Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 16-09-13, 02:05 PM

Inside of tubing gone white

So I've just restarted work on my WCing after a 5~ months due to getting put off that I had killed my MB/GPU/RAM (turns out I may have bent a few CPU pins) and have opened up the system to clear out water I may have left in there (only rads, res and one pump, no blocks and not connected in a loop). Got some out of the front rad (was water I had been using, deionised from supermarket + biocide) but noticed that the inside of my tubing was white.

Can't see anything like this on my UV green tubing that's been sitting on a bench since I disassembled the loop several months ago but I noticed a buildup of black stuff on the CPU block when I went to lap it to clear off the liquid metal (at least I remember seeing a darker area, didn't have much luck cleaning it with a toothbrush when I tried iirc)

Would this be just plasticising or could there be algae because I left the loop a lone for so long? Recommendation for replacing tubing or cleaning? I was going to run pure deionised water through rad/tubing for a bit then some more with biocide in it before I connect up the blocks but should I do more?

Old 16-09-13, 02:13 PM
OC3D Elite

Tubing is so inexpensive I'd replace the tubing. What coolant were you using?

It sounds like plasticizing which is usually white, is there anything in any of the rads or other components when you flush them?

Old 16-09-13, 02:20 PM

Using deionised water from carplan + pulse modding PHN bioclear, can't see anything in the water that I got out but I haven't fully flushed them yet.
Old 16-09-13, 02:22 PM
OC3D Elite

mine did that when i used mayhems pastel. switched to regular style coolants and changed to masterkleer and havent had the same issue since
Corsair 900D.
Old 16-09-13, 02:22 PM
The Webmaster

Just replace the tube, darkened areas on Copper blocks is fairly normal. If you've toothbrushed it I would say that's sufficient to remove anything that would cause issue.
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | NZXT Hale 90 v2 1000w | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Pure - White | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702 Reference Headphones | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 16-09-13, 02:42 PM

Alright thanks for the help, btw nothing came out after i had run a litre through the tubing and rad. So what's the current recommendation for 10/13 tubing? Ideally black but it's out of sight so colour doesn't matter, currently using XSPC for both 10/16 UV green and 10/13 black tubing iirc

EDIT:: 10/13 Was Alphacool tubing

EDIT:: Went and brought a retail box of Masterkleer 10-13mm UV Green, seemed like the cheapest good brand available.
Old 16-09-13, 05:33 PM
OC3D Crew

That is plasticizer,unavoidable for regular tube users im afraid,change tube regularly and keep an eye on flow rates as the plasticizer can sludge the jet plates of CPU blocks.

The black on bare copper is copper oxide,its a good corrosion inhibitor,if you cant see it then leave it as it will protect the copper from corrosion.

Old 16-09-13, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Buy yourself some primochill advanced LRT tubing, they do it in 13/10
Old 16-09-13, 10:38 PM
OC3D Elite

primo advanced LRT is good stuff

the white is also normal from some biocides specially when a tad to much may of been used.
WD Black 649Gb 64mb Sata 6GB/s
HIS 7970's in xfire
Custom water Cooled
Corsair AX860
Corsair Air540