Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards

Old 23-11-13, 09:24 PM
OC3D Crew

780Ti SLI for 5760x1080?

Question says it all really. I know that a 780Ti alone in 5760x1080 will not reach 60fps in Ultra on most games, but how will it fair in SLI? I'm wondering if it will end up being bottlenecked by the VRAM.

Also, I will be running the 3 monitors using DVI inputs. What's the best way to link them up to the 780Ti?

Thanks.

Old 23-11-13, 11:04 PM
OC3D Elite

I'm guessing they would fair very well by how a pair of 780's perform but look up reviews and numbers for whatever games it is your thinking of running. I'm guessing some titles just are that demanding and others aren't that well optimized for doing it. I'm not sure any game has gone past using up 3gb vram yet? I remember watching loads of videos of 5760x1080 crysis 3 on SLI Titans, and they got to around 2.2-2.8gb I think, nothing that really warranted 6gb. You would have to spend a LOT more money to get anything superior to two 780Ti's, I would hope my 780's would handle it if called upon.

It doesn't really matter how you plug triple monitors in now the nvidia utility lets you sort it all out, it might change where your bios screen appears. I used to put the main screen and the left screen on the bottom GPU and the right screen on the top one so if any application didn't utilize surround/sli properly it would be slightly cooler running on the bottom card. If you want a 4th 'accessory' display I think that has to go on the slave card not in a DVI.

There's a good bunch of numbers on here - http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/4687...x1080---medium

You can see 2x780's have an edge over 2xTitans on medium but that's closed up on very high. Even 3x 780's are still ahead of 3xTitans with only 3GB to play with so I think 780Ti's would be fine, but you can see how some stuff still isn't going to hold 60fps if you truly want ultra settings.

2x 780Ti's vs 3x 780's, that's the big question considering they are very close in price.
Old 23-11-13, 11:40 PM
OC3D Crew

I'll definitely go two 780Ti's then, the benefit being I can always get cheeky and add a third one, although more likely I'll just upgrade to 8xx or 9xx SLI in the future.

That's good to know, my current machine is running an XFX Radeon 6870, and it's a bit funny about which ports you can actually use at the same time.

Thanks for all your help, I'll go for it then. I don't mind sacrificing a little AA if it means I can push Ultra in 5760x1080!
Old 24-11-13, 08:16 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR23 View Post
I'm guessing they would fair very well by how a pair of 780's perform but look up reviews and numbers for whatever games it is your thinking of running. I'm guessing some titles just are that demanding and others aren't that well optimized for doing it. I'm not sure any game has gone past using up 3gb vram yet? I remember watching loads of videos of 5760x1080 crysis 3 on SLI Titans, and they got to around 2.2-2.8gb I think, nothing that really warranted 6gb. You would have to spend a LOT more money to get anything superior to two 780Ti's, I would hope my 780's would handle it if called upon.

It doesn't really matter how you plug triple monitors in now the nvidia utility lets you sort it all out, it might change where your bios screen appears. I used to put the main screen and the left screen on the bottom GPU and the right screen on the top one so if any application didn't utilize surround/sli properly it would be slightly cooler running on the bottom card. If you want a 4th 'accessory' display I think that has to go on the slave card not in a DVI.

There's a good bunch of numbers on here - http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/4687...x1080---medium

You can see 2x780's have an edge over 2xTitans on medium but that's closed up on very high. Even 3x 780's are still ahead of 3xTitans with only 3GB to play with so I think 780Ti's would be fine, but you can see how some stuff still isn't going to hold 60fps if you truly want ultra settings.

2x 780Ti's vs 3x 780's, that's the big question considering they are very close in price.
To max the settings you are going to need more than 3gb and more than two cards.

I would not take too much notice of those numbers you linked either, remember they used medium settings not max. I am also concerned that they have two GTX 690s faster than 3 Titans lol, I can assure you they are not (I own a pair of GTX 690s and 4 Titans).

To the OP, the 780ti's are fine cards but you will always be limited by the 3gb of vram. If you are only going to use two in SLI you should be fine but you will not be able to max all games at high resolutions both because of the lack of vram and GPU grunt. If you add a third or forth card you will have the GPU grunt but not the vram.

