Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 18-11-13, 09:58 AM
tinytomlogan's Avatar
tinytomlogan tinytomlogan is offline
The Guvnor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TTL Towers
Posts: 15,743
PowerColor R9 290 Review



Following the R9 290X, it's time to take a look at its slightly reduced sibling, the 290.


Continue Reading

__________________

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW


Get along or run along. Your choice
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18-11-13, 10:32 AM
s13viper s13viper is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 11
Have to say, i'm pretty surprised by your results.

Its completely different to every single other review out there.

So i'm not really sure what to make of it.

edit : ill add i am now using 3x 290's....on water though and my results are insanely different (using 1 card of course)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18-11-13, 10:33 AM
barnsley's Avatar
barnsley barnsley is offline
born in a.....
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5,103
Good Ol' PowerColor :'). Top lads for not being wimps. To be fair the performance is exactly what I would want for a card but no cooler means no sale for me.
__________________
Rigs: Spur (inwin 901, gtx 780ti,i7 4770k)|Herman (pentium G3258,custom loop)
|Octobox (8320@4.2ghz, Asus 280x@ 1110/1500mem)|
OC3D starcitizen group Join today!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18-11-13, 10:41 AM
tinytomlogan's Avatar
tinytomlogan tinytomlogan is offline
The Guvnor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TTL Towers
Posts: 15,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13viper View Post
Have to say, i'm pretty surprised by your results.

Its completely different to every single other review out there.

So i'm not really sure what to make of it.

edit : ill add i am now using 3x 290's....on water though and my results are insanely different (using 1 card of course)
We dont look at other results we look at the results our rig gives us.

I have screenshots for every single result too (that goes for all reviews)
__________________

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW


Get along or run along. Your choice
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18-11-13, 10:46 AM
Rastalovich's Avatar
Rastalovich Rastalovich is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Testing hardware somewhere
Posts: 11,419
It's a decent enough card for the price. The saviour for the 95 degrees, I feel, is the rear exhausting fan. But still, if you're going to buy one, know you've got to deal with it.

Still can't wrap my head around the Gigabyte/MSI 780 results. One is better than the ti and the other isn't, and yet there's no difference. Lottery I guess.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18-11-13, 10:54 AM
tinytomlogan's Avatar
tinytomlogan tinytomlogan is offline
The Guvnor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TTL Towers
Posts: 15,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastalovich View Post
It's a decent enough card for the price. The saviour for the 95 degrees, I feel, is the rear exhausting fan. But still, if you're going to buy one, know you've got to deal with it.

Still can't wrap my head around the Gigabyte/MSI 780 results. One is better than the ti and the other isn't, and yet there's no difference. Lottery I guess.
Yes matey lottery, and the MSI overclocked like a train - thats why I used it in my own rig
__________________

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW


Get along or run along. Your choice
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18-11-13, 11:17 AM
s13viper s13viper is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
We dont look at other results we look at the results our rig gives us.

I have screenshots for every single result too (that goes for all reviews)
Oh i don't doubt you for a second.

But something is still wrong here. Almost all of your results are well off what i got.

A small example, crysis3 @ 5760x1080 0aa, max setting.I was getting 28fps average, 25fps min on a single card on air.

So what does this mean? Well i don't know exactly.

Mine are now under water, heavily overclocked and in trifire so the results are obviously skewed now.

I defiantly do agree the stock cooler is rubbish and too loud though. Get them under water though and its a very very different story. Exceptional performance (higher than 2x780ti's for $300 less) here in Australia anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18-11-13, 11:35 AM
tinytomlogan's Avatar
tinytomlogan tinytomlogan is offline
The Guvnor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TTL Towers
Posts: 15,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13viper View Post
Oh i don't doubt you for a second.

But something is still wrong here. Almost all of your results are well off what i got.

A small example, crysis3 @ 5760x1080 0aa, max setting.I was getting 28fps average, 25fps min on a single card on air.

So what does this mean? Well i don't know exactly.

Mine are now under water, heavily overclocked and in trifire so the results are obviously skewed now.

I defiantly do agree the stock cooler is rubbish and too loud though. Get them under water though and its a very very different story. Exceptional performance (higher than 2x780ti's for $300 less) here in Australia anyway.
Bit narrow minded if you think because our results are different we dont get the same results. Youd have to have the exact same game settings and same system to be able to compare dude. THATS why we always use the same rig and the same game settings. Plus we always play the same part of the game too because that can make a huge difference.

But hey Im not going to sit here and explain why you dont understand stuff
__________________

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW


Get along or run along. Your choice
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18-11-13, 11:42 AM
Anusha Anusha is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 21
270x beating 290 in some benches? are you high Tom? someone's tampered your results :P

in some benches, the overclocked Titan is slower than the stock Titan.

when are you going to get rid of stupid Flash based graphs? you know browsers in smart phones don't support Flash right? you are losing a lot of viewers because of that.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 18-11-13, 12:07 PM
s13viper s13viper is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Bit narrow minded if you think because our results are different we dont get the same results. Youd have to have the exact same game settings and same system to be able to compare dude. THATS why we always use the same rig and the same game settings. Plus we always play the same part of the game too because that can make a huge difference.

But hey Im not going to sit here and explain why you dont understand stuff
I understand that mate lol Ive been around in this game as long as you have :P

But seriously, something is wrong here. We aren't talking about a few fps or a few anomalies here and there. Everything is out and by large margins.

In general i'm a big fan of yours and have purchased several items based on your very long ass but awesome video's.

But i feel in this case either your card is defective, your test system went spaz, or a driver issue as its so terribly different to everyone else's and not by a few %, but by entire orders of magnitude.

ps. Water cooling literally makes these like different cards, the sooner you bring out a review/video on watercooling them i feel your "ati" audience will appreciate it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT. The time now is 04:24 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.