Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Sound Cards & Speakers

Old 26-09-13, 08:00 PM

Sound-card? Yes/No?

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting myself the Sennheiser PC360's and my friend mentioned that I won't get the full feel of them if I don't get a sound card.

My problem is, is I don't have any slot on my mobo due to SLI gfx cards so I pretty much can't fit one in any where.

Down to my point. Is it true that I need a sound card for this particular headset or will I be 100% fine with just the headset by its self.

This is my mother board in-case you want to see the on-board sound spec's in case. http://www.msi.com/product/mb/X79A-GD65--8D-.html

Cheers, Eddyyz

Old 26-09-13, 08:10 PM
sense of humor deficiency

Erhmm if you get a PCI-E 1x card you can fit it in the middle black or the bottom blue slot, assuming your cards are dual slots.

That said, you won't *need* a sound card but it will definitely sound a lot better than on-board audio, especially when paired up with good speakers/ headphones.
Old 26-09-13, 08:14 PM
OC3D Elite

something like the fiio e10 would also be an option
Old 26-09-13, 08:26 PM

So the fiio e10 is compatible with the PC360's right?
Old 26-09-13, 08:27 PM
HeadMod

You'd get away with a card in the bottom X16 slot fine.

I'd advise against that headset though. You can do better for the money.

Get Beyerdynamic DT770s/990s, or Audio-Technica ATH-M50s, and any lapel mic, and put the money saved towards a better soundcard.

Try and get an STX or something if you can afford it, if not, the Fiio E7 and E10 are both good options too.
---Silverstone Raven RV03---
--Xonar Essence STX --- Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro--
-----M60 -------- Q-Pad MK-80-----

Old 26-09-13, 08:35 PM

In my country (South Africa), both those headsets are like more the 50$ more than the PC360's...
Old 26-09-13, 10:36 PM
I give BAD advise

Nothing wrong with the PC360s then if they are cheaper than the other options James advised. A soundcard is still recommended to drive them though. Soundcard will provide more accurate sound positioning and deliver more clear and precise bass,mids, and highs while still driving them to be louder.. I'm no audiophile but from my current knowledge that's what a decent soundcard will do.
Old 26-09-13, 11:12 PM

My advice would be the following. If(!) you are set on the PC360, get them and find a friend with a high quality soundcard. Do a hands on comparison between your onboard solution and the soundcard.
See if you can hear a difference and decide if this difference warrants the extra money.

Whenever somebody asks this question a few people pop up and recommend the xonar stx and beyerdynamic, akg or audiotechnica headphones.
While these are for sure excellent pieces of hardware, I personally would be hesitant to use them as a general recommendation.

I personally prefer a decent headset for gaming, because in the end it's more practical to use than a headphone with an extra mike (stand or clamp on or whatever). And to be honest while I game I don't notice much of a difference.
What I'm saying is audio is to some extend subjective and personal preference. And use case.
I don't listen much to music on my pc. I do that on my hifi amp with my m50s. If I only had my pc the situation would be different. I probably would think about using higher grade headphones (if I limited myself to an one for all solution) and a soundcard.

I personally have had good experience with Sennheiser headsets. Especially the mics are pretty decent. Build quality, too.

So analyse what's your usecase. See what is your budget and how much are you willing to spend. Generally recommending a xonar stx and 150(+) quid headphones (even as they are excellent) is a bit overkill in my book.
Old 26-09-13, 11:47 PM
OC3D Elite

I own a set of Pc-350's which require 150ohm to drive them whereas your 360's only need 50ohm to drive them so you could get away without buying a top soundcard, that being said though if you do buy a card like the STX you won't be sorry that you did as I just changed to one and the sound difference is just amazing games sound better, music sounds richer and movies blow you out of your chair nearly so if you can do it buy one.
MSI Z77 Mpower = Intel I7 3770K = 2 x Sapphire HD7970 3GB OC with Boost in X-Fire = 16 Gig Corsair Vengeance White LP @1600 = Corsair H100i = Plextor M5S 256 = Western Digital Green 3TB = Audio-Technica ATX-AD700X = Logitech Z5500 = Corsair K70 Silver = Corsair M65 Arctic White = Corsair MM600 = Corsair AX850 = Corsair White Individual Braided Cables = 3x AOC e2352Phz = Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium = LG Bluray Burner = Socomec UPS = Windows 8.1 Pro.
Old 27-09-13, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo View Post
My advice would be the following. If(!) you are set on the PC360, get them and find a friend with a high quality soundcard. Do a hands on comparison between your onboard solution and the soundcard.
See if you can hear a difference and decide if this difference warrants the extra money.

Whenever somebody asks this question a few people pop up and recommend the xonar stx and beyerdynamic, akg or audiotechnica headphones.
While these are for sure excellent pieces of hardware, I personally would be hesitant to use them as a general recommendation.

I personally prefer a decent headset for gaming, because in the end it's more practical to use than a headphone with an extra mike (stand or clamp on or whatever). And to be honest while I game I don't notice much of a difference.
What I'm saying is audio is to some extend subjective and personal preference. And use case.
I don't listen much to music on my pc. I do that on my hifi amp with my m50s. If I only had my pc the situation would be different. I probably would think about using higher grade headphones (if I limited myself to an one for all solution) and a soundcard.

I personally have had good experience with Sennheiser headsets. Especially the mics are pretty decent. Build quality, too.

So analyse what's your usecase. See what is your budget and how much are you willing to spend. Generally recommending a xonar stx and 150(+) quid headphones (even as they are excellent) is a bit overkill in my book.
Thanks for the advice man! Will give it a good "think".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalabur50 View Post
I own a set of Pc-350's which require 150ohm to drive them whereas your 360's only need 50ohm to drive them so you could get away without buying a top soundcard, that being said though if you do buy a card like the STX you won't be sorry that you did as I just changed to one and the sound difference is just amazing games sound better, music sounds richer and movies blow you out of your chair nearly so if you can do it buy one.
I've been told to look at the Fiio E10 on a few other forums, and it seem's to be quite highly rated. What you think of the E10?