Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 13-03-14, 09:40 PM

First build - Bitfenix Phenom MATX build

Greetings! So, I'm not particularly experienced with this sort of thing but I figured I would put together a project log of (technically) my first full build.

To give a little backstory, I'm a graphic designer, I've had a Macbook Pro for about 5 years and an upgrade is long overdue

I chose to go with MATX mostly because I really like the look and form factor of Bitfenix's Phenom. I'm more comfortable with the general layout of Micro ATX as opposed to Mini ITX which is why I decided to go that way.

To be totally honest, going into this I knew it wouldn't be an easy build because of the form factor and it doesn't help that I don't really know what I'm doing. But, having said that, if I'm going to have troubles and it's a tricky build, my mistakes will probably be helpful for anyone wanting to build in this case.

Rig Specs:

i5-4670K
Corsair H80i
Gigabyte H87M-D3H
Kingston V300 240GB SSD
EVGA GTX760 ACX
Kingston HyperX 2x4GB
Corsair CX500M
Bitfenix Phenom MATX

Extras:

Asus VN247H 23" LED monitor
Razer Deatherstalker Ultimate
Razer Naga 2014

Had a few shipping problems due to where I live so there are a couple of pictures I forgot to take, you'll have to forgive me

Had to buy a Samsung external disk drive so I could install my OS, I'll probably only use the damn thing once but it was pretty reasonably priced and the most convenient way of installing my OS for me

Had a bit of a goof here, at first I unscrewed the plastic that holds HDDs and I foolishly tried to slide it off and was confused when I realised it can't slide off.
I totally was not aware that you literally had to bend it off which I didn't think to do because man-handling it was the last thing on my mind.

Ended up threading one of the screws trying to get it off the second time so I ended up having to fold a piece of paper enough times so that I could put the SSD in and have it be pushed against the screw holes. Pain in my ass but it's what I get for being a dumbass

Very, very tempted to get another 240GB SSD but we'll see -hehe

Based on the fact I'll be gaming and doing graphic design, for the most part I believe the i5-4670K is going to just about do everything I need and there's always overclocking potential there if I want it.

First off, I put both fans up top as intakes and installed the PSU. I'm going to wait about a month before I get the GPU so for now the top fans are both intake and the H80i fans will both be exhaust. If anyone has any criticism, I'm open to it!

I'm terrible at taking pictures and I only have an iPhone 5c so I'm trying my best

A clean, straightforward motherboard, love how dark it is. It's Crossfire only and it's been a huge problem finding an AMD GPU that's good bang for my buck because of all the Litecoin miners out there which is partly why I haven't bought my GPU already, I'm still a little undecided. The GTX760 has roughly the price point and performance I want but I'd rather get an AMD equivalent so I could have the option for Crossfire in the future, any ideas?

More updates coming soon!

Old 14-03-14, 10:09 AM

Nice choose on parts and if i was you and was looking to spend that kind of money on a GPU i would go with the AMD r9 280, also know i am not a grafic designer and wouldn't know what type of programs you would be using but is 8gb enough for you???

I have 8gb ripjaw 1333mhz (not the fastest ram in world i know) and i do a lot of video rendering for my youtube channel and i am lately finding that that isn't enough for me. or maby i will just have to get faster ram :P

And before you post the final pictures of your rig remember one thing....... everyone will slate you if your cable management isn't perfect :P

Corsair 800D/8gb Corsair Vendgea LP 1866mhz/Sapphire Radeon HD 6850/AMD FX 6-core Black Edition FX-6100/Antec Kuhler box CPU cooler/Gigabyte Socket am3+ GA-990FXA-UD3/Samsung 830 series 64gb ssd/WD 2tb 5400rpm.

Old 14-03-14, 10:21 AM
OC3D Elite

Why fight thermodynamics? Stick the top fans as exhaust dude If you're going for positive pressure you can set the rear and bottom as intake - Much healthier airflow

"Stop comparing Dime to God. I mean he's great, but he is not Dime"
Old 14-03-14, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassupdoc View Post
Why fight thermodynamics? Stick the top fans as exhaust dude If you're going for positive pressure you can set the rear and bottom as intake - Much healthier airflow
Well my GPU will be intake, so if it's right up against the fans at the top and they are exhaust, there's going to be some competition there. In my original post what I meant to say what my original idea was to do it your way but I decided to do it this way so that once I get the GPU I don't have to switch everything around. Won't the GPU and top fans compete if one is exhaust and the other is intake and they are right next to eachother?
Old 14-03-14, 12:39 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowNoon View Post
Well my GPU will be intake, so if it's right up against the fans at the top and they are exhaust, there's going to be some competition there. In my original post what I meant to say what my original idea was to do it your way but I decided to do it this way so that once I get the GPU I don't have to switch everything around. Won't the GPU and top fans compete if one is exhaust and the other is intake and they are right next to eachother?
That's a good point dude - Ignore me! xD

"Stop comparing Dime to God. I mean he's great, but he is not Dime"
Old 14-03-14, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewythefirst View Post
And before you post the final pictures of your rig remember one thing....... everyone will slate you if your cable management isn't perfect :P
Hehe, a really hard case to have good cable management in but i will do my best! Thanks for all the criticism guys.