Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 15-09-13, 07:54 PM
Enjoyablenewt Enjoyablenewt is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2
£2500 Gaming rig

Hope you chaps can help, always been an amd fan but willing to try anything to have the best bang for my hard earned pounds,

Where are you located? Yorkshire,England

What is your budget? £2500

Will you need a monitor, keyboard, and/or mouse included in that budget? NO

Shall you be requiring an OS? NO

What will you be using this rig for? Gaming

If gaming, what resolution will you be playing at? 2560x1440

Will you be overclocking?Yes

Do you need a full build or will you be reusing some old parts? Full build

Thanks

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15-09-13, 08:09 PM
ahpadt ahpadt is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 25
What I would try to squeeze in:

i7-4770K (go down to 4670K should the money not be enough for the other parts)
16GB RAM (f.ex Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz or more)
Asus M6 Hero?
GTX 780 x 2 (SLI)
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB x 2 (RAID0) as stupid fast system drive
WD Red's for storage
Wait for the Corsair 750D in terms of case
PSU up for argument (I'd pick the Corsair AX860i maybe?)
Corsair H100i CPU cooler
__________________
i5-4670K, Asus Maximus 6 Gene, 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600Mhz
Asus GTX 770, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, 2x WD Black 2TB
Corsair AX760i, Corsair 350D, Corsair H100i

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15-09-13, 08:10 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
I give BAD advise
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,537
Watercooling or air? If watercooling will it be something like a h100i or custom? that will rework the budget a little bit.

What will the colors be like? Or does it not matter? Case with window? Lighting?

Just to get a feel for the rig is why i ask these questions. With you not requiring very much except internal hardware this budget it quite large so many things can be added purely for aesthetics.

I would advise to hold out on a GPU. AMD will be announcing new ones on Sept 25th. Supposed to be a 9970(or whatever they call it) at titan speeds but at 780 prices.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15-09-13, 08:13 PM
Cru's Avatar
Cru Cru is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahpadt View Post
What I would try to squeeze in:

i7-4770K (go down to 4670K should the money not be enough for the other parts)
16GB RAM (f.ex Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz or more)
Asus M6 Hero?
GTX 780 x 2 (SLI)
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB x 2 (RAID0) as stupid fast system drive
WD Red's for storage
Wait for the Corsair 750D in terms of case
PSU up for argument (I'd pick the Corsair AX860i maybe?)
Corsair H100i CPU cooler

16gb ram is not needed
reds are for raid
750d is kinda pointless with h100i


Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Watercooling or air? If watercooling will it be something like a h100i or custom? that will rework the budget a little bit.

What will the colors be like? Or does it not matter? Case with window? Lighting?

Just to get a feel for the rig is why i ask these questions. With you not requiring very much except internal hardware this budget it quite large so many things can be added purely for aesthetics.

I would advise to hold out on a GPU. AMD will be announcing new ones on Sept 25th. Supposed to be a 9970(or whatever they call it) at titan speeds but at 780 prices.
this.
wait for benchmarks of the new amd cards
__________________


you can click on that
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15-09-13, 08:14 PM
barnsley's Avatar
barnsley barnsley is offline
born in a.....
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cambridge,UK
Posts: 3,976
Hey and welcome to the forums . For your budget I'd recommend going with an intel processor as with your budget you can comfortably have one.

Here is my rough suggestion for you:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (if you are just gaming there is little need to go for the i7 imo)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (solid motherboard, not the most expensive one, but as Tom showed recently, you can still get decent overclocks on it)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600mhz
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (super fast for all your games)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (storage for stuff and backups)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (quicker than a titan in some tests and overclocks really well)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case (personal fave case, although you could go for something different)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
Total: £1869.66

This is just a basic guesstimate if you wanted to build something asap, you'd probably do better to wait for the new AMD cards as stated by others.
__________________
Rigs: Spur (inwin 901, gtx 780,i7 4770k) being built|Herman (pentium G3258,custom loop)|Octobox (8320@4.2ghz, Asus 280x@ 1110/1500mem)
Laptops: Lenovo yoga pro|Lenovo X61s
OC3D starcitizen group Join today!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15-09-13, 08:16 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
I give BAD advise
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
Hey and welcome to the forums . For your budget I'd recommend going with an intel processor as with your budget you can comfortably have one.

Here is my rough suggestion for you:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (if you are just gaming there is little need to go for the i7 imo)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (solid motherboard, not the most expensive one, but as Tom showed recently, you can still get decent overclocks on it)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600mhz
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (super fast for all your games)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (storage for stuff and backups)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (quicker than a titan in some tests and overclocks really well)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case (personal fave case, although you could go for something different)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
Total: £1869.66

This is just a basic guesstimate if you wanted to build something asap, you'd probably do better to wait for the new AMD cards as stated by others.

With a budget like this i would ONLY put in ssds. No need for HDDs.
Also for a desktop build never get OEM windows. Just get a retail version.
Other than that solid advice but just voicing my opinion on it
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15-09-13, 09:17 PM
Enjoyablenewt Enjoyablenewt is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2
Thanks for the advice, you've given me something to think about, really appreciate the advice
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 15-09-13, 09:59 PM
barnsley's Avatar
barnsley barnsley is offline
born in a.....
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cambridge,UK
Posts: 3,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
With a budget like this i would ONLY put in ssds. No need for HDDs.
I'd normally agree but nothing wrong with a backup on a good ol' hdd .
__________________
Rigs: Spur (inwin 901, gtx 780,i7 4770k) being built|Herman (pentium G3258,custom loop)|Octobox (8320@4.2ghz, Asus 280x@ 1110/1500mem)
Laptops: Lenovo yoga pro|Lenovo X61s
OC3D starcitizen group Join today!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 15-09-13, 11:13 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
I give BAD advise
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
I'd normally agree but nothing wrong with a backup on a good ol' hdd .
External drive dude lol

Anything you need more clarification on OP?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 16-09-13, 07:13 AM
B3rni3 B3rni3 is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 591
I built a system for a my mate that would do you nicely.

Cpu: Intel 4670k
Cooler: Corsair H100i with sp120 quite editions (definately change the fans)
Motherboard: His was an msi mpower but you could go for the red and black gigabyte one also
Ram: Kingston Hyper x 16gb @ 2400mhz
SSD: Samsung Pro 512 gb
Hdd: Western digital 2tb green, you dont need ssd's for movies and music and other apps like mumble and vent etc. Use your ssd for the os and games and you will have loads of space. The hdd will be more a secondary space drive and you wont need the extra speed a black gives you.
Psu: Corsair AXi860 watt will be plenty and they off easy plug and play coloured cables if you want them too.
GPU: He went with the EVGA super overclocked gtx780 and it is an amazing card so I would recommend that maybe even sli with your budget.
Case: Get one you like and have a read of some reviews before buying. Case is a very subjective thing imo so get the one you like the look of.


To be honest man, you shouldn't really need a 4770k for gaming or an ssd for everything. You probably wont notice a difference. Just my advice.
__________________


Case: Cosmos 2 Cpu: 3930k @ 4.6 ghz Mobo: Sabertooth CoolerH100 with Sp120 Quiet ed Ram: 16GB Vengence Gpu: Gtx 680 Sli w/ EVGA Backplates Psu: Ax760 Hdd: 2TB seagate green Ssd: 120GB Corsair Force GT + 240GB Sandisk Extreme
Nr. #002
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT. The time now is 01:17 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.