plans will generate £300m pounds for the Government and should help equal the playing field for high street based games and other digital media sales. While as a PC gamer I am saddened by the possibility of a price increase, we must remember that these funds will help reduce the governments debt while hopefully preventing cuts to the NHS, Police and other Tax-funded services.

What do you guys think of this? Are you glad that Valve and others will no longer be able to dodge tax, or saddened by a likely price hike for games?

Please post your thoughts and feelings below.

Source - theguardian

Old 31-03-14, 11:13 PM
OC3D Elite

its sad that we will end up paying more for less now then.

I hope that they take consideration of the fact disk copying and manufacturing of the game onto disk is part of the cost for games out there already, otherwise it seems a little harsh.

But im still all up for tax if the money is spent wisely....
Old 31-03-14, 11:27 PM
OC3D Elite

So that would mean this also effects eBay, Paypal, Play.com and Amazon..... they all use Luxemburg S.A.R.L accounts.
Old 31-03-14, 11:29 PM
OC3D Crew

Looks like cdkey websites will get a rise in their income, there will be absolutely no reason not to go to them.

Old 31-03-14, 11:33 PM
OC3D Crew

Steam is already more expensive to buy games as it is (not including the seasonal sales that they usually have).... I dont remember the last time I bought a game via steam,

As long as we dont pay a stupid amount more then fair enough......anything to get out of this recession that we're in......
Old 01-04-14, 12:07 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius View Post
Steam is already more expensive to buy games as it is (not including the seasonal sales that they usually have).... I dont remember the last time I bought a game via steam,

As long as we dont pay a stupid amount more then fair enough......anything to get out of this recession that we're in......
steam has sales all year. there is always a weekly or daily sale.
i buy stuff 75% off all the time, no idea how much this will affect me in germany though.
Leopold Tenkeyless MX Brown // Steelseries Rival // Steelseries QCK+
Beyerdynamics DT 990 // FiiO E10 // Asus VG248QE // Asus VE228
Old 01-04-14, 12:13 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekaX View Post
steam has sales all year. there is always a weekly or daily sale.
i buy stuff 75% off all the time, no idea how much this will affect me in germany though.
Unless Germany create a similar law it won't, this applies to just the UK.

I do imagine other countries will act in a similar way though, provided a similar tax loophole exists in that nation. Countries have a right to take the tax that they are frankly conned out of by big companies like amazon and steam.
Old 01-04-14, 12:26 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsyerproblem View Post
Unless Germany create a similar law it won't, this applies to just the UK.

I do imagine other countries will act in a similar way though, provided a similar tax loophole exists in that nation. Countries have a right to take the tax that they are frankly conned out of by big companies like amazon and steam.
Couldn't agree more. Amazon last year only paying 5% was just a joke!
Old 01-04-14, 05:39 AM
OC3D Elite

Don't mean to be a dick, but I'm glad I live in the USA :P

That aside, I am sure Steam will compensate most if not all of it by lowering the prices. You have to realize Steam is one of the largest digital game distributes on the planet. I am sure most if not all game devs will take a little less just to sell the product on Steam. Steam is like Wal-Mart, they dictate the price and I am sure Steam will notice a negative impact if game prices go up higher than they already are.

Intel Nvidia rig

Old 01-04-14, 05:46 AM
always back up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING_OF_SAND View Post
Don't mean to be a dick, but I'm glad I live in the USA :P

That aside, I am sure Steam will compensate most if not all of it by lowering the prices. You have to realize Steam is one of the largest digital game distributes on the planet. I am sure most if not all game devs will take a little less just to sell the product on Steam. Steam is like Wal-Mart, they dictate the price and I am sure Steam will notice a negative impact if game prices go up higher than they already are.
Well i'd rather have a price increase on steam than gas prices go up again and again and again(never seems to stop)...