Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 16-12-13, 07:03 PM
The Guvnor

ASUS GTX780 Poseidon Platinum First Look

Fancy a graphics card that is as happy whether it's air cooled or in a water loop? ASUS have just the ticket.

Continue Reading

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 16-12-13, 07:04 PM
OC3D Elite

The hexagon fan cutouts look like crap..... thats the first thing I noticed.

Old 16-12-13, 08:02 PM

VGA Hotwire

I can see that the backplate has a different cut out than the DCII card in the VGA Hotwire soldering points does it mean that you don't have to short PGR152 solder pads and remove the PGR 100 resistor to use VGA Hotwire? Or does it have an unclocked power target?
Old 16-12-13, 08:08 PM

I can't wait to see the performance numbers.
3770K (3.9Ghz Turbo Mode) | H100i (SP120QE) | Maximus V Formula | 4x4GB Vengeance 1600Mhz | 7970 Matrix Platinum | Intel 335 240GB | WD Black 1TB | WD RE 2TB | HAF X | SeaSonic 860w Platinum | Windows 8 Pro | 2x Asus VS248H-P | Asus VG248QE
Old 16-12-13, 08:09 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiBetrayforAR View Post
I can't wait to see the performance numbers.
it's gonna be like a watercooled, overclocked 780. nothing new there tbh

you can click on that
Old 16-12-13, 08:11 PM

I believe someone else said "jack of all trades, master of none" it will be OK on air, but not as good as it could be, it will be OK on water, but not as good as it could be... Do people really umm and ahh over going to water or not that much? I'm not so sure... I am happy to be proven wrong but I would say the people going the watercooling route would be happier with a dedicated watercooling block and would be happy to do the swap, I don't think anyone would be daunted by the swap either. This seems to me marketed towards people that are confused if they want to go to watercooling or not? Once the decision has been made, its best to be balls deep
Old 16-12-13, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Looking at the path of the water in the block I think it'll fare a little worse that dedicated block, but with the fans and heatsink, it'll more than make up for it. However, one of the points of a water block is to do away with the fans, for a silent gpu. I wouldn't dare run that card without fans, that block won't cope, imo.

Having said that, with a bit of modding you can achieve the same yourself .

I wonder if Tom will tear this card down? Be interesting to see the construction, and also the performance of course.

Are dual method cooling graphic cards a thing of the future? The Poseidon is a good start, but welcome other manufacturers to try harder!
Old 16-12-13, 10:30 PM
News Guru

I really do love the idea of this card!

ASUS do seem to love trying to push boundaries, with their MARS and ARES cards and now their combination Air/Water cooler. They must spend an insane amount of money making these.
Old 16-12-13, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegee View Post
I believe someone else said "jack of all trades, master of none" it will be OK on air, but not as good as it could be, it will be OK on water, but not as good as it could be... Do people really umm and ahh over going to water or not that much? I'm not so sure... I am happy to be proven wrong but I would say the people going the watercooling route would be happier with a dedicated watercooling block and would be happy to do the swap, I don't think anyone would be daunted by the swap either. This seems to me marketed towards people that are confused if they want to go to watercooling or not? Once the decision has been made, its best to be balls deep
I have to agree with this sentiment. Water cooling should be just that - a hybrid h2O/air approach won't provide maximum cooling or push cards to their performance limit.

In addition, my biggest beef with GPU's has always been replacing factory blowers/fans that have crapped out. It's SOOO much simpler to just swap out that 120mm fan on a radiator, without even touching the GPU.
Old 17-12-13, 01:17 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to MrKambo
am i right in saying if you was to liquid cool this, you could remove the fans? for a cleaner look?

The Brick: i7-4770K 4.5GHz, Asus Impact, 8GB Dom Platinum 2133, MSI 980 Gaming, Silverstone Strider 850w, Corsair Force GT 120GB, Bitfenix Prodigy Modded