Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards

Old 16-09-13, 11:41 AM
OC3D Crew

Troubleshoot AMD videocard crashing.

Where to start......

I run my HD 4870 which to be fair to it is still a pretty decent card for the stuff I use it for.......
It was bought 2nd hand form ebay, and has run fine apart from twice.

About 5-6months of use it started to get the atimkdag.sys driver error, but after a lot of searching, I found there is no real fix......eventually this seemed to fix itself and was running fine for the last 4 months....

Last night while playing COD4 my screen just went black and got the No Video Signal message, shortly after the game sounds froze up.....(black screen crash)

Now, I removed the card, cleaned it up, and got rid of dust and put it all back together again and booted up....

I can do everything fine (web browse, watching films, youtube, emails, even posting this thread) but when I try to play COD4, MW3, BO2 or Tricky Truck its loads each of the menu screens, but when it actually goes to load the play screen (where you can start moving around) I get a variety of different crash screens.....

Sometimes its a black-white vertical lines screen, other times it can be plain white with flashing red squares all over the place and even straight to BSoD (atimkdag.sys)

All things I've done in the past dont seem to be working, but what is getting me is that if I dont load a games, everything is fine.

I've just used Driversweeper to remove all AMD, and uninstalled the Device manager 4800 series driver... and have installed the catalyst set 13.1 so I'm back to where I was in regards of drivers, just this time all fresh...

Am I missing something ?

Edit:
I'm soon to be looking at getting an upgrade to a 7950/760/670 kinda card, but for now I want to sort this out....

Old 16-09-13, 11:56 AM
The Guvnor

Card is broken mate, probably memory.

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 16-09-13, 11:58 AM
The Webmaster

What card did you have previous to this one?
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | NZXT Hale 90 v2 1000w | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Pure - White | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702 Reference Headphones | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Notice: Don't feed the trolls!

SPS : Apparently they bend if you sit on them in your back pocket - which fucking spasticated mother fucker puts a phone in their back pocket
Old 16-09-13, 12:06 PM
News Guru

I have to agree with tom on this. It sounds broken.

with you uninstalling, then sweeping and reinstalling the drivers, that takes a software issue out of the equation. Which sadly only leaves the card at fault, not surprising given how old that card is.
Old 16-09-13, 12:16 PM
OC3D Crew

Dammit, my suspicions were correct then.

The 4870 has been the only card since it was built....

I'll be trying my wife's 7750 to rule out anything else though.

looks like im heading to the wanted section..... Lol

EDIT

I've inspected my card for any blown capacitors etc, at it looks fine.....
Best software to use to test my videocard to find faults......I heard bad things about Furmark cooking videocards
Old 16-09-13, 12:43 PM
The Webmaster

yeah don't use furmark.
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | NZXT Hale 90 v2 1000w | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Pure - White | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702 Reference Headphones | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Notice: Don't feed the trolls!

SPS : Apparently they bend if you sit on them in your back pocket - which fucking spasticated mother fucker puts a phone in their back pocket
Old 16-09-13, 01:00 PM
OC3D Elite

You could also try putting new thermal paste on as if your card was dirty and old it has probably dried out and is over heating
MSI Z77 Mpower = Intel I7 3770K = 2 x Sapphire HD7970 3GB OC with Boost in X-Fire = 16 Gig Corsair Vengeance White LP @1600 = Corsair H100i = 2xSamsung 840 Evo 250GB raid0 = 3xWestern Digital Green 3TB = Audio-Technica ATX-AD700X = Logitech Z5500 = Corsair K70 Silver = Corsair M65 Black = Corsair MM600 = Corsair AX850 = Corsair White Individual Braided Cables = 3x AOC e2352Phz = Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium = LG Bluray Burner = Socomec UPS = Windows 8.1 Pro.
Old 16-09-13, 01:31 PM

To me it looks like you GPU is failing, it is quite common on old cards, i doubt that is is the memory.

Most of the time it GPU soldering problems, there are ways you can fix this , but it is temporary.
if you are tight on budget , you can try to go with the fix,
if you have a heatgun.
Old 16-09-13, 01:59 PM
OC3D Crew

I'm running the card on a Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo II which I sorted my self, including the ram heatsinks and has been fine......

After a lot of Crashes and Trial and Errors, I've got my card semi-working.....

I've had to set the card up using:
GPU Clock 500mhz
Memory Clock 900mhz

Which is a serious underclock, but it does mean that i can still play my games......
It should buy me enough time to source a 7950 performance card, hopefully around the £150 mark (as i have this currently saved), but I might end up getting a 7870 Tahiti from a retailer with the Warranty.....
Old 16-09-13, 02:02 PM

just want to say, until the card is fixed, you can run it as cool as you want even on liquid nitrogen it still will not work