Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 22-10-06, 12:41 PM
OC3D Elite

Game Over For Halo Movie

For those eagerly awaiting the Halo movie adaption, it appears that it may actually never see the light of day. Microsoft's demand for 5 million upfront and 10% of the profit has certainly put a dampener on studio's willing to take a gamble on the movie, especially when the budget was rumoured to around $200 million. Perhaps we'll see Microsoft develop a movie studio next Do you think M$'s demands were excessive? Feel free to discuss below...

Link to the news article

Old 22-10-06, 12:51 PM
OC3D Elite

Microsofts greed does sometimes genuinely make me sick, like they dont have most of the world cornered for the rest of their computer using days as it is. If was super rich i would invest as much as i could spare into Google

Old 22-10-06, 12:58 PM
OC3D Crew

Damn I thought the movie would have gone down well

10% profits from a blockbusting film is quite a lot

and even more when your microsoft

Disappointing
Old 22-10-06, 01:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Despite not liking m$`s reign of terror and pursuit of selling air for $$$, I don`t think 5m and 10% is that much.

Old 22-10-06, 01:39 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'
Despite not liking m$`s reign of terror and pursuit of selling air for $$$, I don`t think 5m and 10% is that much.
In the grand scheme of things it doesn't seem like much...But if you take into account that if the movie were to break even and made $200 mill (which is highly unlikely). Microsoft would receive $25 million for doing 'jack' other than licensing. Then there is the merchandising such as hats, t-shirts, dvd's and video's for which they stand to make a tidy little cut also. If you conservatively said M$ would make $40 mill in total, it's still quite a bit (they have no real potential loss/risk involved), considering that Bungie made the game and studio houses like Universal etc had to foot the bill just to make the film. As per usual M$ gets the cream
Old 22-10-06, 02:34 PM
OC3D Elite

Well as much as everyone claimed it would be good, I am still convinced it would have sucked. I am looking at it as 2 hours of my life I didn't waste. :P
Old 25-10-06, 10:10 PM
OC3D Elite

they have released a update to this situation.....

Quote:

Microsoft has confirmed that plans to produce a film based on hit Xbox title Halo are still going ahead, despite the decision of Universal and Fox to pull out of the project.

Microsoft has released an official statement via the Bungie website which reads: "We are disappointed that Universal and Fox wanted to significantly renegotiate the financial points of the deal. But the Halo franchise is hugely popular and our goal remains the same - to find a partner that shares our passion and will creatively collaborate with us to best represent the story and spirit of the Halo franchise.

"Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and the rest of the creative team are dedicated to ensuring the Halo movie becomes a reality," the statement continues.

"We are already in discussions with potential partners who recognise the value of the Halo brand and its appeal to consumers worldwide."

Source

Old 25-10-06, 10:18 PM
OC3D Elite

If Microsoft believe in it so much why don't they fund it?
Old 25-10-06, 10:28 PM
OC3D Elite

there not looking for funding, there looking for a partner that knows how to make a film......

Old 25-10-06, 10:36 PM
OC3D Elite

Would have been nice to see a movie made from a game, but arnt halo's graphics a little out of date now

8GB DDR3 - M4 64GB SSD - Corsair HX520W - Dell 24"

Logitech G5 - Logitech Z-5500 - Sennheisser HD555

Macbook Pro 13" 2011, 4GB DDR3, M4 128GB SSD