Old 17-09-06, 10:04 AM

fps drop on css - help :D

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+

Seagate 120GB

2GB Corsair

ABIT KN8-SLI

7600GT 256mb

Telstra 512/128 broadband

Hey, sorry to be a pain but I'm in a bit of greif >_< if someone could help that'd be nice...

I have been getting these random FPS drops on CSS for a while now and ive been trying to fix it, tonight its really ed me off as you can see :P. After about 5-10 minutes of playing my fps drops down to about 40 and wont really go up too much higher. This doesn't always happen and when my computer is running properly it is a beast . I have tryed lots of different things such as, setting the affinity for CSS, changing the heapsize to suit the ammount of ram i have, i have updated drivers and i have done this tutorial (http://www.overclock3d.net/articles...._hotfix_patch).. twice! I have also tryed reinstalling CSS, but nope.

Something interesting - when I am on ventrilo and I get these FPS drops, while I am playing i seem to get 'two second lag' which makes it so when i press a key or fire a gun it takes a couple seconds to respond.. this lag gets worse in firefights and I am forced to get off vent.

Also these fps drops don't SEEM to happen with other games like wc3 and bf2 (wc3 used to do some queer but fixed after a little while of me trying to fix it)

I THINK it may have something to do with my CPU but I really have not much clue. (not a computer wiz)

Any help would be good even if you can't help me fix it. If you just have some information which could be useful such as, where the fault may be in my computer, please tell, all the info I can get is helpful.

Thanks! ^^

Old 17-09-06, 10:08 AM
OC3D Elite

you could try the Dual Core patch, we have a guide in our guides section. also try setting ventrillo to run on a single core

Old 17-09-06, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='llwyd'
you could try the Dual Core patch, we have a guide in our guides section. also try setting ventrillo to run on a single core
tryed that already, nope
Old 17-09-06, 10:16 AM
OC3D Elite

Scaarj - what hal setting u install wondo$e under ?
Old 17-09-06, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'
what do you mean? o.0
Old 17-09-06, 10:32 AM
OC3D Elite

During the windo$e installation procedure, u get the option to hit F6 to install stuff, ultimately u can press f5/7/10 and go into a dos style selector which asks you what kind of processor setup your computer has.

I haven`t mentioned this as anything that I think has a bearing on the fps drop, but as a AMD x2 user I was interested as to what you selected.

Often during windows installations, if nothing is selected from the hal, it will assume the ACPI Processor arrangement and install windows accordingly - this will include all the hibernate/standby/power-saving stuff that as a desktop game playing pc - the average game player will not want/need and it does effect the efficiency of windows, including fps.

When I looked in hal, all I could see that was semi-relevent was ACPI Multiprocessor, so I selected it - but I`d rather not have coz the ACPI stuff is not required and hampers the system unecessarily.

I just asked out of interest, you can tell if your pc is using the x2 as a dual core and not a single processor by going to CP->System->Hardware->Devicemanager and see if 2 processor drivers are installed in the Processor listing. If there`s only 1, windows is using u`r x2 as a single core.
Old 17-09-06, 10:35 AM
OC3D Elite

HAL - Hardware Abstraction Layer

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'
You've got me there too mate. Erm the Windows kernel or the device driver I guess rofl :rollingla

I'm thinking it's ventrilo that's part of the issue. Try deactivating direct sound and using wave, and see if that helps.

Oh Hi too Scaarj. I see Telstra DSL, you must be an Aussie
Old 17-09-06, 10:43 AM

vent doesnt have to be running for it to happen, it makes it worse though >_> but ill try that, ta

sure am aussie
Old 17-09-06, 10:48 AM
OC3D Elite

does Vent have any animations to it? that could be a problem aswell. is your graphics card OCd?

Old 17-09-06, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='llwyd'
does Vent have any animations to it? that could be a problem aswell. is your graphics card OCd?
im not sure bout the animations question?? but my graphics card isnt OC'd id prefer to keep it that way