Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Storage Mediums

Old 24-09-13, 05:45 AM

Sleep mode can "kill" ur ssd? O.O

Well i looked on somes forums and somes peoples say that the "sleep" mode can damage ur ssd.... so i want to know is that realy true that "SLEEP" mode damage our ssd?

PS:I got an OCZ VERTEX 2 SANDFORCE

Old 24-09-13, 12:45 PM
born in a.....

If its an OCZ then in my experience just using it will kill it, never had a good experience with OCZ ssds.

Back on topic, no it won't. Hibernation mode might as it suspends it to the disk, as opposed to standby, which loads it onto the ram. Hibernation mode will only cause such little damage it'll only really effect it after the drive isn't used/becomes obsolete.

Amazing signature done by Red Catalyst

OC3D starcitizen group Join today!
Old 24-09-13, 01:05 PM

I had an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD last year and it went AWOL after my PC went to "Sleep". I then had a second Vertex 3 as a replacement and that just died for no apparent reason.

But apparently it was the "Sleep" function that killed my first SSD, something to do with the firmware getting damaged or corrupt?

I've got a Corsair Force 3 now and have disabled "Sleep" completely just in case.
Black + Blue Raven - Asus P6X58DE | Intel i7 930 | Corsair Dominator Platinum 12GB | Asus GTX 670 Direct CUII | Corsair HX 650 | Corsair H80i | Corsair Force Series 3 240GB | WD Caviar Green 2TB | Silverstone RV02E-W
Old 24-09-13, 01:08 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
If its an OCZ then in my experience just using it will kill it, never had a good experience with OCZ ssds.

Yeah I seem to hear that a lot. Doesn't appear to be a lot if love for OCZ drives.

As for sleep mode, I don't think it can but I wouldn't be surprised. I use sleep mode every day and a lot of time things wake up wonky and not working right however I've never had anything that was harmed and couldn't be fixed with a restart.

AMD FX-8150 @ 4.515 ••• Asus Sabertooth 990FX ••• Corsair H100
Corsair 500R ••• Corsair TX750 ••• Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4GB
Western Digital Caviar 320GB & 2x 1TB ••• EVGA GTX670 FTW
BlackWidow Ultimate ••• DeathAdder ••• HP 2509B @ 1920x1080
Old 24-09-13, 01:12 PM
born in a.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post

Yeah I seem to hear that a lot. Doesn't appear to be a lot if love for OCZ drives.
OCZ- Home of the 1 use disposable ssds. I've used 2 of them in people's builds and both times they've broken after a month.

Amazing signature done by Red Catalyst

OC3D starcitizen group Join today!
Old 24-09-13, 03:38 PM

On Vertex 2 SSd's i do not remember what firmware exactly, but if you go into sleep mode the frive might go into "Panic Mode" and it will lock down yor ssd, you might not be able to detect it.

OCZ seem to fix this issue with their firmware updates, just do the lates update and i thin kyou should be ok.

I have one of these on my own , and it is Panic Locked, the only way i figured out to fix it is to Custom Reflash it, that will take soldering but its not a problem, the problem is that i need a working one, to fix the broken one..
Old 24-09-13, 04:10 PM

I went to download their firmware but do i need to "format" my pc to update it? O.O how to update it? >.<
Old 24-09-13, 04:16 PM

You have 2 options (windows)

1. you can download the executable, *with these drives i would not recommend updating the dirve if you have the os on it.

2. PC bootable - so you will ahve to burna CD, and boot from it, the tool willallow you to update the firmware.

you shold not loose any information from the ssd, itsonly Brains being updated, information should not be.
Just incase... you never know what might happen, back up files that you dont want to lose.
Old 24-09-13, 04:34 PM

Ok thank you
Old 24-09-13, 05:03 PM

Yet more OCZ bashing.

Oh joy.