Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 07-04-13, 07:34 AM
OC3D Crew

Hi Archmage ,As you discovered MSI's webpage is really out of date . I've found out if you go to the manufacturers webpage of the ram you want to use they're much more up to date as to which motherboard the'll work in, At least G Skill is.
I don't have an M power board but their Ares ram works perfect on my board.

Corsair 650D, MSI Z77A-GD65 , I7-3770k, Corsair H100i w/sp120 QE ,G.Skill Ares 16gb 2133 c9, Asus Blu-Ray Burner, Asus Xonar STX ,Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb ,W.D. black 1TB ,Seagate 3TB, MSI GTX 680 Lightning, Corsair AX760i ,Case Fans : Front : CM 200 blue,Rear : Corsair AF 120 PE , Klipsch 2.1 , Sennheiser HD650 , 2 x Samsung 23" 1080p , Logitech G710+
Old 07-04-13, 07:58 AM

I've used the MSI Updater 5 for flashing the BIOS.
I know some people may shout at me, for not using the USB Option but, andrevautour told me it's fine, so I gave it a shot and it worked perfect.

The Problem with the Boot Priortity (Pictures/Icons) sounds weird, never experienced something like that.

Whats with Stock Settings for CPU and Ram?
Everything fine then?What's your Voltage if you take on of the XMP Profiles, I mean the Real voltage not that one of the Profile?

I asked because, when I choose a specific voltage e.g. 1.65 V then enter, I get 1.64333.

Maybe the Profile says 1.5x and the real voltage is 1.4?

Just have a look.
Corsair Obsidian 750D | MSI Z77 M-Power | i7 3770k @4.4GHz | Sapphire 7950oc @ 1.1GHz/1.45GHz | 16GB G-Skill Ripjawz 2133 @2400 | Corsair AX 850 | Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Custom-Loop liquid cooling

Fractal Design Arc Midi | MSI Z77 M-Power | i5 3570k @Stock | Club 3D 7870 Joker Card | 16GB G-Skill Ripjawz 2133 @2400 | BeQuiet 530W | Samsung 840 125GB | Samsung 750GB | Corsair H100
Old 09-04-13, 02:13 PM

Sorry for the delayed reply,having problems with my fingers at th moment.
I checked the actual ram voltage, at the test point, and it was fairly close to that listed in the hardware monitoring part of the bios (sorry again,sat in hospital so can't see menu options).
The bios does some really odd things with the ram voltage. Spd and xmp setting have it at 1.5v. Yet, when I manually set the frequency above 1333, the actual ram voltage gets set to 1.65v. While I've been playing with it, I manually fixed the voltage at 1.51v. I couldn't set 1.5 as it always selects auto.
The errors you see in set to actual volts are caused by rounding errors in the D to A converter. It's probably only 9 or 10 bit in resolution. 9 bit gives you a precision of range/512; 512 different values between lowest and highest, and they probably cap the range too.
I've also dropped Corsair support an email regarding the 2133 ddr3 ram. They have a ram selection tool on their website, and oddly, none of the 77 series motherboards by anybody, have this ram as an option. They say the ram is fully tested at that and includes xmp settings for numpties, so I've asked which boards it DOES work in!
Currently have proc at stock volts and freq, as also the ram. As prev mentioned,the OC Genie function will only get past error 55 if I "customise" the Genie settings to fix the ram freq and voltage.
It's currently running Windows 7 fine on bios 17.5 as 17.7 gave bios crashes and no other improvements.
Old 09-04-13, 03:09 PM
OC3D Elite

I had a similar situation recently with some Patriot 1866 on an mpower where the XMP just wasn't stable (tried setting the same settings manually too). Also tried it on a gd65 with the same results.

I had a play and tried different settings. It was easy to get stable at 1333, 1600, 1800...and overclocked all the way up to 2000, 2133 and 2200 but still not at 1866 regardless what I set. I still have no idea why not. It simply would not boot at 1866.

Anyway - if you haven't already tried it I'd suggest you type in the settings for your RAM as they are listed but change the frequency to 2000 or 2200 (should be enough headroom for a few extra hertz on stock settings). Worth a shot probably.

I'd suggest that you run HCI memtest in windows to 1000% to make sure your RAM isn't dodgy at which ever setting you decide on.

I never resolved the issue I had. I RMA'd the RAM and got the same issue with the new set so it was Mobo related. I ended up setting one of the overclocks anyway.

OC3D Overclockers Club Member #006 (Alec Trevelyan was always harder than Bond anyway)
Old 09-04-13, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master&Puppet View Post
I had a similar situation recently with some Patriot 1866 on an mpower where the XMP just wasn't stable.

Anyway - if you haven't already tried it I'd suggest you type in the settings for your RAM as they are listed but change the frequency to 2000 or 2200 (should be enough headroom for a few extra hertz on stock settings). Worth a shot probably.
Thanks for the reply Master&Puppet.
I've tried 2000 with the timing on auto and it POSTs fine. Oddly, the timing it picks are the XMP ones, but it ignores the voltage and sets it to 1.65V! I then manually fixed the voltage at 1.5Vish, because of the auto mode problem. It ran memtest86 ok. I haven't tried the XMP timings at 2200 though. It might not be till the weekend but I'll give that a go.
I've asked Corsair for a list of motherboards supported by their LP Vengeance 2133 as I struggled to find any boards at all using their ram selection tool.
Old 09-04-13, 05:16 PM
OC3D Elite

sounds like the bus-rate is messed up. like its on a 100MHz bus and not 133MHz
using even dividers. hence 1600/1800/2000 speeds its fine, but the 1866/2133
just wont fire...
Old 09-04-13, 06:42 PM

To follow up, I've had an email from Scan tech support and they say the problem could be with the processor, not the MB! I've to try each stick on its own.
Old 06-08-13, 04:50 AM

mPower Z77; Error 55 (possible solution)

I have read this thread because I too was having trouble with the mPower Z77 MB. I recently installed a Corsair H80i CPU cooler. The PC would continue to display Error 55. I read elsewhere that the CPU pins might be misaligned and that straightening them out could very likely solve the problem. I ruled out the water cooler as a problem and found one pin out of alignment in the bottom right of the CPU socket. This very likely happened when taking the CPU out for cleaning (I had a stock fan installed for a while and there was a bit of dust around the socket). The PC now runs fine. I'll give an update on the success of the water cooler installation once it's complete. I reckon it should work.
Cheers!

Update: The PC is operational again. I forgot to mention this in my initial response, I used a magnifying glass and a loupe to examine the pins. I used a thin metal poker used in pottery to straighten the misaligned pin.