Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Networks & Security

Old 11-10-06, 12:20 PM
OC3D Elite

wireless connection on laptops

we are seeing the following more and more these days; we provide laptops to lots of schools and they are making use of the wireless features. All laptops are part of a domain. In the last couple of months, most laptops are set for the wireless to be disabled on start up when run on battery mode. So when the kids take the laptops into there room, they cannot get onto the domain (login scripts copies a few files from server). We have acer travelmate 2450 at the moment which comes with crappy epower software. We have tried configuring this so the wireless comes on straight away, which it does on the local admin account. but when loggin into any other account it doesnt work. We have tried to configure it with just one domain account, but still doesnt work and that account has local admin rights too. i'm really stuck here and it's starting to get on my man boobs. Does anyone know of anyway to resolve this issue?!?!?! a command that will turn the wireless on, anything!!!!

help please!!!!

ta

Old 11-10-06, 12:27 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to FragTek Send a message via MSN to FragTek Send a message via Yahoo to FragTek
Have you gotten rid of the epower program completely? That 3rd party connection management software is really fubarred. I'd just enable XP's wireless connection manager and dump the other software completely.
Old 11-10-06, 12:46 PM
OC3D Elite

when we remove the epower software, it doesnt boot enabled either. still have to use the hardware switch at the front to turn it on. Im sure those of you who work in this sort of business know thats just too hard for the kids.

Old 11-10-06, 03:36 PM
OC3D Elite

any ideas anyone, a script to turn it on? anythings........

Old 11-10-06, 05:07 PM
OC3D Elite

I got a travelm8 4101LCi here and I have to be fair - it`s an excellent laptop.

I`ve kept the software on it and I can`t say I`ve ever had a problem with it since I finally `sussed` out how to go-wireless.

One thing I would say to try, that I didn`t figure out in the beginning, was that if I went portable - when u look at the large LED that often indicates that u`r connected, it`s actually a button, when u press it it will turn off/on the wireless capabilities.

Other than that I need to know some settings of how u`r trying to do things, coz I have to be honest I`ve messed with 3 of these laptops now and they connect really easily. (acer software still on them too)

Old 11-10-06, 05:15 PM
OC3D Elite

i can connect them easily. and the hardware switch is the problem!! the laptops boot up with wireless disable (the wireless network connection is enabled still (in netowrk connections)). When we have them plugged into the mains, It's using a mains profile where everything is enabled. when started up on battery mode, most things are disabled, including wireless until you use the hardware switch. Using the epower management software doesnt help. Tried setting a new power profile up in it, but it isnt a power profile for all user profiles, so when logging into one of the domain users (800+) the settings have returned to default. The login script copies a few shortcuts to the users desktop. So need a network connection at log on.

Old 11-10-06, 05:22 PM
OC3D Elite

So u`d maybe get away with it if u could change the default ?

Old 11-10-06, 05:34 PM
OC3D Elite

easier said than done!!!! just found a ini file, just looking at the settings and puttting in the default profile, so every user created get its. still have a problem though, it doesnt enable the wireless until that program has started. pretty crap really that acer havent thought about this. there tech support say "try reinstalling the epower management" i'm like agh, done it 3 or 4 times, not going to help. had the same problem with nec, they said it was made like that by default, so they just ruled out business's/schools etc using them on a domain wirelessly. agh!

Old 11-10-06, 05:45 PM
OC3D Elite

What I do is this, I disable the wireless zero config program, then set the card up using its software - epower doesn't do the card, you'll need to check the card type and get the proper util from the manufacturer's website, then set the card up, and then disable the software, and it should connect the wireless during the windows is loading screen, and do the script at logon...
Old 11-10-06, 05:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Does it then powerup the wifi during the same time windo$e normally does network stuff during boot ?