Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section > OS & Apps

Old 23-09-13, 06:28 PM
OC3D Crew

SteamOS

Hello. As some of you may know Valve officially announced their SteamOS today, which is essentially their attempt at a console style OS based on Linux.

While this is very cool I don't understand what exactly this means for older games. At the moment Linux is probably the joint, if not the least supported platform in regards to gaming, so what's going to happen? Will we have to wait for every game to be ported to Linux before we can play anything or is there going to be some kind of magic going on to support games that aren't already developed for Linux? For this to take off i think this issue (if it exists) needs to be sorted out right away, otherwise no one is going to jump onboard.

The option of streaming games from a Mac or PC will be built in but is this really ideal, even short term? I thought the whole point of this was to take on the console market? If we still need to run a separate machine does this not kind of make it redundant? Why would someone invest in a second gaming machine when they can just invest in an inexpensive DVI/HDMI/DP lead and run it to their TV?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this. I know I've only focussed on some assumptive shortcomings it may have, but I'm sure you'll agree they're big issues. We still don't have all the info yet, so hopefully a lot of my concerns will be cleared up shortly.

Old 23-09-13, 06:35 PM

There is actually already a thread on this:

http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=57090

I also failed to find this before posting my thread on SteamOS.

~Taking Assetto Corsa App request ideas~
Old 23-09-13, 06:37 PM
OC3D Crew

NO WAY! I even did a search. Never mind, mines different :P