Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 08-07-13, 10:17 AM
tinytomlogan's Avatar
tinytomlogan tinytomlogan is offline
The Guvnor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TTL Towers
Posts: 14,758
Water Cooling Kit Group-Test

XSPC, EK, AlphaCool and Phobya do battle. Who will be crowned king of the 240mm radiator Water Cooling kits





Continue Reading

__________________

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-07-13, 10:38 AM
bofeming's Avatar
bofeming bofeming is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 27
Nice review TTL, I really apreciate this beacause I was wondering to buy a kit, and I think the EK looks better for me.
Maybe in the near future I can buy some loop expansion, like other rad, better pump/res and a block for my GC.
Do you think it will be worth? Or should I buy a custom loop directly.
Must say that this gonna be my 1st custom WC project.

Thx again for the review
__________________
3570K @4.2-MSI z77 G45-Asus GTX580 CUII-8GB G.Skill Ripjaws-1.5TB Barracuda 7200rpm-Antec HCG 620M-Corsair Carbide 500R-Zalman LQ310-x2 Cougar CF-V12HP
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-07-13, 10:45 AM
SieB's Avatar
SieB SieB is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dudley
Posts: 7,127
Interesting read, would be good to see more reviews like this

I'm surprised at the performance of the XSPC RS rad, given that it's the thinnest out of the lot. Not much in it at all though really, unless you are trying to get the lowest temps possible, it doesn't really matter which kit you go with.
__________________
NZXT Switch 810 - i5 2500k - Gigabyte Z68 UD3H - 8gb 1600mhz Mushkin Blackline - Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 - Samsung F3 1tb HDD - Samsung 256gb 840 Pro SSD - Corsair H100 - Corsair HX850.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-07-13, 10:56 AM
tinytomlogan's Avatar
tinytomlogan tinytomlogan is offline
The Guvnor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TTL Towers
Posts: 14,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by bofeming View Post
Nice review TTL, I really apreciate this beacause I was wondering to buy a kit, and I think the EK looks better for me.
Maybe in the near future I can buy some loop expansion, like other rad, better pump/res and a block for my GC.
Do you think it will be worth? Or should I buy a custom loop directly.
Must say that this gonna be my 1st custom WC project.

Thx again for the review

G-Dubs did this review dude. I may own OC3D but theres VB and Gdubs doing reviews too dudio
__________________

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-07-13, 12:48 PM
Greenback Greenback is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 302
Thanks Gary for the time you put in to this I have been hoping for something like this.
As SieB said the xspc rs240 result was interesting and makes you wonder how the RX240 kit would of done. (I don't expect you to do it you have done a good job here)
I think it also shows that in all fairness if you are only looking at a cpu loop and never want to upgrade the AIO's are a viable option considering they are cheaper and you could put Gt ap15's or nf-f12's with the money you would save, And probably get near on the same results
__________________
CASE: HAF-X
CPU: INTEL 2500K OC 4.7
MB: ASUS P8P67 DELUXE
RAM: 2x 8GB Mushkin Enhanced BlackLine Frostbyte
GPU: VTX3D BLACK 7870
OS: OCZ VERTEX4 128GB
PSU: 800W Mushkin Enhanced Joule
COOLING WATER
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-07-13, 01:35 PM
tinytomlogan's Avatar
tinytomlogan tinytomlogan is offline
The Guvnor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TTL Towers
Posts: 14,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
Thanks Gary for the time you put in to this I have been hoping for something like this.
As SieB said the xspc rs240 result was interesting and makes you wonder how the RX240 kit would of done. (I don't expect you to do it you have done a good job here)
I think it also shows that in all fairness if you are only looking at a cpu loop and never want to upgrade the AIO's are a viable option considering they are cheaper and you could put Gt ap15's or nf-f12's with the money you would save, And probably get near on the same results

The RX240 would have scored much the same as the phobya, the CPU isnt maxing the rads hence the temps. Having a bigger rad just means better low speed fan results if you look........
__________________

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-07-13, 02:21 PM
lwatcdr lwatcdr is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 15
Good review

I was surprised how well the H110 and H100i held up. Seems like AIOs are pretty good these days.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-07-13, 02:22 PM
tinytomlogan's Avatar
tinytomlogan tinytomlogan is offline
The Guvnor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TTL Towers
Posts: 14,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwatcdr View Post
I was surprised how well the H110 and H100i held up. Seems like AIOs are pretty good these days.
Its not THAT surprising tbh. These style kits are as low as I would ever go tbh.

IMHO water is all about aesthetics and low fan speeds with better than air load temps.
__________________

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-07-13, 02:41 PM
Montysaurus Montysaurus is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8
Great review TTL

I just ordered my first XSPC WC kit from Specialtech and find your beginners Vids on their site extremely helpful. This set of reviews has been really informative regarding the instructions which come with the kits and I'm glad I went with XSPC.
Thanks again TTL and all the crew at OC3d for all the hard work and getting us the info.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-07-13, 02:47 PM
airdeano airdeano is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: arkansas USA
Posts: 2,895
i love a good ole shootout.. great review gary!

watching the graphs shrink with voltage increase was interesting, as the 1.45v
"weed out" temperatures showed kit brawniness.
very good..

(side note: in the graphs Raystorm is Raysorm)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT. The time now is 11:10 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.