Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 29-03-14, 04:02 PM
News Guru

EA Origin abandons optical media, Do we even care?

Yesterday EA announced that their Origin platform will be going all digital. This means that from April 4th onward the Origin Store will no longer sell physical copies of games.

So what changes here, nothing for the majority of us, but those who like their physical game collection you could miss out.

EA had this to say;
Quote:
What does this mean for you? If you're among 99% of our users, absolutely nothing. Your shopping experience hasn't changed one single bit.

But if you're that 1% who still desires a physical collection, we want to let you know that Origin won't be able to fulfill that need beginning April 4th. We’ll still be here when you transition your gaming habits to the wonders of digital downloads.

Digital is fast and convenient. Origin’s focus is to give gamers the best experience, and going all-digital will make that possible.
With the popularity of Steam and other digital gaming platforms, this is an unsurprising move from EA. With most PC gamers preferring digital downloads to physical copies, with many gamers and even case manufactures abandoning the optical drive entirely, it is obvious that EA is doing this to keep up with the times.

(NZXT has abandoned the optical drive in recent designs, why shouldn't EA?)

Simply put EA is no longer dealing with costly postage and packaging, going for an all digital distribution model, which should reduce their distribution costs for PC releases.

Does this affect anyone here? Does this make anyone question why they still have an optical drive anymore? Please post your thoughts and feelings below regarding this bold move from EA.

Source - Electronic Arts

Old 29-03-14, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

While still charging £45 to even upto £100 for digital downloads Tbh i never bought retail versions off Origin, i mainly look at the prices of the downloads and stare at it going 'no frigging way' lol. I remember when they said digital would reduce prices... oh well

I would still have a optical drive mainly for music, burning my archive of albums to keep safe though.
Old 29-03-14, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Not one single f*ck is being given. I haven't purchased a physical game since getting broadband.

Planned rig: Changing AGAIN...
Old 29-03-14, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

well good, less plastic wasted i suppose!

yeah about time things went digital only.
Old 29-03-14, 06:00 PM
OC3D Elite

Why would you buy from Origin anyway?It is cheaper to buy from ANYWHERE ELSE than to use Origin.
Old 29-03-14, 06:19 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlorock View Post
While still charging £45 to even upto £100 for digital downloads Tbh i never bought retail versions off Origin, i mainly look at the prices of the downloads and stare at it going 'no frigging way' lol. I remember when they said digital would reduce prices... oh well

I would still have a optical drive mainly for music, burning my archive of albums to keep safe though.
i remember buying UT3 for £19.99 still have that disk lol, prices are getting a bit out of hand tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepas View Post
Why would you buy from Origin anyway?It is cheaper to buy from ANYWHERE ELSE than to use Origin.
i think the point was that no more disk were being sold, it's kinda big deal like when sony stopped making walkmans in 2010

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-30-years.html
Old 29-03-14, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

I still occasionally use 5,25-inch floppys so no I don't care

http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=60039 << Check out my rigs history
http://en-gb.twitch.tv/sticky_curtains
^ I stream random stuff every now & then
Old 29-03-14, 06:51 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorticalbox View Post

i think the point was that no more disk were being sold

errr,only by origin,you can still buy ea games on disc from other stores,so its no big deal at all.

Quote:
just to clarify, we're still putting out boxed versions of our games, just not through Origin.
https://twitter.com/Charlie_Sin/stat...34238992617472
Old 29-03-14, 06:55 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepas View Post
errr,only by origin,you can still buy ea games on disc from other stores,so its no big deal at all.
it's the start of the end for disk though, disk are quite nice if you have a lot of games downloading them at 1 Mb/s (all i get here in scotland) can take a while
Old 29-03-14, 07:30 PM
OC3D Crew

I hope that not everyone switches to digital media. I can definitely understand the benefits but I still like to buy physical copies for those few games that show you some appreciation, as in don't just stick a dvd in a case and be done with it.

EA games give you just a dvd with the game so I'm not inclined to buy a physical copy of that because it's just a waste of space, but for example last physical copy of a game I bought was Witcher 2. With that they gave me a user manual, game guide, map of The Northern Kingdoms, pamphlet and coin, bonus dvd, game soundtrack, all that for a normal price not premium/legendary.So yeah you can be sure I'll buy the physical copy over the digital one of W3 when it comes out