Have you also considered the 290 and 290X, these cards have 4gb which opens up more options if you are going to use 3 or 4 cards.
Old 24-11-13, 08:21 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapstad View Post
Have you also considered the 290 and 290X, these cards have 4gb which opens up more options if you are going to use 3 or 4 cards.
I've considered the 290X, but was a little put off by the heat factor, nervous about using two of them. Will two 290X's be better than SLI'd 780Tis at 5760x1080? Any particular models that are out yet with aftermarket coolers?
Old 24-11-13, 09:40 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapstad View Post
To max the settings you are going to need more than 3gb and more than two cards.

I would not take too much notice of those numbers you linked either, remember they used medium settings not max. I am also concerned that they have two GTX 690s faster than 3 Titans lol, I can assure you they are not (I own a pair of GTX 690s and 4 Titans).

To the OP, the 780ti's are fine cards but you will always be limited by the 3gb of vram. If you are only going to use two in SLI you should be fine but you will not be able to max all games at high resolutions both because of the lack of vram and GPU grunt. If you add a third or forth card you will have the GPU grunt but not the vram.

4x Titans, 2x 690's and you didn't think to look on the next page? It is only one game and I don't think the OP should base his decision on that alone, i'm sure there are instances where each solution would have its merits.

And I did say 'you can see how some stuff still isn't going to hold 60fps if you truly want ultra settings'.

With two 780Ti's it's gonna look awesome and play pretty well, you can't exactly recommend spending £2400 instead of £1100 on three Titans when at most their gonna get 40% more performance. People run 5760 with a lot less hardware and a lot less vram, I used to knock on for ultra with two 570's (yeah 1280mb) and some stuff looked the nuts, sure it wasn't crysis and BF4 but who's to say the OP doesn't wanna play truck sim for the next 5 years
Old 24-11-13, 09:59 AM

Meanwhile in Northern Ireland Fibre Optic kinda sucks (BT whoot whoot)
Old 24-11-13, 12:32 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvsk View Post
Meanwhile in Northern Ireland Fibre Optic kinda sucks (BT whoot whoot)
Wrong thread maybe lol?

I'd say go with the 2x780Ti as you can always get a third down the line like you said, whereas with 3x780, upgrading to 4x780 would just be giving you a world of driver issues.

Kaapstad, you must be one rich SOB xD

Old 24-11-13, 02:52 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
4x Titans, 2x 690's and you didn't think to look on the next page? It is only one game and I don't think the OP should base his decision on that alone, i'm sure there are instances where each solution would have its merits.

And I did say 'you can see how some stuff still isn't going to hold 60fps if you truly want ultra settings'.

With two 780Ti's it's gonna look awesome and play pretty well, you can't exactly recommend spending £2400 instead of £1100 on three Titans when at most their gonna get 40% more performance. People run 5760 with a lot less hardware and a lot less vram, I used to knock on for ultra with two 570's (yeah 1280mb) and some stuff looked the nuts, sure it wasn't crysis and BF4 but who's to say the OP doesn't wanna play truck sim for the next 5 years
I did not and would not recommend a Titan or worse more than one to anyone but they do have their uses like on high resolution setups.

I did say to the OP about having a look at the 290 or 290X as they have 4gb rather than the 3gb found on the 780ti.

Using two cards at ultra high resolutions in most cases does not cause any problems if you only have 3gb available as you can not max the settings on all games. If you start adding extra cards so you can max settings (providing the drivers work) then you will very quickly run into trouble with only 3gb of vram. It was also the OP who is considering going down this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
Wrong thread maybe lol?

I'd say go with the 2x780Ti as you can always get a third down the line like you said, whereas with 3x780, upgrading to 4x780 would just be giving you a world of driver issues.
It would as the NVidia drivers will only run 3 GTX 780 cards in SLI, there are ways round this that the pro benchers can use but I hate to think what this would be like on games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
Kaapstad, you must be one rich SOB xD
No I am not rich at all.

My interest is PCs and for one reason or another I don't have a lot of commitments elsewhere.

For example a lot of people spend a fortune on cars, this is something I can not do as I can not drive.
Old 24-11-13, 04:59 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
People run 5760 with a lot less hardware and a lot less vram, I used to knock on for ultra with two 570's (yeah 1280mb) and some stuff looked the nuts, sure it wasn't crysis and BF4 but who's to say the OP doesn't wanna play truck sim for the next 5 years
Mainly cos vram isn't that important. It's nice, but nothing to overly consider or worry about.

I'd worry more about ditching the x1080 resolution.